Second Monitor for all the windows

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jomo.3914

Jomo.3914

How hard would it be to allow your second monitor to be a place you can put all the in-game windows. I was thinking maybe just a picture of a piece of parchment for the background and then you could drag any open windows over to it. This way you could have your inventory and your hero panel open all while you play without losing sight of whats going on. This would also be super handy to have the full screen map up on that monitor while you still play the game on your main monitor.

in Suggestions

Posted by: LoreChief.8391

LoreChief.8391

I love this idea, and have +1’d it many times. I want to have my map and stuff up on my second monitor. nod

in Suggestions

Posted by: LoreChief.8391

LoreChief.8391

Oh, also plugging my original thread for this request forever ago;

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Dual-Monitor-Support-Always-On-Map/first#post894598

Feel free to necro it if you want!

in Suggestions

Posted by: waringguilds.6924

waringguilds.6924

Would love this, actually. Often open up the hero menu to check achievements while on the mood, or inventory. This would be a nice quality of life thing.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Llyren.3904

Llyren.3904

I would love to be able to place several ui elements on a second monitor

in Suggestions

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Absolutely supported. I’ve asked for this before. I think it’s a much needed feature in WvW but also useful in every other place in the world.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Suggestions

Jomo.3914

So I was looking at the API available for GW and I think this idea could be implemented as a secondary program. The only problem is that each character doesn’t seem to have a way of sending out its data live… i.e. We can see all the map data but not where a character is on the map, or we can see item data but not which items are in your inventory or on your character. Unless I am missing something?

in Suggestions

Posted by: quakeroatmeal.4829

quakeroatmeal.4829

I can tell you as a developer that this would be incredibly difficult, and while I agree would be really cool, ain’t gonna happen.

On a similar note, I would love it if they had an option for a mini-hero window though. Weapon swapping outside of your two swap weapons is an unnecessary pain in the kitten because the window occupies 80% of your screen.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

There are various ways this could be implemented. None are easy from a dev stand point.

1. API (probably the easiest, then let the community do the rest of the work)
2. have GW2.exe spawn a child instance and bind all popup/windows to that child instance and have it live at the desktop level (but always on top) – This would only work if GW2 was in windowed/Windowed-Full screen mode
3. Remote WebServices built into GW2, this could be done with Flash/Java, but would require an API still.

I wish for an armory or a way to dump Character information into a CSV.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

in Suggestions

Jomo.3914

Sirsquishy, those ideas really put this problem in perspective for me. But could the game not just double it’s screen size with half being what we traditionally see and the rest being this new area I’m proposing? That way if you have two screens the overflow area is readily available for your windows in game, and if you have one monitor all you see is what we have always seen. In fact, you could have it expand in both directions so even people with three monitors could have extra space on either side of the character screen.

The map concept would be more challenging but maybe there is an option to set which half of the “screen” the map sits on. “Overlay mode” for on top of your character screen or “Side mode” for being shown on the extra space.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ThePahkage.2684

ThePahkage.2684

my inventory is often open while playing…similar to isaiah cartwright’s setup

keep inventory 10-wide and condensed to like 5 or 6-tall,
put all quick-use consumables in top-right corner,
drag inventory all the way to the left so that it’s mostly off-screen