Please, no more new currency

in Suggestions

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

We now have a total of 8 types of currency:

1. Coins (gold)
2. Gems
3. Tokens (basically anything that takes up inventory/storage space and can traded in for something from an NPC)
4. Karma
5. Glory
6. Influence
7. Laurels
8. Commendations (NEW)

For PvE, that’s 7 types already and before commendations, it was laurels! While this isn’t some sort of angry rant or troll post, I’m really growing alarmed that the content teams would add more and more types of currency in the game.

To me, the game is (slowly) starting to feel bloated by the amount of currency types that we have. Going forward with March and future updates, I’m hoping that you will reconsider adding more currency types but instead reward more of the current types.

In fact, karma, which was lauded pre-release, should get some more attention.

Anet, we have 8 types of currency to juggle around. Why not leave it at that?

in Suggestions

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

I think you forgot Merits. Make it 9.

in Suggestions

Posted by: kitanas.3596

kitanas.3596

if you do not introduce a new currency, then you have to reward people with some form of existing currency. if the new content is more efficient, then there will be people who complain why do x when n is more rewarding. if the new content is not as efficent, then the opposite is true.

thats gamers for ya, never satisfied

in Suggestions

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

I would appreciate it if we can place tokens and badges into the collectables tab. The option has been there since December, albeit greyed out, which means these items are intended to go there. Why it’s taking so long to implement is anyone’s guys.

I think having a variety of currencies is good, but we are reaching a point now where it’s enough. Perhaps when more features are implemented in the future, the teams would rather consider the ones we already have and make their system a part of a specific currency, rather than inventing another of their own.
That said, the game is already full of rare items, which can also be used.

(edited by Azjenco.9425)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I would appreciate it if we can place tokens and badges into the collectables tab. The option has been there since December, albeit greyed out, which means these items are intended to go there. Why it’s taking so long to implement is anyone’s guys.

I think having a variety of currencies is good, but we are reaching a point now where it’s enough. Perhaps when more features are implemented in the future, the teams would rather consider the ones we already have and make their system a part of a specific currency, rather than inventing another of their own.
That said, the game is already full of rare items, which can also be used.

The problem with putting them in with collectibles is that you have a max of 250. They should end up in the same place as coins, gems, karma and laurels so they can have infinite capacity.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fred Fargone.3127

Fred Fargone.3127

The problem with putting them in with collectibles is that you have a max of 250. They should end up in the same place as coins, gems, karma and laurels so they can have infinite capacity.

I agree, though I’d like to point out that there is a max for everything. In GW the max amount of money on a character was 100 plat for example.

People who can argue often offer a good and meaningful conversation about the subject.
People who can’t tend to call the opponent troll, scream something utterly incomprehensible
and finally result to personal insults.

in Suggestions

Kal Spiro.9745

That was something like 100,000 gold, right? Which would make it 10,000,000 units, basically. If you get 10,000,000 tokens, good on ya.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

in Suggestions

Fred Fargone.3127

Actually, it was just 100 units, gold was just converted into plats. (And you seem to have done 100*100*100 instead of 100*100)
But yeah, I agree, it is a lot and unlikely to be a problem with tokens, could be a problem with karma.

EDIT: Actually, I do remember hearing some guys hitting the karma cap, but the cap has since been raised.

People who can argue often offer a good and meaningful conversation about the subject.
People who can’t tend to call the opponent troll, scream something utterly incomprehensible

in Suggestions

Kal Spiro.9745

Actually, it was just 100 units, gold was just converted into plats. (And you seem to have done 100*100*100 instead of 100*100)
But yeah, I agree, it is a lot and unlikely to be a problem with tokens, could be a problem with karma.

EDIT: Actually, I do remember hearing some guys hitting the karma cap, but the cap has since been raised.

I thought it was 1000 gold per plat. But the extra hundred was ten copper to silver, ten silver to gold, then a weird disperity up to plat. So it would be 1,000,000 units for 100 plat since I was off by a factor of ten. Unless it was 100c-s, 100s-g then we’re talking 100,000,000 units max. Where one unit means 1 copper, or 1 karma, or 1 token, and such.

in Suggestions

Fred Fargone.3127

Uhm? Wait, GW1 only had gold & plats. But you are right, one plat was 1000 gold. (silly ol’ me)
But my point was that the limit on the money was 100 plats, meaning 100 units. For money, that ofc meant 100 000 gold, but for stuff like karma, that would’ve just meant 100. Seen as I got some 300k karma on my character at the moment, we know that is not the cap. But it could be 1 mil for example.
For laurels, it could even be 250. (I do not think ANet meant them to be stored in large quantities. And they seem to be fans of using unsigned bytes for storing info about the amount of items)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sad Swordfish.9743

Sad Swordfish.9743

OP, you forgot Honor Badges. And Mystic Coins. And Ectos(basically, now that you can trade them with laurels for ascended).

It’s a balancing act. Why do we have Honor Badges? To reward progression to WvW. Why do we have Karma? To reward event participation. Why do we have Glory? To reward sPvP participation.

The idea is that no matter which facet of the game you pick, you can work towards something meaningful. We want this. But too many currencies can be confusing and feel like there is a overbloated amount of game systems.

What about Mystic Forge Stones? Crystals? Black Lion Keys? These were /are also things for players to find.