Please stop the double jeopardy

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dvious.8126

Dvious.8126

When our characters die, we take a hit from armor repair PLUS travel to a waypoint. On death there needs to be an option for auto/FREE travel to the nearest waypoint OR pay to travel to a farther waypoint. Please stop punishing us twice for one screwup.

I’d rather be playing the game than writing this post.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Haku.5068

Haku.5068

I think prices for both are a bit high but if you play more than 5 minutes a day you can easily turn a profit if you only die once every 30 mins or so.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Literally the softest death penalty ever made for MMO in this game and you want to nerf it ;I

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dvious.8126

Dvious.8126

@killface
“The softest death penalty ever made for MMO”? Really? The cost scales based on gear and zone, please enlighten me as to how that is ‘soft’ when money rewards combined with drop rewards are low. Death should be one cost, not two. When you die you’re paying a repair cost + travel cost to a waypoint. Not everyone plays for hours at a time. I do play for hours on end and I play all day long on the weekends. There are others who don’t have that luxury though and charging them twice each time they die is ridiculous.

I’d rather be playing the game than writing this post.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

I remember when dying meant that your inventory dropped there for everyone to pick up and/or you lost so much exp that you had to farm another day to get it back.

The best solution against death penalty is to not die.

in Suggestions

Posted by: piratemot.7486

piratemot.7486

I cant say that this is true for all mmos, seeing as I haven’t played all of them, but from the ones I have, this is by far the softest death penalty I have ever come across. Even at max level, you can offset a death by just getting 2 green drops and vendoring them. You need to be dying every few minutes to not pull out some sort of profit. Other games give every single piece of gear a hit to durability, where it doesn’t work as well as before, or you drop everything in your inventory.

in Suggestions

Posted by: phooka.4295

phooka.4295

When our characters die, we take a hit from armor repair PLUS travel to a waypoint. On death there needs to be an option for auto/FREE travel to the nearest waypoint OR pay to travel to a farther waypoint. Please stop punishing us twice for one screwup.

No, actually you have to see it as “when you die, it’ll cost you a certain amount of money, but in order to encourage players helping players, being revived will reduce your costs while granting the reviver XP.”

The cost is simply split in two and revival can spare you one half (or even both, if revive hits before defeated).

in Suggestions

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

phooka hit the nail ont he head. The death penalty is truly fine. Pay more attention so you die less, or travel with others so you can revive each other when things get bad.

Then again if you travel with others AND pay more attention chances of death fall very dramatically.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Actracts.1389

Actracts.1389

Agree with OP – I vote we go back to the days were one death resulted in loss of a day’s worth of EXP – in some cases, a level drop – and complete loss of every item/equipment in our inventory. Lets also not forget the X% stat drop penalty as well – which can only be recuperated by entering a rest area or slowlying grinding your way back to normal – and btw, the penalty stacks everytime you die.

in Suggestions

Posted by: greatwolf.1758

greatwolf.1758

If you’re really concerned about cost, you can keep your bank and character empty of any gold. This way if you do die, the nearest waypt will be free.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Let me guess: You’re also one of the people that can’t scrape enough out of his wallet to pay for waypoints, right?

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

in Suggestions

Posted by: Binaryravenx.2781

Binaryravenx.2781

Something tells me the OP never played FFXI, where if you died, you lost everything you worked for in experience for a day (If you were lucky), and deleveled if you weren’t careful.

Vaxra – Sword/Dagger Ranger

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

In a certain MMO if you died and didn’t get revived (or paid for an expensive $$ res rune) your character would be deleted forever and would cost $70 to get it back.

I’m okay spending 5s every time I die…

RIP in peace Robert

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nanfoodle.2439

Nanfoodle.2439

Ya the money sinks in this game are way over board. I get there needs to be money sinks but the death penalty in GW2 is by far the worst of any game I have played. I rather my old school EQ1 days with a little exp lost. If you are level 80 and go back to a lower level area, you cant make back the money. It has stopped me from having any desire to goto lower level areas.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hamsterfist.3182

Hamsterfist.3182

Just tone down the prices a little, that would be nice.

in Suggestions

Posted by: kaffaljidhma.1496

kaffaljidhma.1496

If the death penalty didn’t exist there’d be no incentive to revive.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Agree with the OP—-the double penalty is too much—but I firmly believe that the waypoint costs are too high to begin with and were created with one purpose in mind—gold sinkhole, but to charge repair and travel on death—way over the top.
As for revival—I always go out of my way to revive another player, but it has been my experience that quite a few walk by ya instead of reviving you.

in Suggestions

Posted by: M Luminos.2613

M Luminos.2613

Ya the money sinks in this game are way over board. I get there needs to be money sinks but the death penalty in GW2 is by far the worst of any game I have played. I rather my old school EQ1 days with a little exp lost. If you are level 80 and go back to a lower level area, you cant make back the money. It has stopped me from having any desire to goto lower level areas.

this and a few others must be confused. Im level 80 and i receive enough to cover a death penalty from a single event. Event rewards increase by level, not dependent on the area.

Its laughable that people complain about the cost which is virtually nothing. 2 events = death penalty covered. If you cannot survive two events the problem isnt the game. its user error. I teleport EVERYWHERE and just dropped over 4g on a mystic crescent and still turning a profit… in the metrica province, yes the 1-10 area I made some good silver and hardly died. Im unsure what these guys are doing wrong that dying is breaking the bank.