Rifles + Thief = Sniper

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kerashana.5783

Kerashana.5783

Thief rifle idea:

1:

Long Shot
Damage: ______
Combo Finisher: Physical Projectile (20% chance)
Range: 500-1,000

Sneak attack:

Sniper Shot
Damage: _
Bleeding(6s): _
Range: 500-1,200

2:

Penetrating Shot
Damage: _______
Combo Finisher: Physical Projectile
Foot note: this attack is a line attack that goes through everything.

3:

Vital Shot
Weakness:
Vulnerability:

4:

Magic Shot
Number of targets: 5
Foot note: This attack is a bounce attack

5:

Snipers Retreat
Foot note: shadow step away from enemies and gain stealth for 3 seconds.

I left the damage undefined because it’s better to leave that to the professionals to balance.

Rifles + Thief = Sniper

in Suggestions

Posted by: Raine Akrune.8416

Raine Akrune.8416

Is anyone counting these thief/rifle suggestions? I’m at 12 but I feel that’s to low.

Asuran Master Thief/Charr Paladin Extraordinaire
Khan of The Burning Eden [TBE]
www.theburningeden.com

Rifles + Thief = Sniper

in Suggestions

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

Thief rifle idea:

1:

Long Shot
Damage: 235

Sneak attack:

Sniper Shot
Damage: 754
Daze: 1/4 Seconds.

2:

Penetrating Shots
Damage: (5x): 560
Combo Finisher: Physical Projectile (20% Chance.)
Foot note: this attack is a line attack that goes through everything.

3:

Vital Shot
Damage: 235
Weakness: 10s
Vulnerability: (10) 10s
Combo Finisher: Physical Projectile (100%)

4:

Magic Shot
Damage: 336 (for each hit.)

5:

Snipers Retreat
Foot note: shadow step away from enemies and gain HIDE and Swiftness for 3 seconds.

I left the damage undefined because it’s better to leave that to the professionals to balance.

Hide is like stealth, except they can see your mirror image.
Hide allows you to activate stealth traits and is effected by all stealth traits, its a weaker form of stealth.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

Rifles + Thief = Sniper

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaimick.5109

Kaimick.5109

Is anyone counting these thief/rifle suggestions? I’m at 12 but I feel that’s to low.

I am at 14 personally maybe I counted wrong

Rifles + Thief = Sniper

in Suggestions

Kaimick.5109

Magic Shot

Having some knowledge of how snipers work this ability is completely opposite. A sniper takes one shot one kill ( theoretically ) not one shot 5 kills from a bouncing bullet.

Not that I am supporting the Idea just saying this makes no sense to the ideology of a sniper

Rifles + Thief = Sniper

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kantharr.2308

Kantharr.2308

This has been requested before but I still like the idea nonetheless.

Rifles + Thief = Sniper

in Suggestions

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

The thief is based around close fighting, event he pistols and shortbow keep you closer to the fighting than longbows/rifles. That is entirely the point of the proffession!

Also…if you want the rifle to be sniper ideologically, then get rid of all aoe/multi-target capability. Otherwise you aren’t a sniper. “One shot, one kill”

Rifles + Thief = Sniper

in Suggestions

Posted by: Overworld.9613

Overworld.9613

Change #4 to Call for support (or something, I’m terrible at naming things)
a ground targeted skill that summons a Theif NPC to that location for 10-15 seconds.
Cause thief weapons tend to have 1 mobility and 1 self-support skill, you’ve got 4 damage and 1 mobility.

Secretly creative

Rifles + Thief = Sniper

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zero Angel.9715

Zero Angel.9715

Alternatively:

Knee Shot: Inflicts vulnerability and cripple on the target (10s), 2 second charge time.

The sniper’s retreat ability wouldnt need damage, but should grant swiftness in addition to invisibility and be renamed ‘displace’ or something. It would act similar to an engineer’s ‘Elixir S’.

Rifles + Thief = Sniper

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

Rifles + Sniper = Warrior

;)

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

Rifles + Thief = Sniper

in Suggestions

Posted by: Knyx.4239

Knyx.4239

I Want This So Bad..!

Knyx – Thief – [uPT] @ Seafarer’s Rest
Google “Grow uP” e Faz a Apply..!
Play Hard, Live Fast, Win Moar..!

Rifles + Thief = Sniper

in Suggestions

Posted by: Assassinin.4963

Assassinin.4963

The modus operandi of sniper is always to engage at long range. So, any sniper ability has to be at least 1500 range and above. Otherwise it cannot be termed sniper. It can be termed an assassin though.

And as noted by the other poster, the sniper shot is one shot one kill. It has to do massive damage. A sniper is effectively a walking Ballista.

If you make a walking ballista out of thief, it is going to make the profession more powerful than it already is. On the other hand, if you create a totally new profession of a sniper class, then there is merit. I would love to play a sniper class. But again we have to differentiate the positioning of the sniper class vis-a-vis the Ballista seige machine.

Rifles + Thief = Sniper

in Suggestions

Posted by: okamijello.8571

okamijello.8571

Doesn’t fit with the mechanics of Thief and the game in general, although it does make logical sense.

Rifles + Thief = Sniper

in Suggestions

Posted by: TerminalMontage.5693

TerminalMontage.5693

I actually chose Engineer over Thief because I like rifles. A rifle doesn’t sound like it would fit thief, but if ANet got creative with it, like the other weapons for the other professions, then I am all for it.

Rifles + Thief = Sniper

in Suggestions

Posted by: Abigor.4952

Abigor.4952

Why are thieves so eager to have rifles, I`d say thief should be limited to daggers/offhand pistol only. If you want to run with a rifle take an engy or warrior then

Rifles + Thief = Sniper

in Suggestions

Posted by: Torqueblue.1945

Torqueblue.1945

I’ve always like the idea of a theif with a rifle. however I can’t see the magic shot working. mainly cause theifs aren’t uh….magic types. personally I can see the the First still being something more along the lines of “if your this far away you do this much damage” much like the Mesmer’s First skill with the Greatsword.

Has anyone played Twisted Metal for the PS3? Neither have I but I’ve seen vids and read about the cars and weapons in-game on the wiki and what not. Anywho theres a sniper rifle in the game. How it works is the longer you hold down the aim button the better the shot. For example: its like using a catapult or treb. the longer you hold it down the farther it goes, BUT for a sniper attack the longer you hold it down the more damage it does.
Hold it for 2 seconds Cause bleeding and X Amount of damge
Hold it for 4 seconds cause Crippling
Hold for 6 seconds cause Weakness
Hold for 8 seconds cause Vulnerability
Hold for 10 sconds Max time and cause Massive damage and 100% crit hit and some random condition.

Scotch and Pills, what could possibly go wrong? – Max Payne

Rifles + Thief = Sniper

in Suggestions

Posted by: dzeRnumbrd.6129

dzeRnumbrd.6129

Magic Shot

Having some knowledge of how snipers work this ability is completely opposite. A sniper takes one shot one kill ( theoretically ) not one shot 5 kills from a bouncing bullet.

Not that I am supporting the Idea just saying this makes no sense to the ideology of a sniper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_bullet_theory

Magic bullet is a tip of the hat to the Kennedy sniper assassination

As a thief myself, I think rifle doesn’t fit our profession / play style.

If thieves start killing people in WvW from 1200-1500 range without them seeing us then there will be a riot from the other professions. They already QQ enough about thieves in WvW because of the culling / drawing issue.

I think this skillset would better belong to a ranger. A ranger should be an expert in camoflauge and ambush and given how weak the ranger class is – it would be a perfect addition.

All thieves really need is our pistol to get some extra damage.

Rifles + Thief = Sniper

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

As I mentione before , I also like the rifle for thieves. And at least 3 of the skills should have 1200 range.
But I’d rather have the rifle centered on singling out enemies and applying ranged pressure. Using initiative as bullets.

Something like this:

1. Burst-fire.
    1200 range. 1.5s channeling.
    A skill that shoots three low damage bullets in succession, like with an assault rifle with burst-fire, followed by a short pause. (Something like the elementalist’s stone daggers)
    Combo finisher: Projectile (20% chance).
    Can be traited to pierce enemies (max 3).
  2. Bullet time
    400 range. Instant activation. 4 initiative.
    A skill that shoots like a shotgun as it evades in the direction of movement (backwards if not moving), hitting up to 5 enemies within a cone in the aiming direction.
    Combo finisher: Leap.
    Gain vigor (3s) if you hit 3 enemies or more.
  3. Till it goes click.
    1200 range. 4s channeling. Special cost: 1 to all initiative.
    A kill that once activated shoots low damage bullets at the target, 3 shots per second, 1 initiative per shot, until you run out of initiative or interrupt it with another action.
    Bullets cause random conditions: Blindness (1s), crippled(3s), bleeding(2×5s), or confusion (1×2s).
    Ends prematurely if you run out of initiative before it ends.
    Combo finisher: Projectile (10% chance).
    Can be traited to pierce enemies (max 5).
    Preparedness increases max possible duration by 1s, as it adds +3 initiative.
  4. Snipe.
    1500 range. 5 second activation (immobile). Special cost: ALL initiative of a FULL initiative bar. Even with Preparedness.
    An all-or-nothing sniping skill that makes the thief immobile for 5 seconds while they aim, and after that it deals a single shot of great damage that has a higher chance to deal a critical hit if the target is immobilized.
    It makes you Revealed for 10 seconds after use, since it’s REALLY loud.
    Combo finisher: Projectile.
    Can be traited to pierce enemies (max 5), but dealing less damage to each successive enemy it hits.
  5. Reload.
    6-8s channeling (immobile). 2 initiative.
    A skill that recharges all initiative by increasing the base recharge from 4 initiative every 3 seconds to, 2 initiative per second while channeling.
    It’s disabled for 15 seconds if interrupted by an enemy or another player action.
    Also, nothing will affect Reload positively, like making it recharge faster or activate faster, including quickness. It can be affected negatively, though, like with chill or interruptions.

Related traits;
- Preparedness alters some of the skills.
- Jacketed bullets would be a new Master tier trait in Trickery that would make some rifle and pistol skills pierce through enemies.
- Some pistol traits will also affect some rifle skills.

To put it simply, a thief with a rifle should sacrifice most their the defense, speed, control and mobility in exchange for range and damage.
Something you can use from a keep in WvW to take out key targets, as opposed to spamming AoEs with a shortbow, but definitely not something you’d bring to a swordfight.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

Rifles + Thief = Sniper

in Suggestions

Posted by: deltanium.7543

deltanium.7543

Agreed with Mithran, although I could add something along the line of a permanent stealth on condition of not moving. This could give an edge in close quarter by allowing a certain level of retreat, support or defending(camping cuz that’s what snipers do).

Since sniper is of high caliber, piercing shot seems more appropriate than bouncing shots.

I would also like to see something along the lines of an aimed linear shot(though I could see issues with that regarding heights) as well as an unavoidable lock-on similar to Caythlin’s ulti in LoL. The latter would validate both blocking and reflecting mechanics while not being particularely unfair against those who chose not to use either since it could be intervened.

Rifles + Thief = Sniper

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vendetta.5296

Vendetta.5296

Already been said once before but: Rifle + warrior = Sniper buddy, We got the longest range attack in the game with 1500 range (over the usual 1200) and kill shot can frankly..With for great justice and signet of rage insta kill on a crit on any creature between 1 and 60. It’s a good thought but it’s already been done on another class.

Rifles + Thief = Sniper

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vendetta.5296

Vendetta.5296

Off topic: One thing though (I don’t mind personally as i have one), why would you have a sniper “Playstyle” on thief when there are 2 sniper rifles in the entire game, One is order of whispers the others a precursor/a legendary.

Rifles + Thief = Sniper

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zero Angel.9715

Zero Angel.9715

You can ‘snipe’ without a scope if you used iron sights and could account for drag and wind. There are plenty of rifles used in wars that were great for long range shots but didnt typically come equipped with scopes, the M1 Garand for example.

I do think that for a sniper class to ‘feel’ realistic, the rifles could use charge times (1 to 3 seconds) for aiming most attacks, but also feature higher damage so that their DPS doesnt drop too much.

Rifles + Thief = Sniper

in Suggestions

Kaimick.5109

Magic Shot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_bullet_theory

Magic bullet is a tip of the hat to the Kennedy sniper assassination

As a thief myself, I think rifle doesn’t fit our profession / play style.

If thieves start killing people in WvW from 1200-1500 range without them seeing us then there will be a riot from the other professions. They already QQ enough about thieves in WvW because of the culling / drawing issue.

I think this skillset would better belong to a ranger. A ranger should be an expert in camoflauge and ambush and given how weak the ranger class is – it would be a perfect addition.

All thieves really need is our pistol to get some extra damage.

Did you really just quote or cite rather a 2% oddity in support of a skill that does it 100% of the time?

please never never bring in conspiracy to try and prove your point. Not saying your link isn’t true or saying it is true it just can’t be 100% proven, in fact the "Magic Bullet theory for Kennedy is meant to dis prove one shooter and prove multiple shooters

Also being part of the Reapers for 7 months I can tell you that a magic bullet theory is one in a Zillion.

(edited by Kaimick.5109)

Rifles + Thief = Sniper

in Suggestions

Posted by: Air.6452

Air.6452

Why would you limit the range to 1,200 or 1,000 for most skills?

I would imagine that if you are going to give this option and label it “sniper” then you should at least have the range of a longbow (1,500?). Also, maybe you also implement a damage increase for skill 1 much like the Mesmer’s greatsword ability (damage increases by range).

Chody – Leader of We Came To Dance GW2
Crystal Desert
We Came To Dance [WCTD]

Rifles + Thief = Sniper

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kerashana.5783

Kerashana.5783

Wow, this actually got replies… well after reading this i do see a lot of points but let me start with the simplest one.

I was using the engi powers as base for the range and really just got sloppy there. I’m sorry i didn’t check the other long range weapons.

The ‘Magic Shot’ power was supposed to be a play off of ricochet; and the thief short bow already uses ‘Trick Shot’; but more importantly this is just an idea. If they did implement it I would be disappointed if they used exactly what I posted on the other hand I would differently feel honored.

Finally the Thief class is an assassin; and assassin’s would/do use anything that gives them an edge. It could be implemented far better then what I posted; and besides I feel that rifles get too little love in this game.

Rifles + Thief = Sniper

in Suggestions

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

This is a bad idea. You might as well give thieves staves, because neither of the weapons makes any sense in their hands. What kind of dark-alley cutthroat carries a full-length semi-automatic rifle in his jacket? None.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

Rifles + Thief = Sniper

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

I can already see Thief’s hiding behind walls spamming attack number 2….

Rifles + Thief = Sniper

in Suggestions

Posted by: interpol.2397

interpol.2397

I haven’t tried my hand in PvP yet (though I imagine, snipe thieves camping would become a huge issue), but this wouldn’t work well in PvE at all, because of invulnerability on enemies. The game does not allow me to kill an enemy from a rock just slightly above their heads with a scepter, sometimes not even standing right beside them – I have to run away from them a bit, then wait for them to attack me – so I think trying to snipe them from one GW kilometer away won’t be effective at all.

Also, it would make more sense for engineers than thieves. They might have been assassins in GW1, but they’re not that now.