Please improve the Looking for Group tool

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zorglub.5390

Zorglub.5390

The looking for group (lfg) has been a missing feature from day 1 of Guild Wars 2.

While I am happy to finally see it ingame, I just find it useless in the end.

The reason is that I still have several dungeons I did not do the Story Mode (SM) for yet.
And some other dungeons I prefer to do some paths and not others.

So I was pretty disappointed when I saw the LFG tool is basically just a ‘Write about what you want to do here’ tool.

I expected it to have checkboxes with 3-4 choices (depending on the number of paths in the dungeon) for each dungeon.
Let say I want to do Ascalonian Catacombs in SM (either because I never did it before or because that’s the one I prefer), I should be able to check ‘Story Mode’ and then wait for my party to fill up with people who want to do it.
If I want SM and/or path 1, I check both (if I have done SM first for that dungeon).

I understand that it is not much different from writing a ‘I want to do this and that’.
But I think it would be much more intuitive to use.

You could filter the existing groups based on the checkboxes checked too.

The way it is now I am not going to use the LFG very much, and considering the low number of groups I saw in the LFG (1~2 max per dungeon) I am guessing that it will be vastly underused considering its potential.

I also understand that it is the beta version of it.
And that it exactly while I am providing what I consider useful feedback on it as well as a simple suggestion to improve it.

I say simple because I am not asking the tool to start to try to mix and match people to groups.
Just give us a move natural way to choose what we want.

My 2 cents to improve an otherwise great game. (love the Living Story so far.)

Norn proverb: It is a good day to die, but the day is not over yet.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zorglub.5390

Zorglub.5390

One more thing to consider:

New players that do not know that they have to complete Story Mode before being able to do paths, will join any group they see for the dungeon they want to do.
Only to be kicked and most probably insulted when the group realized that the guy cannot go into the dungeon and they have to continue to search for the last team member they need.

Whereas if you automatically disable the checkbox based on the what the player can access, this situation will be avoided because the only choice the first time will be Story Mode.

Norn proverb: It is a good day to die, but the day is not over yet.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Banewrath.5107

Banewrath.5107

I`d like to see a lvl restriction option. Just a checkbox for 80 only when applied and any lvl can join when unchecked. Sometimes I will advertise for 80 only and a number of lower lvls will join. I will normally leave the group and go back to looking for 80`s to party with and same lower lvls will join the group or merge parties making me leave and have to advertise again. Having a lvl restriction box will end this problem before it even starts.

in Suggestions

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

1: level requirements are elitist crap. While I understand your concerns bout not wanting low level’s I do think ti should never ever be promoted by a tool saying that such behaviour is ok. So I udnerstand you, and in some dungeons I feel the same, but no. I rather see that Anet fixes the level requirement for dungeons. Make them all level 80, with upscaling like WvW should be a good start.

2: I think it is perfectly ok to find a group for storymode. Just keep in midn that your advert should be spot on and that there is less interest in storymode. Such an advert only takes more time to get people. But that is cause storymode is less popular.

3: You dont need storymode to be able to do explorable mode. Only one person i nthe party (the instance starter) needs to have story. The rest can join in regardless.

For me the LFG works good and as it should. It could be less laggy, but thats all. Don’t change a good working system.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

in Suggestions

Banewrath.5107

1: level requirements are elitist crap. While I understand your concerns bout not wanting low level’s I do think ti should never ever be promoted by a tool saying that such behaviour is ok. So I udnerstand you, and in some dungeons I feel the same, but no. I rather see that Anet fixes the level requirement for dungeons. Make them all level 80, with upscaling like WvW should be a good start..

I normally do my dungeons everyday and accept all lvl ranges. But there are some times that I just want to do the run quickly and smoothly with 80`s if I`m pressed for time or just don`t feel like explaining the mechanics of the fights. I never ask people to link gear and I don`t care what kind of builds they run. I have no problems explaining the fights or helping lower lvl players. But if I`m not in the mood to do that I really shouldn`t be forced into it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Havvy.4897

Havvy.4897

The reason you see only one or two groups is either because nobody is doing the dungeon, or because there’s a lot of people doing the dungeon, so they get filled up. It’s really easy to write ‘Story Mode’ or ‘P1’ or whatever path you are doing. Only the instance starter needs to have done story mode to open explorable mode. Of the improvements that are possible, this one would be mostly useless.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

The only real improvement I think it needs is yes, possibly a split listing for story mode, or at the very least a longer visible description so people just scanning the listings and clicking furiously at least have a chance to see more of what you’re asking for. Right now what they usually see is : LF 3 more “x dungeon” … and the specifics get cut off so they just join anyway even though it might be an explorable path and they are looking for story or vice versa. I still think it would make more sense and be more efficient to split the listings for story and explorable. I don’t think a level restriction is needed for the listings though, because currently if you cannot meet the minimum level requirements for a dungeon, it won’t even let you list or join that dungeon. I still understand that low levels will join when you’re trying to do an all 80 fast run, but that kind of ties into my thoughts above about it not being clearly displayed what you’re asking for in your party (and a little still relies on them to actually read it too, so it only goes so far)

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shades.4572

Shades.4572

Personally I like the way the LFG tool is and I don’t think it needs separate categories. Even if they did there will still be people who click on the wrong one and join your group anyway. More or less I just think people need to type what they want better/right to the point. There really is no need to type lf3m or lfg since everyone can see how many are there and can see what professions. After awhile people will stop using the shorthands like lfm, at least I hope anyway. That way people can just see/type Story or Exp Any Path, Path 2 Speed run, ect. Once people stop saying unneeded information like lf3m it will be less likely for the description to get cut off.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Paciunek.2496

Paciunek.2496

I’d like to see more specific criteria for joining the group. It would have to be different than in other games, because we don’t have tank/heal/dps role, but I’d like to at least choose level requirement and maybe a profession (optional). If my group needs a guardian, we want a guardian, not necro etc.
People just join without even reading, it’s so annoying when i clearly state “Path x, experienced only, 80s” and theres always that guy… first timer, most likely low level, doesn’t even know which path (or even dungeon) is this. I’d just like to save my time and avoid being impolite, because I will kick him anyway, so…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

Personally I like the way the LFG tool is and I don’t think it needs separate categories. Even if they did there will still be people who click on the wrong one and join your group anyway. More or less I just think people need to type what they want better/right to the point. There really is no need to type lf3m or lfg since everyone can see how many are there and can see what professions. After awhile people will stop using the shorthands like lfm, at least I hope anyway. That way people can just see/type Story or Exp Any Path, Path 2 Speed run, ect. Once people stop saying unneeded information like lf3m it will be less likely for the description to get cut off.

Pretty good point there

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Yeah, for example let us DECIDE from where we accept people to join the group.

If i make up a search in a european server like Drakkar Lake, where only German Players are player.. I surely don’t make up search inquiries over the LFG tool to just end up then with some spanish speaking only person from an international statet server, like Desolation …or Aurora Glade

People should be able to decide easily through set upable FILTERS, from where they do accept joining players so that only players, that fit to my personal filter setting will see my searchs for groups in the tool.

Just simple said…

I make up a search for the TA Dungeon New Path for example, I select in the Filter “Joining Acceptations”

• Accept Joins from Drakkar v
  • Accept Joins from Elona Reach v
  • Accept Joins from Riverside v
  • Accept Joins from International X

So with that setting, people from Elona, River and Drakkar would be all able to see and respond to my search.
However, people from servers like Aurora Glade, Piken Square, Desolation ect. they all wouldn’t be able to see and by that way respond to my search.

Goal: This would finally stop the permanent language barrier issues of the LFG tool that you permanently end up with people that just understand a **** what you are saying and or are unable to write at least English or are even of that kind of stupid attitude, that they could write it, but don’t , because they find their own language better/superior… whatever /facepalm

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

in Suggestions

Paciunek.2496

In case of language barrier you can just advertise your party in german, if you want german only group. I understand german advertisement but I won’t join, because I’m not willing to speak it, that’s simple. Blocking other servers would be discriminating and racist, I’m very glad it works like now, because one can’t judge people before they even join.

in Suggestions

Posted by: HELLruler.4820

HELLruler.4820

I’d like to see a chat message when someone joins my party. Sometimes it gets full and I don’t realize that

in Suggestions

Orpheal.8263

Paciunek, thats nonsense.. its absolutely not discriminating, nor racistic to block specific people from specific servers.

Why do I have to advertise my search specially, when it could be with such a block system much easier for everyone?
Every player has the right to decide, with whom they want to play together and with whom NOT.

Its annoying as **** when you search for something specific and then joins simple some random idiot from an other server. which even didn’t understand a single word from your search, that was just on the quick search to get into any group, just because he could tell only, that the group is going to do a dungeon patch for example, that he/she wants to do too

Stuff like that just ends in instant auto kicks and it just could be PREVENTED from the begin on, if the LFG system would allow everyone the right that we have to decide with who we want to play together.

If I have decided for myself, that my party members should be all only from Server, 1,2 and 3 only, but not from 4, then this is my good right to decide this as a party leader.
Its just an option, that would help to find easier what you really search, without getting permanently disturbed by some random people that can’t understand a **** what you want at all.

I personally call this even griefing, because you can really annoy people with this kind of “lfg hopping” alot.

To be forced to advertise your own language, thats racist, because that way gets everyone smacked right into their faces, that they are unwanted due to not speakign language X by a big fat for example … GERMANS ONLY!!!!, just to guarantee, that not even the blindest person can’t oversee it.
Do you find this is not racist?? Thats the real racist bad thing of the current lfg, not blocking specific servers, so that they can’t see your searchs to help everybody finding easier what they search for really without any disturbs.

in Suggestions

Paciunek.2496

….

I can’t follow your logic, I’m not sure if theres any. I would feel discriminated if someone block my server, just because of his xenophobic behavior. Why do you think you have a right to call someone an idiot because he wants to join your dungeon group and doesn’t speak your language? He just wanted to go and do it, instead of talking with you. Gather your party on your own servers chat if you don’t want to be “disturbed by random people” in LFG tool, lol.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Demifis Deathstrider.6451

Demifis Deathstrider.6451

I`d like to see a lvl restriction option. Just a checkbox for 80 only when applied and any lvl can join when unchecked. Sometimes I will advertise for 80 only and a number of lower lvls will join. I will normally leave the group and go back to looking for 80`s to party with and same lower lvls will join the group or merge parties making me leave and have to advertise again. Having a lvl restriction box will end this problem before it even starts.

Though I agree with you on some level, also note that your level is still scaled down to the type of dungeon, so if a player is allowed to enter that dungeon, they should not be prevented from doing so. Level has never mattered much in this game in PvE. Perhaps some kind of compromise on this idea: create a custom minimum level a group will accept?

in Suggestions

Orpheal.8263

….

I can’t follow your logic, I’m not sure if theres any. I would feel discriminated if someone block my server, just because of his xenophobic behavior. Why do you think you have a right to call someone an idiot because he wants to join your dungeon group and doesn’t speak your language? He just wanted to go and do it, instead of talking with you. Gather your party on your own servers chat if you don’t want to be “disturbed by random people” in LFG tool, lol.

I havent said that I’ve the right to call anyone an idiot, who wants to join my group, but doesn’t understand me due to not speakign my language.
Sorry, if we missunderstood us there.

What I said is, that everyone as a party leader, who makes a search in the LFG has the right to decide, with which persons they want to form party.

You said, if someone wants to play just with anyone who talks the same language, that person should have to advertise his/her language in the lfg tool in the search ala

“LFxM Dungeon Path Y Germans Only/”Please""

I say, this is nonsense, because why should someone have to forcefully advertise for his/her own language, if that could be just a simple option among the lfg tool??
Everyone of the biggest community parts that have their own langage behind the server names [DE, ES, FR] knows which servers come into consideration, if you search specificly for people, that talk the same language.

Its just easier to decide, which people from certain servers should be able to see your search, than anythign else.
Or otherwise please do explain to me, why it would be important for you too see international group requests from people, that so or so don’t want 100% sure to play with your, simply because they can’t understand a single word from you what your typing…

Does it help you to get easier into a group, when your search is cluttered full of requests fronm other international servers?
Wouldn’t it be just simply alot more overviewable, if you would get to see only all those group requests, that come from people of servers, that speak your same language ?

Whats the big deal with having such a kind of QoL improvement for the LFG Tool ???
I see absolutely no reason, why ANet shouldn’t fix this by adding specific filter options to the search…

Every most simplistic 0815-search mechanic these days has simple filter mechanics, so why not also too the lfg tool, which is just a simple search tool.

in Suggestions

Banewrath.5107

Though I agree with you on some level, also note that your level is still scaled down to the type of dungeon, so if a player is allowed to enter that dungeon, they should not be prevented from doing so. Level has never mattered much in this game in PvE. Perhaps some kind of compromise on this idea: create a custom minimum level a group will accept?

Having the checkbox in place would kill the problem before it even became an issue. Most people under 80 will still join a dungeon even if the lfg add says 80 only. Why can`t the people under 80 just create their own lfg ad or join a run that isn`t asking for lvl 80 players? Yes, we do scale down in lvl but a lvl 80 will have access and function to a full trait set which will help make things easier overall. Most 80`s are also in exotics already further increasing the chances. I normally run 6-10 dungeons a day and I hardly ever put a lvl restriction in my ads. But the times that I do, I would expect people to respect the ad since I do the same for other peoples ads. But they don`t and they still join and sometimes join over and over even after being kicked or me leaving the group to repost the ad again. The lvl 80 checkbox solves this problem.

in Suggestions

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

The developers have said they’re looking into adding language support.

Level requirements are against the design philosophy of the tool. They want as few restrictions as possible.

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Magische Boek.2530

Magische Boek.2530

I`d like to see a lvl restriction option. Just a checkbox for 80 only when applied and any lvl can join when unchecked.

THIS! or being able to manually fill in a lvl restriction. everytime i write: fractals lvl 15 people lvl 15+ will join lol.

I’m not arguing!
I’m simply explaining why I’m right.