Option to auto target AOE

in Suggestions

Posted by: gwawer.9805

gwawer.9805

First to be clear about what i want: Already in game is Quick cast which auto-casts the ground target wherever your CURSOR is. What I’m looking for is something that auto-casts the ground target at the location of your **current target (i.e. the foe you have targeted).

Something about having TO release my right mouse button and target an aoe really breaks the smoothness of a fight

What about having an option to automatically target your current target with a AOE? turns it into any other range ability, many people would prefer this.

This does not turn it into a Normal Range ability because it doesn’t follow moving targets like other range spells do. It will only be cast at the position of the enemy when you activated the ability. Therefore it is easy to miss moving enemies when you have AOE auto targeting (not the same as fast ground targeting which is already available in game).

No it is not an advantage because you lose out on many of the tactical elements like setting traps. I simply really dislike using AOE. Especially because it prevents me from using many of my favorite weapons.

Hammer warrior? Nope because the AOE. Longbow ranger? No AOE targeting please.

(edited by gwawer.9805)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dark Savior.7589

Dark Savior.7589

Have you tried it with the “Fast Cast Ground Targeting” option yet? That made the world of difference for me.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kuzzi.2198

Kuzzi.2198

I disagree with this suggestion. I play a staff elementalist so most of my attacks are AOE. I think the occasional misclick that makes my AOE miss allows these skills to do more damage without need for further balancing. If AOE skills were automatically targeted, they would need do be slightly nerfed.

in Suggestions

gwawer.9805

1. Yes obviously there would be advantages but there would also be disadvantages such as not being able to set traps and have precise control.

Say if two players were close by if I were skilled enough I could AOE target so that both of them wore in my AOE circle. But if I turn on AOE auto targeting then there is a chance that one of the two players might be missed.

2. Now I am not referring to a fast ground targeting. I already tried to that. I mean not having two use the mouse cursor two target AOE at all. It’s simply targets your current enemy target.

There is a warlock spell in wow craft that was originally in AOE target. But they changed it to having an option two auto target your current selected enemy because in many players wanted the option

in Suggestions

gwawer.9805

Another disadvantage would be the spell not being able to be used to target ahead and end up missing a running player.

If you cast the spell with a moving player targeted the AOE will land wherever the player was when you activated the AOE ability. It is not like other spells that will follow a moving player.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Markador.9683

Markador.9683

What if when you wanted to cast an aoe spell centered around something, you just held ctrl+#, shift+#, or whatever would work and it would cast it on that target so that the default would remain manual targeting.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vizeroth.1295

Vizeroth.1295

Ground targeting is certainly more advantageous to a skilled player with no distractions. However, as soon as the area is obscured with special effects and my fps drop to very low rates, it’s easy to start missing. This is especially bad for casual players who have a hard time becoming skilled with ground targeting.

I don’t think this is a balance issue. I just think having GTAoE effects center on targets with a modifier key would make them a lot more fun to use in certain circumstances.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dead Parrot.1973

Dead Parrot.1973

Something I just found in the wiki, double tapping the AOE skill key DOES auto-target the current target and fires the skill. At least it works for my elle’s 7 skill.

in Suggestions

gwawer.9805

“Something I just found in the wiki, double tapping the AOE skill key DOES auto-target the current target and fires the skill. At least it works for my elle’s 7 skill.”

I tried this with hammer warrior f1 ability but it doesn’t work. I think the wiki may be confused with Quick cast.

To be clear, Quick cast auto-casts the ground target wherever your cursor is. What I’m looking for is something that auto-casts the ground target at the location of your current target (i.e. the foe you have targeted).

(edited by gwawer.9805)