Remember the Elite areas in GW1?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cloudwalkernz.1328

Cloudwalkernz.1328

Something I been missing after I ding level 80 is the the elite areas in GW1. Remember Sorrow’s Furnace and Ruins of the Tomb of the Primeval Kings in Prophecies? What about The Underworld and The Fissure of Woe where we used to spend days on end to farm Globs of Ectoplasm?

It would provide an alternative to Orr which is buggy and boring.

I also think these areas should be made PVP as well. It will cut down the number of bots and provide an alternative to WvW for casual PVP.

What do you think?

in Suggestions

Posted by: VitisVinifera.2834

VitisVinifera.2834

I saw some screenshots a few months before launch that had distinctly UW architecture (frozen wastes to be specific)

probably in development

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

Never got to do them in GW1 because of group elitism, if you weren’t the right class/cookie cutter build combo or you were new you didn’t get a party… so no I’d rather they not add content a casual player won’t be able to experience.

And definitely against any sort of PvP in PvE, no need to open this game up to griefers.

(edited by Shinzan.2908)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Uchi.2419

Uchi.2419

I think that’s a terrible idea. The game isn’t built around open world PvP.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Something I been missing after I ding level 80 is the the elite areas in GW1. Remember Sorrow’s Furnace

Remember it? I was the wiki on it in my guild . Heck i remember when Sorrows Furnace was added and still go down there for kicks . SF is now Sorrows Embrace of course so that ones kinda covered . As for UW and FoW i wonder whats happened in those 250 years and it would be interesting to find out at some point .I would also like to see exactly what Kanaxai was up to in a Canthan expansion . as for it being PvP i’ll pass

in Suggestions

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

An adament NO to open world PvP. But…

I would LOVE to see FOW and UW now, 250yrs later. Did UW become more twisted than ever in all those years? Has the Forge been opened by a dark force, using it to craft the one ring…er i mean a powerful friggin’ axe? Have the Tombs of Primeval Kings been cleaned out and reopened as an exotic underground palace for a corrupted queen?

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

Keep the PvP where it is.

I am sure more areas will be added. What you may not know is that most of these areas in GW1 weren’t there on release either.

There were no dungeons till later either. GW2 has dungeons and I am sure some elite zones will come out at some point.

But yeh it would be cool to have UW and FOW again, that I do agree with

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

Yeah, I remember getting kicked out of an instance because some weak obscure NPC died completely out of my sight while I’m playing Warrior. That was totally fun.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gohlar.3671

Gohlar.3671

Never got to do them in GW1 because of group elitism, if you weren’t the right class/cookie cutter build combo or you were new you didn’t get a party… so no I’d rather they not add content a casual player won’t be able to experience.

And definitely against any sort of PvP in PvE, no need to open this game up to griefers.

Sadly this guy is the type of person GW2 seems designed for. If the worst player in the game can’t do it, it’s too hard.

It’s a shame because too. Notice how he blames everyone else for his inability to do the content? I pugged FoW from the start with all kinds of different groups, we didn’t finish but we had fun trying. Eventually I was able to complete the zone and it was very gratifying. Not because of any reward, just because of the fun factor. That is missing in GW2.

I think elite areas would go a long way in GW2 as there is no interesting challenges to overcome now.

Yeah, I remember getting kicked out of an instance because some weak obscure NPC died completely out of my sight while I’m playing Warrior. That was totally fun.

Yeah there were some cheap ways to lose, but that doesn’t mean removing difficulty completely is the answer.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Menelik.8634

Menelik.8634

Gohlar, I’m not sure what you mean by challenging. The only thing that is the challenging aspect is being punished for mistakes. Other than that all you need is the meta builds, which by the way got worse as it went along. Once you’ve done it, you know what to expect. That’s why I got bored of it fast.

For elite areas to be challenging and fun, at least in my opinion, it should have unpredictability. By this I mean, monsters would spawn, patrol, attack differently each time you go in. Also have different quest that would branch out differently. This way there’s more focus on team work rather than making builds just around specific mobs like the speed clear teams.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

I’m fairly sure we’re going to see a lot of level 80 zones being added, considering the amount of open space on the world map.

The real question is whether they will be free updates, or are we going to have to pay for them console DLC-style?

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

in Suggestions

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

Gohlar Presuming someone is a bad player because he/she doesn’t want to conform to a particular build for a dungeon run is just silly. If anything, odds are they are pretty good because they want to challenge themselves with an unknown and untested playstyle. Doing successful dungeon runs in GW1 was largely dependent on your builds. There was some skill involved with timing and positioning, but overall it was a very repetitive thing.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Suggestions

Posted by: dimgl.4786

dimgl.4786

I actually really miss these areas. It’s a shame Guild Wars 2 is not built upon a system where the creation of these areas would be an easy task.

in Suggestions

Posted by: dimgl.4786

dimgl.4786

Something I been missing after I ding level 80 is the the elite areas in GW1. Remember Sorrow’s Furnace

Remember it? I was the wiki on it in my guild . Heck i remember when Sorrows Furnace was added and still go down there for kicks . SF is now Sorrows Embrace of course so that ones kinda covered . As for UW and FoW i wonder whats happened in those 250 years and it would be interesting to find out at some point .I would also like to see exactly what Kanaxai was up to in a Canthan expansion . as for it being PvP i’ll pass

I actually hate Sorrow’s Embrace. What a fail.

in Suggestions

Posted by: CassieGold.7460

CassieGold.7460

I loved doing elite areas in GW1… spent a ton of time in DoA / Slaver’s Exile / Urgoz.

I will say that it was a bit intimidating to get into FoW / UW. I did several runs with guild groups (moderate levels of success) but we were all figuring it out. At times, I was able to get a PUG that was willing to take on someone who was new… more often when I was on my Monk than anything else. But when chat is full of “LF SF DD for Pools” or other such nonsense… if you’re not plugged into the meta, it can be hard to get a group, and the area can feel elitist.

When it’s not about being a good player, but instead about following the meta or risk being called a n00b by people who are just running the same cookie cutter garbage that someone else innovated…. yeah, that’s less fun.

What I really want is an elite zone that we can take a larger than 5 man team to. My guild did Urgoz a ton because it was a 12 man… having to tell people ’we’re doing a dungeon… sorry, it’s full’ so often sucks… it’s less opportunity for the guild to do instanced content together.

LVL 80’s: Thief / Warrior / Guardian / Mesmer

in Suggestions

Posted by: MrThebigcheese.2014

MrThebigcheese.2014

Gohlar Presuming someone is a bad player because he/she doesn’t want to conform to a particular build for a dungeon run is just silly. If anything, odds are they are pretty good because they want to challenge themselves with an unknown and untested playstyle. Doing successful dungeon runs in GW1 was largely dependent on your builds. There was some skill involved with timing and positioning, but overall it was a very repetitive thing.

That is literally what makes a good player in this type of game. Learning what to do. It’s not like there is any twichy skill or anything involved.

Besides, FoW, SF and other areas could easily be completed with a variety of different group make ups. UW and some other areas were harder but that’s ok. Everyone doesn’t HAVE to get a trophy. If you can’t even try the areas, as the guy said himself, you’re bad. You lack basic skills to group up with other people to overcome challenges.

Suggesting it was impossible to do the areas is just silly and anyone saying that is just making excuses.

GW2 is designed for the lowest common denominator and that to me is a shame.

(edited by MrThebigcheese.2014)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

Yea, I do want more level 80 areas and wouldn’t mind more challenge, as long as it’s not exclusive due to requiring a certain build or precise coordination to get done. Keeping the current event structure where you just run up to an event and join but with harder encounters would be fine with me.

I’m fine with GW2 dungeons for the same reason, your build and class doesn’t matter so it’s easy to get a pug and still finish as long as everyone’s competent.

in Suggestions

Posted by: aeonZgamer.5307

aeonZgamer.5307

Remember when Guild Wars 1 didn’t have that when it was just Guild Wars 1 proper and you dinged 30 and all you could do was craft and PvP?
Remember what happened soon after? Nightfall, Prophecies, Eye of the North
Expansions….Nuff said.

in Suggestions

MrThebigcheese.2014

Max level was 20 and there were elite areas on release (or very soon after I suppose, it did take me a little time to get there).

in Suggestions

Posted by: Safer Saviour.9685

Safer Saviour.9685

Were the FoW and UW in release? Because I know Sorrows wasn’t and the only people who ever ran Tombs were the PvP guilds. It was not something you could approach as a PUG.

/Later/ we got SF, Urgoz’s Warren, The Deep, the DoA, the addition of Dhuum to the UW, the EotN dungeons, and the addition of Hard Mode.

In GW2 we’ve got eight dungeons, each with four paths, save for one which has five. That’s far more than GW1 began with. Give it a while.

(edited by Safer Saviour.9685)

in Suggestions

Posted by: aeonZgamer.5307

aeonZgamer.5307

Tombs was in but the Uber hardcore elite PvP guilds were the only ones who ever went there
FoW and UW came in an expansion
Some of the other areas got added in massive content patches
When I played GW it was Non-expansion fresh from the devs
And yeah Safer that’s a TON more than GW1 had to begin with, We even have more areas since we have some of the low to mid range content areas of GW1 for the 5 Races to tool about in even some of the classes that got ADDED to the GW1 game are in GW2 by default
Just because some of the High up content isn’t in game doesn’t mean it’ll never be there, just give it time. After all it’s been 250 years and the Dragons/Dragon agents are roaming about…Who knows who or what is out there…watching and waiting.

in Suggestions

MrThebigcheese.2014

Tombs was in but the Uber hardcore elite PvP guilds were the only ones who ever went there
FoW and UW came in an expansion

FoW and UW were not released with an expansion and were available on release I’m pretty sure. They were there when I got to 20 shortly after release anyways.

There is more volume of content in GW2, it’s just all more or less the same and very simple in nature.

in Suggestions

Safer Saviour.9685

And what did FoW and UW give you that you can’t get in GW2? Heck, the UW was one of the most poorly designed elite areas in the game. You should never automatically fail a quest simply by /accepting a quest/. Many triggered enemies spawn in odd places which you can’t know about unless you’ve played through it before. You need to protect NPCs but you’re not always told you have to protect those NPCs etc. And none of those quests are more challenging than anywhere else in the game… With the exception of the Horsemen. To say nothing of the numerous exploits SC runners took advantage of.

The single best part of the Underworld is Dhuum and he came /years/ after launch.

(edited by Safer Saviour.9685)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Angelus.1042

Angelus.1042

lol

I did almost all these areas with Heros. Rest were with frineds from my 6 year old guild in GW1.
7 hero support group setup. Sabway setup. Disord setup and so on and so on.

If you got the right hero setup you could have done every area..some may be more challenging then others and not with real people but it could be done.

Or were you one of the many who jumped into GW1 just to farm HoM points like so many people did before GW2 launch. Then I kinda understand why you were shunned from most groups (no offense) cause most HoM farmers were under geaed had only a few heroes and didn’t understand much about the game mechanics and hero setups. There were just there to try and get some points.

I personally feel Anet should have made different teirs of HoM points depending on how many years you had your GW1 account.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

I feel GW2 has enough content for now, it’s a lot more than any other MMO at launch.

Still, I want UW/FoW/Tomb-like zones at some point.
Perhaps by January or so.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

@ Safer Saviour
Yes FoW and UW were there on release but the way favor worked you could only go there if your servers held halls . So if a European guild held halls America and Asia were pretty much screwed as far as going to FoW and UW .

in Suggestions

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

Well, although I was always fascinated by those areas and wanted to do them, I didn’t like them because you had to have a full group of human players, at least one other player with their heroes or two accounts to actually complete them. The 7 heroes update was a godsend for me(If you’re reading this Mr. Stumme, thank you!), and I could finally try myself at the DoA, Urgoz, and all the others. I knew that a lot of additional lore was “put” into these places, which I then could finally experience for the first time after four years of play time.

Game play wise I wasn’t very impressed with the FoW or UW, but the Canthan and Elonian Elite areas were a bit more fun, if only because you felt more b?adass for fighting larger groups of monsters.

in Suggestions

Safer Saviour.9685

@ Safer Saviour
Yes FoW and UW were there on release but the way favor worked you could only go there if your servers held halls . So if a European guild held halls America and Asia were pretty much screwed as far as going to FoW and UW .

Ah, I joined around the time Sorrow’s was added, so I wasn’t sure.

And I’m a Euro player. If I was awake and in game, chances are we had favour. Certain times went to Asia… America never seemed to do very well. That’s a whole continent of players who couldn’t access FoW or UW…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Sadly this guy is the type of person GW2 seems designed for. If the worst player in the game can’t do it, it’s too hard.

It’s a shame because too. Notice how he blames everyone else for his inability to do the content? I pugged FoW from the start with all kinds of different groups, we didn’t finish but we had fun trying. Eventually I was able to complete the zone and it was very gratifying. Not because of any reward, just because of the fun factor. That is missing in GW2.

I think elite areas would go a long way in GW2 as there is no interesting challenges to overcome now.

The problem isn’t that you can’t finish it with a PUG. The problem is that for the last few years it’s been almost impossible to get into a PUG in the first place unless you’ve got the designated speed clear build and proof that you’ve done it 100 or so times before. (Or have bought the drops to fake it.) Not to mention doing it as a speed clear means you only actually get to do one or two of the quests then run around claiming the reward for ones you didn’t do.

I tried many times to find a group willing to do it any other way and ended up doing both with heroes because there just weren’t enough people willing to put the time and effort in. Most people seemed to just want the rewards ASAP and treated actually playing the game as some kind of inconvinience to be gotten around.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: GrimShade.8091

GrimShade.8091

I’m really not getting any complaints about FoW and UW. They opened it up for Hero’s and you can go in right now and do it with just your Hero’s. Stop the debate and move on.

Hey guys remember the 5 man dungeons? I hear there is even a few lvl 80 ones? What’s wrong these aren’t hard enough for you?

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

They have already announced more content being in the oven.

I’d rather have them focus more in Tyria, and go to the Mists once Tyria is covered.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!