One year passed, why cant I duel my friends?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sleel.8365

Sleel.8365

Do you have any idea how many people that want duels will get on here and complain about how dynamic events disturb your precious duels? Go to WvW and duel on the bl behind the wind mill like everyone else.

I dont think anyone would post something like that. Be realistic. If anything, they will move their duel to somewhere else.

WvW duels happen, they are fun, but we cant duel people in our own server. Spvp is out of the question, the thing that spawns when I join Mysts is NOT the character I grew up with.

Do you read the forums? The stupid complaints/suggestions take up at minimum 33% of the space.
I agree that there needs to be somewhere for players to be able to duel their friends [guild halls?] but not in the open world. I would love to test new builds against my friends in a nice quiet corner or battle randoms in front of an audience but like i said not in PvE.

There is. It’s called the Mists. Guildie drags me there to test builds on her toons. Find an empty arena. Duel away. There is never a shortage of empty arenas.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

I pretty much never say this but there’s SIGNIFICANTLY more important things for them to add/fix before this dueling can start. You can already duel if you really want to, in wvw or spvp. Before they add any kind of dueling, plz give us end game and none sucky pvp objectives such as capping circles in tiny kitten maps. Give me TDM/attack defend/CTF before any kind of useless dueling arenas are implemented.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

in Suggestions

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

As someone who’s more on the roleplayer side of things than of hardcore ownage PvP, I’d like to see duelling, actually. It creates community. I usually turn on “auto-decline duels” in games where the option exists. However, I always think its really cool when you pass through a place like the gates of Orgrimmar and see a bunch of duellers going at it, with spectators coalescing nearby.

Sort of like what happens here with the costume brawl box o’ fun.

Want to integrate it into the “flavor” of GW2? Make it a dynamic event. As part of a Living World update, add fighting pits all over Tyria, or just in select spots, where two people can register as combatants. Maybe use the bundle system to normalize them to an 80 in full zerker’s stats, even if they’re both level 2.

There’s certainly compromise possible here, no need to go “go play that other game if you want duels”.

User was infracted for being awesome.

in Suggestions

Posted by: dcypher.2590

dcypher.2590

all i see here is a bunch of ‘i don’t want dueling because someone else might challenge me sometime’. if you are that afraid of other people, then I don’t think mmo’s are your thing. Part of a game being an mmo is having a bunch of different people who like to do different things. If someone else wants to duel then I don’t see the big deal. Decline.

Acting like it’s going to all of a sudden open up some huge troll invasion to spoil your fun is so unrealistic and to be honest a bit selfish. There are plenty of ways for people to troll you already in the game, so if you haven’t been effected as of yet then chances are you won’t be in the future.

I don’t know, maybe I’m crazy, but all I see is people who want some kind of implementation of a system that can absolutely be beneficial to a lot of players in their quest to hone their skills and then a bunch of people who are against it because they fear player interaction. Then again, I guess there is really no legitimate defense to something you wouldn’t be required to participate in.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Anet has gone to great lengths to separate PvE from PvP. It’s been a theme of theirs since Guild Wars 1.

You want duels…have them….in a separate space, not the open world. Let Anet make a huge dueling map if they want, but I want a choice to be away from that. Because even if I could auto decline duels, I’d prefer not having dueling interfering with other stuff I’m doing, even if it’s just crafting or looking at my bank.

Read my thread, dueling will have to be outside major cities for that reason.

Hopefully it will be away from DE’s too. Dueling in the middle of a DE would be annoying as hell.

in Suggestions

Vayne.8563

all i see here is a bunch of ‘i don’t want dueling because someone else might challenge me sometime’. if you are that afraid of other people, then I don’t think mmo’s are your thing. Part of a game being an mmo is having a bunch of different people who like to do different things. If someone else wants to duel then I don’t see the big deal. Decline.

Acting like it’s going to all of a sudden open up some huge troll invasion to spoil your fun is so unrealistic and to be honest a bit selfish. There are plenty of ways for people to troll you already in the game, so if you haven’t been effected as of yet then chances are you won’t be in the future.

I don’t know, maybe I’m crazy, but all I see is people who want some kind of implementation of a system that can absolutely be beneficial to a lot of players in their quest to hone their skills and then a bunch of people who are against it because they fear player interaction. Then again, I guess there is really no legitimate defense to something you wouldn’t be required to participate in.

Maybe you missed the old days of Goldshire in WoW, where people would stand to challenge players to duels, whether you wanted to duel or not. And if you didn’t duel they’d follow you around, jump up and down on top of you, try to steal your kills.

It’s not the dueling itself that’s the problem, it’s the idiots who think the option to duel means the right to grief. It appeals to a certain type of player. Guild Wars 1 didn’t have dueling ever. Because it was aimed at a different sort of player.

It’s nice to believe that all the people who are against it are simply against it because they don’t want you to have fun…but it’s not true.

People are against it because they’ve had bad experience with the dueling rif-raff in the past.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gilburt.9146

Gilburt.9146

I would love a dueling system because I want to duel my friends using WvW traits/skills/gear. Would be good practice for roaming. Right now it’s impossible to duel them under such circumstances without wasting dozens of gold on server transfers. Obviously not going to do that.

Brother Gilburt – Guard / Agent Gilburt – Thief

in Suggestions

dcypher.2590

Maybe you missed the old days of Goldshire in WoW, where people would stand to challenge players to duels, whether you wanted to duel or not. And if you didn’t duel they’d follow you around, jump up and down on top of you, try to steal your kills.

It’s not the dueling itself that’s the problem, it’s the idiots who think the option to duel means the right to grief. It appeals to a certain type of player. Guild Wars 1 didn’t have dueling ever. Because it was aimed at a different sort of player.

It’s nice to believe that all the people who are against it are simply against it because they don’t want you to have fun…but it’s not true.

People are against it because they’ve had bad experience with the dueling rif-raff in the past.

Oh..Goldshire. What’s that..one place in a whole world of places? Goldshire..the level 5 zone that you spend about 20 minutes in total? Referencing the 2006 version of wow to prove a point against dueling. Yea..that makes sense. Good thing for you people can’t steal kills in this game. I can log on right now and grief you if I wanted to. What would you do? Ignore me, most likely..report me..whatever. So what exactly would change in that if dueling was added? Nothing. Ergo..you figure out the rest.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

Well, you could duel in GW1 if you wanted to, but it wasn’t set up directly for it, that’s true.

I see your point about WoW, but it’s easy enough to set up dueling with restrictions to avoid what you describe. You can have a setting where you auto-decline duels or only allow dueling in certain areas etc.

The underlying issue as I see it, is that PvP hasn’t delivered in GW2 on different levels. WvW isn’t too bad even if it’s not your thing normally it can be fun to run around in there from time to time, but to be honest, PvP in GW1 still is much better than in GW2 and PvP was a strong suit in the franchise. So I am still a bit surprised that they haven’t done more with it.

Dueling is one of those things, but I would be interested to see some metrics about sPvP vs the rest of the game as a whole. My feeling is, that it’s not very popular although there may well be more people interested in it if it was set up a bit better.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

in Suggestions

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

Ok one last time. Someone answer please. Why the flying monkey kitten does it have to be across all PvE. Are you so busy that you don’t have time to go to a designated arenas or areas? If that’s the case why do I have to go to the mists for WvW?
@ dcypher You apparently didn’t read the thread or ignored arguments against dueling across all of PvE. It doesn’t matter this thread will be merged with all of the other dueling threads just like mounts, guild housing etc.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

in Suggestions

dcypher.2590

Ok one last time. Someone answer please. Why the flying monkey kitten does it have to be across all PvE. Are you so busy that you don’t have time to go to a designated arenas or areas? If that’s the case why do I have to go to the mists for WvW?
@ dcypher You apparently didn’t read the thread or ignored arguments against dueling across all of PvE. It doesn’t matter this thread will be merged with all of the other dueling threads just like mounts, guild housing etc.

Not quite. I read the whole thing. You seem to think dueling is just going to flag everyone for pvp or something. OMG you might walk past a couple people fighting each other. Day must be ruined.

and just to note, no one is saying it has to be anywhere specifically or that it can’t be a designated area. I’m sure that’d be fine…people are just talking about the implementation of it period.

(edited by dcypher.2590)

in Suggestions

Vayne.8563

Oh..Goldshire. What’s that..one place in a whole world of places? Goldshire..the level 5 zone that you spend about 20 minutes in total? Referencing the 2006 version of wow to prove a point against dueling. Yea..that makes sense. Good thing for you people can’t steal kills in this game. I can log on right now and grief you if I wanted to. What would you do? Ignore me, most likely..report me..whatever. So what exactly would change in that if dueling was added? Nothing. Ergo..you figure out the rest.

What would change is giving people a reason to talk to me in game in the first place. Complete strangers who have no reason to talk to me now.

Unlike some people, I don’t pug. I hang out with my guild. We have 120 members, most of whom I quite like, and no one that I dislike. It’s a pretty good gig. So I spend time talking to my guild, hanging out with my guild…and I wouldn’t even mind if I could duel in guild, because if I told someone in my guild no, they’d leave me alone.

But I don’t want to be forced to interact with 14 year olds who happen to want to duel me just because. I don’t want to play that game.

I used the Goldshire example, because people know it. There are other examples I could have used from over the years but not too many, because generally, I stay away from that crowd or games that try to force you to PvP. In fact, one of the reasons I hated Rift was the stupid PvP stuff spilling over into my PvE server. I didn’t want it, I didn’t like it and after 3, maybe 4 months, I left that game. Too much nonsense, because the company wanted to mix PvE and PvP. It took away from the game as a whole for me (and no that wasn’t the only reason I left, but it was one of them).

The bottom line is, you can disparage my example all you want, but it doesn’t change the fact that I don’t want dueling in the open world. I have no problem having dueling arenas where people can go and duel.

That’s called a compromise. Funny how those in favor of dueling aren’t willing to compromise, where I am, even though I have no interest in dueling.

in Suggestions

dcypher.2590

What would change is giving people a reason to talk to me in game in the first place. Complete strangers who have no reason to talk to me now.

Unlike some people, I don’t pug. I hang out with my guild. We have 120 members, most of whom I quite like, and no one that I dislike. It’s a pretty good gig. So I spend time talking to my guild, hanging out with my guild…and I wouldn’t even mind if I could duel in guild, because if I told someone in my guild no, they’d leave me alone.

But I don’t want to be forced to interact with 14 year olds who happen to want to duel me just because. I don’t want to play that game.

I used the Goldshire example, because people know it. There are other examples I could have used from over the years but not too many, because generally, I stay away from that crowd or games that try to force you to PvP. In fact, one of the reasons I hated Rift was the stupid PvP stuff spilling over into my PvE server. I didn’t want it, I didn’t like it and after 3, maybe 4 months, I left that game. Too much nonsense, because the company wanted to mix PvE and PvP. It took away from the game as a whole for me (and no that wasn’t the only reason I left, but it was one of them).

The bottom line is, you can disparage my example all you want, but it doesn’t change the fact that I don’t want dueling in the open world. I have no problem having dueling arenas where people can go and duel.

That’s called a compromise. Funny how those in favor of dueling aren’t willing to compromise, where I am, even though I have no interest in dueling.

Funny how all I read was a bunch of I’s and me’s in there. MMOs are bigger than you. Selfishness if you ask me. Some intense fear of someone challenging you to a duel that you’d probably be able to default decline anyway is irrational if you ask me.

Compromise is fine..and I don’t think anyone is asking for anything more than some kind of implementation. Arenanet can put whatever kind of spin on it they want..whether it be out in the open or somewhere designated…some kind of training grounds..whatever. Other people, like yourself, are just assuming it’s going to be goldshire 2006.

(edited by dcypher.2590)

in Suggestions

Gehenna.3625

Funny how all I read was a bunch of I’s and me’s in there. MMOs are bigger than you. Selfishness if you ask me. Some intense fear of someone challenging you to a duel that you’d probably be able to default decline anyway is irrational if you ask me.

Not a big fan of Mr Vayne here but to be fair, I prefer the I’s and me’s because it’s more honest to speak about yourself than an imaginary group of people that you think you represent. In the end we can only give our own opinion and let the rest pitch in and then we can see where the opinions lie.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

This thread perfectly illustrates why I do not want dueling in pVE.
We have it every month- people who want to duel come on saying that it won’t disrupt people who don’t want to.
When people state why they do not want dueling they get told they are being selfish or just plain wrong etc etc.
At the moment this is confined to an internet forum
Can you imagine what it would be like in game? yeah- shudders
no thanks
If you want to duel in your PvE gear do so in a designated area- with the option to the rest of us to avoid it like the plague.
Unless you are actually in the area you cannot receive a request to duel.

Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Morrigan.2809)

in Suggestions

dcypher.2590

Not a big fan of Mr Vayne here but to be fair, I prefer the I’s and me’s because it’s more honest to speak about yourself than an imaginary group of people that you think you represent. In the end we can only give our own opinion and let the rest pitch in and then we can see where the opinions lie.

I am not against him sharing his opinion, that’s fine. I just feel the big picture gets lost when you start talking all about yourself while seemingly forgetting that there are thousands of different players.

The truth is if dueling was implemented the right way it should never effect him or anyone else who doesn’t want to do it. Somewhere off in the corner or in a pit somewhere, who knows. The only way they could really drop the ball is if they attached achievements to it which they should absolutely not do if they decide to create something at all.

in Suggestions

Gehenna.3625

I am not against him sharing his opinion, that’s fine. I just feel the big picture gets lost when you start talking all about yourself while seemingly forgetting that there are thousands of different players.

And who decides what the big picture is? That’s my point, we don’t really know because we can only comment on what we experience ourselves. People who claim to know the big picture I find suspicious. Sure, we can see that there are people who like different things. That’s about as far as we can go on that though, because it’s all assumption beyond that.

The truth is if dueling was implemented the right way it should never effect him or anyone else who doesn’t want to do it. Somewhere off in the corner or in a pit somewhere, who knows. The only way they could really drop the ball is if they attached achievements to it which they should absolutely not do if they decide to create something at all.

I agree with this as you can see in my other post here. It’s not a matter of whether or not it should be implemented but how.

(edited by Gehenna.3625)

in Suggestions

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

Not quite. I read the whole thing. You seem to think dueling is just going to flag everyone for pvp or something. OMG you might walk past a couple people fighting each other. Day must be ruined.

and just to note, no one is saying it has to be anywhere specifically or that it can’t be a designated area. I’m sure that’d be fine…people are just talking about the implementation of it period.

If you had actually read the thread you would see that I have no problems with arenas or designated areas. I duel in WvW and enjoy watching duels. I was simply stating that some people seem to think that it should be all across Tyria and don’t have one good argument as to why it should be that way. Why should something be allowed to feed the trolls.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

in Suggestions

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’m not against dueling with restrictions.

That said, posters who say something to the effect that, “Your desire to not have dueling is selfish, but my desire to have dueling is right and wonderful.” are not doing their side of the discussion any favors. This is a game. Everyone has wants. No one’s wants are more important than anyone else’s. Trying to disenfranchise others by calling them selfish — or any other negative — is a sign of immaturity.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

in Suggestions

Vayne.8563

snip

Compromise is fine..and I don’t think anyone is asking for anything more than some kind of implementation. Arenanet can put whatever kind of spin on it they want..whether it be out in the open or somewhere designated…some kind of training grounds..whatever. Other people, like yourself, are just assuming it’s going to be goldshire 2006.

Right, I and me is who I speak for, because that’s all I’m entitled to speak for. But if you weren’t so anxious to prove me wrong, you’d see I’m not the only me here who feels this way. And when you have me and a bunch of other me’s it becomes a demographic. That’s right. There’s me and other people like me, who don’t like this change. So who’s being selfish. The guys who want to duel or the guys who don’t want to, or the guys like me who want to compromise.

So far, in an attempt to prove your point, you’ve managed to seem unreasonable and attack what I’m saying…trying to make it about me. Maybe you should read the posts by other people like me, and reconsider your response.

in Suggestions

Gehenna.3625

Trying to disenfranchise others by calling them selfish — or any other negative — is a sign of immaturity.

Can you see why I think this is very funny?

in Suggestions

dcypher.2590

You and an entire demographic is quite a stretch. But there I go being unreasonable again…

Opinions are good, yes and you do only speak for yourself, but that doesn’t mean you have to act oblivious to other people. Somehow for poking holes I am the one who looks self serving…oook. I’d like compromise too. If you look at the system as a system and not a package that brings along every bad thing that’s ever happened with it, you can see the benefits. That, to me, is no where near being unreasonable.

I’m not saying everyone agrees with me, I know they don’t. I just really feel like what I’m saying is common sense – that it is selfish to deny an entire system based on preconception and some experience someone had in goldshire in vanilla wow years ago before safeguards were put in place. All of a sudden anyone who wants to duel turns into a 14 year old who just wants to troll everyone.. Dueling does not have to be packaged with that.

I mean really this speaks volumes about how much faith everyone has in arenanet to implement something that wouldn’t turn out to be what people are fearing. They are perfectly capable of implementing a system that would allow duels without the ruckus. They already have shown that they are willing to do things with their own style, so why wouldn’t they be able to do this the same way?

in Suggestions

dcypher.2590

I’m not against dueling with restrictions.

That said, posters who say something to the effect that, “Your desire to not have dueling is selfish, but my desire to have dueling is right and wonderful.” are not doing their side of the discussion any favors. This is a game. Everyone has wants. No one’s wants are more important than anyone else’s. Trying to disenfranchise others by calling them selfish — or any other negative — is a sign of immaturity.

Immaturity? Oh Please, I barely even stated my wants if you read. All I did was poke holes in arguments that are based on preconceptions and complete disregard for people who may benefit from the system.

in Suggestions

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

I whole-heartedly agree with OP. But then again, there are many features (like multi trait specs) that are missing.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

Let me put it to you this way. Lets say you want pepperoni pizza, I want orange glazed chicken stir fry, and a third party wanted meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy. Would all of that drek be good blended together. I’m not against dueling. There are plenty of spots in PvE that are out of the way that could be dueling zones. The one thing I am against is black and white thinking – not even trying to see things from the other persons point of view.
Oh yeah rolls eyes.

Adding a Dueling mechanic doesn’t take away anything from other people.

Until they fix chat where a blocked player can’t frag with you still yeah it kinda does. It hasn’t happened to me yet but a lot of people I have run with have.

That’s a bug that exists right now though (one that I’ve heard of just now actually). I honestly don’t understand how people don’t want extra activities implemented in this game. People say they don’t want dueling in major cities because it’s annoying even though costume brawls are practically duels, but I don’t heakitten ep on the annoyances of those. My friends and I would LOVE this to be put into the game, especially since we wait around outside dungeons for a long time doing nothing and waiting for WvW to reset.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

You and an entire demographic is quite a stretch. But there I go being unreasonable again…

Opinions are good, yes and you do only speak for yourself, but that doesn’t mean you have to act oblivious to other people. Somehow for poking holes I am the one who looks self serving…oook. I’d like compromise too. If you look at the system as a system and not a package that brings along every bad thing that’s ever happened with it, you can see the benefits. That, to me, is no where near being unreasonable.

I’m not saying everyone agrees with me, I know they don’t. I just really feel like what I’m saying is common sense – that it is selfish to deny an entire system based on preconception and some experience someone had in goldshire in vanilla wow years ago before safeguards were put in place. All of a sudden anyone who wants to duel turns into a 14 year old who just wants to troll everyone.. Dueling does not have to be packaged with that.

I mean really this speaks volumes about how much faith everyone has in arenanet to implement something that wouldn’t turn out to be what people are fearing. They are perfectly capable of implementing a system that would allow duels without the ruckus. They already have shown that they are willing to do things with their own style, so why wouldn’t they be able to do this the same way?

Just for interest’s sake how do you feel about dueling in PvE gear in either an arena where people can spectate or in a designated area that is apart from PvE with no option to invite someone not in that area?

As for faith in Anet- I do have faith in Anet to do what is best for all people who play their game.
The fact that dueling doesn’t exist in open world after a year might be an indication that they do not think it is such a good idea

Gunnar’s Hold

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

^ This

From my point of view and more so opinions, Dueling would be a great feature to GW2….and I’d figure on the company name “ArenaNet” they’d be all in for dueling features. Honestly the PVE has multiple play areas. When I go out and explore the open world it makes me sad that no one even occupies the zones really unless it’s zerg farming in Frostgorge , or Orr. A lot of the nice places are often deserted. This is why i really can’t understand why people are so against the idea of Open World dueling, aside from not, wanting to see duels everywhere, or being spammed with duel invites etc. I think those are just really trivial things to worry about. Also Dueling in home cities, should only be allowed with those with a arena in it, I mean Black Citadel has the Bane…which is basically all about fighting/duels. Also think that it’s a good tool to prep you for PVP/WVW when you do get into small fights in such.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

(edited by Lucentfir.7430)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Do you have any idea how many people that want duels will get on here and complain about how dynamic events disturb your precious duels? Go to WvW and duel on the bl behind the wind mill like everyone else.

I dont think anyone would post something like that. Be realistic. If anything, they will move their duel to somewhere else.

WvW duels happen, they are fun, but we cant duel people in our own server. Spvp is out of the question, the thing that spawns when I join Mysts is NOT the character I grew up with.

suuuuuuuuure, just like people get along peachy in farmy CS and there is like no hostility between groups of contesting playstyle.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

I would prefer no dueling in the open world.

Any particular reason why?

I can understand being spam invited to a duel would be annoying, and others being like “DUEL ME! DULE ME NOW!!!” Can be a pain.

But I think it would be great for RPers and putting big headed, egotistical bashers in their place.

However I started with PvP in my background so I’m a bit bias.

A very particular reason why.

“OMG thieves are so OP I just got one shotted plz nerf!@!!!11”
“OMG Elementalists are so OP I just got one shotted plz nerf!@#!##!!!!”
“OMG Warrior are so OP …….

Well you ge the idea. No I am not exaggerating, yes it will happen and already does too much.

Yes I am against. If they ever implement it, I’ll have to live with it. Since you put it out there though, expect disagreement as much as agreement on the topic.

Best of luck. Seriously.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

+1 to dueling. I want to see it in game too.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

Duels would be awesome. Just thought i would show my support before this is merged into the suggestions forum.

This thread pops up every so often and it’s good to see more supporters this time around. However, i do recognize a lot of the same naysayers from the previous duel threads advocating against it without any supporting argument.

They should just have a vote for duels in game like the Kiel vs Gnashblade. Better indicator of player feelings than the small % of us that lurk the forums.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Svetli.4276

Svetli.4276

we cant have duels cuz 1v1 is absolutely unbalanced ><

“What you wish for may not be what she wishes for.” – Skull Knight

in Suggestions

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

Duels would be awesome. Just thought i would show my support before this is merged into the suggestions forum.

This thread pops up every so often and it’s good to see more supporters this time around. However, i do recognize a lot of the same naysayers from the previous duel threads advocating against it without any supporting argument.

They should just have a vote for duels in game like the Kiel vs Gnashblade. Better indicator of player feelings than the small % of us that lurk the forums.

What kind of supporting argument would you like? Would I like dueling in the game? No. Why do I need to support that? Would you like dueling? Yes. What more do you need to support this? It’s very cut and dry.

I’ve already stated my opinion as to why already however above, it has just as much as weight as any reason in favor of it. Personally I would prefer the game had no PvP at all, but that’s me.

I do however respect you desire for it. If they implement I will be happy for those who wanted it. I’ll be disappointed of course but c’est la vie.

in Suggestions

Posted by: crystal.5930

crystal.5930

I can understand being spam invited to a duel would be annoying, and others being like “DUEL ME! DULE ME NOW!!!” Can be a pain.

Exactly right. Make it some sort of arena event, more easily accessible than the one that apparently requires a 5-step plan (from the other thread on this topic). Absolutely no reason to have it in the open world, especially in a game that touts itself as the one where you’re ‘happy to see other players.’

Chosovi Rose, Thomas Thorn, Crystalbrier, Bracken Farstone, Crassul, on Tarnished Coast
“Worshipping nonsense and imagination” — Hayden Herrera (paraphrased)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rammie.2843

Rammie.2843

Brilliant! Dedicate 2 weeks of living story to whether we want duels or not! Just wow, you duelists really know your priorities.

Regardless, plenty of arguments have been given against duels. Or rather, than the current situation is fine. What most of you want is nothing but a public kitten ing contest and a way to gank unaware people in public.

in Suggestions

dcypher.2590

Just for interest’s sake how do you feel about dueling in PvE gear in either an arena where people can spectate or in a designated area that is apart from PvE with no option to invite someone not in that area?

As for faith in Anet- I do have faith in Anet to do what is best for all people who play their game.
The fact that dueling doesn’t exist in open world after a year might be an indication that they do not think it is such a good idea

I would not mind if dueling was an instanced area or arena. I think it would be very popular with people, especially with those who are teaching others how to hone their skills against different class setups. Dueling in PVE gear would be fine. The only problem I see is if they were to implement dueling in a manner where it becomes it’s own area with the ability for others to spectate, then it becomes bigger than just dueling…and would more than likely have achievements tied to it, which would in turn make it mandatory for some people. That’s where it would go from a good idea to bad.

in Suggestions

Mirta.5029

Brilliant! Dedicate 2 weeks of living story to whether we want duels or not! Just wow, you duelists really know your priorities.

Regardless, plenty of arguments have been given against duels. Or rather, than the current situation is fine. What most of you want is nothing but a public kitten ing contest and a way to gank unaware people in public.

I don’t know a single game where you can gank unaware people in dueling. Especially having in mind that MMOs normally have choices of pvp off – meaning that you can’t event be invited into a duel and on top of that you have to accept duels else no duel happens. All I want is to test all my characters against my boyfriend’s without having to wait for off peak hours in my guild’s Spvp arena.

in Suggestions

Rammie.2843

I don’t know a single game where you can gank unaware people in dueling. Especially having in mind that MMOs normally have choices of pvp off – meaning that you can’t event be invited into a duel and on top of that you have to accept duels else no duel happens. All I want is to test all my characters against my boyfriend’s without having to wait for off peak hours in my guild’s Spvp arena.

Spamming invites or just sending an invite when someone is busy in the hope they accidentally accept. Don’t act like it doesn’t happen.

in Suggestions

Mirta.5029

Spamming invites or just sending an invite when someone is busy in the hope they accidentally accept. Don’t act like it doesn’t happen.

I have not seen this happen. Plus normally duels don’t mean PK and only gets you down to 1 HP, normally you wouldn’t get absolutely anything from this kind of behavior.
Point is a lot of people would want to see duels in the game. Be it in a special Spvp instanced zone where you need to have the other person in your party for you both to enter or something like that.

in Suggestions

Rammie.2843

I have not seen this happen. Plus normally duels don’t mean PK and only gets you down to 1 HP, normally you wouldn’t get absolutely anything from this kind of behavior.
Point is a lot of people would want to see duels in the game. Be it in a special Spvp instanced zone where you need to have the other person in your party for you both to enter or something like that.

It doesn’t make it less annoying.

And the custom arena is already an option. If it is really about testing skill, use that. But to most it isn’t about testing skill, it’s about potential ganking and showing off.

Also, why must the opposition provide arguments why there shouldn’t be a dueling option while the ones actually interested cannot provide good reasons why this game actually needs it?

in Suggestions

dcypher.2590

And the custom arena is already an option. If it is really about testing skill, use that. But to most it isn’t about testing skill, it’s about potential ganking and showing off.

Also, why must the opposition provide arguments why there shouldn’t be a dueling option while the ones actually interested cannot provide good reasons why this game actually needs it?

How would anyone get ganked? We are not talking about flagging everyone for open season. You either are going way off base for the hell of it, or don’t know what a duel is. Plenty of points for it have been established if you care to read.

Plenty of MMOs have an auto decline toggle, you would never even know you were challenged. There are plenty of ways people can troll you in-game already. use the normal safeguards…ignore, report, etc.

in Suggestions

Mirta.5029

you have to pay for it weekly. If it was a one time buy, then sure we could get that, but now it’s essentially like paying a weekly subscription for one feature.
And why we need it? Why does the game need anything? Because it’s a fun thing to do with friends.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

But if you weren’t so anxious to prove me wrong,…

…So far, in an attempt to prove your point, you’ve managed to seem unreasonable and attack what I’m saying…trying to make it about me. Maybe you should read the posts by other people like me, and reconsider your response.

Just imagine how he’d act if dueling were to be implemented. He’s a perfect example of why it shouldn’t be put in.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

in Suggestions

Rammie.2843

How would anyone get ganked? We are not talking about flagging everyone for open season. You either are going way off base for the hell of it, or don’t know what a duel is. Plenty of points for it have been established if you care to read.

Plenty of MMOs have an auto decline toggle, you would never even know you were challenged. There are plenty of ways people can troll you in-game already. use the normal safeguards…ignore, report, etc.

Not having duels at all is the safeguard we’re having right now, and I quite like it. Why must I put effort into avoiding something I don’t want rather than you putting effort in something you do want AND is available?

you have to pay for it weekly. If it was a one time buy, then sure we could get that, but now it’s essentially like paying a weekly subscription for one feature.
And why we need it? Why does the game need anything? Because it’s a fun thing to do with friends.

Then suggest for cheaper/no costs. Still not a reason to put in a dueling option. And saying it’s fun… makes saying “it’s not fun” equally valid.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

What kind of supporting argument would you like? Would I like dueling in the game? No. Why do I need to support that? Would you like dueling? Yes. What more do you need to support this? It’s very cut and dry.

I’ve already stated my opinion as to why already however above, it has just as much as weight as any reason in favor of it. Personally I would prefer the game had no PvP at all, but that’s me.

I do however respect you desire for it. If they implement I will be happy for those who wanted it. I’ll be disappointed of course but c’est la vie.

I would prefer a supporting argument of the reasonable persuasion. I would consider a reasonable objection would be if something implemented actually impeded your ability to play.

It is very easy to avoid duels if you wanted to, at least, if my experience with duels in other games is a predictor of anything.

Considering we know nothing about if/how it would be implemented, it’s hard to argue “i’ll get duel spammed” or “people will duel troll the TP” because we don’t know what safeguards will be in place to prevent abuse, which i imagine they will.

But saying no to duels “becuase i don’t like it” would be the same as if i said they shouldn’t add any more jumping puzzles “becuase i dont like it.” I won’t advocate against an area of gameplay i don’t personally prefer when it doesn’t effect me.

in Suggestions

Mirta.5029

Then suggest for cheaper/no costs. Still not a reason to put in a dueling option. And saying it’s fun… makes saying “it’s not fun” equally valid.

Arena or an item allowing you to open an Arena in the Spvp section of the game would be a way to implement dueling that would not offend or hurt anyone.
however the “it’s fun” part is the only reason to add anything into a game. Think about it – why do we need dungeons? Living stories? Spvp? Isn’t the reason because it’s fun and it’s something to do? We play a game to have fun. I don’t think that anyone in this place is asking for a feature that would allow you to harass people. What we’re asking for is an ability to do something we found fun in doing in other games.
The same way imagine if the only way to do something that you enjoy would be to rent the ability to do it. Oh you want to do dungeons? 1600 gems for it to be available for a month and then extra gem cost every week, else you will have to pay the 1600 gems again. What if the opposition here was saying “I don’t want you to get free dungeons, because then I would have to put up with lfg spam on the map chat” when there would be a button to switch off the lfg spam on the map chat.

(edited by Mirta.5029)

in Suggestions

dcypher.2590

Not having duels at all is the safeguard we’re having right now, and I quite like it. Why must I put effort into avoiding something I don’t want rather than you putting effort in something you do want AND is available?

How would you have to put effort into anything more than what you do already? You wouldn’t…lame excuse. Let me guess, you also get mad when people are costume brawling right…they must be impeding your gameplay and constantly challenging you to duels.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lokki.1092

Lokki.1092

I would not mind if dueling was an instanced area or arena. I think it would be very popular with people, especially with those who are teaching others how to hone their skills against different class setups. Dueling in PVE gear would be fine. The only problem I see is if they were to implement dueling in a manner where it becomes it’s own area with the ability for others to spectate, then it becomes bigger than just dueling…and would more than likely have achievements tied to it, which would in turn make it mandatory for some people. That’s where it would go from a good idea to bad.

I don’t get this kind of thinking. The topic is about adding something to the game and while the Pro dueling crowd is taking hit after hit, concession after concession. Agreeing to not have it in this area, or that area, including automatic declines, Then agreeing that it can be in it’s own instance where you don’t even have to see or even interact in any way with it. But still you have to throw something more on top. “And you guys cant have achievements, or spectating” What? There are already achievements for the PvP sides of the game. Anet adding content that you personally don’t want to do does not make it bad content! Seems what you want is Guild Wars2 dueling edition, and to just relegate those players over there.

It’s even more insane to me that the entire basis of the argument is “If this is implemented then people might bother me in game” It may happen… more. Since people already grief players in game now.

Your denial of new content on the basis that people may grief you because of new content would be the same as people petitioning against new dungeons because they had experiences where other players were nasty/annoying to them in a dungeon. “It promotes a bad community”

(edited by Lokki.1092)

in Suggestions

Rammie.2843

Arena or an item allowing you to open an Arena in the Spvp section of the game would be a way to implement dueling that would not offend or hurt anyone.
however the “it’s fun” part is the only reason to add anything into a game? Think about it – why do we need dungeons? Living stories? Spvp? Isn’t the reason because it’s fun and it’s something to do? We play a game to have fun. I don’t think that anyone in this place is asking for a feature that would allow you to harass people. What we’re asking for is an ability to do something we found fun in doing in other games. I don’t see a reason to oppose a feature so greatly.

All the things you mention.. they don’t need safeguards because they don’t spam invites, they don’t get their panties in a twist when you decline. Keep it in arenas, preferably for free, and it’s fine. Just not in the open world.

in Suggestions

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

I would like to see a small instanced arena, that you can take your party into that would allow anyone in the party to duel. This would prevent the “duel me” spam, it would solve the dueling in open world drama, it would allow players to duel their friends. If two randoms really wanted to duel, they just have to party up and then go in the arena. Maybe put the arenas in every major city. They could cast it instead of a dueling arena as a simple “training ring for the great dragon fights” or something. I mean in lions arch near the wvw portals there are training areas…it only makes sense to have a dueling ring right around there. If you made it a set place in every city you would even have players going there looking for duels so they wouldn’t get in the way of the pve’rs.

They could even expand on the arena a bit and have random looks to each arena. Have them different based on city or have them random when you go in, kinda like fractals. So one time you go in its snowy and there are a couple random objects (tree or something) to give the look of fighting in the open world…sorta.

I think something like this could be a solid compromise.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB