Removing Race Restrictions on Cultural Armors

in Suggestions

Posted by: illo.5106

illo.5106

So what? Never heard before, that Humans are part of the Charr culture. Maybe they wish, but: they aren’t cool or beautiful enough.

If you start with mocking “special” features: This deep wish to belong to another culture to get their stuff reminds me of white kids who desperately want to be black to be more gangsta and be able to drop the n-bomb…

(edited by illo.5106)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

So what?

So everything

This deep wish to belong to another culture to get their stuff reminds me of white kids who desperately want to be black to be more gangsta and be able to drop the n-bomb…

If it had anything to do with wanting to belong to another culture you would be right. But it has to do with looking good, regardless of where the armor is coming from.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

in Suggestions

illo.5106

Indeed, CULTURAL armor. Specific to a CULTURE, not a race.

If it had anything to do with wanting to belong to another culture you would be right.

First you admit, it’s indeed cultural, but then that you don’t want to belong to that culture? Even better: It shouldn’t even be “culture bound”.

But it has to do with looking good, …

Say the white kids too…

Sorry, but this whole discussion is like: “Hey, I’m with the Whispers, but I want the Vigil stuff!”. – “Then f****** choose Vigil and not something else…”

Again: I like that there are differences between the races and that you have to make (very few) (careful?) decisions in this game – and no: “I’m an Asura with interest in Synergetics and I did the Whispers quests, but I want Charr and Vigil armor and do the College of Dynamics quest line!”

in Suggestions

If it had anything to do with wanting to belong to another culture you would be right.

First you admit, it’s indeed cultural, but then that you don’t want to belong to that culture? Even better: It shouldn’t even be “culture bound”.

But it has to do with looking good, …

Sorry, but this whole discussion is like: “Hey, I’m with the Whispers, but I want the Vigil stuff!”. – " Then transmute it to a white item to make it account bound! "

There, fixed it for you

~Sincerely, Scissors

in Suggestions

illo.5106

Then go on, try it with all the other stuff too.

GL HF

in Suggestions

Then go on, try it with all the other stuff too.

GL HF

If this trick becomes possible on Cultural armor one day, I certainly will

~Sincerely, Scissors

in Suggestions

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’d like other-culture-inspired armors for other races. There’s a big melting pot happening as the races band together against the dragons. Why wouldn’t there be imitations and borrowings? Plus, well, new skins, yay!

I do have to wonder how anyone but Sylvari could wear stuff they do … since it grows out of their body. But then we do have Desert Roses for all.

in Suggestions

Posted by: EroticAndHeretic.7398

EroticAndHeretic.7398

Completely Disagree!

It’s a CULTURAL armor – not the usual anybody can have it stuff. Removing this would take a “special feature” away and make the races even more interchangeable and less unique.

The feature is special alright, special as in
“Hey your son is talking to a stone!”
“Yea sorry, he’s a bit special”

Indeed, the armor represent the culture.

Otherwise defending the racial exclusivity is like saying: “I’m french? I can’t wear this yukata, it’s japanese culture”. (I do understand that people defend the uniqueness, although I don’t agree)

Similar to my roleplay, imagine someone roleplaying a human being adopted by norns. As he has grown at Hoelbrak, he have a norn culture. Yet his only possibility to wear a norn armor is the svanir one.

I know those kinds of roleplay are quite rare, but still.
We can wear the look of our ennemies whatever race they are but not of our allies.

in Suggestions

EroticAndHeretic.7398

I know I’m double posting, but I’d like to point out the fact the Grenth hood is available for everybody.
You know, something related to the human culture.

in Suggestions

Posted by: CMstorm.8679

CMstorm.8679

It’s cultural armor for a reason…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Coroner.3168

Coroner.3168

… Is a horrible idea?

Andal Myth Of East – Guardian
Northern Shiverpeaks [NA]
Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

LOL have you not been reading the forums at all? Anet just tried this and the backlash was phenomenal (and rightly so).

In my opinion, this should never happen. Yes to new armor skins, no to changing cultural armors.

That was only because they took the human light T3 armor… if they’d released all races’ cultural armors in one go, I’m sure no one would’ve complained because everyone had been treated the same. And style versatility in how you gear up your char must be a positive thing.

Anyhow – why isn’t cultural armor possible to buy across races, the cultural weapons are?

Some logic conundrum right there…

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Suggestions

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

That was only because they took the human light T3 armor… if they’d released all races’ cultural armors in one go, I’m sure no one would’ve complained because everyone had been treated the same. And style versatility in how you gear up your char must be a positive thing.

Anyhow – why isn’t cultural armor possible to buy across races, the cultural weapons are?

Some logic conundrum right there…

Souvenirs maybe? regardless, I’d bet if they made all cultural armor universal it’d still cause just as much upset for many people. Otherwise why even bother to make it cultural to begin with?

And I’m wondering if people even think charr or asuran armor would even look ‘ok’ on humans or slyvari, or vice versa. Asuran armor being too small, and charr armor having tail slots. Humans, sylvari or asuran don’t have tails… and wouldn’t even look right.

What I’m getting at is cultural armor should not be a one size fits all. Anyone can wield a weapon, that’s why they aren’t as restricted. It’d be like going to Hawaii and buying tribal weapons there, but since they’re human aswell, it doesn’t hurt to buy clothes either.

Now lets take a step into fantasy, if you were to visit a charr colony, you could buy an armor set, sure.. doesn’t mean you’d be able to wear it — one, it’d be too heavy, and just the form/shape is just too different.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

in Suggestions

EroticAndHeretic.7398

And I’m wondering if people even think charr or asuran armor would even look ‘ok’ on humans or slyvari, or vice versa. Asuran armor being too small, and charr armor having tail slots. Humans, sylvari or asuran don’t have tails… and wouldn’t even look right.

What I’m getting at is cultural armor should not be a one size fits all.

Then why Charr can wear ascalonian armor? Since when Ascalonian would make armors for their enemy?

Same goes for the Citadel of Flame armor, who has human armors.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

I don’t care what armor is available to whom. Honestly, more available armor pieces makes me have even more fun making custom mixes.

However, ANet needs to make sure that IF this happens (which I find doubtful), they break the trend of not taking the time to customize the armor sets for the Asura and Charr. Those two races, especially the Charr, get the crappy end of the stick on too many armor skins simply because the skins haven’t been adapted for body scale and shape.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Firefly.5982

Firefly.5982

My opinion: Absolutely not.

Cultural armors are expensive and exclusive for the very reason that they are cultural. That’s their whole point. Taking that away only would make everything more common and wide-spread.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Septemptus.7164

Septemptus.7164

Completely Disagree!

It’s a CULTURAL armor – not the usual anybody can have it stuff. Removing this would take a “special feature” away and make the races even more interchangeable and less unique.

The feature is special alright, special as in
“Hey your son is talking to a stone!”
“Yea sorry, he’s a bit special”

I feel so special…

Yes, I think that their should be lines of quests or whatever to make you worth of cultural armor, not race specific like they only make it in this size.

When I pay 100g for one or even 10g for one I check if they are hand made and fit perfectly.

in Suggestions

Septemptus.7164

My opinion: Absolutely not.

Cultural armors are expensive and exclusive for the very reason that they are cultural. That’s their whole point. Taking that away only would make everything more common and wide-spread.

Only the most rare items aren’t common.
I see so many guardians/warriors in T3 that I’m sure are manufactured in series…

If you want to be uncommongo for:
Molten items, some of the first added even items like Ghastly shield, Halloween backpack, maybe winters day weapons (although they look poor), Molten jetpack? Even things from Zephyrite sanctum starts to be rare.

You can see just by the fact something goes from the game for good that it will be rare and exclusive.

Items that are always in game will never be so please don’t lie to yourself.

in Suggestions

illo.5106

Then why Charr can wear ascalonian armor? Since when Ascalonian would make armors for their enemy?

Didn’t know yet, that they dug out the armor. And it’s no armor bound to a culture, it’s an armor bound to a dungeon.

Or: Why can’t I buy ascalonian armor with charr tokens? That’s so kitten unfair!

in Suggestions

Posted by: raseloc.6932

raseloc.6932

Cultural armor is race specific for a reason.
And it should stay that way.
They should add more race specific armor to give more diversity to characters
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Racial-Armor/first#post2969183

Guild – Savants[ijit]
Gate of Madness

in Suggestions

EroticAndHeretic.7398

Didn’t know yet, that they dug out the armor. And it’s no armor bound to a culture, it’s an armor bound to a dungeon.

Or: Why can’t I buy ascalonian armor with charr tokens? That’s so kitten unfair!

It’s a dungeon armor, but ascalonians hated charr. They are from human culture. Hence, Ascalonian armor are tied to human culture.
If they were dug, it means it comes from the ascalonian/charr war era. Do you really think ascalonians would make armor for their enemies? Some problem of logic, lore wise.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Brave Mallyki.1563

Brave Mallyki.1563

Imagine a female Asura or Charr running around in T3 human light or medium. Haha. You’re welcome.

Vox Invictus [VOX] – Crystal Desert
PvP Rank – 151 – Dragon
WvW Rank – 1,120 – Silver Colonel

in Suggestions

EroticAndHeretic.7398

As female asura and charr share models with males, there is no problem!

Oh, and… this. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/thumb/6/6f/User_Snograt_That%27s_just_wrong.jpg/180px-User_Snograt_That%27s_just_wrong.jpg

in Suggestions

Posted by: Brave Mallyki.1563

Brave Mallyki.1563

As the URL says. That’s just wrong.

Vox Invictus [VOX] – Crystal Desert
PvP Rank – 151 – Dragon
WvW Rank – 1,120 – Silver Colonel

in Suggestions

EroticAndHeretic.7398

Yep. But it’s wrong because it’s the male model.

in Suggestions

Septemptus.7164

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Racial-Armor/first#post2969183

Nope.

There just should be more variety for all classes and cultural armors should be available for all races. They can be gated by quests or x3 cash requirements and such but really, we all want reuse others cultural armors.

Why is it so bad for you people? You really need to fee that special?
Guess what. Special items are those that aren’t available in game and only those.

in Suggestions

Posted by: CMstorm.8679

CMstorm.8679

I think some people here don’t really understand what CULTURAL means…

in Suggestions

EroticAndHeretic.7398

I think some people here don’t really understand what CULTURAL means…

It seems to be. Let’s take a sylvari, with a body shape very similar to a human. He can’t wear the human cultural armor, despite fitting in it.

I already said that exemple, but it’s like saying “I’m french? No I can’t wear a yukata, it’s not my culture, it’s japanese”.

in Suggestions

Posted by: raseloc.6932

raseloc.6932

Nope.

There just should be more variety for all classes and cultural armors should be available for all races. They can be gated by quests or x3 cash requirements and such but really, we all want reuse others cultural armors.

Why is it so bad for you people? You really need to fee that special?
Guess what. Special items are those that aren’t available in game and only those.

Nope.
They call it “cultural armor” but it should be called ‘Racial Armor" because that’s what it is. Letting a Charr wear t3 Asura armor? no. just no.
The only possible way I can see to let other Races wear each others unique armor is to add some kind of Reputation bar, so when you do quests for other races you gain some kind of prestige with that race, and when you get up to some super high lvl you unlock their racial armor.

Wanting everyone to have all the same things with no diversity is Communism.

Guild – Savants[ijit]
Gate of Madness

in Suggestions

Wanting everyone to have all the same things with no diversity is Communism.

I want cultural armor to be available to every race, this means I’m a communist.

Sounds legit.

~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Djukka.6390

Djukka.6390

I really want this!

Sometimes people just choose their race, depending on their cultural armor!
This would give people more variety to create q unique appearance
It’s also a very nice gold sink!

I were pretty excite when the flamekissed armor came out, since it was the first cultural armor that was avaiable to everyone, but now this will be fixed but I understand the reason…

My suggestion: make more cultural pieces unlockable, for example when you finish tons of heart quests in different areas. This will make “questing” more worth.

in Suggestions

EroticAndHeretic.7398

Maybe it is wanting everyone to have access to everything, but it’s not wanting everyone to be the same. Aren’t you tired of seeing every light human or every heavy norns wearing the same armor, just because it’s t3?
Giving racials armor would improve skin diversity, even for those who just show their wealth. And I also think of people who does roleplay. Exemple: Scarlet is a sylvari, but studied in an asura college. I guess she lived a bit of time there, so she probably bought and wore asuran clothes.

in Suggestions

EroticAndHeretic.7398

Hey, look. Toymaker Tixx is absoluteley not wearing light human cultural T1 leggings and shoulders.

No, but seriously, it seems to bother no one (except me, as I’d like to see cultural armor for everyone). Maybe because theses pieces are not expensive?

Attachments: