Running slower while in combat removed.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Redead.3016

Redead.3016

Everyone has played WvW and has been blindsided by a zerg. You try to run away and you are miles ahead of the zerg but someone shoots you 1 time and now your slower because you are in combat. Meanwhile the zerg catches up to you because they are not in combat at the time.
With all the culling issues and problems in wvw I strongly believe the “run slower while in combat” needs to be completely removed since you can be blindsided by a zerg due to culling. Lets not forget all the snares in the game! You get snared 1 time and you are done for if you are trying to get away from a zerg.
Please let me know if anyone else agrees that the run slower while in combat seems to just screw you over sometimes.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Trollhammer.7439

Trollhammer.7439

Should run slower while weapon is drawn instead.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

completely agree with this

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

WvW is fine. You lost because you got shot while running away from a horde of enemies…

Sounds about as correct as things should be.

How far that little candle throws its beams!
So shines a good deed in a naughty world.
- William Shakespear

in Suggestions

Posted by: lunawisp.2378

lunawisp.2378

It’s worse for rangers…your pet goes haring off after a destructible object or aggroes some random mob because it loves to run away from you all the time and you suddenly find yourself moving at a snails pace.

Found pottering around on Desolation (EU).
lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

Pets do need to be smarter, but you can dismiss him while you run away, unless you’re in combat, which means you’re already screwed anyway.

How far that little candle throws its beams!
So shines a good deed in a naughty world.
- William Shakespear

in Suggestions

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

WvW is fine. You lost because you got shot while running away from a horde of enemies…

Oh noes! A bullet ricochet off my armor, might as well walk slow now so the enemy can kill me.

Yes that makes perfect sense..

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

in Suggestions

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

This bothers me very much in PVE.. Especially when I have Signet of rage + speed boost (which cost gems), and banner buff. Why on earth if I’m spending money/influence in PVE am I running slower… For PVP maybe its so that everyone is on equal terms as far as run speed, but pve…..

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

in Suggestions

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

Oh noes! A bullet ricochet off my armor, might as well walk slow now so the enemy can kill me.

I dunno about you, but from what I’ve seen, most of the light and medium armors are mostly made of cloth. And the amount of exposed skin on a lot of female armor across the board is ridiculous.

So that argument is a bit invalid.

Plus, since you took damage, obviously it did not just ricochet.

Wouldn’t work, considering that there’s a possibility to hotkey weapon stowing. Enjoy your uncatchable thieves.

Also, the OP’s post is pretty much just another complaint about culling.

(edited by Olba.5376)

in Suggestions

I dunno about you, but from what I’ve seen, most of the light and medium armors are mostly made of cloth. And the amount of exposed skin on a lot of female armor across the board is ridiculous.

So that argument is a bit invalid.

Plus, since you took damage, obviously it did not just ricochet.

Wouldn’t work, considering that there’s a possibility to hotkey weapon stowing. Enjoy your uncatchable thieves.

Also, the OP’s post is pretty much just another complaint about culling.

The point I was trying to make is that getting hit once is no reason to walk slower. Getting seriously wounded is. And getting hit once doesn’t always mean you are seriously wounded.

~Sincerely, Scissors

in Suggestions

Posted by: Anwar.2018

Anwar.2018

agreed, even in PvE it’s irritating…you have an unexpected add and can’t escape.

(edited by Anwar.2018)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

If you can’t escape anyway you shouldn’t escape. That is the risk you take for being in WvW. Sometimes people kill you.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Suggestions

I can understand it in WvW, but not PvE. There is such a thing called “retreat”, we shouldn’t be penalized for doing that.

Glint herself once told us: “It would be a shame if the end of the human race came about simply because you do not know when you are overmatched.”

Well I do know when I’m overmatched. There’s a time to stand your ground and a time to retreat.

~Sincerely, Scissors

in Suggestions

Kal Spiro.9745

I can understand it in WvW, but not PvE. There is such a thing called “retreat”, we shouldn’t be penalized for doing that.

Glint herself once told us: “It would be a shame if the end of the human race came about simply because you do not know when you are overmatched.”

Well I do know when I’m overmatched. There’s a time to stand your ground and a time to retreat.

And mobs usually give up on chasing you after a short while.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

in Suggestions

Irrelevant, it’s still incredibly annoying and makes no sense.

~Sincerely, Scissors

in Suggestions

Kal Spiro.9745

It makes perfect sense, they don’t want you running through areas full of mobs just ignoring the mobs. The same with WvW, they don’t want you flying through a crowd of enemies pretending you’re not there. I don’t know if you noticed, but this is actually a combat game. If you want to stay out of combat don’t be in the world. If you’re in the world be prepared for the posibility of combat occuring.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

It makes perfect sense, they don’t want you running through areas full of mobs just ignoring the mobs. The same with WvW, they don’t want you flying through a crowd of enemies pretending you’re not there. I don’t know if you noticed, but this is actually a combat game. If you want to stay out of combat don’t be in the world. If you’re in the world be prepared for the posibility of combat occuring.

Then why make skills that give you speed buffs for running away, why make skills like “retreat” if there is no purpose. Since you get slowed down in combat anyway, some of these skills are only useful outside of combat, therefore retreating is and should be an option. Otherwise your toon just looks like a moron who can’t run from an OP mob, and just sits there and takes it. That’s not tactic, that’s stupidity.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

in Suggestions

Posted by: pdgeorge.6839

pdgeorge.6839

What about if you have a speed buff you don’t get slowed by combat?

This is specifically for just how many skills are about giving you speed and running away (such as Retreat… How are you meant to retreat when you are talking a mild walk at best?)

in Suggestions

Kal Spiro.9745

This seems like a general misunderstanding of what these powers are meant for.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Trollhammer.7439

Trollhammer.7439

I fail to see your point. Thiefs are already uncatchable. Weapon hotkey also makes perfect sense. You run slower with weapon drawn if you want to fight. You run faster with your weapon sheathed if you want to just run.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Refine-movement-in-combat-mechanic

(edited by Trollhammer.7439)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fred Fargone.3127

Fred Fargone.3127

Correction: “Missed” or “Blocked” or “Evaded” doesn’t make you run slower. Therefore, having a bullet ricochet off your armor doesn’t slow you down.

Taking an arrow to the knee should, however, stop you from adventuring.

Also, being in combat usually takes 2. So its not only you who is slowed down, its also who ever is in combat with you being slowed down.

People who can argue often offer a good and meaningful conversation about the subject.
People who can’t tend to call the opponent troll, scream something utterly incomprehensible
and finally result to personal insults.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

that would make sense on me… – if only “auto-drawn-when-my-pet-get-hit” system would be disabled….

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

in Suggestions

Kal Spiro.9745

that would make sense on me… – if only “auto-drawn-when-my-pet-get-hit” system would be disabled….

It’s called, hit F3 to tell your pet not to retaliate because you don’t enter combat just because your pet got hit. You enter combat when your pet attacks.

in Suggestions

If it makes so much sense, then why do we walk slower when WE hit someone? I break someone’s leg so that means my movement must be impaired?

~Sincerely, Scissors

in Suggestions

Posted by: Redead.3016

Redead.3016

I have played many mmos in my days and I have yet to see any of them have run slower while in combat. What is the point of a cripple or a snare if you run slower while in combat to begin with. Lets face it there is 1-4 snare skills for ever class and there is no point having “run slower while in combat”.
During the gw2 beta there wasn’t a slower running while in combat. Up until the last beta is when I noticed they put that system in. I never seen any problems when there was no running slower while playing WvW or PvE during the beta tests.

(edited by Redead.3016)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fred Fargone.3127

Fred Fargone.3127

If it makes so much sense, then why do we walk slower when WE hit someone? I break someone’s leg so that means my movement must be impaired?

Well, it wouldn’t be fair to reduce just the victims speed, would it?
If you want some “logical reason” just think of every character in the game secretly being a coward: When they shoot somebody and enter the combat, they slow down a bit so others would catch up first, meaning you don’t need to risk your life.
When you’re shot, you would like to run faster but you can’t, because you’re hurting.
There we go, mystery solved, case closed. :P

People who can argue often offer a good and meaningful conversation about the subject.
People who can’t tend to call the opponent troll, scream something utterly incomprehensible
and finally result to personal insults.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Phoenix the One.4071

Phoenix the One.4071

Go guardian and you are forced to fight anyhow.. Staff symbol? Woaw and if any enemy (lucky is doesn’t last so long) should step on it you are in combat.
You could go perma swiftness but that would just make you a running tincan-__-’.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

a lot of comments and no solution whatsoever to the problem Here is is: if they make the weapon drawing a non-auto feature – so your character needs to manually draw the weapon (it is already possible with key bind in options) then the running problem will be solved.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Raph is Chilled.8304

Raph is Chilled.8304

You run slower because higher running speed in combat would mean even more complexity and aiming skills are required. This is obviously not intended so you move at this certain speed while in combat. And this is not unoticable; you run 33% faster while out of combat – this would mean huge changes to melee classes and dodging.

Well, if you are out of combat you mostly run arround in order to travel or to get somewhere. Its no longer necessary that you are running slow because combat complexity isnt affeccted. So you run faster to save boring running time.
I love this because i always hated to run for like 10 minutes. I dont know if some of you have noticed it but samething goes for reviving. While out of combat you revive like 3 times faster than in combat. Why? Because faster reviving affects combat – out of combat its just boring waiting time.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

It’s called, hit F3 to tell your pet not to retaliate because you don’t enter combat just because your pet got hit. You enter combat when your pet attacks.

That’s not so easy – I can turn my pet even on avoid combat – mob hit a pet=I’m running slower and taking my sword from back – when just running through the world I just stow weapon – next hit – again sword in my hands… seriously I tested that – I’m counted as in combat if I or my Pet will take or deliver dmg funny that’s makes also that I’m counted as in fogth for a while when taking falling damage…

PS. F3 is “come to me” not avoid combat – so hitting it will only czange that pet will go to my position first – so if just hit before I could hit F3 he will aleady deliver hit.

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

in Suggestions

Kal Spiro.9745

That’s not so easy – I can turn my pet even on avoid combat – mob hit a pet=I’m running slower and taking my sword from back – when just running through the world I just stow weapon – next hit – again sword in my hands… seriously I tested that – I’m counted as in combat if I or my Pet will take or deliver dmg funny that’s makes also that I’m counted as in fogth for a while when taking falling damage…

PS. F3 is “come to me” not avoid combat – so hitting it will only czange that pet will go to my position first – so if just hit before I could hit F3 he will aleady deliver hit.

If you entered combat that means they hit you, not your pet. If your pet is set to passive it can’t cause combat to initiate. Again, having your pet hit doesn’t initiate combat until it attacks back.

Hitting F3 does stop your pet from initiating combat because it overrides it’s internal command to attack the thing that hit it. You may need to hit it a couple times if it was hit from multiple targets, but you’re playing a pet class and being able to micromanage is a skill you should be learning as a result anyway.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Deepcuts.9740

Deepcuts.9740

I know this is an old thread, but I must say:
Running slower while in combat or if getting hit by a stray arrow is my biggest source of frustration in GW2.
When you want to RUN away RUN AWAY not walk like a snail.
What is the point of snares, cripples and such?

This is the worst aspect of GW2 in my opinion.

Keep it for PvP. DIsable it for WvW and PvE.

If Anet does not want us to run through content, why give Thieves such amazing escapes? (just an example)

And…what content? Almost all PvE is a joke in terms of danger from random mobs scattered on the map.

If Anet wants to keep this “feature”, give all classes the same abilities in terms of gap closer skills and escapes.

Would love to see this go away.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

It is annoying. I know the reasons why they have it but in real life if I was being chased by a bear, I would run faster not way slower. It’s not realistic.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

in Suggestions

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

And the bear would outrun you.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

Yes, but that would be more realistic than me strolling away from the bear.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

in Suggestions

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

I’d second this as well. It’s probably the thing I hate most about the game. It should be changed to running slower while your weapon is drawn, not because someone shot you or a bear took a swipe at you on the way by.

in Suggestions

Posted by: thorv.6309

thorv.6309

the worst is when your trying to go through a jumping area and get hit in midair and the slowed movement makes you miss they need to change this

in Suggestions

the worst is when your trying to go through a jumping area and get hit in midair and the slowed movement makes you miss they need to change this

You get hit in midair in the back, and your momentum is slowed.

why?

Because reasons!

~Sincerely, Scissors

in Suggestions

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

OP has not put much thought into this. If you should be moving full speed after attacked, then why should the guy attacking you be slowed? At that point, the speeds are relative, and you will still be run down.

I completely disagree with the OP.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in Suggestions

Posted by: Oniyui.8279

Oniyui.8279

While I understand that injury slows a person down, I also think that snare conditions represent those sorts of injuries.

I think perhaps ways to disengage from combat effects being built into abilities should exist, such as many abilities with swiftness, stun breaks, pet commands, etc. on some select level.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dredg.4890

Dredg.4890

Zergs can somewhat be defined as an unstoppable force.

You alone are not an immovable object. And because you got shot, you’re a slower moving object.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gabriel Khain.1470

Gabriel Khain.1470

I get the point and at times I share your frustration, but it doesn’t seem like people in this thread realizes that they still have their 25% run speed even in combat, but without it they would move even slower. and it’s not like they’re walking when in combat, because walking in GW2 is really ‘REALLY’ slow xD some of the engages they have in this game should also reset aggro in my opinion, so that when activated negates all threat to mobs and tells the game that you’re no longer in combat. That could solve the issues by being run down by a zerg

The weapon drawn feature sounds cool, but if you’re like me, and I bet some of you are, then you like to run aroud with your weapon drawn. Why you ask? because it looks fricking cool! puts on his shades

As much as I like the runspeed buffs certain professions have in this game I also miss mounts sometimes.. I mean they already utilize Dolyyaks for transportation, but riding the poor animal? nooooo, someone call P.E.T.A! I just find it very odd that they have all these domesticated and tame creatures running about and no one thought of straddling one of the poor kittens? I am not talking flying monstrosoties, like they have in some other games, but just a regular mount with 50% runspeed.. would like to see people on foot trying to catch a mounted man! (PS. Centaur mounts should totally be a thing)