[Request] - Abolish Level Scaling

in Suggestions

Posted by: Moroch.2741

Moroch.2741

I love GW2… I really really do, and I do believe its unique classes and interface really set it apart from all others in the genre… however one thing that is bugging me and really souring my experience is the level scaling when out in the field. I get that it means 80s can join in with 35s and that’s very sweet and everything, but really what is the point then? When I am spending time and effort and enthusiasm on gearing and leveling my character I kind of expect to see a return… as in I can smash an Etine seven levels below me in the face and he’s going to feel it… Not the case in Guild Wars.
I love the whole bringing people together idea but I don’t think I am alone in feeling that being nearly owned by a bunch of level 3 bandits when you are level 17 makes any kind of sense. For the record that didn’t happen, however I do feel that my level being scaled is like being promised s**x and then the person passing out drunk… anticlimactic.
The thoughts on this may be mixed, and so perhaps an alternative server where level scaling is not an implemented function would be best? That means everyone can enjoy the game the way they want to? Ideas?

EDIT: Another thing that bugs me about the level scaling is, your required XP for the next level isn’t scaled with you.

Khloriael
A Mesmer of Darkhaven

(edited by Moroch.2741)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

i like the way it is. and btw i noticed a huge difference from being lv 10 and being lv 80 scaled to 10.
i don’t want to oneshot things around the world and i don’t like the idea of people oneshotting things in low level areas where new players or new characters are adventuring. it would be the first step toward griefing.
and there is already some subtle stuff out there!

the system as it is it’s fine, i can still risk being downed and make more sense to me than u bunch of mobs running mindlessly into suicide when they meet me in low level area just because they are programmed to do so, or ignoring me because i’m too a big threat for them.

for a true feeling of overkills there are still the bunnies all around the world

edit: some spelling

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

in Suggestions

Posted by: Taril.8619

Taril.8619

The current system is fine:

Being higher level means you have more traits, better gear, more utilities (Both more utility slots (3rd one at level 20) and more skill points to unlock more skills)

Sure the gear gets somewhat scaled down with you but it still doesn’t stop my level 20 characters killing level 14-15 things in 2-3 hits while scaled down, nor does it stop my level 80 characters literally one shotting things up to level 40ish.

As far as experience needed to level not scaling? Well the fact that exp gained scales based upon you actual level (Along with zone level based scaling) means that I can go to complete a level 1-15 zone on a level 80 character and still get 1-3 levels.

Oh, and removing level scaling is unlikely to happen as it’s supposed to make map completion somewhat challenging rather than a “I can run past everything since it’s all way low level and won’t attack me”

“Pull the trigger, move out ahead,
There’s two kinds of people… The quick and the dead”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Clarity.7281

Clarity.7281

I love GW2… I really really do, and I do believe its unique classes and interface really set it apart from all others in the genre… however one thing that is bugging me and really souring my experience is the level scaling when out in the field. I get that it means 80s can join in with 35s and that’s very sweet and everything, but really what is the point then? When I am spending time and effort and enthusiasm on gearing and leveling my character I kind of expect to see a return… as in I can smash an Etine seven levels below me in the face and he’s going to feel it… Not the case in Guild Wars.
I love the whole bringing people together idea but I don’t think I am alone in feeling that being nearly owned by a bunch of level 3 bandits when you are level 17 makes any kind of sense. For the record that didn’t happen, however I do feel that my level being scaled is like being promised s**x and then the person passing out drunk… anticlimactic.
The thoughts on this may be mixed, and so perhaps an alternative server where level scaling is not an implemented function would be best? That means everyone can enjoy the game the way they want to? Ideas?

EDIT: Another thing that bugs me about the level scaling is, your required XP for the next level isn’t scaled with you.

Why Should your XP be scaled with you? this sounds like an exploit in the making. Suddenly level 80 from one zone!

level scaling is a main feature of the game, unfortunately for you its here to stay.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Doomguard.5094

Doomguard.5094

Level scaling is the best thing in GW2, and they won’t ever remove it because it’s a core concept, if you’re just playing to get stronger, then you’re doing it wrong. And also having full rare or exotic items when you downscale makes you much much stronger than when you were there at that lower lever playing anyway. Levels aren’t meant to make you stronger by default, in GW levels are here to open up more ways to customize your builds and play styles, not so you can have xxxxxx more strength than your enemies. The worst part of every mmo is the fact that you can simply outlevel more than half of the game and then simply always ignore it, being able to kill anything in just one shot just because you played for a long time is plain stupid and boring.

in Suggestions

Posted by: DropTrigger.5217

DropTrigger.5217

Nope, I totally agree with removing it. Why even have levels? They’re irrelevant now.

At the least they could make an option to disable it. Playing with it disabled would mean no exp for low level mobs or events, no level appropriate loot in low level areas, and ultimately it would give me an incentive to move on. As it is I’m level 35 and have never left any of the starting zones. Why should I when I can just as easily level by doing the same events over and over.

Oh wait, this game isn’t about leveling, right, isn’t that what you guys are saying. Then what IS it about? Why even have levels then? I understand the whole “play for the joy of playing”, but that joy of playing comes from leveling my toon and getting new gear, throw a little exploring in there and I’m as smitten as a kitten with a ball of yarn. To each their own right. Some people paint for the joy of painting, some people paint for the joy of completing a beautiful piece of artwork. I’m in the latter group. So if you guys believe in the whole play just to play thing as much as you do then just get rid of levels entirely. Then you can really say you play just to play.

You guys complain about not wanting to one hit kill stuff in low level areas, but guess what, you still do! There was a warrior that cleared all the mobs around me in like 20 seconds, leaving me standing in an empty field waiting for them to respawn. So the whole argument saying that it’s supposed to prevent that is kind of moot.

All I know is that I grew to love everything about this game… except for the level scaling. And it’s a deal breaker. I feel like they really screwed the pooch with that feature. Not sure about anyone else but I’ll probably switch over to the elder scrolls online if they go free to play. Either that or I’ll go back to modding skyrim lol. Either way I want something that gives me a sense of progression. I don’t like feeling nerfed everywhere I go.

And here comes the mindless gw2 fanboys to tell me I’m wrong….

in Suggestions

Posted by: SilverBird.8327

SilverBird.8327

I must refer.. the game is Awesome!. but the only* thing that bugging for me is that level down thing. i mean in the pvp and all its cool/. but out in the world its .. well i think for me its just not giving the experience of being play with high lvl player at lower lvl places.. its like there is no differences from me being lvl 10 to 80. and even my power goes down and not a little. but i think lot of player maybe feels that way. but overall thats a very nicely game . i just wish for that dlvl to be removed. ^

in Suggestions

Posted by: Euthymia.4807

Euthymia.4807

No. Level scaling is a core concept and a major selling point of this game, and is working as intended.

in Suggestions

Posted by: heyoldguy.2578

heyoldguy.2578

The current system might be fine except for 4 things: there’s no reason to leave the starting area, scaling nullifies any sense of real accomplishment, and scaling causes those who can’t afford armor and weapons that are peak for their level to suffer less effectiveness than beginning players in lower areas, and finally, scaling does not really scale areas other than the starting areas effectively at all—leaving the starting area is nearly certain death for players that can play quite well in the starting areas.

Other than that, scaling is perfect.

in Suggestions

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

You ruin a well-stated argument with a comment like that. As well as this, an opinion can’t be wrong (unless your opinion is 1 + 1 = 20123. Then you are wrong).

Personally, I enjoy the level scaling. It makes more of the world and dungeons viable as actual content (steamrolling everything isn’t what I’d consider ‘enjoyable’). What would you say if you only had Orr and Frostgorge Sound as viable, open-world areas, and you couldn’t do other things at a lower level without sneezing and killing things?

As well as this:

• It acts as a mechanism to prevent griefing, or stopping level-appropriate players from actually doing the content they need to. There are people out there who would just AoE events, stopping level-appropriate characters from participating properly (I believe scaling isn’t harsh enough, in this respect). As well as this, can you imagine how fast Shadow Behemoth would go down if you had people doing 2k auto-attacks? I mean, you can’t level SB up to 80, because it isn’t a level 80 zone.
  • It keeps all areas viable for expansion, usage in the Living Story, or general content updates.
  • It allows players to play with lower level players, without hindering them too much.

Literally, the only negative to this system is that it dis-empowers the player, so they can no longer steamroll through lower level zones, or AFK, get attacked, and still be alive 5 minutes after. I personally view it like this; you’re stronger than them threats, but if your careless, you can still get hurt.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Euthymia.4807

You ruin a well-stated argument with a comment like that. As well as this, an opinion can’t be wrong (unless your opinion is 1 + 1 = 20123. Then you are wrong).

Personally, I enjoy the level scaling. It makes more of the world and dungeons viable as actual content (steamrolling everything isn’t what I’d consider ‘enjoyable’). What would you say if you only had Orr and Frostgorge Sound as viable, open-world areas, and you couldn’t do other things at a lower level without sneezing and killing things?

As well as this:

• It acts as a mechanism to prevent griefing, or stopping level-appropriate players from actually doing the content they need to. There are people out there who would just AoE events, stopping level-appropriate characters from participating properly (I believe scaling isn’t harsh enough, in this respect). As well as this, can you imagine how fast Shadow Behemoth would go down if you had people doing 2k auto-attacks? I mean, you can’t level SB up to 80, because it isn’t a level 80 zone.
  • It keeps all areas viable for expansion, usage in the Living Story, or general content updates.
  • It allows players to play with lower level players, without hindering them too much.

Literally, the only negative to this system is that it dis-empowers the player, so they can no longer steamroll through lower level zones, or AFK, get attacked, and still be alive 5 minutes after. I personally view it like this; you’re stronger than them threats, but if your careless, you can still get hurt.

Your character is more experienced. If you go hiking in the woods and you’re an experienced hiker that’s been hiking the area for 20 years, it doesn’t mean that you can’t go out tomorrow and get mauled to death by a grizzly.

Look at what happened to Steve Irwin. We all know he would have been level 80 ranger with top gear. He still got done in by a low level stingray.

Just because you’re high level doesn’t mean you are or ever should be safe.

in Suggestions

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

As well as this:

Your character is more experienced. If you go hiking in the woods and you’re an experienced hiker that’s been hiking the area for 20 years, it doesn’t mean that you can’t go out tomorrow and get mauled to death by a grizzly.

Look at what happened to Steve Irwin. We all know he would have been level 80 ranger with top gear. He still got done in by a low level stingray.

That’s more or less what my last point was:

I personally view it like this; you’re stronger than them threats, but if your careless, you can still get hurt.

If you’re agreeing, then I apologise.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Euthymia.4807

As well as this:

That’s more or less what my last point was:

I personally view it like this; you’re stronger than them threats, but if your careless, you can still get hurt.

If you’re agreeing, then I apologise.

yeah I’m agreeing. Was just adding to your point.