Removing the severe RNG from precursors

in Suggestions

Posted by: kantoku.5421

kantoku.5421

When I first heard about legendary weapons, I was very excited and seeing them in action only helped to fuel that excitement. So, I happily began collecting, adventuring, and helping make Tyria a better place, one dynamic event at a time. I was careful not to grind anything, and I enjoyed every bit of it. A few months of casual playing, and I’m almost done with collecting all the gifts that I need. Which leaves…the precursor. I know this topic has been brought up a multitude of times before, but I cannot see the logic being followed here. As far as I know, Anet discourages grinding and I wouldn’t like to grind in the first place, so buying my precursor from the TP is out for me. I wouldn’t want to spend so much gold on a single item in the first place (600g+ since I last bothered checking). I have run every dungeon in the game and I’ve done every world boss almost every day (in a sense it’s a grind, but at least it’s a varied grind and it doesn’t take much time thanks to guesting and timers). No precursor. The only method left to me at this point is the mystic forge, but due to the severely low chances of getting one, I have yet to be blessed by Zomorros. Insanity is defined as many things, but let me share one of my favorite definitions: Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results. And that’s exactly what using the mystic forge for precursors is to me.
So I find myself doing well in the game, with well over 1000 hours played, and no legendary.
I know a legendary isn’t important to the game and I still do enjoy doing everything else, but having all the hard work that you put into gathering everything else ruined by one element being completely reliant on RNG doesn’t sit well with me.
There are so many things that can be easily implemented and so many good suggestions in this sub-forum that have been completely ignored.
Please, Anet. Please remove the severe RNG elements from the precursor.
Thank you.

TL;DR
The RNG elements associated with precursors is too much. Please implement any of the fixes detailed in this sub-forum or come up with an alternative method.

in Suggestions

kantoku.5421

If that really is the case, then I’d like to know who they believe legendary weapons are for: the people who go against the spirit of their game and grind their way to buying a precursor and eventually the components for the legendary gifts, the people who use exploits, or the people who got lucky and worked towards it slowly? I’d like to believe it’s the third category of people, but, if the discussions in this forum and the questions I ask in-game are anything to go by, the vast majority of people with legendaries are in the first two categories.
If they are worrying about people flooding the market with legendaries, then they have plenty of good options (like using laurels or fractal pristine relics) to time gate these things. I’m not going to repeat the suggestions here. Anyway, we’re probably never going to get an official response, and it’s sad that most of the people who want the legendaries are prevented from doing so because of the ridiculous amount of RNG involved in precursors.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Feed Me Change.6528

Feed Me Change.6528

Introduce a way to get a soulbound or account bound precursor. 10k WvW badges, 5M Karma, 500 Laurels, easy ways to implement a better way to get it that won’t change the price.

NSP>ET>SoS>BG>ET>SoS>JQ>SoS>Mag>JQ
My fun laughs at your server pride.

in Suggestions

kantoku.5421

While making it soulbound or account bound is perfectly fine, introducing a new method of getting precursors will definitely affect the prices if it’s grindable, since the demand will go down. The only suggestions I see as viable that won’t have an effect on prices and not go against the no-grind view of things, is to use the time gate currencies like laurels or pristine fractal relics (since you can only get a limited amount of them every day). Things like karma and badges can be farmed/grinded so having them part of the process is counter productive.

Edit: In any case, there have been tonnes of suggestions, and I would like to keep this thread as a suggestion to actually give them a look or some consideration.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

Pst…here is a hint, the prices on precursors SHOULD go into the toilet hard. Precursors themselves should be easy to get your hands on, consideringt he rest of the legendary requirements is already a craptonne of grinding.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Feed Me Change.6528

Feed Me Change.6528

While making it soulbound or account bound is perfectly fine, introducing a new method of getting precursors will definitely affect the prices if it’s grindable, since the demand will go down. The only suggestions I see as viable that won’t have an effect on prices and not go against the no-grind view of things, is to use the time gate currencies like laurels or pristine fractal relics (since you can only get a limited amount of them every day). Things like karma and badges can be farmed/grinded so having them part of the process is counter productive.

Edit: In any case, there have been tonnes of suggestions, and I would like to keep this thread as a suggestion to actually give them a look or some consideration.

If you introduce more than 1 way to get a precursor, people can pick.. buy one or grind. I said 10k badges because THAT’S A LOT. I WvW 99% of my time in game, I have 4500 badges saved up SINCE DECEMBER (spent ~800). All except the last month spend in T1 NA (SoS/BG).

I don’t think it is counter-productive, people grind for everything. Either you grind for the cash for the precursor, or you grind for the gold to buy the mats for the Mystic Forge. The only method currently available to get a precursor is grind so adding another grind method just adds on a equally difficult way to get one. The issue people are having is that there is only 2 ways to get them, RNG or Gold. We want options, I don’t care if I have to grind 10M karma or 10k badges, I just want another option to get one than CoF P1/Orr farming.

Granted you could just blow 200$ in gems and buy one but that defeats the purpose

NSP>ET>SoS>BG>ET>SoS>JQ>SoS>Mag>JQ
My fun laughs at your server pride.

in Suggestions

kantoku.5421

Pst…here is a hint, the prices on precursors SHOULD go into the toilet hard. Precursors themselves should be easy to get your hands on, consideringt he rest of the legendary requirements is already a craptonne of grinding.

I don’t quite agree with you. The rest of the requirements don’t have to be a grind. If you take it easy and slowly build your way up, you will eventually get there. By playing the game the way it was meant to be played. However, the same cannot be said about the precursors. Due to the horrible RNG, you may never see one no matter how long you play. The only way to get one reliably at the moment is to grind for the gold. True, there is RNG with the T6 mats and the lodestones, but at a tolerable level. I get plenty of them when I play fractals or run the dungeon that has them in their chests. They are relatively easy to obtain over a long period of regular play. The same simply does not apply to precursors. Especially if you’re after a particular legendary.

Edit: By regular I mean normal.

(edited by kantoku.5421)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Redbear.5910

Redbear.5910

I don’t quite agree with you. The rest of the requirements don’t have to be a grind. If you take it easy and slowly build your way up, you will eventually get there. By playing the game the way it was meant to be played. However, the same cannot be said about the precursors. Due to the horrible RNG, you may never see one no matter how long you play. The only way to get one reliably at the moment is to grind for the gold. True, there is RNG with the T6 mats and the lodestones, but at a tolerable level. I get plenty of them when I play fractals or run the dungeon that has them in their chests. They are relatively easy to obtain over a long period of regular play. The same simply does not apply to precursors. Especially if you’re after a particular legendary.

Edit: By regular I mean normal.

RNG just defeats this game.
All the other mats are pretty easy to get.
The precursor is the hardest thing to get.
Unless your handy to get gold with flipping items and get Lucky on their drops. again RNG is not the way if you think otherwise you are just another fanboy to see this isnt working for this game in the long run.

in Suggestions

kantoku.5421

I just don’t think people are quite grasping the concept that ANET said from day 1 “legendaries are not for everyone” this basically means that precursors will be very rare with only a handful in the world at any one time. Basically they didn’t intend for everyone to be wandering around with one and as it currently stands, that is most certainly the case.

I’m working on the bifrost, so I totally understand your annoyance and I would like the precursors to be more common, but that is only because I want one… I’d be pretty kitten if I worked my kitten off to get the legendary, only to find that pretty much everyone else has one. That’s the beauty of them, they are hard to get, so everyone wants one.

I don’t see anyone crying about not being able to loot “delusion” staff skin, even though there are very few drops of them… Why? Because its not a legendary weapon! Sorry to get in ya face but the only reason we want one is because we can’t have one… If we could all get them easily then we probably wouldn’t care and wouldn’t bother due to the gift requirements… But then I guess we would all moan about those instead.

Having said all of that, the one thing ANET need to remove are the achievements for obtaining a legendary, if we aren’t all meant to have one, then why have we all got the achievement on the character select screen. They need to get rid of that as it gives players an unfair advantage on the leader boards!

I’m not sure what your motivation for getting the legendary weapons is, but mine is that I like the skin, I think it’s neat, and it would be a personal achievement. Certainly gathering the materials and gold needed for the gifts is not for everyone. Under normal circumstances, they require quite a lot of time to get. But it is entirely possible to do so. I have not paid a single piece of copper for the materials I have gathered. The major gold spending will happen with the runestones, and I’m fine with that. I already have the gold I need for that, and I did not have to grind for it. It’s perfectly attainable if you mind your spending. The precursor on the other is completely unreasonable. To have to spend that much gold on something that you can’t get any other way is just wrong.
If what you’re saying is that it wasn’t meant for everyone, I’d like to know who exactly they meant them to be for; this is knowing that they pride themselves on making a game where grinds are not supposed to happen.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I would personally like to see the 250 tier 6 made to 50 tier 6 the 100gold for icy runestones made to 50 gold the 100+ lodestones to 50 lodestones…etc

The other day i was going to make Cragstone and realized there isn’t enough lodestones in game to even make this weapon, even if i had the gold (which i don’t) to buy the required lodestones to make the shield, there isn’t enough even existing on the trading post to buy them…there wasn’t even enough cores on the TP to make the lodestones…

The nerfing has become too much while the game has become pointless to get stuff..

(edited by Dante.1508)

in Suggestions

kantoku.5421

I would personally like to see the 250 tier 6 made to 50 tier 6 the 100gold for icy runestones made to 50 gold the 100+ lodestones to 50 lodestones…etc

The other day i was going to make Cragstone and realized there isn’t enough lodestones in game to even make this weapon, even if i had the gold (which i don’t) to buy the required lodestones to make the shield, there isn’t enough even existing on the trading post to buy them…there wasn’t even enough cores on the TP to make the lodestones…

The nerfing has become too much while the game has become pointless to get stuff..

This is a completely different issue. While that item requires a lot of the lodestones, you can eventually make progress towards it by running fractals, TA exp, etc. Between cores and lodestones, I actually have about 40 of them already, and I wasn’t even doing TA or trying to get them from elementals. Eventually, you are guaranteed to be making some progress towards your goal. Sure, it’s slow, but it’s definitely doable. You just have to give it enough time, and work towards it slowly, as I’m sure that was their intention.
The precursors on the other hand are completely unreasonable in my opinion. You are forced to grind towards it simply because there is no alternative method, and I believe that that goes against the spirit of the game.