Remove the Experience bonus from food and potions

in Suggestions

Posted by: Moandero.7320

Moandero.7320

It is WAY to easy to level, I mean you can almost level standing idle. I like that there is cooking in the game, but why does every item crafted in cooking have exp bonus on it? Potions too. It is OVERKILL.

You get exp from killing mobs (obvious)
You get exp from exploring
You get exp from vistas
You get exp from hearts
You get exp from dynamic events
You get exp from harvesting nodes
You get exp from various achievements
You get exp from crafting items
You get exp from discovery

I’m sure there are more, like sneezing while clicking F5 or something, but my point is, there is a ton of ways to get exp as it is, getting a bonus from EVERY piece of food is just too much. Other bonuses are fine (within reason), but it would be cool if the exp bonus was removed.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tradewind.6913

Tradewind.6913

Why not? Is being level 80 something special and needs to be preserved?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Windwalker.2047

Windwalker.2047

I found the leveling too slow and i love the food buffs-if you dont like it dont eat food

in Suggestions

Posted by: roqoco.4053

roqoco.4053

Agree with op. Mostly, I’m trying in the game to lower the amount of XP I get as I like to explore the content thoroughly and not overlevel – content is really more fun a couple of levels lower than area level. For that reason the additional XP you get from food is not at all welcome.

in Suggestions

Tradewind.6913

You’re downscaled anyway to the appropriate level for the area….

in Suggestions

Moandero.7320

Windwalker, if you find leveling too slow, I am baffled. Give me your secret, I want to slow down and cannot. Oh, I don’t use food, potions or any buff for experience, hence not utilizing the other buffs food and potions may provide so I don’t get the experience bonus. I find it an extremely poor solution I am forcing myself to do. I would rather have the experience bonus removed.

in Suggestions

Tradewind.6913

Why though?

/15chars

in Suggestions

Posted by: MRA.4758

MRA.4758

It is WAY to easy to level, I mean you can almost level standing idle. I like that there is cooking in the game, but why does every item crafted in cooking have exp bonus on it? Potions too. It is OVERKILL.

I disagree, it’s not overkill, it’s CHOICE. There are many options to gain XP such that people can choose the ones they like, and ignore the rest. And the great thing about downscaling is that if you might happen to have consumed ‘to much XP’, it doesn’t even matter.

So there is no problem.

I’m sure there are more, like sneezing while clicking F5 or something, but my point is, there is a ton of ways to get exp as it is, getting a bonus from EVERY piece of food is just too much. Other bonuses are fine (within reason), but it would be cool if the exp bonus was removed.

You do realize that the 10% only affects XP from killing mobs? Killing mobs has the absolutely least impact on your XP income, and only people with really way too much spare time would run around and butcher the poor wildlife for the sake of leveling.

~MRA

IGN: Peavy (Asuran Engineer)
Tyrian Intelligence Agency [TIA]
Dies for Riverside on a regular basis, since the betas

(edited by MRA.4758)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

No. Please dear lord, no.
To trivialise food would be awful. Its bad enough as it is that food sells so cheap!

I say increase the benefits of food;
+10XP per kill? Trivial.
+10XP per kill after L80? Pointless.
Give more powerful combat buffs!

in Suggestions

Tradewind.6913

Coconut Bars are the way to go anyway.

in Suggestions

Moandero.7320

MRA – no, it’s not choice. I have no choice in the gazillion ways I earn experience. It just happens. Now, I do have a choice in using food or not, but I then lose out on the other bonuses BESIDES experience that I would like. Of’course I realize the food/potion exp bonus is for killing mobs, but I don’t need yet another exp bonus. So, if, as you say, killing mobs has the LEAST impact on my XP income, then the bonus really shouldn’t be there to begin with since it’s impact is also negligable. I agree!

Now, your idea that people are running around butchering the poor wildlife for the sake of leveling – this is definitely incorrect. They are butchering the poor wildlife for the sake of crafting mats…to make items that they have already outleveled because they level too fast. Downscaling to a zone doesn’t help that.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

Why? With downleveling in this game your actual level is almost meaningless. The only thing your level does is prevent you from moving forward, and since nothing is forcing you to move forward this argument is rather pointless.

in Suggestions

Moandero.7320

Actual level is not meaningless in concerns to equipment. So, let’s take it this way:

You take the crafting profession Leatherworking, so you can make items for yourself.
You require fine materials to craft these items – quite a bit. In order to get these materials, you must be in the appropriate level zone to kill the appropriate level mobs to slowly get enough materials to make the items – or to get to the crafting level to be able to make the items. However, as you are gathering, due to the easy way you can get experience, you outlevel the item you want to make before you can make it.

So, your arguement IS pointless, since actual level is not meaningless in this regard.

Maybe I am missing something, I just don’t see why EVERY food item crafted has that bonus. It is so easy to level in this game as it is, can’t see why removing that would be so resisted. Ahh well.

in Suggestions

Posted by: MRA.4758

MRA.4758

MRA – no, it’s not choice. I have no choice in the gazillion ways I earn experience. It just happens.

Maybe then it’s no choice for you, but choice for the 2000000-x players who choose to not 100% everything and play at a more moderate speed.

Actual level is not meaningless in concerns to equipment

It is actually possible to equip gear that is a lower level than you, you know? If you are, say, level 79 in a level 35 area, and you equip only level 35 equipment, you will never notice the difference — thanks to downscaling.

So, your arguement IS pointless

I see we disagree here, so let’s call it a day.

~MRA

IGN: Peavy (Asuran Engineer)
Tyrian Intelligence Agency [TIA]
Dies for Riverside on a regular basis, since the betas

in Suggestions

roqoco.4053

@ You’re downscaled anyway to the appropriate level for the area….

No you aren’t, you are downscaled to 2 levels above the content you are doing and further your traits/skills make you a lot stronger than that.

Since the open world content is really too easy (as it now stands), you get more of a challenge a few levels below the content. Really, I think they need to return to at least the level of difficulty they had in BWE1, for instance ATM when i resource gather in lower level areas I don’t even need to stop gathering and fight off mobs since they are essentially harmless…

in Suggestions

Posted by: AuldWolf.7598

AuldWolf.7598

This isn’t WoW. The game doesn’t need to be a massive grind.

in Suggestions

Posted by: lethlora.1320

lethlora.1320

There’s too many level 80s now and I don’t feel special anymore!!!

Leveling isn’t that important in this game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kal.2376

Kal.2376

This is not a good request. Leveling speed is completely subjective. Some will feel it too slow, some will feel it too quick. Even if they removed the xp bonuses, you would still feel it too quick, and others would feel it too slow. So leave it as it is.

Now, if you feel you are getting to 80 too quickly, then a suggestion of more stuff that can be done at lvl 80 would be a better suggestion. Removing the extra +1 lvl from level scaling (so you are the same level), or allow us to replay hearts for less rewards, or other recommendations like that would benefit all players, without trying to address something as subjective as “leveling speed”.

in Suggestions

roqoco.4053

This is not a good request. Leveling speed is completely subjective. Some will feel it too slow, some will feel it too quick. Even if they removed the xp bonuses, you would still feel it too quick, and others would feel it too slow. So leave it as it is.

If levelling speed is subjective as you say then surely people should have the option of not being force fed levelling food in order to get the other bonuses on it. For instance if u want to eat some magic find food (which is a lot more convenient than having it on your armor) why does that need to be combined with an unwanted XP bonus?

in Suggestions

Tradewind.6913

I guess maybe we just don’t understand what the resistance to actually leveling is…?

in Suggestions

Kal.2376

If levelling speed is subjective as you say then surely people should have the option of not being force fed levelling food in order to get the other bonuses on it. For instance if u want to eat some magic find food (which is a lot more convenient than having it on your armor) why does that need to be combined with an unwanted XP bonus?

The other bonus (besides your “unwanted” experience bonus) is also optional. Do you think the game is so hard that the extra bonus makes or breaks a character? There is no need to use any consumables in the game. You can play it just fine without them. Heck, it might actually make the game a bit more challenging when you overlevel the content, which was another of your complaints.

It’s just the way food is designed. They decided to add that little bonus to it. Next thing you’ll want the WvW bonuses removed (one of the WvW bonuses is extra xp, and it’s % based so it can be much MORE than just a 10xp on kill).

Bonuses are just a little extra, and that food bonus is almost nothing compared to other bonuses. I really see no need to try to change something that is not really broken (broken in the sense that makes the game unplayable, or breaks balance somehow).

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Leveling up is NEVER too easy.

And once you hit 80, the game doesn’t end. You still need skill points for skills, and for mystic forge ingredients.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tyncale.1629

Tyncale.1629

Leveling up is NEVER too easy.

And once you hit 80, the game doesn’t end. You still need skill points for skills, and for mystic forge ingredients.

Yep, you may have gotten 80 levels, but now you need at least 600 more “levels” to get enough skillpoints for your Legendary weapon…..

in Suggestions

Moandero.7320

MRA – you have no idea how I or 2000000-x players play, so again – your point is moot, but since you are so interested… I enter a zone and try to experience it. Yes, the whole zone. It takes me a while, but I am glad it does as I don’t want to rush through. I guess that is not as moderate a speed as your accustomed. Ahh well.

Tradewind – I don’t have a resistance to leveling, just when it comes way too fast. For me, the leveling speed causes crafting any items for myself a waste. I can’t keep the crafting level up to make it viable vs my player level. I simply suggested this one idea because I don’t think we need an experience bonus on food, not with the numerous ways experience can be gained already. It may make no difference in the long run, to be honest, but hell it’s the suggestion part of the forum and I figured I would make one.

Kal – It’s just the way the food is designed – yea and I think it’s flawed and they should remove the exp bonus from it. Hence, this is in the Suggestions part of the forum. And I think its a good suggestion! :P

in Suggestions

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

Why? With downleveling in this game your actual level is almost meaningless. .

Uh, yeah, once you’re level 80. So it is meaningful. Level restrains accessible content.

The food bonus is ridiculous either way, it is plain silly to complain about that.

in Suggestions

roqoco.4053

Do you think the game is so hard that the extra bonus makes or breaks a character? There is no need to use any consumables in the game. You can play it just fine without them. Heck, it might actually make the game a bit more challenging when you overlevel the content, which was another of your complaints.

U completely miss the point and clearly don’t understand the OP’s issue – the game isn’t too hard it’s too easy (at least open world & events are right now) and XP bonuses overlevel u and make it even easier, particularly since as the OP says u get XP for everything. So additional XP is not welcome to some people. Try reading previous comments in the thread next time.

If cooking and food are going to be an interesting mechanism, then for those of us who aren’t trying to rush to max level, but prefer to do the content more slowly, they need to remove XP bonuses. In fact other options to slow down levelling would be good too – am already way over level on my second toon.

in Suggestions

Moandero.7320

Ooh, so MithranArkanere and Tyncale – so would it be better to ONLY have exp bonus on higher level food and not low level? I could dig that.

in Suggestions

roqoco.4053

Why? With downleveling in this game your actual level is almost meaningless. .

Uh, yeah, once you’re level 80. So it is meaningful. Level restrains accessible content.

The food bonus is ridiculous either way, it is plain silly to complain about that.

Food can give u a very large magic find bonus that stacks with armor bonuses. People use that in order to farm to get their high level armor, since you earn gold quicker that way. IMOP any mechanism that encourages farming is not a good one. No idea what they were thinking when they added this to the game.

in Suggestions

roqoco.4053

Ooh, so MithranArkanere and Tyncale – so would it be better to ONLY have exp bonus on higher level food and not low level? I could dig that.

After level 80 it’s fine to have XP on food since you can’t level any further and the XP translates into aquiring skill points faster. Not that one really needs ways to accelerate that…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sentinel VX.1392

Sentinel VX.1392

The OP definitely never heard anything of legendary/mystic forge weapon component requirement…

Sea of Sorrow since BWE.

in Suggestions

Kal.2376

Do you think the game is so hard that the extra bonus makes or breaks a character? There is no need to use any consumables in the game. You can play it just fine without them. Heck, it might actually make the game a bit more challenging when you overlevel the content, which was another of your complaints.

U completely miss the point and clearly don’t understand the OP’s issue – the game isn’t too hard it’s too easy (at least open world & events are right now) and XP bonuses overlevel u and make it even easier, particularly since as the OP says u get XP for everything. So additional XP is not welcome to some people. Try reading previous comments in the thread next time.

If cooking and food are going to be an interesting mechanism, then for those of us who aren’t trying to rush to max level, but prefer to do the content more slowly, they need to remove XP bonuses. In fact other options to slow down levelling would be good too – am already way over level on my second toon.

No, I get exactly what he’s saying, and you know what? Even if they removed the extra xp bonus, you and the OP would still think you level too fast…

So you are asking to complicate things more on something that would not make any difference on something as subjective as leveling speed.

Even if there was no extra XP bonus on the food, the OP would be here complaining that leveling is too fast…

Edit: Look, I could understand the request if food somehow increased ALL experience gain by 100%, or even 50%. That is not the case. It is barely noticeable. So changing it would not really make any difference.

(edited by Kal.2376)

in Suggestions

Eochaidh.4106

People who don’t like leveling are a ridiculously low obsessive compulsive minority that is simply not worth changing the game for. There is no disadvantage for being overleveled.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Some of us are taking our time to enjoy the game. You miss to much by rushing through it.

in Suggestions

Moandero.7320

Kal, yea I probably would think I level too fast even if they did take the exp bonus off food, but it is what it is. Do I think removing the exp bonus on food is complicating things – not even remotely. Do I think it will make a significant difference – not even remotely. It would be a minor minor thing, I was just making a suggestion and I wasn’t expecting so many to get bent out of shape over it. If it was as insignificant a bonus, it should not have.

Don’t get me wrong, I am enjoying the game, but it is an annoyance to me that I can’t keep my crafting level up enough to make my own stuff since I level so fast. So, as it is, I kinda gave up on crafting on some characters since I won’t be able to make what I craft for those characters. But then, I guess I can level my cooking skill up, lol.

Eochaidh – People like enjoying as many aspects of the game as they can. If that makes them obsessive compulsive, I hate to break it to you but they are the majority, not the minority. Good try though.

in Suggestions

Kal.2376

Kal, yea I probably would think I level too fast even if they did take the exp bonus off food, but it is what it is. Do I think removing the exp bonus on food is complicating things – not even remotely. Do I think it will make a significant difference – not even remotely. It would be a minor minor thing, I was just making a suggestion and I wasn’t expecting so many to get bent out of shape over it. If it was as insignificant a bonus, it should not have.

Don’t get me wrong, I am enjoying the game, but it is an annoyance to me that I can’t keep my crafting level up enough to make my own stuff since I level so fast. So, as it is, I kinda gave up on crafting on some characters since I won’t be able to make what I craft for those characters. But then, I guess I can level my cooking skill up, lol.

Eochaidh – People like enjoying as many aspects of the game as they can. If that makes them obsessive compulsive, I hate to break it to you but they are the majority, not the minority. Good try though.

I do get what you mean, I really do… It’s just the changing that bonus would not make a real dent in leveling speed.

Other suggestions could be an option like getting a 50% xp penalty, but increasing your influence gain by 50%. Or 50% xp penalty, and 50% karma bonus (ok, this one may mess things up). This could be in a food as well for example. A simple to make food, that lasts a long time. and cuts XP gain while increasing influence gains.

A 50% xp penalty would make a dent in leveling speed, so it may be worth persuing something in that direction.

in Suggestions

Phy.2913

Some of us are taking our time to enjoy the game. You miss to much by rushing through it.

You’re implying we can’t enjoy the game at level cap, or go back to area’s we missed before.

in Suggestions

Posted by: DonVadim.1968

DonVadim.1968

Leveling feels like its fast and easy because its actually enjoyable and fun. In reality its not that fast as you think. Level new character to max level and then type /age – you will realise how much time did you spend on that character.
Also +10% experience from kills, which are meaningless unless you keep farming crowded dynamic events in which you kill waves of enemies, so I think it would be unjustified to take it away.

in Suggestions

roqoco.4053

I do get what you mean, I really do… It’s just the changing that bonus would not make a real dent in leveling speed.

Other suggestions could be an option like getting a 50% xp penalty, but increasing your influence gain by 50%. Or 50% xp penalty, and 50% karma bonus (ok, this one may mess things up). This could be in a food as well for example. A simple to make food, that lasts a long time. and cuts XP gain while increasing influence gains.

A 50% xp penalty would make a dent in leveling speed, so it may be worth persuing something in that direction.

Now you’re talking – I’d accept an XP decrease for nothing, but a trade off between XP and something like Karma sounds like a good idea. The problem as it stands is that with XP Arenanet have taken a sort of median position between people who want to get to max level instantly and those who play more slowly exploring everything. The XP bonus on food is a small thing, but it does tilt the balance in the wrong direction. The whole angle in the game of treating XP gain as something desirable could use some more thought.

in Suggestions

roqoco.4053

You’re implying we can’t enjoy the game at level cap, or go back to area’s we missed before.

you can, but it won’t be very challenging – downscaling is a really nice idea, but its a not a complete solution to making early content a viable option, at least if u want to do something other than roll your face on the keyboard.

in Suggestions

Tradewind.6913

So don’t use the food, it’s not like 10xp per mob kill is going to affect the outcome of your leveling being drawn out unnecessarily.

People need to stop using that word, “viable.”

in Suggestions

Eochaidh.4106

@roqoco
I disagree. As a low leveled character, you don’t get to enjoy high events and dungeons that maxed characters are able to reach. I would think that low leveled characters are the limited ones in comparison.

in Suggestions

Posted by: SHM.7628

SHM.7628

Disagree. If you don’t like it then don’t use it. Why punish people who enjoy it?

in Suggestions

roqoco.4053

@ “As a low leveled character, you don’t get to enjoy high events and dungeons that maxed characters are able to reach. I would think that low leveled characters are the limited ones in comparison.”

Yes you do, but after you’ve experienced the early content at a level for which it is appropriate. Endgame begins at level 1 in GW2 – that was no idle boast, GW2 is a blast to play from the start and it’s a pity to outlevel the content before you have finished it, because then you can do everything in those zones by standing still and spamming your 1 key.

As to the guy who said “don’t use food”, well I don’t. I’ll probably just use the magic find food at level 80 (my first toon is nearly there unfortunately), where the additional XP doesn’t make you level quicker, but just results in extra skill points.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Khetnen.7231

Khetnen.7231

I like random consumables to not be useless, and the exp boost helps with that.

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaKnight.1340

NinjaKnight.1340

Disagree. If you don’t like it then don’t use it. Why punish people who enjoy it?

This ^^. Op is QQing over an optional 10%

in Suggestions

Posted by: DirtyHoudini.2917

DirtyHoudini.2917

The game scales..Why are you complaining about leveling to high when that literally doesn’t matter..it’s the biggest feature in the game

in Suggestions

Posted by: ShadowKain.9410

ShadowKain.9410

You are not a pretty and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

Now with +10 to exp when consumed.

Get over it.

in Suggestions

Phy.2913

you can, but it won’t be very challenging – downscaling is a really nice idea, but its a not a complete solution to making early content a viable option, at least if u want to do something other than roll your face on the keyboard.

Implying that some classes/traits don’t allow facerolling at level appropriate content. There are some challanging aspects of this game, killing a normal mob of the same level isn’t one of them.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dragonlord.6748

Dragonlord.6748

So the OP wants to remove the XP buffs from the food because he thinks leveling is too easy already.

If you dont like the XP bonus, then why do you not simply choose not to use the food?
Nobody is forcing you to use the foods, but to make them less useful for others just because you dont like it is never a good idea.

I honestly do not see the point with the OP here.
Using food buffs are optional, if you dont like them just dont use them, that way you dont have to worry about the bonuses.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gray Fox.4763

Gray Fox.4763

Why Punish people who do not enjoy it?