Option for Profanity Filter

in Suggestions

Posted by: Drayven.6408

Drayven.6408

Ok… Seriously… I feel more enraged by the word kitten now than I do actually reading a curse word, simply because I don’t understand what people are trying to say half the time. I understand that this is my own personal opinion, and I also understand that this should -NOT- be taken as a top priority. However, I’m no child… I can handle reading a curse word on the forums. Please put in an -OPTIONAL- profanity filter on the forums, instead of limiting us from a basic “Freedom of Speech”.

It doesn’t really matter anyways, because I can bypass that profanity filter by saying things like… “This is Bullskritt” or “I’m gonna skull ferk you!”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dedlaw.9130

Dedlaw.9130

It’s not like one less profanity will suddenly change the context of what they are trying to say.

Unless it was something like “You kitten kitten kitten kitten, you and all your kitten kitten kitten are so full of kitten kitten!” But at that point I just use a bit of creativity to amuse myself into what they might have been saying, seeing as I will anyway be disregarding the post.

I’ve yet to find a kitten filter that I didn’t know or could not at least accurately guess what the person was trying to say.

Dedlaw – Fresh 80 Zerker Warrior
DODGE!!! – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

There are plenty of cases where I find the word “kitten” end up in one of my sentences, when I am not swearing at all. I would like to toggle the filter off completely for myself. And I wish it was a little bit more precise. It seems to filter almost every single possible slightly offensive word from every single language. That is a bit absurd.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Suggestions

Posted by: IceBlink.4317

IceBlink.4317

Ok… Seriously… I feel more enraged by the word kitten now than I do actually reading a curse word, simply because I don’t understand what people are trying to say half the time. I understand that this is my own personal opinion, and I also understand that this should -NOT- be taken as a top priority. However, I’m no child… I can handle reading a curse word on the forums. Please put in an -OPTIONAL- profanity filter on the forums, instead of limiting us from a basic “Freedom of Speech”.

It doesn’t really matter anyways, because I can bypass that profanity filter by saying things like… “This is Bullskritt” or “I’m gonna skull ferk you!”

Bear in mind if you use that bypass method in an attempt to insult someone, you’ll probably be subjected to bans though just like people ingame who swear at people.

in Suggestions

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Two things.

First, you can bypass it… which might result in a suspension or a ban. From the forum code of conduct:

“Do not circumvent the word filter. The Support Forum, like the game, is filtered for appropriate language. Any attempt to circumvent this filter will not be tolerated including the use of “creative spelling” or of forum names or signatures that contain a word that is censored by the prohibited words filter.”

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/rules

And second… you don’t have freedom of speech here. US laws for freedom of speech apply to congress and public places, this is a private forum, they don’t apply here at all, as they don’t apply in any private space, real or online. For example, you can call me a kittening kitten anytime you want, and there’s nothing I can do about it… but if you do it in my house, I have all the right to stop you from calling me that, or remove you from my house…

So in short… their house, their rules..

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

in Suggestions

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

Please put in an -OPTIONAL- profanity filter on the forums, instead of limiting us from a basic “Freedom of Speech”.

Locoman is exactly right Drayven. I would add to that, a lot of adults that don’t want to read that kind of language would be fine with a filter, but those with kids would not want an optional filter on the site. Kids might flip it on and parents would be upset and probably would have cause to make trouble for ANet and NCSoft. So I doubt a filter will happen.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

I would like the ability to turn it off because the scope of implementation is too wide. I often come across post I have a hard time following because it partially censors words with letters that would form profanity if not for the space between them.

What’s even worse is in game where the npcs curse, the censorship is inconsistent. Sometimes it’s spoken but the text is censored. Sometimes both are censored. Sometimes dialogue is written to avoid profanity and ends up sounding stupid.

in Suggestions

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Saw this on our forum today:

“I wakittenting nearly 8k with no bloodlust stacks, sigil of strength or scholar runes (used ruby orbs until today)”

Perhaps time to tweak the filter? What word is being censored in this sentence?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Saw this on our forum today:

“I wakittenting nearly 8k with no bloodlust stacks, sigil of strength or scholar runes (used ruby orbs until today)”

Perhaps time to tweak the filter? What word is being censored in this sentence?

Probably “was” and “hitting”. the S from was and the hit from hitting together.

in Suggestions

Dedlaw.9130

Yeah poster probably forgot a space or something

in Suggestions

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I really don’t mind, I’m fairly literate so I get the basic meaning of what a person has to say and apparently the only time the word filter gets in the way is when the poster is throwing a tantrum or apply very very poor grammar and spelling. In nether case do I feel like I’ll be losing out on much.
Anyway the word filter is a simple thing ANet put in place to save themselves a lot of headaches.

in Suggestions

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

The filter doesn’t count spaces, it simply reads the sequence of letters to prevent players from bypassing the filter easily by adding spaces or punctuations between letters.

in Suggestions

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Another example today in the lore forum:

“The origin of the Eye of the North is so ancient it has been lost to even the wisest skaald…” So it’s definitely old. And it wasn’t exactly intact in Guild Wars 1. The top of the tower wkittentered."

I keep seeing this constantly. That is not a swear word!

in Suggestions

Dedlaw.9130

The filter doesn’t count spaces, it simply reads the sequence of letters to prevent players from bypassing the filter easily by adding spaces or punctuations between letters.

Ah OK, that explains it.

Ty