Set of Minis for gem store loyalty

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kessie Langley.8963

Kessie Langley.8963

I wrote to Anet regarding the minis handed out for gem store loyalty and was told there is a better way to reach the developers. Below is a copy/paste of the letter I wrote to Anet.

Dear GW2 team,
My name is —-———-. My roommate and I have been fans since GW1 and love what you have created.
I am writing to you to address a distressing circumstance. One of the features of GW2 that my roommate and I really like is the gem store’s flexibility in terms of payment. Allowing players to exchange real life money or in game gold for gems is fantastic. It was anticipated as offering an even footing for all players from all walks of life to afford and play guild wars.
My roommate and I are, to put it bluntly, poor. We have not spent a dime on gems. We purchased GW2 and then proceeded to exchange in game gold for gems. I know we are not the only players to do this. However my roommate and I have spent an alarming amount of time farming/grinding in order to afford in game necessities (armor/weapons/repairs etc) as well as gem store items.
What angered me and very much upset my roommate was learning that the players who can afford to purchase gems with real money were gifted a set of minis for their dedication. They were given something they could already afford and poorer players are left to grind, spending time preoccupied with when a gem store sale will end instead of enjoying the game. Now those players who spent real life money to buy gems don’t have to spend their gems on the minis they were gifted and can save it for another day while the less affluent work even harder to keep up. A stark example of the rich getting richer.
I assure you that my roommate and I are not stingy. We are not withholding money because we can; we simply have no money to give. Rewarding financially affluent players with gem store items (which they appear to already be able to afford) but offering nothing to the rest of your audience who can’t afford gems was an insensitive move and comes across as spitting in our faces. Hearing of other players who received gifts for “loyalty” or “dedication” for spending real money does not incite me to spend money for gems. It only frustrated me and I believe it has depressed my roommate.
The option to buy gems with real money or in game gold was and still is an attractive feature. It offered no advantage to people who had more hours to play than others (and could thus spend gold for gems) nor was it supposed to offer an advantage to those who were affluent in real life (who could spend money instead of gold for gems.) Many players anticipated, as my roommate and I anticipated a level playing field. But by sending out minis to those who spent real life money instead of time and gold Anet showed a clear preference for and gave a huge advantage to those who spent real life money.
Why are players who spend real life money worth thanking for their dedication while those who spend time and in game gold are not? We are dedicated and faithful players. I do not know how the decision to give out these minis as a reward was made. We are hurt by what may have been a thoughtless and backhanded insult from a young employee with not enough life experience to understand how this would reflect on Anet as whole. It reflects very poorly.
I sincerely hope this was a onetime occurrence. Please consider what you can offer to players who have spent in game gold at the gem store.
From, —-———-

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

Anet does something nice, something they didn’t have to do and all they get is grief…

… I still want tengu.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

Fact is, you’re not bringing anymore money to Anet then is already there when you trade gold for gems. You’re just taking the gems that are already there and moving them around. That doesn’t help Anet at all.

… I still want tengu.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Hammerguard could have phrased it more tactfully, but he’s basically right. ANet did this as a thank you to the people who have contributed to their revenue above and beyond what they paid to purchase the game in the first place. I understand how it might seem unfair to someone who’s sunk enormous amounts of time into the game, but one type of player is more valuable to ANet than the other, and this is reflected in their action.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Raspberry.6095

Raspberry.6095

Dude I drop Cash I worked hard for on the game. That prize means allot to me..you claim to be poor? I make $8 an hour…….I’m not being rude im stating the same thing above. you could have at-least one time payed $10 one’s…somewhere. Do note those mini’s are mass produced and you could hardly ever make a profit.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

Because you didn’t put a kittening roof over their heads or food in their mouths? Close thread.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Eadgyth.3641

Eadgyth.3641

Zaxares.5419

The issue is not that ANet gave a “thank you gift,” it is that ANet concurrently effectively penalized all other players more than 15 gold (the cost to buy the gems for a set of minis). This may or may not have been intentional. I currently vote for a careless or thoughtless “not” intentional.

At issue is not only fairness but the pre-release marketing that loudly trumpeted that GW2 play would be free, gem buying players would not gain in-game advantage, and players who played for free would not be disadvantaged in-game for not buying gems. All players would be equal.

Mini collecting, and apparently now ANet disfavored, “free” players and those who buy few gems or buy them irregularly are effectively penalized more than 15 gold and favored players, whether they realize it or not, effectively gained more than a 15g windfall. This is not behavior that could reasonably be anticipated by those who believed and relied on ANet advertising for GW2.

Directly or indirectly giving in-game gold to, or taking In-game gold from, players in an uneven fashion grants in-game advantage or alternatively disadvantages in-game play. If a player spends 15 gold on minis it can’t be spent again on armor.

The effective gift of 500 gems to favored players allows them to purchase 500 more gems worth of gold, or whatever, than they actually paid for.

Absent ANet taking steps to right the inequity, the appearance is that ANet promised free play and equality to gain sales and now (mere months after the release of the game) intentionally disadvantages those players who believed the promises and relied on them in making the decision to purchase the game and, in reliance on the advertising, play without regularly purchasing gems or purchase none at all.

In this instance ANet is substantially disadvantaging the mini collecting “free” or less than regular gem buying players to the tune of more than 15 in-game gold that must be earned and spent in a limited time. This is the direct and logical result of favoring regular gem buying players with gifts of minis that cost that amount.

So much for the promised cake, um… equality.

I am a big picture person and what I see troubles me but I really like ANet and despite the very d*mning appearances, in the short term, I am taking the position that this was a hideous mistake caused by small picture thinking in a big picture game rather than egregious (false and deceptive / bait and switch) consumer fraud intentionally ground into the faces of those who relied on ANet pre-release advertising for GW2.

If ANet follows its past pattern of righting inequities and treating all players equally ANet will take steps to rectify the situation and make it clear that “rich” players are not “better” than others and will not be treated better than the die-hard GW fans who temporarily or permanently cannot afford to buy the benefits that come with regular purchase of gems and relied on the advertising of free play and equality.

I have seen ANet right injustices and go way out of its way to create fair game play. I won’t believe this is intentional fraud unless ANet makes a permanent favored class out of "regular"gem buyers and continues to give “regular” gem buyers even greater advantage than we can all already purchase with real life cash.

Those of us who purchased costumes in GW1, and were the most “profitable” were never treated as “better” than other players and we should not have been. Those of us who buy gems with cash are no better than those of us who don’t. All players invaluably contribute to the game.

In my opinion treating some players like second class citizens may drive them away to game environments where they are treated with more respect rather than inspire or coerce them into spending more money.

The economy relies on the product of the “free” players; continually treating them like dirt seems unwise as it may ultimately have unintended consequences to the function of the game.

(edited by Eadgyth.3641)

in Suggestions

Player Character.9467

Zaxares.5419

The issue is not that ANet gave a “thank you gift,” it is that ANet concurrently effectively penalized all other players more than 15 gold (the cost to buy the gems for a set of minis). This may or may not have been intentional. I currently vote for a careless or thoughtless “not” intentional.

At issue is not only fairness but the pre-release marketing that loudly trumpeted that GW2 play would be free, gem buying players would not gain in-game advantage, and players who played for free would not be disadvantaged in-game for not buying gems. All players would be equal.

Mini collecting, and apparently now ANet disfavored, “free” players and those who buy few gems or buy them irregularly are effectively penalized more than 15 gold and favored players, whether they realize it or not, effectively gained more than a 15g windfall. This is not behavior that could reasonably be anticipated by those who believed and relied on ANet advertising for GW2.

Directly or indirectly giving in-game gold to, or taking In-game gold from, players in an uneven fashion grants in-game advantage or alternatively disadvantages in-game play. If a player spends 15 gold on minis it can’t be spent again on armor.

The effective gift of 500 gems to favored players allows them to purchase 500 more gems worth of gold, or whatever, than they actually paid for.

Absent ANet taking steps to right the inequity, the appearance is that ANet promised free play and equality to gain sales and now (mere months after the release of the game) intentionally disadvantages those players who believed the promises and relied on them in making the decision to purchase the game and, in reliance on the advertising, play without regularly purchasing gems or purchase none at all.

In this instance ANet is substantially disadvantaging the mini collecting “free” or less than regular gem buying players to the tune of more than 15 in-game gold that must be earned and spent in a limited time. This is the direct and logical result of favoring regular gem buying players with gifts of minis that cost that amount.

So much for the promised cake, um… equality.

I am a big picture person and what I see troubles me but I really like ANet and despite the very d*mning appearances, in the short term, I am taking the position that this was a hideous mistake caused by small picture thinking in a big picture game rather than egregious (false and deceptive / bait and switch) consumer fraud intentionally ground into the faces of those who relied on ANet pre-release advertising for GW2.

If ANet follows its past pattern of righting inequities and treating all players equally ANet will take steps to rectify the situation and make it clear that “rich” players are not “better” than others and will not be treated better than the die-hard GW fans who temporarily or permanently cannot afford to buy the benefits that come with regular purchase of gems and relied on the advertising of free play and equality.

I have seen ANet right injustices and go way out of its way to create fair game play. I won’t believe this is intentional fraud unless ANet makes a permanent favored class out of "regular"gem buyers and continues to give “regular” gem buyers even greater advantage than we can all already purchase with real life cash.

Those of us who purchased costumes in GW1, and were the most “profitable” were never treated as “better” than other players and we should not have been. Those of us who buy gems with cash are no better than those of us who don’t. All players invaluably contribute to the game.

In my opinion treating some players like second class citizens may drive them away to game environments where they are treated with more respect rather than inspire or coerce them into spending more money.

The economy relies on the product of the “free” players; continually treating them like dirt seems unwise as it may ultimately have unintended consequences to the function of the game.

So not having those minis was game breaking for you?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Eadgyth.3641

Eadgyth.3641

I have the minis; should I have mentioned that? I thought it was irrelevant to the discussion.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

Would you people shut up. This is the stupidest thing I’ve seen on these boards. I’m not a “regular” gem buyer. I don’t know anybody that routinely spends real money on gems. I did it 2 or 3 times since launch. 10 dollars here or there didn’t seem like such a big deal and I too don’t make very much at work. This game is FREE to play for kitten’s sake, and I like it very much. I had no problem spending real money to support Anet here and there.

And I don’t see anything wrong with people giving them a little extra support getting a free gift. Even if I didn’t buy gems, they’re kitten mini’s for crying out loud. I know some people are obsessed with mini’s, but come on. People are acting like Anet is handing out Legendaries for people who buy gems with real money.

They aren’t splitting their player base at all, nor are they “spitting in the face” of people who use gold for gems. Anet allowing gold for gems keeps this game free to play in all aspects, and you sit there and complain they reward people who toss them a little extra money to make the game we play and love better.

Anybody remember the Allen Iverson press conference about practice? “We’re talking about practice. Not a game, not a game…” etc etc. Well, we’re talking about mini’s. Mini’s. Not armor, not free town clothes, not even money. We’re talking about mini’s man. I mean how silly is that."

I get the principle behind it is what people have a problem with, but in the end you not being able to afford even 10 dollars in gems in not anyone’s problem but your own.
You complain you can’t spare 10 bucks, yet you bought a 60 dollar game. NOTHING on the gem shop is required to enjoy this game and people who buy things off of there enjoy NO advantage over someone who has never spent a single gem on items. They are for player convenience, and player CONVENIENCE only. They aren’t selling weapons, armor, trinkets etc. Half the stuff on there is ridiculous town clothes related garbage. All the stuff like Black Lion kits etc are available through dailies and chests. Don’t sit there and complain Anet tossed people a couple mini’s for giving them a little financial support when they aren’t getting a dime from anybody after initial purchase. You’re a gem buyer through your in-game gold. Enjoy your free to play game, one that you don’t have to spend a thing playing and enjoying instead of complaining when Anet gives people more or less worthless items.

(edited by Woljnir.7810)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Christos de Soufre.3802

Christos de Soufre.3802

Got minis. Deleted them because they take up space.

Chris “Dawnheart” Aerinoh — Revenant, Guardian — Blackgate

in Suggestions

Player Character.9467

Got minis. Deleted them because they take up space.

… there’s a tab in ur bank for collectibles… they have specific slots for each mini…

in Suggestions

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Beggars can’t be choosers.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Suggestions

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Anet showed a clear preference for and gave a huge advantage to those who spent real life money.

Three account bound minis being a huge advantage? Spend less on whatever you’re smoking and buy gems maybe?

Why are players who spend real life money worth thanking for their dedication while those who spend time and in game gold are not? We are dedicated and faithful players. I do not know how the decision to give out these minis as a reward was made. We are hurt by what may have been a thoughtless and backhanded insult from a young employee with not enough life experience to understand how this would reflect on Anet as whole. It reflects very poorly.

It reflects pretty good imho, people who support get a bit extra. That’s a very normal thing to do actually and I wonder why it wasn’t done before. You’re not required to buy gems, but please don’t presume you’re too poor. Not buying gems is a choice. As a student I easily wasted 20+ euros in alcohol and other fun activities every single week. If I wanted gems, I could have bought them by not drinking as much and that’s exactly what I did to finance WoW’s monthly.

I sincerely hope this was a onetime occurrence. Please consider what you can offer to players who have spent in game gold at the gem store.
From, —-———-

People who didn’t spend money are not to be considered for rewarding customer support. I don’t know why you’d think that. In game gold does not pay wages.

If they’d back down now and give freebees to people like you, people like me who are happy to be acknowledged will become rather kitten ed and rightfully so.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

When I go in a new sandwich bar, I get a fidelity card. I get one stamp every sandwich I buy. When I reach ten stamps, I get one free sandwich the next time, so one sandwich in eleven I get is free.

In comparison, you have bought only one sandwich and you want the free one already?

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

in Suggestions

Posted by: JubeiTM.5763

JubeiTM.5763

Think about this:

2500 Gems purchased with real money: ~ Receive a random basic Pet
5000 Gems purchased with real money: ~ Receive a random rare Pet
10.000 Gems purchased with real money: ~ Receive a random exotic Pet

These pets will be Soulbound and shouldn’t be available otherwise. Pay to Support not to Win!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

Considering some of the kitten I’ve seen in other f2p games this is totally reasonable…As someone else who haven’t spend any real cash in the shop either I accept not getting these minis. I can live without them…It’s not like it gives those people +20% power or anything…If you really really want those minis and didn’t get any freebie, then cough up some cash or gold…Who knows if 10 months down the line they do this again? This is also a very tactful incentive to get players to spend cash

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

Gifts are given at the option of the giver. This was a very nice thank you from the developers to people who have chosen to support them with CASH. They are also giving a gift to people who choose to visit the gem store even if they don’t spend money (it’s a doll, and it’s completely free in the gem store) and they are giving a gift to people who choose to play the game (it’s a dragon helm and you can get it just by being in LA during specified times).

They also sent some real life dragon pinatas to some of the fan sites — but they didn’t send me one, and I really, really want one. I don’t have a fansite, but I’ve talked this game up every day since way before launch; I’ve written about it and made videos and created a website for my guild. Shouldn’t I get a pinata too?

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace