Reconsider the Title Screen

in Suggestions

Posted by: coffeemancer.2450

coffeemancer.2450

Disclaimer: This is a well thought out suggestion, posted in the correct sub-forum. It’s not a demand for attention or a petition.

My suggestion is that Anet should reconsider having a title screen for their video game.

Rationale:

First, please read this response from Regina;

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Show-your-Support-for-the-Title-Screen/first#post57172

1) Before launch, having the -useoldlauncher command gave players the option of using the title screen, without impacting a player’s ability to use the launcher. They could go back to using the new launcher at any time.

2) players have many options to find news and information about the game, using the launcher for this purpose is not necessary and will not inhibit the flow of news or information

3) Guild Wars 1 had a title screen with news and information about the game.

4) There have been no reported technical issues with having both options available.

5) options are good

Video games have title screens. Please give us back the GW2 title screen.

in Suggestions

Posted by: MrsAngelD.6971

MrsAngelD.6971

I too prefer the title screen.

in Suggestions

coffeemancer.2450

Thanks, I imagine a lot of people do.

in Suggestions

Posted by: mnguyen.5142

mnguyen.5142

AGREED. I really prefer the traditional method GW1 took. It just felt better and the huge dragon on the menu when you launched the game blew my mind completely. I really really hope this is considered because to be honest, I DO NOT like the way it is now.

“Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.” – Voltaire

in Suggestions

Posted by: ituhata.6830

ituhata.6830

As long as its an option, I’m fine with it. <(^_^)B

Caelthras – Fort Aspenwood
3rd Flora Artillery Unit

in Suggestions

coffeemancer.2450

In fact many other games have both launchers and title screens. The launcher handles patching, and maybe log-ins, then it sends you to the title screen. It’s an important part of the presentation of a game…

in Suggestions

Posted by: AlpineFlame.7058

AlpineFlame.7058

I remember the first time I launched the game and got that SWEET title/logon screen. Now I have this… launcher… thing. Without the option to have a proper login screen. Please at least allow the option. I want it back so bad.

EDIT: I have scrubbed these boards for an hour now, and the only response about it was the old “you’ll use the new one and like it”. At least a decent answer would be nice. Not knocking the hard working people at A net of course, but that PC canned answer was a bit of a cop out.

(edited by AlpineFlame.7058)

in Suggestions

Posted by: DFAnton.5304

DFAnton.5304

The title screen must come back, if only for one reason. If you get disconnected from the server entirely, the whole client closes and leaves you with the launcher.

in Suggestions

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

Agreed, loved the old title screen a LOT more

in Suggestions

coffeemancer.2450

I have scrubbed these boards for an hour now, and the only response about it was the old “you’ll use the new one and like it”. At least a decent answer would be nice. Not knocking the hard working people at A net of course, but that PC canned answer was a bit of a cop out.

I asked for an answer and that’s what I got, so I’m glad for at least that, but you’re right; it’s not much of a response. People want it. Isn’t that what capitalism is all about? People want things, you provide them, make money. I don’t see how giving players this option will hurt anything. At the very least it will leave a lasting impression on the community that Anet really cares about their consumers and that we’re not just units sold to them.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Soulweaver.2190

Soulweaver.2190

While I don’t believe it will be coming back, I’ll also throw in my two cents in support of the old, epic title screen.

By the way, I don’t think there was any mention of what ultimately happened to the three-color password hash. It was first promoted as a kinda cool unique feature which should’ve helped people spot typos they make while being inaccurate enough to not be insecure, but then it was abandoned when the launcher took over the login features. Was there some kind of problem with it? I think it would’ve fit easily into the launcher as well…

[FR] Furious Rising, Ring of Fire; Soul Weaver (N/Ranger/80), Kuang Steak (C/War/80),
Zephyrweaver (H/Ele/80), Dusk Weaver (A/Thief/80), Soulweaver (S/Mes),
Svàlinn (C/Guard), Exxíon (A/Engi/80), Spectrallum (S/Necro)

in Suggestions

coffeemancer.2450

I also liked the password-hash, another feature that is mysteriously gone.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Turial.1293

Turial.1293

This would be a nice feature to reimplement, seeing the huge dragon for the first time and listening to the epic accompanying soundtrack of Soule was really the best moment of the beta, it felt as if I was about to get everything I had been waiting for as soon as I logged on.

I would say they removed it due to constraints of some kind, they needed to share their news somewhere and it is sad about the password helper too, I thought that was an interesting idea.

“Some of my best friends are heterosexual”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Timbersword.9014

Timbersword.9014

Before I load up Guild Wars 2, I often youtube “Into Free Dangan” and just imagine the Guild Wars 2 logo in a similar fashion to how Dragon’s Dogma’s title screen looked.

Orchestral has it’s place, but for a title screen, I need something that gets me pumped up. For some reason, orchestral music doesn’t usually do that for me at a title screen. For me, it’s more appropriate in the heat of the moment.

An orchestral piece based on a rock/metal song, now that’s just fantastic all around though. The title song made epic.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vigilence.4902

Vigilence.4902

The more options the better.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

I was wondering why they took it off. A titlke screen is very appreciated. I must say tho, the old one with the red logo on it wasn;t so appealing but a random anymation from all 5 race towns, or just Lion’s Arch, could do much better.
They could add those news in there too like in GW1.

Also, what is with this new character select screen? Just characters in from of a wall. GW1 has one of the best character screens ever if not the best one. It was taking you in a moving world from the start.

Let’s say I agree with the character creation mechanic, although GW1 beats everything in originality. You were seeing your character in the world not on on some slider show.

The “Log on screen” and “The character selection screen” were one of the deifying features of GW. They could’ve kept it the same.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Character_selection_screen

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Login_screen

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485

Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485

its for the e-mail authorization. if it was ingame it would mean minimizing the game to auth your network and login.

in Suggestions

coffeemancer.2450

I don’t see how that’s a problem. Unless of course the system is bugged (it is) and it constantly asks you to verify your log-in even though you’ve done it five times in the past before from the same IP.

The title-screen is not responsible for inconveniencing players, it’s the people who designed the game and it’s systems.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

I wasn’t in the beta so I had never seen, nor heard of the title screen. Searched it up on youtube and I think it looks AMAZING, now I’m wondering to myself “Why wasn’t this included?”. I mean it even had a status you could choose to log in as, which I think was awesome when they patched it in for GW1 log-in.

I’d definitely want this instead of the launcher, if they want people to see the latest updates and stuff, they could just do what they did with the dynamic log-in screen in GW1.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

I want it back!!!

Please reconsider it!

You will find another place for news/ information, just like you did in the original GW. :-)

Players put great value upon these little things which enhances their daily gameplay.
You have proven to listen to us as you changed the display option to hide helmets/ etc in the character screen (<3), you can do it again!

in Suggestions

coffeemancer.2450

I’d definitely want this instead of the launcher, if they want people to see the latest updates and stuff, they could just do what they did with the dynamic log-in screen in GW1.

I agree, it worked fine in GW1.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Celine.3287

Celine.3287

Agreed. The title screen looked great on the beta, forcing the new launcher feels backwards.

It’s all about the money~

in Suggestions

Posted by: FallenAdvent.5904

FallenAdvent.5904

When I first kicked up GW2 on beta weekend 1, I was absolutly floored by the epic title screen. The music was amazing. Stunning in every way. Please bring it back.