Personal Housing and Guild Castles

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rooen.5317

Rooen.5317

Now this may be extremely difficult but hear me out now Anet. This is a wonderful way to make even more money in the gem shop, allow for more crafting, and possibly more guild options as well!

I came across this feature in another game and it was a great add on to an otherwise slightly dull RPG. The idea is that each character has their own housing instance so to speak. A small area that they can furnish with items and perhaps crafting tables to allow a small, personal space with less lag and peace and quiet. All races already have a ‘home’ instance and it would keep the general idea. The area is only assessable to the player unless others are in a party or the house name/number is given out. Much like a gamer tag. How does this possibly help Anet?

- Players can buy furniture from the gem store that can possibly grant buffs depending on the amount of time spent in the house. A special chair gives vitality as long as you spend 10 minuets in your house instance.

- Crafting tables as stated before can be placed in the house, perhaps only 1-2 at a time for personal crafting. Getting away from that horrible lag in some areas and keeping away from map chat if you are talking to friends via whisper. This works out well since I and many other players craft for each other.

- Other objects like extra storage chests can be purchased with gems. Those items are safe and stored only in the house chest giving players that extra space they may want. Or perhaps it is also linked to the bank, or only the collectables can be accessed though the chest. With only a handful of slots left over for skins and other odds and ends.

- Other objects can only be used in the house, such as exp givers. An item that can only be used in the house. Perhaps slowly building XP over time while a character is idle. (Not the best idea for GW… but still throwing it out there)

-Have your pets out at all times. Perhaps there is a way allow your mini’s to roam around the house just to see how cute they are! Because why not!

Someone might say ’that’s not fair, they get to have buffs and advantages, bought through the gem store when that’s not the point of GW2!’ and you would be right! That’s why it’s only a buff to be used during PVE. It turns off during PVP and WvW where it really counts. No harm in giving a player an extra boost like the consumables in the shop already right?

Next post, guild castles.

Rooen Dahlbeck | Asura | Elementalist
Lvl 50+ | Norther Shiverpeaks | Cook/Artif

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rooen.5317

Rooen.5317

Now onto guild castles. The same idea applies here as with the houses but on a much larger scale. You have two options with this. Well 3 really. GW1 already had guild ‘castles’ remember? A pretty nifty idea but nothing really came from it. Shame..great dance parties though!

1. A guild comes together to buy a guild castle for themselves using gems. Giving them something to work for if they need to raise the gold first to convert.

2. A guild must buy using gold. Perhaps a much larger amount then with gems. (Also works for karma)

3. A guild must gather mats and recipes to BUILD the castle themselves so to speak. Having x amount of wood + x amount of iron or copper to craft the building itself. The recipe can grant the players in that guild access to the castle as long as they are indued still in the guild. (They can’t just leave and use the castle any time they feel like it) Same idea applies. by guesting people through parties.

Now what do you DO in a guild castle you might ask? Well it’s simple. Players can build/buy items that help with their crafting or perhaps help with buffs and stat upgrades. Building a study maybe grands anyone who spends time in it and extra buff for magic, or a work field gives out buffs of vitality. Again all these things can be crafted or for the quick route maybe in the gem store?

Same idea applies. All buffs are null and void when in PvP or WvW making sure no one server or player has the advantage over another due to gem items. But if you want to avoid this altogether, perhaps some crafting professions can build these things!?

On top of that, like the houses players can just go all out and decorate their castle with cool objects that just look cool. The true reason for the gem shop, ascetically pleasing! And maybe new castles come out every so often in the gem store. Limited time ‘glass castle’ or Easter event bunny field castle! (….Yea I’m not getting a job on the idea team any time soon…) (Same with the personal houses, use the gems to upgrade the size of your house and how much you can put in it.

Guilds can hang out together. Help new players, battle each other just for fun. And hold meeting in these castles. Giving a new twist to the old idea.

This has been done in the past in different ways many times. From the idea of ‘families’ (guilds) having a farm and able to grow mats and livestock to kids games having their own little place to decorate. It’s becoming a pretty common thing in MMO’s or just online games.

Who might you reel in with this feature?
-People who enjoy games like ‘The Sims’
-Role Players, giving them a space away from ‘bullies’
-AFK players, the one’s who enjoy the smaller things like crafting to fill most of their play time.
-Designers who love messing with floor plans!

Also helps to give another thing to do while waiting for event’s. At end game your able to start building for the future. Giving a player more things to craft and do after the have finished all they can think of on one character.

One more added bonus? While players are in their house they are not on the made map. Freeing up queue for other people.

Ah. Done….that’s my idea. And I will proclaim it’s not my original idea since it;s been done in many games before. But with the team on Anet I think a great new spin and some awesome idea’s could come from it! I’ve seen how the feature hooks players and keeps them interested no matter how small it may seem.

Rooen Dahlbeck | Asura | Elementalist
Lvl 50+ | Norther Shiverpeaks | Cook/Artif

in Suggestions

Posted by: Supermixerman.5928

Supermixerman.5928

I like the sound of the idea. But why not buy a home in gold/karma too? It could be like you said in the guild castle system, that you can by the home in gems and gold/karma, and that it will cost more with gold/karma. And why not add a bed were you can sleep. It would be fun if the caracture starts to dream and you can play a mini game in the game. =D

in Suggestions

Posted by: Thano.3405

Thano.3405

I agree with a lot of what you said, personally I really like the idea of with various crafting skills you can make different stuff to decorate your house with different stuff with various mats. Also makes it really cool to decorate your guild castle/hall since several of your guild members may end up working together getting all these plans and mats to craft this specific item.

Just my two cents.

in Suggestions

Posted by: acedragonz.9387

acedragonz.9387

I agree with ALMOST everything. The use of the gem store is the only thing I do not really agree because a lot of us (me for example) don’t have all the money in the world to invest for housing & such… It would be an awesome karma drain though.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mako.4137

Mako.4137

I like these ideas, I think the practical usage of the personal housing is a useful idea when levelling.

Decorating is something I really like, to be able to build your home/castle to your specifications with things of your choosing.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Altariel.4610

Altariel.4610

i said it on another topic but castle is good choice too

House, guildhall

i support all

in Suggestions

Posted by: MangoMan.3218

MangoMan.3218

Obviously not an original idea, everybody is thinking about it, and everybody wants it (of course you know this, though). I think this would be an amazing feature, and I would love it. It would be an excellent income provider (as many things would be purchasable through gems, like you said), which is great because I want ANet to grow. ANet’s growth = higher money flow in the economy and more enjoyment to the players. And to those who don’t like the idea of buying things with gems, it’s alright, because of course there would be other methods of payment (karma, etc.).

By the way, I cannot be called biased in favor of in-game-purchases (gem purchases), as I am only 15 and have no source of income except allowance and income from lawn mowing during the summer

Just vanquishing the hate. | Ziios, TC
http://www.youtube.com/MangoMiner

(edited by MangoMan.3218)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sir Booman.7903

Sir Booman.7903

First time posting, so be gentle if I do something wrong. ?
Here is a different spin, I enjoy the Norn race and the home instance is very pretty but dead. I believe you could do all the stuff mentioned above in the home instance but I would like to add Story Telling Norn style. Norns all believe in Great Battles and the stories of them after they pass. I would like to build my legend and pass the story on. If I have friends in my H.I. and I interact with sometime it would start that story of a Battle I had. If it had some video (like a vista view) of the battle to go with it, my character would be forever engraved in this game. You could even set it up to store on the user’s computer to save server space. You could even have it follow the personal story but I would have it do other great battles too (Dragons, Dungeon bosses, Area Bosses, If I solo a Champion and so on). Sure building a house, filling it with stuff is fun but personalizing it to the point it feels like I own it would be great.
Also, I would like to see, Merchants in your home instance that sells something that you can’t get anywhere else. Maybe something cultural or profession specific.
Gathering with your friends is something that is missing from this game. To join multiple guilds seemed like a great idea at the time but it too is causing issues with friends. No one wants a guild list of people not representing their guild, I know a lot of friend’s guilds like that and it is sad. I’ve seen guild recruiting saying you must represent every day or you will be kicked. So I think you should go back to the Character is in a guild and not the account. If I don’t see a friend on my guild list because the character he is playing is in a different guild it is fine with me. I really am thinking of doing like those other guilds and making it mandatory to represent every day, which goes against everything you were trying to do. If my guild drops in numbers it is fine because we who are all left will be representing and chatting with each other.
I would also like to see us rebuilding Orr. This world should forever be changing. When your expansion comes out, what if we as players donate planks or ore to rebuild the city (make it like 10million planks and ore, it would take us awhile to rebuild it, remember the longer we spend doing something it keeps us from standing around. You could even make one of Tyria’s new holidays out of it or the guild that donates the most gets a NPC to be a crier for them or something.) The risen go away, you could bring in new enemies to fight, you could change the whole area, a rebirth if you would. World events that change the world forever. Like the Lion’s statue in LA right now, we the Players should be building that or at least donating (the more we do the faster it is done). Just one thing, don’t make any of this gem required; this is the world, the free part of the game.
Ok, enough rambling, I have some more thoughts that I’ll save for later.
Have fun!
My all your deaths be in great battles and your stories told forever!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

You know the idea of the Norn storyteller is actually a very great cultural tie in. It would be very awesome to have that available, and perhaps something similar could happen with the other races as well. Sadly the only thing I can think of right now is perhaps the Asura home instance allows you to create all kinds of gizmo’s and gadgets as a little inventor or something similar.

Personally I do not know how they would change the world without affecting the new players that come into the game, but that being said, I don’t think they can continue to work on GW2 and keep to their code without doing that. So I am really interested in seeing how they make this work.