Reused GW2 armors vs GW1 armors

in Suggestions

Posted by: Septemptus.7164

Septemptus.7164

This is not hate thread so please don’t.
Also don’t post everywhere that devs are lazy and such….

Since launch I was a big fan of going from GW1 to GW2.
I know those are separate games, classes, mechanics etc…

But world, lore and history are just one and you can’t deny it.

At launch we hot 3 armors from GW1 and I think everyone were sure that we will get more soon, but developers went another way. Many people in comunity almost begged for more armors from GW1, but it didn’t happened. Basically I don’t recall any announcement, but after some time we got newly designed armors when they finally were added to gem store.

I thought, OK it’s a philosophy ‘lets discard old and make only new ones’. I kinda accepted that and though ‘you can make new ones, hopefully you will make them very good’, Many armor skins were really good (maybe aside from heavy armors that would have that knight look on Norn, but I will leave with that).

NOW we for the first time got reused skins. That was a kind of blow for me, cause I see those as a kind of side job made in few hours of work and thats it.

WHAT I FAIL TO UNDERSTAND is why if you have armor designed for GW1, that people for over half of year begged on forums. If you want to add something just reserve time on making it. If you don’t have a design or idea, use GW1 armors that people still want (I’m sure there are more people who want them than only me). Please don’t more of those easy and kinda poor reuses when you have such an amazing catalog of armor in GW1…

I know that there is a lot of work with those, maybe you have to redo the from the start or you have to at least make them scaled and changed for all 5 races instead being only for humans.
Yet, that would really make many people very happy. Everyone would also have a reason to buy them and don’t feel betrayed or cash grabbed.

People still consider those 2 of 3 first armors best designed in entire shop.

For those of you who don’t know that I’m talking about, please visit GW1 wiki, go to armors and look for all the designes. Basically every class has multiple designed armors just for that class. It’s a full closed of armors that have even 3D files that can be used at least as a concept arts.

in Suggestions

Posted by: neytiri.9105

neytiri.9105

Yes, the designs for Elementalists were great in GW1, and making them in GW2 with all the glowing effects and stuff would be great! But I’m afraid there will be whiners like about Flamekissed that GW1 lost if originality

in Suggestions

Posted by: FootDive.3451

FootDive.3451

Agreed.

I hate how Mesmers in this game don’t look like Mesmers.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I want my old necromancer Krytan armor back, that design was awesome.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/4/4d/Necromancer_Krytan_armor_f.jpg

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Suggestions

Posted by: noemie Ling.8596

noemie Ling.8596

aye this is a good idea have the armors from GW1 for GW2 , a big +1

i like this have my armor of ranger i used in GW1 on GW2 ( Elite ranger druid from Marhan Grotto )

Attachments:

in Suggestions

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I find it quite funny how people shout about how bad and lazy the devs are releasing reskins of armors, but at the same time seem to be fully okay with reskins, if they are from GW1.
They are still reskins people.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Suggestions

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

I find it quite funny how people shout about how bad and lazy the devs are releasing reskins of armors, but at the same time seem to be fully okay with reskins, if they are from GW1.

Surely they wouldn’t be reskins though? I think they’d have to be totally re-created for GW2.

(edited by Paul.4081)

in Suggestions

lordkrall.7241

But technically they are still reskins.
They use the same engine (although heavily modified) for both games.
They have the standard art and so on.

Sure it might take some work, but it still takes way less than making a completely new skin.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Suggestions

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

a skin is what you put on the armor, what you’re talking about are models.
so yes, they are not reskins, they are totally different models with different skins.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

+1 to more types of armors and weapons, as well as gw1 items. there is not alot of diversity in the fashion department which is strange considering how many people love cosmetics in mmos.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I would personally love to see these make a return:

All ‘Tormented’ Weapon skins
White dyed ‘Voltaic Spear’
Black dyed ‘Voltaic Spear’
‘Chaos gloves’
‘Obsidian’ Ritualist Armour
White dyed ‘Bone Dragon Staff’
Black dyed ‘Bone Dragon Staff’
‘Emerald Blade’
‘Eternal Blade’
‘Greater Arced Blade’
‘Icy Dragon Sword’
‘Vampiric Dragon Sword’
‘Obsidian Edge’
‘Shadow Blade’
‘Ancient Moss Staff’
‘Celestial Staff’
’Fendi’s Staff’
’Havok’s Shield’ – would look AMAZING on a sylvari tbh
‘Shield of the Hierophant’
‘Stygian Aegis’
‘Destructive Shield’ – as shown in the picture with the huge fist – would look epic on a warrior
‘Destroyer Shield’ – would look amazing on someone going for a lava theme
’Magma’s Shield’ – same as above
‘Tormented Shield’ – come on, who WOULDN’T want this?
‘Emerald Blade’ – this sword just looks amazing. I personally would want one for my guardian because it’s so ghostly and epic looking

I could be here all day posting more I’d like in the game, so I’ll just leave it at that, along with a few pictures of just a fraction of the epic GW1 skins that would be stunning in GW2. I hope it happens one day – you have my full support.

Attachments:

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

(edited by Zaoda.1653)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

The biggest difference between what they did with Human T3 and making new models from old ideas is that people have been asking for GW1 skins from day 1.

Face it. GW1 had some decent skins. There’s nothing in GW2 that can compare to some of them. I would kill to see my Norn Ritualist armor in the game for light armor wearers. Or Elite Kurzick/Luxon Monk. Or Asuran Elementalist.

Human T3 was already in the game, so putting out a reskin was obvious. (not even going to touch “right or wrong” here.) GW1 skins aren’t really there, but I think a variation of them could be great.

Level 80 Elementalist

in Suggestions

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

just … see these examples!

Attachments:

# Asura because I’m worth it!

in Suggestions

sorudo.9054

when they do finally add it you have a good thing and a bad thing.
good: armors from GW1
bad: they are in the gem store

in Suggestions

Septemptus.7164

But some of us expect them to be in gem store.
They have to work on them and that is an effort I can gladly pay for but I really want them. Many people like you can read in this thread or all over the forum, wants them.

It’s just a matter of the fact what no one tried to get them for us :/.

in Suggestions

Posted by: King xiuras.3615

King xiuras.3615

They should re-introduce this armor. It would be an awesome armor skin for ascended armor, plus they should add an long cape for to make it more stunning!

Attachments:

Khalar Bladestorm – Pugmaster of AoA – Dungeon Master – Event Comander of AoA

in Suggestions

Posted by: flipyap.5789

flipyap.5789

some old armors i want recycled:
First 3: Elite Templar, Silver Eagle, Ancient(HEAVY) next 2: Anton’s gold deldrimor armor, elite drakescale(MEDIUM) last 2: Any full body tattoo skin, Imperial Ritualist(LIGHT)

Attachments:

(edited by flipyap.5789)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Anet, I will automatically buy any Medium Armor that doesn’t make females look like a (censored), and does not in any way include a trench coat or anything else of the sort that even seems similar to that in anyway.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I wouldn’t mind them being in the gem store… as long as they stay there as permanent sales, because some of us aren’t extremely rich and people like myself need time to save up to buy them – not have them as limited sales for 1-2 weeks like most skins these days.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shades.4572

Shades.4572

I wouldn’t mind them being in the gem store… as long as they stay there as permanent sales, because some of us aren’t extremely rich and people like myself need time to save up to buy them – not have them as limited sales for 1-2 weeks like most skins these days.

Agreed while I don’t mind buying the skins, with real life money, to help support the game since I like it. I prefer to just buy a little here and a little there. But limited armor sales or town clothes sales really sucks when you like all of them (light, med, & heavy). That adds up and leaves a bad taste behind knowing that I have to spend the $20-$30 dollars on them all now or I don’t get them at all. I enjoy the game and keep playing because there’s no subscription fee, and if I want to buy an armor set I would buy it when I want to, since I don’t feel like spending my money every paycheck on a game, but some months I don’t mind it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

They’re not reskins. As they aren’t used in GW2, an entirely seperate game from GW1.

in Suggestions

lordkrall.7241

They’re not reskins. As they aren’t used in GW2, an entirely seperate game from GW1.

Oh, so taking models they already have and releasing them is okay and not lazy simply because it is in another game but actually doing changes to stuff already in the game (which most likely takes more effort than putting the GW1 skins in) is lazy?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

No, what he means that if they were to bring armors from GW1 into GW2, they would still need to make them from scratch (GW1 and GW2 have entirely different character models). Where as an actual reskin, is simply a matter of modifying the texture of an existing armor a bit.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Suggestions

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

I’ve expected GW1 armors with tuning being seen in GemStore or some even within the game as “traditional” or “cultural” kind, or at least as Legendary/Ascended versions. But no…

GW2 must honor GW1 gamers who made Arenanet able to make GW2.
Without our love and care, this game would be nowhere. Not even where it stands now…

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

in Suggestions

sorudo.9054

the reason why i am against gem store sales is because they become skins for just one character, not unlocks like the HoM armor skins, if they do become actual unlocks i would not mind it as much.

in Suggestions

Septemptus.7164

the reason why i am against gem store sales is because they become skins for just one character, not unlocks like the HoM armor skins, if they do become actual unlocks i would not mind it as much.

I really look forward to see that, but in the end I would buy even one for the character if they would review one from GW1.
As you all showed there are many of good looking in there.

in Suggestions

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

Yes. The Gemstore kins should be Unlocks, like Zenith skins.
Would not brake the income, since there is very very very small amount of people who buy the same skinpack. So then, why not making a kind step towards loyal and supportive users??

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Yes. The Gemstore kins should be Unlocks, like Zenith skins.
Would not brake the income, since there is very very very small amount of people who buy the same skinpack. So then, why not making a kind step towards loyal and supportive users??

Having Gem Store Skins become an unlock like Zenith skins would make me buy them alot more often, that way I don’t have to worry about using them only once.

Of course, Anet likes the money they make off of those transmutation stones/crystals/etc. Not that there is anything wrong with wanting more money, but, I am guessing there is a realistic reason why all the Living story skins and gem store skins are one time use only.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Butch.4957

Butch.4957

personally, i miss the bandanas that you could dye all different colors and upgrade to take the place of any type of armor.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

While they would be reskins of GW1 armor, they are not currently available in this game. Therefore they are new, as far as gw2 is concerned.

I would love to see the armor and weapons from gw1 available here. I would like for some of them to be available in game and not just all on the gemstore.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

in Suggestions

Posted by: thorv.6309

thorv.6309

im totally in agreement with all of this except the part of them being in the gem store not everyone is able to use the gem store. if they introduce more gw1 skins they shouldnt be 1 use covers from the gem store but their own armors that come as drops with their own stats or as skins with multiple uses as an award from something in game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: thorv.6309

thorv.6309

I would personally love to see these make a return:

All ‘Tormented’ Weapon skins
White dyed ‘Voltaic Spear’
Black dyed ‘Voltaic Spear’
‘Chaos gloves’
‘Obsidian’ Ritualist Armour
White dyed ‘Bone Dragon Staff’
Black dyed ‘Bone Dragon Staff’
‘Emerald Blade’
‘Eternal Blade’
‘Greater Arced Blade’
‘Icy Dragon Sword’
‘Vampiric Dragon Sword’
‘Obsidian Edge’
‘Shadow Blade’
‘Ancient Moss Staff’
‘Celestial Staff’
’Fendi’s Staff’
’Havok’s Shield’ – would look AMAZING on a sylvari tbh
‘Shield of the Hierophant’
‘Stygian Aegis’
‘Destructive Shield’ – as shown in the picture with the huge fist – would look epic on a warrior
‘Destroyer Shield’ – would look amazing on someone going for a lava theme
’Magma’s Shield’ – same as above
‘Tormented Shield’ – come on, who WOULDN’T want this?
‘Emerald Blade’ – this sword just looks amazing. I personally would want one for my guardian because it’s so ghostly and epic looking

I could be here all day posting more I’d like in the game, so I’ll just leave it at that, along with a few pictures of just a fraction of the epic GW1 skins that would be stunning in GW2. I hope it happens one day – you have my full support.

IDS and fendi’s staff skins are already in the bone staff skin is used on an exotic and the ids is i believe a legendary? not positive on this it could also be an exotic but the skins are there.
btw i would love to see these skins introduced to the game especially the bds

in Suggestions

Septemptus.7164

Of course, Anet likes the money they make off of those transmutation stones/crystals/etc. Not that there is anything wrong with wanting more money, but, I am guessing there is a realistic reason why all the Living story skins and gem store skins are one time use only.

They said they will implement some kind of wardrobe system.
Some people have hopes it will allow for multiple uses of skins.
I guess we will have to see.

in Suggestions

sorudo.9054

They said they will implement some kind of wardrobe system.
Some people have hopes it will allow for multiple uses of skins.
I guess we will have to see.

it will probably work just like the PvP storage, not unlocks but simply a armor storage for your characters.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hastings.4068

Hastings.4068

Agreed.

Agreed

in Suggestions

Hastings.4068

This is not hate thread so please don’t.
Also don’t post everywhere that devs are lazy and such….

Since launch I was a big fan of going from GW1 to GW2.
I know those are separate games, classes, mechanics etc…

But world, lore and history are just one and you can’t deny it.

At launch we hot 3 armors from GW1 and I think everyone were sure that we will get more soon, but developers went another way. Many people in comunity almost begged for more armors from GW1, but it didn’t happened. Basically I don’t recall any announcement, but after some time we got newly designed armors when they finally were added to gem store.

I thought, OK it’s a philosophy ‘lets discard old and make only new ones’. I kinda accepted that and though ‘you can make new ones, hopefully you will make them very good’, Many armor skins were really good (maybe aside from heavy armors that would have that knight look on Norn, but I will leave with that).

NOW we for the first time got reused skins. That was a kind of blow for me, cause I see those as a kind of side job made in few hours of work and thats it.

WHAT I FAIL TO UNDERSTAND is why if you have armor designed for GW1, that people for over half of year begged on forums. If you want to add something just reserve time on making it. If you don’t have a design or idea, use GW1 armors that people still want (I’m sure there are more people who want them than only me). Please don’t more of those easy and kinda poor reuses when you have such an amazing catalog of armor in GW1…

I know that there is a lot of work with those, maybe you have to redo the from the start or you have to at least make them scaled and changed for all 5 races instead being only for humans.
Yet, that would really make many people very happy. Everyone would also have a reason to buy them and don’t feel betrayed or cash grabbed.

People still consider those 2 of 3 first armors best designed in entire shop.

For those of you who don’t know that I’m talking about, please visit GW1 wiki, go to armors and look for all the designes. Basically every class has multiple designed armors just for that class. It’s a full closed of armors that have even 3D files that can be used at least as a concept arts.

I think bringing the skins from Guild Wars would be cool but they could add it as another feature or benefit of playing Guild Wars. Why not make it so if you had the armor in GW1 you can pull it off the merchant in the Hall of Monuments.

The only problem with this though is it seems to be antithethical to ANETs new philosophy of charging people for all new skins. I have been playing for over a year now and there has yet to be new armour skins that one didn’t have to pay money for. Lots of shoulder pieces that I don’t use, lots of back pieces that I don’t use, lots of mish mash that really don’t go with anything. I honestly would love some type of dress or skirt with a matching chest piece that didn’t make my mesmer look like a kitten but that’s me.

Weapon skins? How many new weapons skins have we gotten this year that didn’t require one to gamble? There were the Jade Dragon Skins with Dragon Bash … The ones with the Twilight Arbor patch … do we count the one with Tequatl since it is just a died version of ascended? Oh, yes, Ascended skins.

What annoys me is that I really don’t like any of the skins. I like some of the Legendary Weapon skins but that is about it. Guild Wars 1, I’m trying to figure out which armour set and weapons I want first.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

This game needs more GW1 armors. Especially necro armors, because now I can see pink hot ladies NECROMANCERS

in Suggestions

Posted by: Keyno.8431

Keyno.8431

Luxon and Kurzik
Elite Canthan, all the ones with ‘Elite’ prefix really
Vabbian, Primeval… just to name a few…
Those ones, I think its safe to say were good for all professions.

GW2 definitely sacrificed diversity between profession appearances. I think it was a VERY huge sacrifice and efforts should be made to bring that back, because I find it very disheartening that I know my mesmer is going to look exactly as my elementalist did: exactly as my necro looked… it diminishes the character of each profession, not to mention taking a huge chunk of the fun out of trying a new profession. Appearance is important, and I know I’m not alone here.

I would suggest that Arenanet gets much more competitive in the realm of customization.

Customization is Key (my suggestion)

in Suggestions

sorudo.9054

Agreed.

actually half the light armor skins are pretty much mesmer tailored, only 3 or 4 are made for necro’s and the rest is ether elle specific or boring in general.

in Suggestions

Septemptus.7164

I think bringing the skins from Guild Wars would be cool but they could add it as another feature or benefit of playing Guild Wars. Why not make it so if you had the armor in GW1 you can pull it off the merchant in the Hall of Monuments.

For me if they bring back skins from GW1 they should be sold for gems.
It would be their work and they have to be paid for a good work – licensing to what people want is a part of that.

They shouldn’t add more things to HoM, maybe they should revamp the place. Basically as I see it sad I can’t deny it GW2 can’t make people go and fo stuff in GW1. They are focusing on GW2 and as much as I love GW1 they shouldn’t make people go that way.
Having some neat skins and titles from GW1 as all they did and that shouldn’t change.

in Suggestions

Hastings.4068

I don’t think it should be looked as “making them do GW1,” especially after all the garbage I read about play your way. The whole premise of GW2 supposedly is you don’t have to do everything. By that logic, you don’t have to have the cool Armour skins from GW1. It would be something people could work for and that’s one difference between GW and GW2, the content in GW is permanent. GW2 is here one day gone the next. I also think it would be a nice reward to the GW player base since they already got neglected for six years and then finally abandoned.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

I would absolutely love to see some of the skins brought forward from GW, both armor and weapons. I don’t see any reason why GW2 couldn’t capitalize on what was previously created.

However, I don’t think it should be done through the HoM. Limiting some reward content to the HoM is fine, but expanding on the HoM now that GW2 is live would just place an unnecessary restriction on new content.

I think the skins that would be brought forward would be much better used as in-game rewards for new dungeons, karma vendors in new explorable maps, or, best of all, crafting recipes that might actually make crafting worthwhile.

in Suggestions

Septemptus.7164

However, I don’t think it should be done through the HoM. Limiting some reward content to the HoM is fine, but expanding on the HoM now that GW2 is live would just place an unnecessary restriction on new content.

I think the skins that would be brought forward would be much better used as in-game rewards for new dungeons, karma vendors in new explorable maps, or, best of all, crafting recipes that might actually make crafting worthwhile.

I think getting new skins just as easy means like karma/dungeon tokens wont help the game. We basically have some in there and as far as I see it’s not really good.

HoM would limit things. I agree to that.
Well they could add armors that you could buy in HoM and gem if you haven’t played GW1, but I kinda don’t think they would do that, although it would be great gesture for those who supported them since GW1 and let’s face it, there aren’t many of people like that (I see it by the very decreased number of GW1 titles).

We sadly probably won’t see the nice gesture for GW1 players but that doesn’t mean we won’t see GW1 armors cause they are very, very good. So I will hope for that.