Remove waypoint cost and why it is a problem

in Suggestions

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Remove waypoint cost from every single zone, not just cities.

The huge problem with waypoint cost is that it taxes exploring instead of grinding. Which is wrong with Guild Wars 2.

But then, you’ll say “gold sink!” or “Waypoint cost is cheap!

Lets be honest, the most profitable activity is not exploring or going out into the world. It is dungeons or farming, which both are hit very low from waypoint cost. So in order to make money, you have to work long enough to make the waypoint cost miniscule. If you want to have fun by exploring, you have to have money and sometimes the cost to travel hinders the enjoyment for traveling. The money you get from Dynamic Events is so little compared to one run of any dungeon. Every dungeon, you can get around 1g. If you explore around a lower level zone, you’ll be lucky to get 20 silver at the end of the day but waypoints will eat all that money up in no time at all.

Black Lion TP is a better goldsink than waypoint. Repair cost in dungeons definitely make a good goldsink as well.

tl;dr: Don’t tax fun. Remove waypoint cost.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shathron.5790

Shathron.5790

Small note: the TP is not a gold sink since the money will still be in player circulation. A gold sink is a way to remove gold from the economy completely in order to prevent inflation. Unless your talking about posting cost but that is really miniscule.

(edited by Shathron.5790)

in Suggestions

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

Waypoints could cost karma then, more use to that purple thing, if they were to remove waypoint cost.

I took an arrow to the knee

in Suggestions

runeblade.7514

Small note: the TP is not a gold sink since the money will still be in player circulation. A gold sink is a way to remove gold from the economy completely in order to prevent inflation. Unless your talking about posting cost but that is really miniscule.

False. 15% of the money is taxed. (5% to be listed and 10% to be taken away after purchase.)

15% of a 500g precursor is 75g which is no small money. Players may try to buy large amount of crafting materials to sell for a higher price. Which will take more money out of the economy.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Isende.2607

Isende.2607

gotta love the “gimmesumthinfernuthin” crowd. they’re always screamin’, always whining “it ain’t fair!” because they just simply don’t wish to do the work. a for-instance? you do ANY amount of work toward gathering/selling, and wp costs ARE cheap, comparatively speaking. do i, when in a rush, sink 3s to traipse across the world, instantly? yup.

am i able to afford that, though not to abuse it? yup. why? because i gather, craft, sell, and in essence — earn money.

in Suggestions

runeblade.7514

gotta love the “gimmesumthinfernuthin” crowd. they’re always screamin’, always whining “it ain’t fair!” because they just simply don’t wish to do the work. a for-instance? you do ANY amount of work toward gathering/selling, and wp costs ARE cheap, comparatively speaking. do i, when in a rush, sink 3s to traipse across the world, instantly? yup.

am i able to afford that, though not to abuse it? yup. why? because i gather, craft, sell, and in essence — earn money.

Gotta love the ignorant crowd. They love to disagree for the sake of disagreeing.

If players wants to grind their way by mining nodes. Let them. Players that do wp hop around will miss mining nodes therefore gets little to no profit out of crafting materials. If players want to sell their crafting materials, they are affected by the tax in the TP.

What WP cost does affect are players that want to explore different parts of the world and that affects fun.

tl;dr: Don’t tax fun.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Moonstruck.3612

Moonstruck.3612

again. you’re asking to get something for nothing. it’s a basic, in gaming — transpo costs.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Robotukas.1673

Robotukas.1673

This transport cost is more for hardcore players. Casual player will try to save, because he doesn’t want spend so much on transport. For hardcore players it doesn’t make difference how much cost WP, because they are usually farming, staying in dungeons and PvP. But for casual player is a big difference, because it makes him hard to grow or even he doesn’t want to stay 10 min longer, because is not worth to travel to start something like events, like if someone ask help to defeat something. If you look deep from casual and hardcore players side you can find more advantages and less disadvantages if WP will be free.

in Suggestions

Posted by: KorbanDallas.7389

KorbanDallas.7389

WP costs are not a problem IMO. They scale with your level to reflect the amount of money you earn from doing things.

The entire point of doing so (AFAIK) is to prevent people from abusing the WP system in the first place. If you die, and you decide to WP instead of wait, it’s an added penalty to help instil the feeling of “maybe I shouldn’t do stupid things to get killed” (if you jump off cliffs all the time like me) and further emphasize that just because you can die doesn’t mean you should. It also in theory helps raise the chance someone is to explore an area more thoroughly. If you could hop around for free, why wouldn’t you just go straight to the WPs near profitable things and ignore all the lengthy amounts of content spread about the world?

You say that a single event doesn’t give you much – but you need to also remember most events come in chains of 2+, each rewarding you with not just end-event money/karma, but also possible loot from everything killed during its course, possible chest drops, and a large portion of experience (for those under-80 when levels still matter). They are also FAR easier then all the dungeons I have put any time into.

The only advantage to getting rid of WP cost is that half the game world wouldn’t need to exist. Of course, for those of us who actually enjoy(ed) exploring the game world and doing events while discovering all the neat little references and stories hidden there-in, that is actually a negative thing.

To put this in perspective, I’ve had 2 characters to 80, both of which topped off their crafting professions (both one armor and one weapon based), a 35 with max jeweler, and am working on 2 more characters and have YET to run into a problem where I couldn’t use a WP because I had no money without using the TP for anything but purchases. I am by no means a professional hardcore player with awesome skills – I die frequently, across all my characters (so I also incur repair fees frequently).

}——————————-{
http://avsla-gw2.blogspot.com/

in Suggestions

Posted by: xCrusadentx.2784

xCrusadentx.2784

You aren’t meant to be wping around frequently like its going out of style. Waypoint in, have fun and explore. I hate how people say it prevents exploration; you think simply teleporting around ruins exploration? I suppose running around exploring the scenery every once in a while is too much to ask for.

Royal Blood Oath:
We are sworn together by our blood…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

If they want a true gold sink they should put in an income tax. Those that have the most gold should be taxed the most.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lane.3410

Lane.3410

My biggest issue with waypoint costs is they scale too highly, IMO. More often than not the monetary prize for completing an event does not offset teleporting to participate in it, which means if it’s not within walking distance I don’t go.

Maybe if they scaled it down just a touch (or reasonably capped it) and/or increased money received from completing events you’d see more people willing to teleport and participate in otherwise ‘dead’ event areas.

in Suggestions

Posted by: soulwblood.1529

soulwblood.1529

Yeah, let’s remove all waypoints, easiest way of transportation in all mmos and use a free cart ride instead, wohoooo

/s

in Suggestions

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I wouldn’t mind a reduction in the cost, but removal? I’ll pass.

I do think it’s kind of silly that waypointing across the world map costs roughly 4s at level 80 (I’d rather have half), but waypointing 1.5s roughly to waypoint minimal distance (say you were defeated 10 feet from a waypoint…) is far worse, nigh absurd.

At the very least, reduce waypoint costs when you’re defeated, since there’s the whole armor repair money sink anyways.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Suggestions

Posted by: RiKShaw.8795

RiKShaw.8795

I think that actively exploring that area should result in WP discounts. Maybe events grant a temporary discount and completing a portion of the map provides small increments of discounts.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

If there was a Gem Store item that discounted (I’d like “removed”, but that will never happen) WP travel by 50%, I would SO be buying that.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Reverielle.3972

Reverielle.3972

It’s got nothing to do with grinding or being ignorant, or whether you’re a ‘casual’ or ‘hardcore’ player, regardless of people think.

The simple fact is if you play the game in the way Anet intended it, way-point costs are not a problem at all. Your small payment is for the convenience of being transported wherever you want to go in a split second. Read what xCrusadentx wrote about, that’s how they (way-points) should be used.

If it’s too much of a cost simply don’t use them. No one is forcing you.

in Suggestions

runeblade.7514

WP costs are not a problem IMO. They scale with your level to reflect the amount of money you earn from doing things.

Disagreed.

The entire point of doing so (AFAIK) is to prevent people from abusing the WP system in the first place. If you die, and you decide to WP instead of wait, it’s an added penalty to help instil the feeling of “maybe I shouldn’t do stupid things to get killed” (if you jump off cliffs all the time like me) and further emphasize that just because you can die doesn’t mean you should. It also in theory helps raise the chance someone is to explore an area more thoroughly.

That is what repair cost fee is there for. There is no need to tax fun just to give that feeling.

If you could hop around for free, why wouldn’t you just go straight to the WPs near profitable things and ignore all the lengthy amounts of content spread about the world?

All it does is save these farmers 3 silver. If they can profit a lot from doing this. Then let them profit. They’re hard core players. They’ll find their profit any other way. Whether or not if it is farming one specific spot, or doing dungeons over and over again or find mulitple farming spots. Better to decrease the drop rates for everything then if you don’t want hard core players.

You say that a single event doesn’t give you much – but you need to also remember most events come in chains of 2+, each rewarding you with not just end-event money/karma, but also possible loot from everything killed during its course, possible chest drops, and a large portion of experience (for those under-80 when levels still matter). They are also FAR easier then all the dungeons I have put any time into.

One dungeon boss = 14 silver. Takes just as much time or less to complete for one dynamic event. One dynamic event chain = usually about an average of 3 dynamic events. One dynamic event gives you about 1.5 silver in average in the lower level areas. So you get about 4.5 silver reward for doing all three. Except killing one boss is so much faster than doing that one dynamic event. While I was playing on my alt characters that level up solely through map completion, I gain around 50 silver and a full bags of loot each day. In one dungeon run, I gain 1 gold with full bags of loot in 15 minute.

As for difficulty, Dungeons are not hard at all. PuGs, although rumored to be bad, at this point should know what they are doing. Thus trivializes all dungeon difficulty.

The only advantage to getting rid of WP cost is that half the game world wouldn’t need to exist. Of course, for those of us who actually enjoy(ed) exploring the game world and doing events while discovering all the neat little references and stories hidden there-in, that is actually a negative thing.

False, the only advantage is that players are encouraged to go back to the world instead of grinding away in dungeons and farming. Players won’t think it is just a waste of time or a waste of money to travel. Casual players won’t have to worry about travel fees eating up all of their silver. Instead, they’ll just worry about where to go back.

in Suggestions

runeblade.7514

That is a kitten poor argument.

If I get defeated, I am forced to use waypoint whether or not I feel like it.

in Suggestions

Reverielle.3972

That is a kitten poor argument.

If I get defeated, I am forced to use waypoint whether or not I feel like it.

You don’t understand perhaps? Try and read it in context of my post (and your OP for that matter) maybe? I don’t see ‘defeat’ being mentioned there. Taking a comment out of context renders it meaningless.

People have made it perfectly clear that it is in no way a problem for anyone remotely playing the game within the sphere of how Anet intended it. If you and others want to play and use a game-mechanism in a way that was unintended, that’s perfectly fine. But then to whine, carry on and be snappy at anyone who points out the problem? You’ve made your suggestion as you’re entitled to. And we’ve made our counter suggestions to, just like we’re entitled to.

in Suggestions

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

There ain’t nothing wrong with exploring on foot.

The deterrence of exploration is completely outweighed by the effects the fees have acting as gold-sinks.
Long term economic health (an issue that spans the next 5~10 years) is more important than the momentary relief on your wallet

I do not have an issue with way point fees and I warp around Tyria a lot; anyone actively playing the game shouldn’t either. And that includes dying.

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

(edited by DreamOfACure.4382)

in Suggestions

runeblade.7514

There ain’t nothing wrong with exploring on foot.

The deterrence of exploration is completely outweighed by the effects the fees have acting as gold-sinks.
Long term economic health (an issue that spans the next 5~10 years) is more important than the momentary relief on your wallet

I do not have an issue with way point fees and I warp around Tyria a lot; anyone actively playing the game shouldn’t either. And that includes dying.

If they want to have better gold sinks. Taxing wp is not the solution.

As I pointed out again, wping to a dungeon is incredibly easy and profitable. After clearing a dungeon, I’ll profit 1.5g and it will only hits me 6 silver.

When traveling, I may have to travel a long way. I could profit around 50 silver but the amount of travelling will definitely take more than 6 silver. Removing waypoint cost has very little disadvantages but more advantages.

You aren’t meant to be wping around frequently like its going out of style. Waypoint in, have fun and explore. I hate how people say it prevents exploration; you think simply teleporting around ruins exploration? I suppose running around exploring the scenery every once in a while is too much to ask for.

Play how we want. Explore how we want! Nope!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaimick.5109

Kaimick.5109

You have made this post before well thread, not really sure why you are crying about it. Only once have I ever not had the money to use a Waypoint, that is because I was being stupid about it.
Why Way points are not an issue

• If your leveling and completing areas at your level, the completion of two hearts will cover all your cost of any way points you use in that area.
  • If your 80, doing one of the following will ensure you will never run out of money for way points or even use more than 5% of your total earnings.
    – * Dungeons
    – * Gathering
    – * Event running
    In all of those there is no possible way to spend more on Waypoints than you can make killing or doing the stuff already in the game.

You don’t have to agree with us, you don’t even have to like what; from what I can tell, 90% of us are saying to you. Although seeing as you posted this 11 hours ago and a moderator has yet to delete this topic for being a spam thread of at least 3 others you have started saying the same thing, says no one has reported you. This means we at least respect your Ideas and Opinions no matter how convoluted and mis guided we think they are. At least have enough respect back to not blast everyone that dis agrees with you.

Personally I play maybe 3 to 4 hours every day or two, I use waypoints just cause I am lazy to walk to the next one 2 inches to the north on the map. I have yet to even begin to think man I am almost out of money. The most expensive Waypoint is 5 silver from far north to far south of tyria. You can make that jump 20 times if you run ONE EXPLORATORY DUNGEON I am lazy in game now that I have multiple 80’s and I don’t use that many waypoints in one day.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

I don’t like WP costs, I don’t see why we need them.

We have a WP cost and an armour repair cost when we die.

We have a “tax” when we buy or sell anything.

The rewards for many events are abysmal.

Seems like ArenaNet will do anything to “steer” us towards buying gold from the TP.

GW1 didn’t need this sort of rubbish, it’s a game, it’s “virtual” money.

We shouldn’t have to be “encouraged” to walk through area’s we have already walked through.

People should be encouraged to travel about, help people, be social, something this game is seriousely lacking in.

Taxes, keep them for the real world, and we all love paying out taxes and VAT don’t we !

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

in Suggestions

Robotukas.1673

It’s got nothing to do with grinding or being ignorant, or whether you’re a ‘casual’ or ‘hardcore’ player, regardless of people think.

The simple fact is if you play the game in the way Anet intended it, way-point costs are not a problem at all. Your small payment is for the convenience of being transported wherever you want to go in a split second. Read what xCrusadentx wrote about, that’s how they (way-points) should be used.

I know that some players still playing game and they are don’t think about game future. When I die, why I should pay twice: For Armour fix and WP? Like in others game you use WP just for travel, but not for resurrect. When you hear in map that some player is shouting: Can some help me? So you have two thing: Pay for WP for travel to him and also back to place where you was. In this WP is event? Usually I am ignoring all message about events (except dragons), why You because it cost to go this event and come back from. And I will tell story. This first game where players have issues with WP. Isn’t strange for you. I didn’t have problem in WoW, in D&D, in L2, PoTC and many others.

Is one small advice for you and for other posters who know about MMO little. My advice go and try other games before you posting, get some experience and knowledge from gameplay, forums and dev team.

Why I should forced use WP when I dead, why WP cost 40% – 80% from event loot. Who want be helpful in game when for help you have to pay twice.

Please guys, think more about games system before you posting and why players have some issues which you don’t find in other games.

To be honest, I never thought that WP can be issues in this game, not like in other MMO games. Is bit fun that people complain, but same problem have me. Especially when you do quests in low level maps and you can’t do some events or always help for players.

I repeat again. WP have more advantages and less disadvantages when if it will be free or set price according to map level, but not character level. And also is a big bug. If I am 6 level in low level map, they I should pay for WP like for 80 lvl. I am just 6 level at the moment, but not 80.

in Suggestions

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

don’t agree with a complete removal of WP cost, but in two cases they cost way too much…

1. they should make using WP free when you are defeated, though they should limit the free ride to WPs within a certain range.
2. it’s absolutely weird to have to pay a couple of silver coins for a WP i could simply walk to in less than 10 seconds

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

in Suggestions

Posted by: Doomguard.5094

Doomguard.5094

I think you’re onto something here, sometimes paying a small fee for farther away waypoints can work, but on really small distances it can become an annoyance. I think this could really be improved a bit. Speaking from a level 80 perspective, waypoints on your current map could be free for use, for the adjacent map 1 silver, for 2 maps away 2 silver, for 5 maps away 5 silver and so on. This would be balanced out a bit so exploring your current position would be easier, but also tax you for teleporting all over the corners of the world instantly. At the moment the prices are currently set, the most cheapest prices are for the corners of the world which can be 15 maps away (cost about 4 silver) and the waypoints that are 10 meters away from you cost 1 silver making only long distance teleports a viable option.

However this might have been the way they designed it on purpose to only encourage far away teleports instead of you abusing closer waypoints for uber quick traversal.

in Suggestions

KorbanDallas.7389

@ Runeblade
You don’t need to repair your armor unless all of it is broken. If you are a character who still levels up or is otherwise not fully outfitted, this is completely irrelevant unless you die A LOT. I have managed to get my newest character to level 42 so far without using a repair vendor once. This means the ONLY fee I pay when I die is the WP fee, meaning my only punishment for dying is in fact the measly copper/silver fee I pay to hit the WP and run back for revenge.

Multiple people have no money issues with WPs. Yes, Dungeons earn you good money, but they also are a devoted task for the 30+ minutes you are in them with a group of people capped at 5 that have a general idea of what they should do. DE are open to everyone in the player threshold limit of that map, making them easier to do, while also allowing you to play however you want while you do them (and be social). Might be me nitpicking, but do compare the time of the DUNGEON to the time of the DE, as opposed to picking a single bad guy in the dungeon against the entire DE.

Let me throw out an example here, and if you would be so kind you can use it to help me understand this better, because you see very devoted and I feel I must be missing something.
-
If I want to go out to town, I use my car. I use my car, I need to pay for gas. I don’t have to drive to town, I could walk (which would be free but cost me more time). I have the choice to spend money to get somewhere faster, or to save some cash but arrive slower. You are asking the equivalent of making it free to drive my car – at which point why would I ever walk?

}——————————-{

in Suggestions

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

KorbanDallas
“If I want to go out to town, I use my car. I use my car, I need to pay for gas. I don’t have to drive to town, I could walk (which would be free but cost me more time). I have the choice to spend money to get somewhere faster, or to save some cash but arrive slower. You are asking the equivalent of making it free to drive my car – at which point why would I ever walk?”

Yeah and l pay my taxes, bus fares, fuel costs ETC ETC ETC in REAL life.

Doesn’t mean it has to be the same in a game, a virtual world and virtual money.

For me, wp costs make this game very unsocial, when we could be hopping around, helping people, helping lower levels, getting events and champs done.

It’s an uneccessary gold sink, and as we didn’t have them in GW1, I think ArenaNet have been influenced by “other” people, maybe the “money” men.

Remember they have a cash shop that sells gold, you can also by gems with gold, so l think they want to drain your cash so that you don’t buy too many gems with gold and are guided towards buying gold with real life cash.

(And no the server economy won’t explode if they were to remove wp costs).

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

(edited by Solid Gold.9310)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Isende.2607

Isende.2607

To put this in perspective, I’ve had 2 characters to 80, both of which topped off their crafting professions (both one armor and one weapon based), a 35 with max jeweler, and am working on 2 more characters and have YET to run into a problem where I couldn’t use a WP because I had no money without using the TP for anything but purchases. I am by no means a professional hardcore player with awesome skills – I die frequently, across all my characters (so I also incur repair fees frequently).

this is my playstyle, also. i’m not “hardcore,” i work, i feed my family, then i play. even with just my usual running around, i never run outta money for wp costs. i will work to avoid them sometimes (heart of the mists, anyone?) but if/when i “need” them in order to join a guildie, or catch an event, i don’t sweat the price.

as was stated above —transportation costs. it’s a bit nuts to think it shouldn’t, imho. oh, and on the “if i’m defeated i’m forced to use a wp …” argument? fallacious. the truth of the matter is, you CHOOSE to not wait for someone to come rez you. you are paying for the convenience of not having to wait.

wp costs are fine. transportation costs in game have always been an issue, there is always someone crying “waahhh! it’s not FFAAAAIIIRRRRR!!” and the rest of the community responds with alternatives for your sense of unfairness.

YOU choose to disregard any/all of our alternatives. that’s fine. you’re making these decisions, suck it up, deal with it. or go write the game that has no transpo costs in it, market it, sell it … you get the picture?

(edited by Isende.2607)

in Suggestions

KorbanDallas.7389

Yeah and l pay my taxes, bus fares, fuel costs ETC ETC ETC in REAL life.

Doesn’t mean it has to be the same in a game, a virtual world and virtual money.

For me, wp costs make this game very unsocial, when we could be hopping around, helping people, helping lower levels, getting events and champs done.

It’s an uneccessary gold sink, and as we didn’t have them in GW1, I think ArenaNet have been influenced by “other” people, maybe the “money” men.

Remember they have a cash shop that sells gold, you can also by gems with gold, so l think they want to drain your cash so that you don’t buy too many gems with gold or are tempted to by gold with real life cash.

(And no the server economy won’t explode if they were to remove wp costs).

GW1 had WP in the towns, without cost. What OP is asking for is every WP in existence to be free. As much as we like to think of them as the same, you have to remember that each of these games are not the same. If you want this to be like the original GW system, then you could teleport to Lions Arch or any starting town just fine, but have fun trying to get all the way back to Orr after going to town to sell things. What good would free travel do then?

As for the idea of “It’s not real, so we should have it free” – if that’s the case, why isn’t every single thing, from armor to mats to repairs, free? “But it’s not the same thing.” It is though, because the entire point of a cost is to make the fantasy world have more depth and give a better immersion. Some Asuran somewhere built those WPs, and you can bet those mischievous little inventors aren’t about to work for free.

Also, the only thing that makes this game social or not is the people playing it. I will run around and have a blast, follow or be followed by people, heal and revive people or whatever I may do, but rarely do I ever actually chat in-game. Why? I’m not that social, obviously. I have rarely entered a map where someone hasn’t called out event chains happening for those who want to join – and I have never once seen someone respond in map chat and go “I can’t because I’m too short on cash.”

}——————————-{

in Suggestions

Posted by: pluzoid.2597

pluzoid.2597

To reduce travel spenditures, use the button to travel to the mists (pvp window). It’s free and the portal to lions arch is just a metre in front.
At lions arch you can craft, collect from auctions, then take a portal to either of the four starter area portals.
This saves money when travelling from one side of the map to the other, but slight adds a little time to your trip.

If your short on cash, sell anything you can to black trade.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Field Marshal.7946

Field Marshal.7946

People really need to quit complaining about things in the game. I hate to tell everyone, but not everyone likes to do the same things in this game. For some, WvW is pulling teeth. They would rather do PVE. Some just love to do dungeons. Some love to just do Orr. It is what it is.

On the waypoint front. If you don’t like them, don’t use them. Simple as that. I for one put a price on my time. If that is 4 silver to go from one side of the map to Orr, then so be it. I pay for that luxury and understand the costs associated with the travel.

in Suggestions

Posted by: hooma.9642

hooma.9642

yeah but the op has right.. wp costs is against exploration or helping ppl. if i read in a map that some need help and the way is to long to travel fast per foot i dont help.. why? cause i dont want spend money to help.. if some in guild is asking for help, i dont help.. very simple. i would but im not a harcode player and dont want waste my little money. if i want sell something i travel to wvw.. if im at a dungeon entry i want make i dont travel anywhere in pve except to the mists and wvw until i has completed the dungeon.

in Suggestions

Posted by: xCrusadentx.2784

xCrusadentx.2784

Removing/Reducing costs is what really ruins exploration. Exploration means walking through the world, doing quests and events, and taking in the scenery. If you waypoint to a location for an event, then tp somewhere else for another event… Ooo, orr event up, waypoint there; thats not exploration, thats teleporting around the map for the sake of getting money, karma, etc. Learn to enjoy the game; the costs are fine, the game is not called teleport wars 2.

Royal Blood Oath:
We are sworn together by our blood…

in Suggestions

Posted by: hooma.9642

hooma.9642

right cause farming events is a good way to farming gold? funny.. another joke please

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

It was a problem before the rebalanced lower level areas.

Now it doesn’t take long to gather enough to travel by killing a few enemies.

It’ll be better if they made a few changes though:
- Traveling to any waypoint of any city should be free.
- If traveling to any non-free waypoint from the free waypoint closets to that non-free waypoint is cheaper than from your current location, the cost should be reduced to that, as you can use the PvP travel, then to the city then to that waypoint.
For example, from Queendsdale to a waypoint in Ashford should cost as much as from the easternmost waypoint in the Black Citadel to that waypoint in Ashford.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

in Suggestions

Posted by: frostflare.6390

frostflare.6390

Well, I for one agree with the sentiment’s of the opening post. Waypoint fee’s are sort of un-needed. I say this for many reasons. My biggest one is arguable the most potent point.

According to many in this thread Waypoint fee’s are negligiable: Then why do we have them? That’s like taxing someone to point a finger. Even if you only tax them 1 cent each time they do it-Thats still a waste of time and a terrible method of tax collection. Seriosly, if no one has any problem supposadly, then why do we have them? It’s serving no point becuase no one is actually being taxed alot of money. No one is loseing a lot of coin from waypoints.

Also I can rebuttle that whole “Exploration” point that people who are against waypoints like to throw around. I don’t know if they(The people who throw that argument around) realize that you have to explore to uncovere the waypoints. No really! You don’t start the game with all waypoints unlocked. So that argument is completly inert, and kitten-nine. Sorry to say it so cruely, but it is.

Waypoint Travel does not defeat exploration-SINCE I HAVE TO EXPLORE TO GET THE FREAKING WAYPOINT. Once you have explored a place once, why explore it 10 more times? You do not see the american people re-exploring west of the missisipi today. Why? We’ve been there done that-waste of time and money.

I like what people have suggested, and almost would prefer a mixutre. Getting completly rid of the fee might not be a great idea now that the economy relies on it so much(supposadly). Why not combine the ideas of some of the previous posters.

If you have completed an area, Waypointing In that area is free. That is when your already in that area, you can waypoint anywhere in that area for free.
WHen you leave the area, you are charged based on maps away(silver) with copper price based on current distance from you. Meaning that if your in queensdale and waypoint to like Arah-Thats going to cost you a pretty penny. Your going across the world. But if your in queensdale and it’s explored and you teleport to a place next to you-It’s free.

This gives people a REASON to complete zones, other then for legendaries and sake of completion. Seriosly, as is waypoints are an annoyance and I would like to see anet implement them in a better way. You know a whole game’s attitude can change when it stop’s feeling like your being whiped for doing what you find is fun. The less anet seems like Tyrant Dev’s the better. Not saying they are, but think about it-Telling people “Were going to try some new ways to go about waypointing, hopefull to make it feel a bit friendly to use”.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

Make waypoints free AFTER you have 100% completion of the zone. It can be a reward from the Tyrian Explorer’s Society. It also kills the argument that waypointing around spoils exploration, since at 100% the area is thoroughly explored.

Edit: DOH! You beat me to it, Frostflare.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

in Suggestions

Posted by: frostflare.6390

frostflare.6390

Lol-See it’s such a good idea, even hamfast had it. It was actually mentioned earlier-but I don’t know by who. it’s his idea.

But seriosly-even finding the waypoint in the first place by nature means you had to explore to find it.

in Suggestions

Robotukas.1673

@ Runeblade
You don’t need to repair your armor unless all of it is broken. If you are a character who still levels up or is otherwise not fully outfitted, this is completely irrelevant unless you die A LOT. I have managed to get my newest character to level 42 so far without using a repair vendor once. This means the ONLY fee I pay when I die is the WP fee, meaning my only punishment for dying is in fact the measly copper/silver fee I pay to hit the WP and run back for revenge.

Multiple people have no money issues with WPs. Yes, Dungeons earn you good money, but they also are a devoted task for the 30+ minutes you are in them with a group of people capped at 5 that have a general idea of what they should do. DE are open to everyone in the player threshold limit of that map, making them easier to do, while also allowing you to play however you want while you do them (and be social). Might be me nitpicking, but do compare the time of the DUNGEON to the time of the DE, as opposed to picking a single bad guy in the dungeon against the entire DE.

Let me throw out an example here, and if you would be so kind you can use it to help me understand this better, because you see very devoted and I feel I must be missing something.
-
If I want to go out to town, I use my car. I use my car, I need to pay for gas. I don’t have to drive to town, I could walk (which would be free but cost me more time). I have the choice to spend money to get somewhere faster, or to save some cash but arrive slower. You are asking the equivalent of making it free to drive my car – at which point why would I ever walk?

But when you feel very sick, do you pay for ambulance to come? Don’t compare real life with game.

in Suggestions

Reverielle.3972

I did a bit of a survey of some of the costs involved:

Example 1:
I used a waypoint from Lion’s Arch to Malchor’s Leap (Pagga’s waypoint), costing 2 s 76 c.
My character wandered around for 6 minutes, harvested, completed one event and then sold all my items to an NPC merchant, yielding 5 s 59 c.

Example 2:
I then waypointed about 100 metres north-east of my character’s position to Waste Hollows Waypoint, costing1 s 40 c.
My character wandered around for 7 minutes, harvested, came across and completed 2 events, then once again sold all my items to an NPC merchant, which yielded in total 7 s 05 c.

Example 3:
Waypointed from Malchor’s Leap to the Snowden Drifts(Snowhawk Landing), costing 2 s 23 c.
My character wandered in roughly a straight line (to mimic travelling to a specific goal/point) for 10 minutes, harvested, didn’t come across any events. Garnered loot and harvested items I sold to an NPC merchant for 3 s 28 c. This time however I made note first of how much coin I would’ve made if selling them to buyers at Black Lion Trade. It would have been 24 s 21 c.

Example 4:
Waypointed from Snowden Drifts to Wayfarer Foothills (Hero’s Moot): 1 s 67c.
Wandered again, harvesting, and completed two event my character came across. After ~8 mins I could sell all items to an NPC merchant for 3 s 35 c, or to buyers on the Black Lion Trader for 4 s 82 c.

In each case between waypointing my character around I endeavoured to play the game the way the developers intended it (e.g. not train through mobs etc). It’s not perfect but I think it clearly shows just how trivial waypoint fees are when done in this way.

in Suggestions

KorbanDallas.7389

But when you feel very sick, do you pay for ambulance to come? Don’t compare real life with game.

Yes, the ambulance actually costs money. As does the car trip to the doctor or pharmacy.

Again, I’m being told to not compare real life with a game, but again everyone that says this seems to overlook the fact that the entire reason games have some resemblance to realism is so that it can be an immersive, enjoyable, believable experience. If in the game world there is no need to pay for travel, then why is there a need to pay vendors for their services, or to pay other players for their items? Why doesn’t everyone just give you everything for free, because you are “the big kitten hero?”

I’m fine with the fact you don’t want to listen to what I’m saying – but if that’s the case, just reply with “I agree to disagree” because otherwise all I am doing is essentially “feeding a troll” (so to speak) who doesn’t want a discussion in the first place.

}——————————-{

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Actually, yes. I’ve got three bills for about $750 a piece for three ambulance rides that my family had the misfortune to need recently. The rides were to hospitals fewer than 2 miles away.

Back on topic, it’s good to have waypoint fees. Without them, I’d be using waypoints far more frequently. With them, I spend more time crossing the open world. I’m sure this is true for a lot of people, which means more toons out there populating the world and aiding in DEs as they come across them.

IMO, the problem, if there is one, is really about rewards. DEs and item drops are pretty wimpy income compared to gathering mats and running dungeons. That means when someone lets everyone know in map chat that a DE is starting or a Champ is up, often it’s not worth it to travel across the map to participate.

WP fees don’t really discourage exploration. As others have pointed out, exploration means moving through the zone on foot. If anything, WP fees are discouraging jumping over to help others, which goes against ANets goal of having a community of players who aid each other frequently. Increase rewards from Champs and DEs, and that could solve the problem.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Why doesn’t everyone just give you everything for free, because you are “the big kitten hero?”

To be honest, it does stretch things a bit when you are supposed to have saved the world and some vendor (especially one who is part of the society in which you have attained a high rank) asks you to fork over some gold for a piece of armor.

Or when you save someones farm from being burned to the ground, and afterward they charge you for an apple.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Turial.1293

Turial.1293

I did a bit of a survey of some of the costs involved:

Example 1:
I used a waypoint from Lion’s Arch to Malchor’s Leap (Pagga’s waypoint), costing 2 s 76 c.
My character wandered around for 6 minutes, harvested, completed one event and then sold all my items to an NPC merchant, yielding 5 s 59 c.

Example 2:
I then waypointed about 100 metres north-east of my character’s position to Waste Hollows Waypoint, costing1 s 40 c.
My character wandered around for 7 minutes, harvested, came across and completed 2 events, then once again sold all my items to an NPC merchant, which yielded in total 7 s 05 c.

Example 3:
Waypointed from Malchor’s Leap to the Snowden Drifts(Snowhawk Landing), costing 2 s 23 c.
My character wandered in roughly a straight line (to mimic travelling to a specific goal/point) for 10 minutes, harvested, didn’t come across any events. Garnered loot and harvested items I sold to an NPC merchant for 3 s 28 c. This time however I made note first of how much coin I would’ve made if selling them to buyers at Black Lion Trade. It would have been 24 s 21 c.

Example 4:
Waypointed from Snowden Drifts to Wayfarer Foothills (Hero’s Moot): 1 s 67c.
Wandered again, harvesting, and completed two event my character came across. After ~8 mins I could sell all items to an NPC merchant for 3 s 35 c, or to buyers on the Black Lion Trader for 4 s 82 c.

In each case between waypointing my character around I endeavoured to play the game the way the developers intended it (e.g. not train through mobs etc). It’s not perfect but I think it clearly shows just how trivial waypoint fees are when done in this way.

This should be the answer to this thread, waypoint costs are nothing compared to what you earn in the game, if you don’t want to spend gold then walk everywhere, that is the choice.

“Some of my best friends are heterosexual”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Towndrunk.9562

Towndrunk.9562

I think removing wp cost might bring more people out into the world to explore dead zones and such. Why do it now if you’re penalized for it?

in Suggestions

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

How about some middle ground? Once you are in a zone it is free to waypoint as long as your not dead. I saw someone say about doing harts then having enough coin for a zone. Good idea till you get to Orr where there are no hearts. And on my server very few players in Orr. I got there early November. And I hate the place I want to kill it with fire! Why? You ask contested waypoints. If I’m unlucky enough to die I normally have to port back to the start of the map. Then go some where else? I’m trying to finish my personal story. But I can’t as the place can be contested, so when I get a group of people to do the last step they say, oh it’s contested, I’ll go do something else then.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wesley.4590

Wesley.4590

How about some middle ground? Once you are in a zone it is free to waypoint as long as your not dead.

Then you might as well remove all WP costs, because this will be exploited by everyone (entering zone, use WP to other side of zone, leave zone, etc.).

I suggest removing WP costs from city WP’s only, because atm we all use the workaround by entering the Mists and using the Asura Gate to get to LA and if needed after that WP to the Asura Gates and use it to get to another city. That way the Mists is reserved for players actually wanting to do PvP (as it should be) and PvE players are spared extra loading screens (no need to load all the PvP stuff if you just want to go back to LA).

And it might be better to relocate the Asura Gates leading to Fort Trinity to the cities, because nobody uses them now. Atm they don’t save you anything and traveling to Orr is expensive. I only WP to Orr when I’m sure I can stay there for at least an hour. This would promote Orr, leading to less contested WP’s. Adding more WP’s doesn’t really solve the issue there, it’s just another workaround. Adding a few more Asura Gates to different corners of the world might help though. Could even add different ones to different cities to promote other cities a bit as well. And please add Asura Gate destinations on the mini and world map when hovering over them, instead of just Asura Gate. Especially annoying in Rata Sum for new players, where you are overwhelmed with Asura Gates. Would also be nice if you could see the name from a longer distance. By the time I can read the destination I’m almost already in it.

Regards

(edited by Wesley.4590)

in Suggestions

Robotukas.1673

Actually, yes. I’ve got three bills for about $750 a piece for three ambulance rides that my family had the misfortune to need recently. The rides were to hospitals fewer than 2 miles away.

Back on topic, it’s good to have waypoint fees. Without them, I’d be using waypoints far more frequently. With them, I spend more time crossing the open world. I’m sure this is true for a lot of people, which means more toons out there populating the world and aiding in DEs as they come across them.

IMO, the problem, if there is one, is really about rewards. DEs and item drops are pretty wimpy income compared to gathering mats and running dungeons. That means when someone lets everyone know in map chat that a DE is starting or a Champ is up, often it’s not worth it to travel across the map to participate.

WP fees don’t really discourage exploration. As others have pointed out, exploration means moving through the zone on foot. If anything, WP fees are discouraging jumping over to help others, which goes against ANets goal of having a community of players who aid each other frequently. Increase rewards from Champs and DEs, and that could solve the problem.

If you work illegally or self self-employed, or any is bad law in your country, so probably you pay. I am working as employer, so I pay taxes and insurance, so I don’t need to pay for this service. Does any solder pay for equipments? And they don’t pay for travel if is related with mission. So guys don’t compare real life with game. In Tyria we all are solders and we serve for Tyria.