Overflow for World Chest Events

in Suggestions

Posted by: miniatureian.2501

miniatureian.2501

Maps with world chests throw me into overflow. There are two obvious solutions: force guesting to be via invite only, so that the goal (allowing players to play with their friends) still gets accomplished, but not abused (granted, this will see the formation of crossworld world-chest farming guilds, but it will form a barrier to entry that only prepared people can circumnavigate). Alternately, only allow world chest rewards on your home server. Another thread communicates the feeling well, if I may quote:

Because when I can’t fight a dragon on my own server because folks from other servers just can’t get enough dragon farming, I find it unfair and selfish on their parts. Thank you.

in Suggestions

Posted by: BobJoeXXI.2493

BobJoeXXI.2493

I wholeheartedly agree. I arrived at overflow 3 times today for separate dragon chests (and missed them). I wouldn’t mind being in overflow if it were occupied by people native to my server. But guests causing me to be in overflow because they’re greedy is frustrating.

Apicharr Science [ASci] – Maguuma
80 Necro, 80 Ranger, 80 Warrior, 80 Mesmer, 80 Engineer.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

You guys really have to stop with the “guesting is the problem” tinfoil hat theories.

Whatever zone has the event is going to fill up regardless of guests or not. Be there early or miss out, those are your options.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

in Suggestions

Posted by: Handin.4032

Handin.4032

I’m just gonna copy and paste my response to another thread saying the same thing:

Part of the issue is guesting. The other part is the basically giving out the free rare loot. I know from behemoth Ive gotten 2 Final Rests in 8 attempts. That’s basically a free 30/40 gold in 8 kills. Not to mention that every dragon and several others basically give a free rare now every time you do it, so you’ll have LOADS of people just from your server going there, I mean, you’re there for the free rare, why not them? If you’re on a high pop server, a lot of the over flow issue is probably just because they have low server populations to save money, and too many people want their free 30s. Guesting I think only is a small part of it…

TC Golden Dolyak – [DOLY]
Mesmer – FURY
Rank 55 – Bunker Engi, Top 300

in Suggestions

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Yeah, if you’re on high population servers I’m guessing a majority of the map would be filled with people from that server.

in Suggestions

Posted by: LizLemon.7843

LizLemon.7843

SOLUTION is PRIORITY TO THOSE IN WORLD HOME — with the obvious being make guests a "B"class meaning that they go to overflow BEFORE a home world player.

ArenaNet encourages those new to the game to select a lower populated home world — what is the point if other worlds guest and push you out of the event?

Home world players class “A” last to overflow — guesting players class “B” first to overflow when event is full --

It isn’t even a hard fix it is a simple priority step programming used by many internet advertising outlets –
*EXAMPLE of priority system already in place in other industries: priority “A” (highest local rate above the scroll guarantee), priority “B :to local discount rate ( above the scroll when inventory allows, not guaranteed but before ad network)
’C” (national ad network clients paying pennies on the dollar through aggregates) above the scroll only when impression are not sold out to local — otherwise below the scroll a majority of the time) This is an example of how simple the model is to execute. *

(edited by LizLemon.7843)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

SOLUTION is PRIORITY TO THOSE IN WORLD HOME — with the obvious being make guests a "B"class meaning that they go to overflow BEFORE a home world player.

So if I’m guesting with my friends going through Queensdale and behemoth pops up, I should be kicked out of the zone and back to my own server alone because someone who was sitting in LA watching a timer decided he wanted his rares?

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

in Suggestions

Posted by: Myste.3291

Myste.3291

I have to agree with the majority that people on the server are being penalised by those greedy individuals from other realms, who are not there for the official reason “Guesting to be with friends” … but they come for the freebies and because they are too impatient to wait for their own dragons … either up the limit of places Guests cannot go to, or stop this guesting. Pre this patch, we never had this issue.

Myste Stormme – 80 Ele; Oricle Myste – 80 Mes; Mystestormme – 80 Guardian;
Stormjayde – 80 Necro; Myste Dawn – 80 Ranger; Mysterayne – 80 Engi
Aurora Glade EU Server

in Suggestions

Posted by: Incarcerated.6205

Incarcerated.6205

As someone speaking from a medium population server, I can say I see the effects of guesting every weekend. Sunday from around mid-day, all chest events become unavailable because overflow starts about 30 mins before the event window (overflow is constant in frostgorge and sometimes other zones). On other days and at all other times we have no issue with overflow and this is why guesting makes things very frustrating for us. We understand the need for others to get their free loot every day but this isn’t a solution, it simply pushes others into the same seat.

A simple solution would be to synchronise the overflow with the main server or put the event on a short cooldown timer of let’s say 15-30 mins in overflow zones. Since you can’t get loot twice, this should help the problem without causing more.

There is nothing more frustrating than logging on in the evening, expecting to be able to fight a dragon and turning out to be shoved in overflow because some other people couldn’t do the event on their own server.

This issue NEEDS a fix.

(edited by Incarcerated.6205)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Myste.3291

Myste.3291

Those people wanting their precious free loot can always go back to WoW :p

Myste Stormme – 80 Ele; Oricle Myste – 80 Mes; Mystestormme – 80 Guardian;
Stormjayde – 80 Necro; Myste Dawn – 80 Ranger; Mysterayne – 80 Engi
Aurora Glade EU Server

in Suggestions

Posted by: irwan.5091

irwan.5091

If guesting really makes players hop to another server for chest events, i agree that arenanet should only allow world chest rewards on your home server.

in Suggestions

Posted by: miniatureian.2501

miniatureian.2501

You guys really have to stop with the “guesting is the problem” tinfoil hat theories.

We are on servers with low population. Before the World Chest patch, I have never been to an overflow, save Karka weekend. I did not say guesting is the problem, but the evidence is overwhelmingly pointing towards it being the reason for overflows. I don’t believe it’s a ‘tinfoil hat theory’, the only discussion is whether this is a ‘working as intended…live with it’ or open for debate. That is why this is on the suggestions board. I feel it’s a problem.

(edited by miniatureian.2501)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Imperatora.7654

Imperatora.7654

The solution I would like to see would be to make event chests “native only”. If it’s not your server, you can do the event, but you won’t get a chest. A secondary solution would be to have the event pop in overflow at the same time.

I too am more than a little fed up with not being able to do events on my own server.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The issue isn’t guesting — that’s working exactly as intended. The problem is that the loot is so easy to get that tons of people are chasing events and staying for just five minutes. Before the pinata system, people cooperated to let each other know about events and graciously welcomed guests to their servers. Now, people horde information, grief the timers, and otherwise act as if there’s a limited supply of loot.

BTW: notice that the events are never at risk of failing anymore and they are over rapidly. Maw, Fire Elemental, Shadow Behemoth: five minutes is a generous amount of time for completion now.

There are lots of ways to address the symptoms without breaking guesting: limit the number of world event chests people can get, make the events more difficult, or even make the 1x/day world-chest limit apply to any server (which is how it works for jumping puzzle chests).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

As someone else did, I am going to copy and paste my reply from another thread aabout the overflow—bottom line I was pleasently surprised by staying on the overflow for the entire event with Jormag .

“Don’t quite understand the problem. 1st of all over the last 4 weeks I have been put in to overflow the total of ….2 times!!!! Ouch! One was for the behe and the other for the claw. It happened last night (sat mar 17)
So all that were there continued to play the claw(on the overflow). The event started and most stayed when their cue asked to them if they wanted to stay or go. Jormag event started and we put him down. Obviously there were fewer players, but more than enough to kill him. Some of the comments from the people playing were ‘wow—I can actually see him; look at the claws; I can see all the effects; this is awesome!!’ and on and on. When the chest fell, comments like I never get this much stuff and other similar comments about the loot. During the battle when ever the cue message came up—I didn’t choose to leave the overflow.

So the bottom line —we did the event, we had a better experience, no lag, we could actually see what was going on and,,,,,, the chest dropped we got better/more loot on the overflow claw of jormag event!!!!
I’ll have to check out the others when the next rare ‘in my experience’ overflow happens.
BTW I always play during what I consider the peek times for my time zone."

So maybe next time stay in the event if it starts up——don’t leave!

(edited by Blude.6812)

in Suggestions

Imperatora.7654

only two overflows in 4 weeks? what server are you on so I can guest it?

in Suggestions

Blude.6812

only two overflows in 4 weeks? what server are you on so I can guest it?

LOL!!! Seriously, only twice-and I do play every day in prime time.
It does make for impossible 100% map completion inWvW though—POI, Vista and waypoints have been in captured forever——-we must sux. Sure wish I could guest for that aspect of the game just to complete the maps.
But just in case this guesting is the problem people make it out to be—I’ll remain server non grata.

in Suggestions

Imperatora.7654

so, you don’t want to give out your server name after all… makes me question how seriously you think that guesting is not the problem.

If you are going to make an argument, stick by your guns. If you are so unsure of yourself, then please keep your thoughts to yourself until you are sure.

in Suggestions

Posted by: DjC.7039

DjC.7039

I believe this is a problem, having experienced it myself. I’m not going to get into the debate as to what has caused it, as it ranges over lots of things, but as for a solution…

Why not make World Chests account bound? This way it won’t encourage the practice of different characters on different servers “Guesting” purely for the chests. Imo, this will still give enough chests for all but the hardcore farmers, will hopefully discourage this “Guesting – Overflow” thing that’s going on but still allow Guests, who haven’t done a specific chest on their own world to be rewarded if they are truely guesting with friends.

Guild Organiser – Reunited Ronins [RR]
Guild Forum / Facebook Group Page
Lvl 80 Guardian(x2), Ranger, Warrior, Elementalist, Engineer, Necromancer, Mesmer, Thief.

in Suggestions

Blude.6812

so, you don’t want to give out your server name after all… makes me question how seriously you think that guesting is not the problem.

If you are going to make an argument, stick by your guns. If you are so unsure of yourself, then please keep your thoughts to yourself until you are sure.

Read what I said, and who made you a mod—-if you can’t figure out which has less people, that’s your problem, there’s many ways to do it.
It was not an arguement it was a statement from an in game experience I had and shared. I stayed in the overflow with jormag, had a better experience and got more loot. DUH!!!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jokersirony.8512

Jokersirony.8512

Well I can say that I don’t have a clue if guesting is a problem for me. Being on Blackgate (2nd/3rd in WvW and very high population), I get the feeling the problem is less about guesting and more about general player count. I still find that it’s an issue when at any point in the day I can’t join any dragon map without being thrown into overflow. I agree that the best course of action would be to limit chests to one per day per event per server and allow dragon to spawn at the same time in overflow.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Azala Yar.7693

Azala Yar.7693

Maps with world chests throw me into overflow. There are two obvious solutions: force guesting to be via invite only, so that the goal (allowing players to play with their friends) still gets accomplished, but not abused (granted, this will see the formation of crossworld world-chest farming guilds, but it will form a barrier to entry that only prepared people can circumnavigate). Alternately, only allow world chest rewards on your home server. Another thread communicates the feeling well, if I may quote:

Because when I can’t fight a dragon on my own server because folks from other servers just can’t get enough dragon farming, I find it unfair and selfish on their parts. Thank you.

Problem is that you exclude players that might be on a low population server that may just want to play on a more populated server.

Better solution is to give priority to the characters that are on their home server so that it does not disrupt their game play so much.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaimick.5109

Kaimick.5109

Problem is that you exclude players that might be on a low population server that may just want to play on a more populated server.

Better solution is to give priority to the characters that are on their home server so that it does not disrupt their game play so much.

This isn’t true I am sorry I have guested on some of the lowest populated servers over the past few weeks and they still have enough players to complete the event. Even before the upgrade to the loot I have done Shatter with just 10 people ( all be it a lengthy long fight it was done ). Also I do not exploit the chest, I simply tried one event on multiple low populated servers after hearing this argument for the reason of guesting for dragon events.

Secondly to the people that believe that Guesting is the problem.

• Guesting is not the full problem.

To the people that keep saying stop blaming guesting

• just because guesting can not be fully blamed here, to sit there and say that guesting has ( or even imply ) no hand in the problems here is plain silly. Guesting may not be the full problem but it sure is adding to the already existing problem. All for what the chance to exploit the once a day chest rule?

Lastly, Arena net is implementing on March 26 what looks to be the fix to a lot of the problems. Also from what I am hearing in Map chats about People Openly saying they are guesting for the chest and the chest alone and Server natives that farm the chest. The hate it. Here is the actual statement,

In the next release we will adjust the way that world mega bosses award their loot. The current chests will stay lootable once per day per character, but each boss’s guaranteed rare item drop will be moved to a separate chest (visually similar to daily achievement reward chests) that can only be acquired once per day across an account.
Our intention with this change is to keep providing rewarding loot for world mega bosses while avoiding overwhelming participation in boss fights (and overwhelming the economy with rares) from players cycling through each character slot for each boss every day.
– Isaiah Cartwright – Guild Wars Lead Designer

What I believe this will achieve is this

Now people will only be able to loot that Rare/ exotic once per a day on your account no matter what server you try to jump too. This will make it so Native server players will not farm the chest on all 8 of their 80’s and also make it so Guest that exploit the chest as it stands now by jumping to a different server can not loot it more than once a day. Which will still push the influx of players but will thin out the over baring groups causing all the lag

To this I say Bravo Arena Net