Replacing All Dugeon Tokens with Laurels

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dseaver.8740

Dseaver.8740

Have the devs considered completely removing all dungeon tokens from the game and replacing them with Laurels?

- Each dungeon path grants 1 Laurel per day (story mode included).

- All dungeon gear requires 1 or 2 laurel to purchase.

This change might lead to significant population decrease in WvW, since it highly encourages dungeon runs.

*Note that running the same path the same day will not give additional laurel.

in Suggestions

Posted by: drwookie.6391

drwookie.6391

Have the devs considered completely removing all dungeon tokens from the game and replacing them with Laurels?

This change might lead to significant population decrease in WvW, since it highly encourages dungeon runs. Note that running the same path the same day will not give additional laurel.

Don’t worry about WvW. The game already highly encourages people to do things other than WvW.

It’s a decent suggestion. As it stands there are WAY too many currency items. Laurels, fractal whatevers, each dungeon’s tokens, guild mission credits, badges, karma, gold. It’s getting a little crazy.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tenicord.9803

Tenicord.9803

Sorry I don’t like that idea. I shouldn’t be able to get an armor set from a dungeon I never ran.

“Our Time Is Now”
Waylon- lvl 80 Guardian
Trism – lvl 80 Engineer

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pandabro.8743

Pandabro.8743

I like this change, simply because there is a daunting amount of currency in this game. It’s ridiculously hard to figure out and memorize what all these difference currencies can give me and how many I need for the item I want.

This game is in desperate need of currency consolidation. Ideally I’d like there to be two types of currency: Gold & Collectible tokens (achieved through dungeons, dailies, monthlies, ect).

But I realize that’s probably not going to happen so I’ll just support any sort of currency consolidation that may be possible.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

Yeah let me just run cof p1 everyday and then I can buy Arah gear!

No. Earn your dungeon gear by doing that dungeon. I don’t see why everyone has a problem with multiple currencies.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

in Suggestions

Pandabro.8743

Sorry I don’t like that idea. I shouldn’t be able to get an armor set from a dungeon I never ran.

Why not? This line of reasoning usually associated with the fear of losing prestige or ego through some sense of accomplishment.

in Suggestions

Pandabro.8743

No. Earn your dungeon gear by doing that dungeon. I don’t see why everyone has a problem with multiple currencies.

There’s a problem because it’s an unnecessarily complex system.

If Arah gear is better than CoF gear then it should naturally be more expensive right? If I want a certain type of gear but hate that particular dungeon why should I be forced to run it? Why can’t I run a dungeon that I actually enjoy doing?

in Suggestions

Jrunyon.3012

Why not? This line of reasoning usually associated with the fear of losing prestige or ego through some sense of accomplishment.

Maybe because some dungeons take 10 mins while others take an hour? Sorry, but this is an MMO, there has to be prestige and accomplishment or there just isn’t any point. To convince yourself otherwise.. well, you might as well go play a single player game.

Nesmee – Thief

in Suggestions

Jrunyon.3012

If Arah gear is better than CoF gear then it should naturally be more expensive right? If I want a certain type of gear but hate that particular dungeon why should I be forced to run it? Why can’t I run a dungeon that I actually enjoy doing?

Forced.. I love that word. When are you forced to acquire a cosmetic skin? And you can run a dungeon because you enjoy doing it, that’s encouraged actually.
It seems we are stuck in our own way of thinking so I won’t argue with you.

Nesmee – Thief

in Suggestions

Pandabro.8743

Maybe because some dungeons take 10 mins while others take an hour? Sorry, but this is an MMO, there has to be prestige and accomplishment or there just isn’t any point. To convince yourself otherwise.. well, you might as well go play a single player game.

So reward more or less depending on the difficulty of the dungeon? Developers should be able to determine what dungeons will take more time than others and adjust accordingly.

People will always min/max the system to get the best reward but that can be ironed out with balance.

in Suggestions

Posted by: CorruptedSave.2570

CorruptedSave.2570

I have no issues with the current currency system. There is nothing complex or difficult to it. Every currency is linked to a specific part of the game and it is very easy to keep track that way.

I will say that if they keep adding different currencies, it may get to a point that is overwhelming for newer players.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

This change might lead to significant population decrease in WvW, since it highly encourages dungeon runs. Note that running the same path the same day will not give additional laurel.

Don’t worry about WvW. The game already highly encourages people to do things other than WvW.

It’s a decent suggestion. As it stands there are WAY too many currency items. Laurels, fractal whatevers, each dungeon’s tokens, guild mission credits, badges, karma, gold. It’s getting a little crazy.

I’m sure there’s room for more! Since they seem to not want us to be ready to buy anything new with existing currency, we can farm thackeray approval notes for ascended helms, Queen’s permission slips for gloves, Mystic toasters for legs…

Soon there’s going to need to be an extra page on the inventory sheet just listing your progress on all the currencies.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zades.4561

Zades.4561

No. Each dungeon should have their own currency. You should not be able to farm CoF at 20tokens/10minutse an go off and buy Arah gear, since each Arah path takes on average 30minutes to 1hour to run (and I personally love Arah). As for why? Well what’s the point of doing dungeons in the fist place?

You either do it for:
Achievements
Tokens for gear and recipes (mostly for skins)
Challenge

What would happen if suddenly ANY dungeon tokens can be used to buy armor skins from ANY other dungeon? Very few people would run dungeons other than CoF since CoF’s completion time is just so fast compared to everything else.

Not to mention one of the main reasons to run a particular dungeon is for the skin. This destroys that. And don’t pull your “I don’t like Arah so I shouldn’t have to run it”. If you don’t like something than don’t run it. Go back to your CoF. Of course that means you are not getting the rewards for Arah.

You are not blocked for anything (stats are the same), the only thing you cannot get is the skin, but the skin is one of those things in this game where it’s actually optional. You don’t need it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

lolwut… yeah & it gives you a pony. make the prices even REMOTELY realistic. You think getting an exotic piece of armor is worth 1 daily? I sure as hell wouldn’t trade my armor for a few laurels.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dseaver.8740

Dseaver.8740

The February 26th patch destroyed this doctrine in a way. Please allow me to explain.

The ascended gear has a feature specifically designed for a relatively new dungeon called the Fractals of Mists. I am talking about the Infusion slot.
However, a player can achieve these ascended gear without ever having to leave Queensdale.

Some of the current “the best in slot” items can be obtained without ever setting foot inside an instance.

If people actually welcome challenges and run harder instances such as Ruined City of Arah explore modes, then this new change will not affect them.

So many players do Arah runs, because they have to.
“Work” in real life shares a similar philosophy I believe.

I’m sure the devs will come up with appropriate laurel requirements for dungeon gear if they ever implement the change, I have faith in them.

CoF path 1 can be finished in minutes, isn’t that a good thing for casuals?
Hardcore gamers will begin running other paths and instances to earn maximum amount of Laurels per day. Giving them opportunities to run something other than CoF path 1 farm sounds wonderful to me.

(edited by Dseaver.8740)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Xaaz.8472

Xaaz.8472

Why not? Fractal rings were put on the daily laurel vendor.

Not that I agree with the original post, I just wanted to point out what you said has already been done.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Xaaz.8472

Xaaz.8472

There is no prestige in this game, get off your high horse. Nothing at all is “hard” to get. It’s luck, and yes, I have my legendary so you can throw that response out the window.

I’ve got Arah look mixed with CoF look. I could care less if someone bought Arah gear without ever running it. Lose the kitten, people aren’t gawking at your gear talking about how cool you look or how amazing of a player you are when you stand there and pretend to be afk.

(edited by Xaaz.8472)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Beorn Saxon.4762

Beorn Saxon.4762

This is silly. No this should not happen. Why? Because then only the easiest dungeon would get ran. No one would venture out and run other stuff. Anet might as well scrap 7 of 8 dungeons and just delete them from the game.

Maybe there are to many currencies now, but this is certainly not the answer.

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

(edited by Beorn Saxon.4762)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nurse.1085

Nurse.1085

Uh, why not keep the dungeon tokens and instead reward 1 Laurel for every path completed (AS A DAILY so it can’t be farmed like cof p1) in addition to the dungeon tokens and increase the Laurel cost in the vendor to match according to the influx of Laurels. (Example: Instead of 30 laurels, it’d cost 80 or something because you can do dailies and dungeon paths for them. 3 Laurels per a full 3 path dungeon run a day will add up depending on how many dungeons you do). It’d still take “longer” to get but it’d still be faster than 30 days.

It would get people out of Fractals and more into Dungeons too.

They could also be a reward for completing certain achievements or by completing certain hard-to-do rare bosses like Taidha Covington (once a day of course).

Hmph. Just brainstorming, not like it matters!

in Suggestions

Beorn Saxon.4762

Ascended gear is to blame for the increase in currencies. Instead of adding ascended gear to PvE drop loot tables, they decided to introduce new currencies to buy them with.

Dungeons are fine, leave them alone.

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nurse.1085

Nurse.1085

Then you’re going to be sad in March when they revamp all the Dungeons like they did with AC!

in Suggestions

Beorn Saxon.4762

Then you’re going to be sad in March when they revamp all the Dungeons like they did with AC!

As far as this threads topic = currency. Stay focused.

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

in Suggestions

Beorn Saxon.4762

If ANYTHING, add ascended versions of dungeon armor, available for more tokens as a third tab to that dungeon vendor. Rare > exotic > ascended.

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

in Suggestions

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

just no hate this idea leave dungeons tokens the way they are.

in Suggestions

Posted by: stobie.2134

stobie.2134

Wow. The “prestige” nonsense is what they were trying to get away from. If this game just has your wow-recycled mentality, it really isn’t the game for me. Or for a lot of people, who hoped this really was a new, different mmo. Just because a big, Disney-fied mmo has done things a certain way does not mean they define the very nature of an mmo. An mmo doesn’t have to appeal to a really sorry level of ego gratification through gear. Just, no.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ricky Da Man.5064

Ricky Da Man.5064

They should just give you a choice of reward when you complete all 3 paths once a day, so you complete all 3 paths of cof then you get the same list the vendor has now and you can choose one reward, once you finish all 3 paths though then you dont get any more rewards until at least the next day to prevent over farming the gear, you still get all other rewards it just eliminates the currency.

Ofcourse the actual vendors would have to go.

in Suggestions

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

No…

The dungeon tokens are set up to give players a feeling of accomplishment in that they can have confidence that the exotics they get were obtained from one set of content only.

Laurels are problematic in that they’ve changed achievements from being a visual reward to something of economic value. Items, Mats, etc..
I don’t want them spread in uses. Having the psychological pull to do dailies sucks enough.

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

(edited by DreamOfACure.4382)

in Suggestions

Posted by: CorruptedSave.2570

CorruptedSave.2570

And if this were even considered, I would expect Story Mode to start granting Laurels.

I want Laurels for just standing in Lion’s Arch doing nothing.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

No, overlapping the daily/monthly reward system with that of the dungeon system doesn’t sound like a very good idea.

I do think that heaping dungeon tokens and then having more and more added into the game with more dungeons is also not a very healthy way of going about our business. I’d prefer a simplified system of the way dungeon tokens currently function, one a bit more practical and economical in the limited space we have available.

What I’d like to see is a universal token system. Where you can them convert your blank tokens into specific tokens and then receive your gear. Why limit dungeon runners to run a single dungeon for a set, when they can have the option to play dungeons as they like.

What I’d also like to see is cross sets, where a piece of gear cost tokens from two different varieties, like say HotW and SE, and then have those items themed around both dungeons combined.

(edited by Azjenco.9425)

in Suggestions

Ricky Da Man.5064

No, overlapping the daily/monthly reward system with that of the dungeon system doesn’t sound like a very good idea.

I do think that heaping dungeon tokens and then having more and more added into the game with more dungeons is also not a very healthy system. I’d prefer a simplified system of the current dungeon tokens, one a bit more practical and space saving.

Which is exactly what I proposed.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

If people were able to get more than one laurel a day they might realise ArenaNet is currently calendar gating them and there isn’t that much content in GW2, only artificial ways to stretch it out to keep you playing as long as possible (something Colin seemed to think ArenaNet wouldn’t do).

in Suggestions

Ricky Da Man.5064

What I’d like to see is a universal token system. Where you can them convert your blank tokens into specific tokens and then receive your gear. Why limit dungeon runners to run a single dungeon for a set, when they can have the option to play dungeons as they like.

What I’d also like to see is cross sets, where a piece of gear cost tokens from two different varieties, like say HotW and SE, and then have those items themed around both dungeons combined.

Firstly some dungeon sets are far better skins, normally the harder dungeons, if you want better skins play harder content.

Secondly so you want less currency and now less content?

in Suggestions

Azjenco.9425

Firstly some dungeon sets are far better skins, normally the harder dungeons, if you want better skins play harder content.

Secondly so you want less currency and now less content?

Less content? Can’t see that I suggested they remove dungeons or paths, so no, I did not say I want less content. Rather, I think all content should be raised on par, and have players play whatever they want and get rewarded for it. In fact, there are eight dungeons, so we have eight dungeons sets.

I think a universal system will have more options to add more sets without any hassle. For instance, there can be fifteen sets and you play the dungeons you want and choose the items you desire.

Also, saying some items are better than others is a completely subjective view. I’ve seen players run with dungeon items that I find hideous and frankly, as sought after as the Arah gear are, I find them ugly as well. But obviously that’s my personal view.

So saying the better skins are hidden beyond the more challenging content is a bit of a moot point. Case in point, CoF, everyone run CoF gear like mad, and one can clear P1 in about ten minutes and P2 in less than twenty.

in Suggestions

Beorn Saxon.4762

Less content? Can’t see that I suggested they remove dungeons or paths, so no, I did not say I want less content.

I’ve already answered this: one dungeon currency will mean ppl will ONLY run the easiest ones. Anet might as well delete the other 7 dungeon, bc they will NEVER get run again. So asking for one dungeon currency will inherently limit the content because hard path’s won’t be viable.

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

(edited by Beorn Saxon.4762)

in Suggestions

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

No, what they need to do with dungeon tokens is what people thought they were going to do: implement it so that one run of an explorable dungeon nets you one token, which you can exchange for any one piece of dungeon gear.

Then, instead of grinding a dungeon 23 times for a full set, you need only run it six times. That’s far more manageable, reduces the game’s grind, and encourages players to try dungeons now that the entry bar has been lowered significantly.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

in Suggestions

Ricky Da Man.5064

Its like saying primevil armor in gw should be a reward item for prophercies even if you didnt complete nightfall.

I want TA armor badly, I like its looks on my sylvari, so I will do TA to get it, I dont expect to spam cof p1 and get it that way, thats cheap and not a good way to earn things.

Its an achievment factor too, Yor wearing all Arah gear, it shows you have been there and done it. its a trophy if you like for that dungeon.

So you want the Arah trophy for completing cof? I want a legendary for completing my daily then….

My suggestion removes dungeon token currency while keeping the armor sets relevant to that dungeon.
And everyone is wearing cof gear because its the only dungeon they do, minus the zerker warriors who like its stats.

(edited by Ricky Da Man.5064)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Darxio.5672

Darxio.5672

I don’t mind the multiple currencies, but I hate the currencies that take up inventory space.

Make it so it doesn’t take up inventory space and you can make as many currencies as you want, Anet.

Brigade of the Black Twilight [BBT]
Darxio – Thief Commander

in Suggestions

Azjenco.9425

I don’t mind the multiple currencies, but I hate the currencies that take up inventory space.

Make it so it doesn’t take up inventory space and you can make as many currencies as you want, Anet.

Well, if you right click any dungeon token, there will be an option to move them to your collectables storage space. Although it’s greyed out, this option has been there since December. Why it hasn’t been implemented yet is a complete mystery.

This would already be a huge improvement to the space problem and IMO trumps my universal token idea by miles.

(edited by Azjenco.9425)

in Suggestions

Ricky Da Man.5064

Well, if you right click any dungeon token, there will be an option to move them to your collectables storage space. Although it’s greyed out, this option has been there since December. Why it hasn’t been implemented yet is a complete mystery.

This would already be a huge improvement to the space problem and IMO trumps my universal token idea by miles.

This I agree with.
Except once you have more than a stack, then back to square one.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I’m not sure about the dungeon token unification (though i do agree that new currencies are already getting out of hand). Not sure how to solve this.
However, i do agree with two other suggestions from this topic:
1. change the tokens into a currency, so it doesn’t take inventory space.
2. add laurels as additional rewards for daily dungeon completion. you can make it one per all paths, if you think one per patch is too much. Also add laurels to daily fractal chests.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Suggestions

Ricky Da Man.5064

I’m not sure about the dungeon token unification (though i do agree that new currencies are already getting out of hand). Not sure how to solve this.
However, i do agree with two other suggestions from this topic:
1. change the tokens into a currency, so it doesn’t take inventory space.
2. add laurels as additional rewards for daily dungeon completion. you can make it one per all paths, if you think one per patch is too much. Also add laurels to daily fractal chests.

Im starting to wander if this thread is less about less currency and more about easier ascended items…

in Suggestions

Posted by: LFk.1408

LFk.1408

I don’t like the idea, but I do agree with one thing: this game does have an incredibly large variety of currency.

To the original idea: I hate it. I don’t like being able to get Arah gear for CoF runs. That is simply a horrible idea, as the easiest dungeons will get flooded with speedruns (more so than they already are), and the most difficult will never get any play at all.

I wonder if just some streamlining would help. Because the Dungeon tokens are an item, people think of it as more of a currency. If they were replaced, however, by a reputation bar reminiscent of Guild Wars 1, that might help perception and open the door to offer more of a dynamic system within dungeons (there’s more you can do with various reputations and relationships in terms of incorporation into the game as a whole, than with a chip currency)

in Suggestions

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

just give us 1000 item stack slots in “Materials” storage for dungeon tokens….

Solves a ton of issues

in Suggestions

Azjenco.9425

just give us 1000 item stack slots in “Materials” storage for dungeon tokens….

Solves a ton of issues

This will definitely work, and will solve the limited 250 stack space as well.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

no. dungeon tokens must be unique.

make dungeon tokens into currency like laurels that does not take up inventory space then we are good to go.

in Suggestions

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Dungeon tokens should be more transparent in that 1 token leads to 1 piece of equipment, every path dropping a single token a day for that dungeon. That way we won’t end up with stacks of AC/COF tokens but merely a handful per dungeon with no math necessary.

All currencies have a purpose currently and I do feel that having several is good too. It is getting out of hand if every patch introduces new currencies instead of making use of the existing ones.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Suggestions

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Dungeon tokens should be more transparent in that 1 token leads to 1 piece of equipment, every path dropping a single token a day for that dungeon. That way we won’t end up with stacks of AC/COF tokens but merely a handful per dungeon with no math necessary.

All currencies have a purpose currently and I do feel that having several is good too. It is getting out of hand if every patch introduces new currencies instead of making use of the existing ones.

this is because anet wants us to buy more bank slots / bag slots.

in Suggestions

Posted by: rocksullivan.1039

rocksullivan.1039

Make dungeon skins drop inside dungeon from bosses. Remove all extra currencies except karma, adjust price so laurel items are the most expensive. This would be good because some ppl. like me, tend to be able to play little sometimes more other times. And it doesnt matter if that would award those who live ingame for hours every single day a bit more. Thats actually very ok since time spent farming should be awarded, no need for all to aquire everything at similar speed, just being able to is nice. And, btw, dungeon drops should perhaps be sellable, let dungeon farmers earn some money, and im no dungeon farmer myself but i think that might be a good thing.

in Suggestions

Posted by: zityz.6089

zityz.6089

I would say remove all types of currency’s needed for that dungeon. Instead, have a specific item drop from the end boss chest in each dungeon. Make it a chance instead of a garentee. This way when and If you get said item you can exchange it for any type of item piece you want. Each dungeon would have its own specific item needed to acquire in order to grab it.

This way it will make running the dungeons still doable for the chance to get that item. When you DO get that item you can spend it on any weapon/armour for that specific dungeon.

This removes currencies, keeps the excitement for a chance to get it from a chest at the end, and lets people still do whatever dungeon they want for that specific gear, armour piece.

Only things that should have a currency is Tier Culture Armour, Karma Armour and Laurels.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

Pretty much this.