Should outdoor boss events drop loot?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

No, you don’t find it fun. There are people out there who find it fun to play an event primarily for its rewards.

No, what you’re finding “fun” there is the reward, not the event. We could replace these boss events with me standing around handing a rare out to anyone that comes by and whispers me a joke, and you’d call that “fun” because you’re only there for the reward handout, not the experience. That’s the problem.

What you are proposing is nothing less than the death of most open-world events, because instead of rewarding players for trying to run content (as any good game does), you are punishing them for not doing it. That doesn’t encourage people to play, it encourages them to find a new game.

Holy over-exaggeration. Maybe you haven’t noticed, but 99% of the events in this game do not offer you a chest reward at the end and are continually participated in regardless. And yet the world keeps on spinning..! Where is your “death of most open-world events”?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chorel.1720

Chorel.1720

No, you don’t find it fun. There are people out there who find it fun to play an event primarily for its rewards.

No, what you’re finding “fun” there is the reward, not the event. We could replace these boss events with me standing around handing a rare out to anyone that comes by and whispers me a joke, and you’d call that “fun” because you’re only there for the reward handout, not the experience. That’s the problem.

What you are proposing is nothing less than the death of most open-world events, because instead of rewarding players for trying to run content (as any good game does), you are punishing them for not doing it. That doesn’t encourage people to play, it encourages them to find a new game.

Holy over-exaggeration. Maybe you haven’t noticed, but 99% of the events in this game do not offer you a chest reward at the end and are continually participated in regardless. And yet the world keeps on spinning..! Where is your “death of most open-world events”?

Most of those small events you refer to take a couple minutes to complete. Dragons and other big boss events take 10-30 minutes to beat. Why do something harder if you don’t get rewarded for it? If they spawned most people wouldn’t do them because they can get better exp/karma/money doing another event. You would have some doing the events but not the massive amount of people doing it now.

People like being rewarded. Who would have thought?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Not what he finds fun, if I’m gathering things he’s said in other topics. But for some people it’s worth their time and energy. Personally, I’d find both instances fun, the boss fight and the “find me, get a joke, get a rare”. But I’m weird like that.

I say unto you: Straits of Devastation. It is not uncommon to find it completely untouched as far as the three-front invasion scheme. It is not uncommon to find other Temples not taken, as well.

There already are some Champion events which people do not do. Champion Bandit Lieutenant in Bandithaunt Caverns is one that isn’t usually done. The Blood Witkittenessex Hills often goes untouched until a few people get bored and go take care of it. Gargantula in Harathi Hinterlands? Champion Risen Megalodon in two places. Captain Rotbeard. Laughing Gull Island.

Laughing Gull Island even has an Achievement for finishing it properly, and nobody does it.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Suggestions

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

Ah yes, you instantly assume that I’m talking out of a selfish stance of “don’t take my loot”, rather than just pointing out how absurd your proposal is.

You know what they say about assumptions.

You may have noticed that many events which spawn champion mobs, or which spawn a large number of mobs that aren’t killable with just a few people, don’t tend to get completed nearly as often.

There’s a reason for that. Time investment not being worthwhile is a factor in whether or not an event gets completed frequently. If you drain all of the rewards from open-world events, you will kill most people’s motivation to run them.

But of course, you’ll deny this, saying that you’ve never seen much trouble with this. And yet there are tons of other anecdotes in this same thread who disagree with you. So I wager that they’re not all wrong and that you’re the only person here who is correct. Whaddya think?

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

The problem is the fights are too easy, not that they drop bad loot.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in Suggestions

Edge.4180

Most of those small events you refer to take a couple minutes to complete. Dragons and other big boss events take 10-30 minutes to beat.

You’re exaggerating on the time by quite a bit, especially when talking about the state of these events currently (where they’re being zerged by upwards of 30 or more players).

Why do something harder if you don’t get rewarded for it? If they spawned most people wouldn’t do them because they can get better exp/karma/money doing another event. You would have some doing the events but not the massive amount of people doing it now.

People like being rewarded. Who would have thought?

Why are you logging in to play a game? Hang on.. I answered my own question: You log on to play a game. We do that because playing games is fun, right? And people like to have fun, right? “Who would have thought?”, as you say. Seriously.. just wow. It sounds ridiculous whenever someone literally asks “where’s my reward for having fun?” . And if you’re about to suggest that these events aren’t fun.. then maybe you should reconsider your resistance to changing them.

Like I said earlier, these boss events can offer a little additional XP, karma, and coin to offset the additional time required in completing them. Maybe small buffs which persist within the current zone only (people scoff at that suggestion and yet are probably amongst the first to click on a guild banner buff). Or these encounters simply open up access to a karma vendor, or waypoints that are otherwise locked down, etc. Those are just quick and dirty suggestions; there are many things that can be offered besides a guaranteed rare and a chance at an exotic.

And if those suggestions don’t attract the numbers of players these events are currently attracting.. well that’s kind of the point. Because the current popularity (which is solely the result of gimme-gimme-greed) is ruining whatever fun these encounters could ever possibly offer on the merits of their own design. And no matter how well they are designed, that will never change until fewer people are participating in them.

ArenaNet needs to really take a hard look at this and ask the question “what’s the goal here?”. Because if the goal is to keep players occupied with repetitive loot acquisition and boss-event camping that is ultimately bad for the health of the game – mission accomplished. But if the goal is to provide quality entertainment, then these boss events have failed to do that in a big way, and they will continue to have that problem so long as players continue to be attracted to them for all the wrong reasons.

in Suggestions

Edge.4180

I say unto you: Straits of Devastation. It is not uncommon to find it completely untouched as far as the three-front invasion scheme. It is not uncommon to find other Temples not taken, as well.

And that’s because it’s not at all uncommon to find the events in these chains breaking down in some way, making it difficult or impossible to complete them, which is why they keep getting patched. And you know this. In fact, they just fixed three more issues blocking the temple events in that zone in the last week and a half. And now players are struggling with a new problem brought on by the updated Orr mob skills.

(edited by Edge.4180)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Enundr.9305

Enundr.9305

(sigh) Unpopular post time.

During GW2’s development, I used to look at those Tequatl and Shatterer event videos and the furthest thing from my mind as I watched their footage was the question of how many times I could farm them a day for rare drops. And yet, now this seems to be the only question on the minds of most players.

I’m sure the community that just wants to be showered in rare and exotic drops will strongly disagree with this, but I really wish Arenanet would just completely remove chest rewards from these open-world boss events altogether. Instead, make the events do something that gives players in the area a reason to beat them, like locking down a portion of the map until they’re defeated, or awarding victors with a buff only applicable to that zone. And then players who are actually adventuring in these zones will have a reason to band together and beat these bosses, no loot-carrot-on-a-stick required.

I would love to see these world events entertaining only a fraction of the crowds they attract now (who are there for all the wrong reasons). I choose quality over quantity every time. This whole loot pinata thing is just ruining the entire sense of adventure this game was supposed to have. I’ll even suggest that it’s introducing elements that are counter to the philosophy of the game. Those bosses are like open-world resources, and we’re now practically competing over them as we fight to see who can out-camp whom, with the loser ending up cursing on an overflow map. And not because we care about the boss or the event, but because we want that loot drop.

Wasn’t this supposed to be the game that moved away from that kind of unpleasant competition?

one reason why some of the they dont do full blown locking down portions of the map (like as in cant even WALK there as well) is some of the big events have a tendancy to randomly bug out (look at Orr events that do this , WPs that are available ALL the time had to get added for players). The concept is great , making sure the events run perfectly all the time to execute the concept doesnt always work out though.

in Suggestions

Edge.4180

You know what they say about assumptions.

You may have noticed that many events which spawn champion mobs, or which spawn a large number of mobs that aren’t killable with just a few people, don’t tend to get completed nearly as often.

And what do they say about assumptions, exactly? Because it sounds like you’re making a few yourself. Are you monitoring all the champion mobs in the world constantly to see if they’re ever being tackled? Most champions can be soloed, or killed by a duo or trio. Just because you pass them by with the thought that they’re “not worth it” doesn’t mean everyone else is.

Time investment not being worthwhile is a factor in whether or not an event gets completed frequently. If you drain all of the rewards from open-world events, you will kill most people’s motivation to run them.

If by “most” you mean “more than half”, then sure.. probably. That is actually the goal, which.. apparently will work, according to you. I think I’ve been pretty open about suggesting there are simply too many players attending these events right now. I would prefer the people participating in these events are there because they’re interested in a challenging and fun event, not a guaranteed rare drop. Everyone in that latter category.. plenty of other things in this game for them to go do.

You spin it like it’s an danger I had not foreseen, when in reality it’s the entire goal I’ve pointed out numerous times.

(edited by Edge.4180)

in Suggestions

critickitten.1498

If by “most” you mean “more than half”, then sure.. probably. That is actually the goal, which.. apparently will work, according to you. I think I’ve been pretty open about suggesting there are simply too many players attending these events right now.

Ah, so your intention is to drive as many players away from the game as possible by making events less rewarding in a game where events are already poorly rewarded?

Okay, glad we’ve established that.

When you put it like that, it’s hard for me to argue. Mostly because it’s clear that arguing is a waste of time.

in Suggestions

Tobias Trueflight.8350

And that’s because it’s not at all uncommon to find the events in these chains breaking down in some way, making it difficult or impossible to complete them, which is why they keep getting patched. And you know this.

I agree Balthazar has lots of issues, owing to the complexity of those events interacting. Right now I have that situation framed in my mind as “why you should be careful about making things too complex”. But!

The other Temples I have rarely seen bugged. I’ve seen Grenth fail a lot but it’s not bugged, just difficult and full of people going “don’t tell me what to do!” in response to “Stay off the stairs! Kill the shades! And don’t stand in the red circles.”

The rest of the list, well, you didn’t respond to them so I can only conclude you conceded them as being valid points.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Suggestions

Edge.4180

If by “most” you mean “more than half”, then sure.. probably. That is actually the goal, which.. apparently will work, according to you. I think I’ve been pretty open about suggesting there are simply too many players attending these events right now.

Ah, so your intention is to drive as many players away from the game as possible by making events less rewarding in a game where events are already poorly rewarded?

So, it is your intention to suggest that, without super-loot from these boss events, many players will leave the game?

I’m not going to retype it all because I already addressed the concern in your question here:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Outdoor-boss-events-shouldn-t-drop-loot/page/2#post1603534

in Suggestions

Edge.4180

The rest of the list, well, you didn’t respond to them so I can only conclude you conceded them as being valid points.

Now who is trying to score points on whom? Didn’t you scold someone twice recently in one of these threads for doing that to you?

No, I didn’t cover the other specific events in your list because I know you’re unable to monitor the status of all of them on your own server 24/7, much less all of the servers, thus making the list rather pointless. The truth is, you have no idea how often those locations are being completed.

Cripes, I have yet to participate in Laughing Gull Island because it has been broken on my server every single time I go by there, and I drop by that zone a lot.

in Suggestions

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Now who is trying to score points on whom? Didn’t you scold someone twice recently in one of these threads for doing that to you?

I did no such thing. And stop trying to score points on me.

Actually, it really wasn’t an attempt to score points. It was a “I’m going to assume you agree with me”. And I put it there in case you didn’t.

No, I didn’t cover the other specific events in your list because I know you’re unable to monitor the status of all of them on your own server 24/7, much less all of the servers, thus making the list rather pointless. The truth is, you have no idea how often those locations are being completed.

No, but I have seen them go untouched for long periods of time. Especially Laughing Gull. And even now Blood Witch is kind of in the “shunning box” due to . . . well, krait, underwater, and champion frustrations.

Cripes, I have yet to participate in Laughing Gull Island because it has been broken on my server every single time I go by there, and I drop by that zone a lot.

The way I understand it, what has to happen is the Risen Captain needs to be killed, the NPCs then need to get off the island before the event starts again from the top. But as I’ve gotten “LOL no” in response to “anyone want to take the Risen Captain?” . . . I just monitor it and sigh.

I spend time in Bloodtide for the Gold Ore and Aquatic Slayer. I need Gold Ore for some things (not Powered Rails, alas) and since there’s a large amount of water with Inquest floating around waiting to be killed . . .
. . . and I hate asura anyway . . .

Three for the price of one.

in Suggestions

critickitten.1498

So, it is your intention to suggest that, without super-loot from these boss events, many players will leave the game?

I’m not going to retype it all because I already addressed the concern in your question here:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Outdoor-boss-events-shouldn-t-drop-loot/page/2#post1603534

No, you gave your assurances that it won’t affect the game that much, because everyone is like you and would be perfectly happy playing events that don’t reward them.

And I’m giving my assurances that it will devastate the game world in terms of participation. Yes, people will always do events regardless, but the number of people like yourself are significantly smaller than the number of people who run events for the sake of getting some form of rewards.

Not everyone will run events in the game world simply because they are good natured people who want to help those poor pixels out of their plight. Some people actually like getting something for their troubles.

Due to a lack of numerical evidence on either side, the logical way to deal with this is to stick with the “null hypothesis”, i.e. the existing model. You don’t change something unless there’s a statistically valid reason to do so and the drawbacks are mitigated. You haven’t shown that there’s a statistically valid reason to make this change, or how the drawbacks will be mitigated. In fact, you’re counting on those drawbacks to take place, so that the game’s population will be significantly smaller, which in your mind “solves the problem”.

And any change which considers a lower game population to be a positive is probably not a good design choice.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kono.5947

Kono.5947

The only problem I have with that is that I don’t really like doing dungeons or fractals a lot, so if I want loot, I turn to world bosses for their chests (or crafting or other means). Point is, without those chests it would kind of handicap some players like me.

Otherwise, it’s not too bad of an idea. Even with the one chest a day thing, I’ll still fight the same bosses a few times(when I have time) just because I like doing it. They’re fun! And the lag would be a lot less if you took out the farmers.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

Regardless if they can monitor it or not. Because Anet put it in (who can monitor such events and has data I presume) and hasn’t removed it, I’m sure they consider this new loot table to be a positive incentive because a lot more people are willing to do it.

If you want to talk about fun, they really need to make it more challenging. IMO, people either want a challenge or good loot, if you have neither, than it’s not worth doing for most people. No, I do not monitor these events 24/7 but from my experience, most of the people who do them are just waiting for a precursor drop anyways and complain about blues/greens even before this loot system was put into place.

I think a solution to your problem would be a way to fix the overflow/dragon lag. I think what you are suggesting is just a knee-jerk reaction to being unable to fight against a dragon due to the high population and you neglect the better solution of just figuring out a way for players to all make the dragon fight and not either lag or be put into overflow.

This was a good thing.

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

(edited by ArcTheFallen.7682)

in Suggestions

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

The fights should be failable, and affect the zone in some oppressive way like a dragon commander showing up would.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in Suggestions

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The fights should be failable, and affect the zone in some oppressive way like a dragon commander showing up would.

TW did something like this in Rift, with their Invasion events. Quest NPC’s would be dead, hubs under enemy mob control, rifts everywhere. Guess what happened? “I can’t turn my quest in… can’t sell my drops… etc.” So the devs changed invasions so they just disappeared after about 20 minutes. Unfortunately, without anything better than DE rewards, you might find that GW2 zones remained conquered until a large-enough guild had enough people who wanted to do zone completion and took it back. You’d also find plenty of people whose motto is, “When the going gets tough, the tough get going to the forums to complain.”

Back on topic…

Another Jormag anecdote. At one time, the elementals and Icebrood had decent drop rates — frankly, better than the chest. At least on my server, I’d see Jormag land behind his wall, and most of the players there would kill the adds instead of actually doing the event.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Because the rest of the game drops nothing…

Nothing? Really? I find it difficult to believe that you have obtained none of your gear outside of open-world meta-event chests.

Before the last patch (Feb) that implemented this, i had not seen a rare in open world in weeks (maybe a month) and i’d had one exotic drop ever in open world…one…in 1700 hours plus, you can say i’m exaggerating but i know the truth of it..

Before this Feb patch i was close to leaving Guildwars 2 because of the terrible drop rates i received, if they had not of implemented this i’d have dumped this game by now..

All my Equipment was earned from Crafting, Token Dungeons and the Trading post. I never got nice loot from chests till this last (Feb) Patch..

I play maybe two hours an evening and usually get at least one rare in that time (assuming I’m actually out killing monsters). But random is random, so there’s that.

However, the fact that you would quit the game over drop rates really tells me you are probably not the kind of player that appreciates a good adventure. Loot is obviously important to you (so important to you that it has caused you to think about leaving the game), and so I doubt anything I say that doesn’t include the phrase “buff drop rate” is not likely to appeal to you. Not trying to be offensive.. that’s just how I see it.

I love a good Adventure, i also like a nice reward at the end of it, that is just me.. i also like progression of my characters..
Not trying to be negative but i do not class MMORPGs in general as good Adventure, Though i did enjoy the Guildwars 1 Adventure a lot, though sadly Guildwars 2 is a loot chasing game..

See the issue is doing it once while new with no rewards is fun (it’s new) doing it repeatedly a hundred times is not fun, and players stop doing it remember Orr a few months ago, yeah dead no pun intended..

I don’t at all see what you propose as a people leaving in droves as an exaggeration how many people do repetitive work for long without a wage every week, a very small percentage i’d say.
Why would anyone do it for entertainment and not move on.. open world without rewards would just end the game, i personally still feel this games loot drops to be atrocious even after the world events fixed, the rest of the game is dull and boring to do, and before you ask why am i here, my friends are here, as well as i live in hope it will be repaired..

(edited by Dante.1508)

in Suggestions

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

TW did something like this in Rift, with their Invasion events. Quest NPC’s would be dead, hubs under enemy mob control, rifts everywhere. Guess what happened? “I can’t turn my quest in… can’t sell my drops… etc.” So the devs changed invasions so they just disappeared after about 20 minutes. Unfortunately, without anything better than DE rewards, you might find that GW2 zones remained conquered until a large-enough guild had enough people who wanted to do zone completion and took it back. You’d also find plenty of people whose motto is, “When the going gets tough, the tough get going to the forums to complain.”

Back on topic…

Another Jormag anecdote. At one time, the elementals and Icebrood had decent drop rates — frankly, better than the chest. At least on my server, I’d see Jormag land behind his wall, and most of the players there would kill the adds instead of actually doing the event.

And in eve Incursions screw over entire constellations. People do them. It’s no undoable. It could be balanced – also you can res the npcs in gw2 if you need one, and the DEs could just have extra dragon minion vet/mob or so leading/buffing them.

Meh I just wish every zone was like orr, hearts are my antithesis.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I’m not a fan of the OP’s idea. In fact, I would prefer the exact opposite: MORE loot for world bosses. I grow tired of games like WoW where all the best loot is attainable only through instances. It’s an old, tired and archaic design that is (luckily) on its way out the door… though slowly and while kicking and screaming the entire way.

All content should produce the same rewards, and no MMO should ever cater to a single type of player. PvPers want good loot? Give it to them. Raiders want good loot? Give it to them. Crafters? Open world event runners? All forms of game play should effectively give out equivalent rewards. This is past the days of kindergarten: we need to learn to share, and not expect everyone to want to play the way WE want to play, and nothing else.

The long time mocked argument of “They don’t WORK as hard -insert whatever the player’s favorite play style is here- in this video game and therefor don’t deserve the same gear” is the perfect example of the type of entitlement mentality that should never be allowed to thrive in a modern day MMO. This isn’t the 1990s, and gamers need to learn to adapt to the changing systems and accept that there are more people, who enjoy doing more things, than just them in the game

(edited by Tolmos.8395)

in Suggestions

Posted by: XxTAFxX.6741

XxTAFxX.6741

Lets get this straight.
ppl play mmo’s to get better gear/loot,they have fun while doing it but it still boils down to getting the best of the best within the game.
If they say they don’t there lieing.
You won’t see anyone one running around in white gear now do you,of course not because they farm to get better gear to get better stats and also sometimes for looks.

Drop rates are a big part of that no matter where they come from,if the drop rate is rubbish in that area,then the area becomes dead.it’s a simple fact.
ppl do raids in wow not because the bosses are fun,because they have a chance of getting better gear,that increases there stats.

Same with ppl in gw 2 doing the same dungeons over and over again,not because they like it because there farming for that dungeon for tokens to get the gear/weapons.
Sometimes for looks rather than stats though.

gw 2 is no different,if the chests dropped greens all the time,many many ppl would not bother doing the event,it’s as simple as that.
(we already seen that before this patch)

Also Edge.4180 you have your opinion,but still many more have a different one.
for instance if i do an event and the reward was rubbish,i would not bother doing it again.
it’s not just me you will find ppl like me will out number ppl like you.
just look at the dragon events now because the rewards are better.
I’m not going to waste little time i have playing this game for rubbish rewards.

My fun is getting the best stuff i can,maybe that’s not your fun,but any mmo i play i play to get the best of the best.
(Even if it just for looks.)

Also having 8 lvl 80’s the chests can soften the blow at times when i need to buy gear for my alts.
or need a load of ectos for crafting.
(but tbh i never farm the dragon events as i cannot be bothered with the lag.)

(edited by XxTAFxX.6741)

in Suggestions

Posted by: lisamee.2408

lisamee.2408

The problem is the lack of loot (items we want) in the open world. If there were more items (that we want) dropping from the open world mobs at a decent rate, the players would not have to be all bunched up at the same few locations. Botting and/or gem shop sales has made all loot drops strickly dictated and controlled gameplay: dungeons, laurels, events.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

Somehow GW2 made it not fun to collect loot, and it’s one of my favorite things to do in games.. it’s why I played Diablo 2 for 10 years. 99% of the things I get are straight vendor trash and if I ever do get an exotic or rare my character can’t use it.

I’m a legendary garbage man.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

in Suggestions

Edge.4180

And any change which considers a lower game population to be a positive is probably not a good design choice.

It’s difficult to take your arguments seriously because you keep making the mistake of equating “lowering open-world boss event participation” to “lowering game population”. Those are not the same thing. And, honestly, I think you keep making that mistake for dramatic effect.

in Suggestions

critickitten.1498

It’s difficult to take your arguments seriously because you keep making the mistake of equating “lowering open-world boss event participation” to “lowering game population”. Those are not the same thing. And, honestly, I think you keep making that mistake for dramatic effect.

When there is only one World Boss per map, yes, they most certainly are the exact same thing. Most people aren’t going to pop into Queensdale just to kill bandits. They go there because they’re a newer player or because they want to kill the Shadow Behemoth. If you make the Shadow Behemoth give no drops, Queensdale will start being a lot more empty as a result, because most people will have nothing to do there. And if the problem exists on every map in the game, then they’re not getting rewarded much at all, and other games start to look an awful lot more appealing.

Your suggestion is basically “let’s make the World Bosses as unappealing as possible so that people won’t play there”. The result of that is that less people will be on most of the world’s maps, they’ll all go back to Orr to farm (or quit altogether, as some have already done). And then you’ll see even more complaining here and across the internet that the world feels emptier because there’s no one on any of the maps.

You’re basically suggesting that we take a flawed system and make it more flawed because you’re tired of getting put into overflow. I’m very sorry to hear that you get personally offended at being stuffed into overflow, but this is a very bad and overworked solution to a very simple problem.

The devs need to make all maps appealing so that players will want to spread out and see more of the world. The best way to do that is to make all maps equally rewarding, not to make them all equally punishing.

in Suggestions

Edge.4180

No, I do not monitor these events 24/7 but from my experience, most of the people who do them are just waiting for a precursor drop anyways and complain about blues/greens even before this loot system was put into place.

And that is a big part of the problem. I said this before: no designer works hard on one of these encounters thinking “I hope players are excited about the loot they might get from this..!”. That’s not the kind of appreciation and respect for the encounter they’re hoping players will have.

I think a solution to your problem would be a way to fix the overflow/dragon lag. I think what you are suggesting is just a knee-jerk reaction to being unable to fight against a dragon due to the high population and you neglect the better solution of just figuring out a way for players to all make the dragon fight and not either lag or be put into overflow.

No, not at all. It’s actually a reaction to seeing upwards of 50 or more players camping these events for hours on end for a guaranteed rare and a chance at an exotic, many cycling through alts and even servers to tag as many of these boss events as possible.

It’s an activity that is consuming many a player’s game time, and anyone should be able to see that this kind of behavior can only be sustained for so long before players begin to loathe it. Nobody is having fun camping these bosses for extended periods and auto-attacking for two minutes once the bosses show up. They do it because they can do it, and in many ways feel that they need to do it because it’s being allowed and they can’t afford to miss out on the drops. Eventually, they will get sick of it, possibly to the point of growing disgusted with even the idea of logging in. And that’s bad for the health of the game.

That’s not even touching on the bad impression these events give to new players. The general consensus amongst the more vocal community seems to be that boss events are laggy loot pinatas. That’s not the message GW2 needs to be getting across.

in Suggestions

Edge.4180

Also having 8 lvl 80’s the chests can soften the blow at times when i need to buy gear for my alts.

What you essentially seem to be saying is this:

1) These boss events are really only good for their loot.
2) You don’t like attending the boss events because you dislike the lag.

And, if accurate, that’s pretty close to what I’ve been stating is the problem with these events, and why fewer players need to be attracted to them. These boss events should not simply be about the loot, nor should they be a laggy mess that nobody enjoys.

One way to solve both of those problems is to remove the loot. Then, people are attending them for reasons other than loot, and they’re not as laggy because they’re not overpopulated (since we all know many people will simply not attend them without the lure of loot).

Fortunately, we don’t need to attract a ton of players to these events to complete them. They can be completed with just a handful of players, and those players that are attending the event are likely to find them a whole lot more enjoyable due to the improved performance and additional tactical options that open up once you remove the auto-attacking zerg.

in Suggestions

Edge.4180

When there is only one World Boss per map, yes, they most certainly are the exact same thing. Most people aren’t going to pop into Queensdale just to kill bandits. They go there because they’re a newer player or because they want to kill the Shadow Behemoth. If you make the Shadow Behemoth give no drops, Queensdale will start being a lot more empty as a result, because most people will have nothing to do there. And if the problem exists on every map in the game, then they’re not getting rewarded much at all, and other games start to look an awful lot more appealing.

I’m sorry, but that’s hilarious. First, we don’t need people “popping into Queensdale” to kill the Shadow Behomth, there are people who are already there because they want to play in Queensdale. Look.. Queensdale was doing just fine before the February patch that changed boss loot, and the Shadow Behemoth was frequently in a broken state and not spawning for days/weeks on end. The recent rush of population to kill him is not doing the Queensdale population any favors.

Who are you kidding? Sure, you’re partly correct when you say there will be a “lot less people”, but you forgot to finish the sentence. It should actually read “There will be a lot less people sitting around like a stump at Shadow Behomoth’s spawn point, tying up map slots that could be used by people who actually want to play in Queensdale.”. To which I say “Yay!”.

You make it sound like this game can not survive without its loot pinatas intact. What in the world were you doing with your playtime prior to the February patch? I can’t imagine how frustrated you must have been prior to leveling your first character up to the point where you could start camping level 80 rare drops. Oh, the nightmare that playing Guild Wars 2 must have been for you.

(edited by Edge.4180)

in Suggestions

critickitten.1498

I’m sorry, but that’s hilarious. First, we don’t need people “popping into Queensdale” to kill the Shadow Behomth, there are people who are already there because they want to play in Queensdale. Look.. Queensdale was doing just fine before the February patch that changed boss loot, and the Shadow Behemoth was frequently in a broken state and not spawning for days/weeks on end. The recent rush of population to kill him is not doing the Queensdale population any favors.

Yes, there were just so many people playing in Queensdale originally. That’s why people were constantly complaining about empty servers and maps. And you want to go back to that.

Thank goodness that the devs have more sense than that, and actually want people to play on every map.

Who are you kidding? Sure, you’re partly correct when you say there will be a “lot less people”, but you forgot to finish the sentence. It should actually read “There will be a lot less people sitting around like a stump at Shadow Behomoth’s spawn point, tying up map slots that could be used by people who actually want to play in Queensdale.”. To which I say “Yay!”.

You do realize that it’s impossible to “tie up a map slot” without actually being at the computer that whole time, right? Because the game client automatically D/Cs anyone who idles in any map for a certain period of time (it’s usually a half hour or so), and so far as I can tell from my own testing of it, flipping through your character menu does not seem to count as “activity”. You have to move or interact with in-game objects to be considered not idle.

So your expressed “problem” of AFKers using up slots isn’t actually there. If you haven’t seen people moving, you haven’t stood there long enough to see if they’re actually standing perfectly still that entire time while their owner is AFK. I guarantee you that they’re not, because they’d D/C if they were.

You make it sound like this game can not survive without its loot pinatas intact. What in the world were you doing with your playtime prior to the February patch? I can’t imagine how frustrated you must have been prior to leveling your first character up to the point where you could start camping level 80 rare drops. Oh, the nightmare that playing Guild Wars 2 must have been for you.

That phrase about assumptions comes to mind again here.

Here, let me make one of my own and you can tell me how close to home this hits:

Your entire thread is a protracted complaint about how the guesting feature keeps pushing you into overflow. So you want to punish people who go to events for loot because they don’t play for fun like you do (never mind the notion that perhaps they consider it fun to gather loot, of course), and so the events are punishing and loot-less, only the people who play the game for fun will be willing to go to those maps, while everyone else will be running instanced content for their loots just like every other MMO out there.

Yeah, really sounds like you know what GW2 is all about.

in Suggestions

Edge.4180

You do realize that it’s impossible to “tie up a map slot” without actually being at the computer that whole time, right? Because the game client automatically D/Cs anyone who idles in any map for a certain period of time (it’s usually a half hour or so), and so far as I can tell from my own testing of it, flipping through your character menu does not seem to count as “activity”. You have to move or interact with in-game objects to be considered not idle.

So your expressed “problem” of AFKers using up slots isn’t actually there. If you haven’t seen people moving, you haven’t stood there long enough to see if they’re actually standing perfectly still that entire time while their owner is AFK. I guarantee you that they’re not, because they’d D/C if they were.

I guess you haven’t considered that since roughly a half hour (is it even that much?) of idle time is allowed, all a player has to do is alt-tab into the game long enough to tap “W” or “S” (assuming those are mapped to your movement keys) every half hour to remain online. So, yes, people can idle just fine.

Whether they are actually doing that, or just standing around actively monitoring the boss spawn and chatting with their friends/guild, they’re not contributing to the activities happening in the zone while they’re parked there, and thus their presence definitely won’t be missed if they’re no longer coming to the zone. You seem to be arguing that the zone will collapse without them, that it will become a wasteland where there aren’t enough hands around to help with events, and that is ridiculous. Because these people camping the events aren’t helping anyone beyond themselves.

Here, let me make one of my own and you can tell me how close to home this hits:

Your entire thread is a protracted complaint about how the guesting feature keeps pushing you into overflow. So you want to punish people who go to events for loot because they don’t play for fun like you do (never mind the notion that perhaps they consider it fun to gather loot, of course), and so the events are punishing and loot-less, only the people who play the game for fun will be willing to go to those maps, while everyone else will be running instanced content for their loots just like every other MMO out there.

No, sorry. If you actually want to know what my entire thread is about, read the first post in it. No speculating required; I laid it out pretty plainly. I even predicted the response I would get and what kind of players would be opposed to it.

It’s like magic.

in Suggestions

critickitten.1498

I guess you haven’t considered that since roughly a half hour (is it even that much?) of idle time is allowed, all a player has to do is alt-tab into the game long enough to tap “W” or “S” (assuming those are mapped to your movement keys) every half hour to remain online. So, yes, people can idle just fine.

Psst. It’s not actually idling if they have to regularly “check in” and move their character a little to be considered active. That means they have to be at the computer and checking the window regularly to stay logged in. Sorta the opposite of what an idle player does.

Whether they are actually doing that, or just standing around actively monitoring the boss spawn and chatting with their friends/guild, they’re not contributing to the activities happening in the zone while they’re parked there, and thus their presence definitely won’t be missed if they’re no longer coming to the zone. You seem to be arguing that the zone will collapse without them, that it will become a wasteland where there aren’t enough hands around to help with events, and that is ridiculous. Because these people camping the events aren’t helping anyone beyond themselves.

I’m arguing that the maps will be nearly empty without that regular influx of people, yes.

And judging from the responses in this thread being overwhelmingly against your idea, I’m probably right.

No, sorry. If you actually want to know what my entire thread is about, read the first post in it. No speculating required; I laid it out pretty plainly. I even predicted the response I would get and what kind of players would be opposed to it.

It’s like magic.

Ah, but that’s clearly not what you made the thread about. Your arguments make that rather clear. You’re sick of being put into an overflow because of all these people that you perceive as “useless” eating up your slots. You don’t like how you can’t play the event because other people got there before you and are (in your opinion) “camping” the location for loot. Even though the newest patch makes it impossible to camp the bosses because they’re limited to one chest per day.

Unfortunately for you, you’re a minority, as this thread has clearly shown. This is a bad idea that makes the game significantly worse, and when even the people who regularly go out of their way to disagree with me on anything I say in this forum are actually agreeing with me on this, you should know that you’re wrong.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tim.9850

Tim.9850

I sure hope Arenanet doesn’t remove the loot like this thread suggests. They will lose many customers if they do.

The lag for me was MUCH better when I played yesterday. I had no lag at all in any of the events. There were just as many people playing in them also.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

A better solution is to make open world and instances drop the same chest, that way if people are looking for loot they have a choice, rather than there being a single clearly superior method. Of course things will need to be adjusted.

• They’ll need to up the difficulty of the SB, FE, and JW world bosses, otherwise farming them will still be superior because the spawn window is shorter as is the fight. These guys seriously go down in less than 20 seconds with only a dozen or so 80s on them and they spawn every half hour.
  • They’ll also need to shorten the spawn window of the dragons and other world bosses, people aren’t going to wait around an hour and half for a chest that they could get in a 30 minute dungeon run.
  • In some dungeon paths ninety percent of the content can be skipped, this needs to be fixed. All explorable paths need to be adjusted to provide the same reward as a meta event, but take a similar amount of time. I think 30-45 minutes is a good place to set the bar.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

in Suggestions

Edge.4180

Psst. It’s not actually idling if they have to regularly “check in” and move their character a little to be considered active. That means they have to be at the computer and checking the window regularly to stay logged in. Sorta the opposite of what an idle player does.

Perhaps you should explain to everyone the exact amount of time a player has to be inactive in the game before you consider applying the label “idle” to them.

I’m arguing that the maps will be nearly empty without that regular influx of people, yes.

And judging from the responses in this thread being overwhelmingly against your idea, I’m probably right.

If, by “nearly empty”, you mean fewer people doing nothing but standing around at the boss spawn point waiting for the event to start, and in no way making any contribution to the zone.. then yes.

It’s like magic.

Ah, but that’s clearly not what you made the thread about. Your arguments make that rather clear. You’re sick of being put into an overflow because of all these people that you perceive as “useless” eating up your slots. You don’t like how you can’t play the event because other people got there before you and are (in your opinion) “camping” the location for loot. Even though the newest patch makes it impossible to camp the bosses because they’re limited to one chest per day.

Can you point out the post in this thread where I said I was sick of being put into overflow? Sure, I imagine most people picked their server for a reason and prefer to play on it. But I think I’ve been pretty clear with my agenda in this thread and have not been rattling off complaints in it about “being sick of being put into overflow”. You seem to want it to be about that, though. Maybe you just feel that’s an easier position to attack. (shrug)

As for the rest, what you wrote:

Unfortunately for you, you’re a minority, as this thread has clearly shown. This is a bad idea that makes the game significantly worse, and when even the people who regularly go out of their way to disagree with me on anything I say in this forum are actually agreeing with me on this, you should know that you’re wrong.

What I wrote umpteen posts again at the very start, before this thread had an opportunity to show anything:

(sigh) Unpopular post time.

I’m sure the community that just wants to be showered in rare and exotic drops will strongly disagree with this, but I really wish Arenanet would just completely remove chest rewards from these open-world boss events altogether.

As you can see, there are no revelations here (although you seem to be under the impression that you’re pointing one out). I am very much not surprised that people would object to an opinion that essentially results in “rarer” loot being less easy/convenient to obtain. I’m more likely to find plenty of players who think we actually deserve more loot even more easily than we can get it now. That doesn’t mean it’s a smart idea. That’s just the nature of the entitlement crowd.

(edited by Edge.4180)

in Suggestions

Posted by: XxTAFxX.6741

XxTAFxX.6741

What you essentially seem to be saying is this:

1) These boss events are really only good for their loot.
2) You don’t like attending the boss events because you dislike the lag.

And, if accurate, that’s pretty close to what I’ve been stating is the problem with these events, and why fewer players need to be attracted to them. These boss events should not simply be about the loot, nor should they be a laggy mess that nobody enjoys.

One way to solve both of those problems is to remove the loot. Then, people are attending them for reasons other than loot, and they’re not as laggy because they’re not overpopulated (since we all know many people will simply not attend them without the lure of loot).

Fortunately, we don’t need to attract a ton of players to these events to complete them. They can be completed with just a handful of players, and those players that are attending the event are likely to find them a whole lot more enjoyable due to the improved performance and additional tactical options that open up once you remove the auto-attacking zerg.

What i’m saying is take away the loot and it affects all dynamic events with chests.
not just the dragons.
Hence why mel and grenth gets done quite often now,where before they did not get done at all,unless a big guild wanted some karma gear from there.

I would not bother doing mel or grenth because the rewards would be rubbish.
now i do them most of the time.

So anet has done the right thing,the only thing they should do is make it so you only get one rare rather than able to get 2 or 3 sometimes.

As for the lag on dragons,that was happing way before the loot change anyway,so that’s why i never bothered to do them.
So that had nothing to do with the big zergs now.

(edited by XxTAFxX.6741)

in Suggestions

critickitten.1498

Perhaps you should explain to everyone the exact amount of time a player has to be inactive in the game before you consider applying the label “idle” to them.

To be considered “idle”, you have to do nothing. Yet having to regularly tab back to the window and perform some movement is not fulfilling the act of “idling”.

If, by “nearly empty”, you mean fewer people doing nothing but standing around at the boss spawn point waiting for the event to start, and in no way making any contribution to the zone.. then yes.

And I notice that you didn’t respond to my point that it’s impossible to camp a World Boss due to the one-per-day limit. They’d have to leave the zone to hit it on their alts, which frees up slots. Your “problem” does not exist.

Can you point out the post in this thread where I said I was sick of being put into overflow? Sure, I imagine most people picked their server for a reason and prefer to play on it. But I think I’ve been pretty clear with my agenda in this thread and have not been rattling off complaints in it about “being sick of being put into overflow”. You seem to want it to be about that, though. Maybe you just feel that’s an easier position to attack. (shrug)

Or maybe because that’s actually your motivation, as revealed by the contents of your posts and the way you present your points.

You’ve outright said in multiple posts now that you feel there is a problem with a bunch of people standing around in zone maps “wasting” slots. But this would only be considered a “waste” of slots from the perspective of someone who feels that they are more entitled to that slot than the “idling” player. The only way you can possibly brandish this as a “problem” is if you consider the overflow situation to be a “problem”. So, yes, you clearly do care about the fact that you’re being bumped into overflow, or this thread would not exist.

Please, if you refuse to be honest with the rest of us, at least be honest with yourself.

As you can see, there are no revelations here (although you seem to be under the impression that you’re pointing one out). I am very much not surprised that people would object to an opinion that essentially results in “rarer” loot being less easy/convenient to obtain. I’m more likely to find plenty of players who think we actually deserve more loot even more easily than we can get it now. That doesn’t mean it’s a smart idea. That’s just the nature of the entitlement crowd.

Ah, so it’s everyone else who is entitled because they disagree with you.

The person who is pitching a heavily disliked idea that would significantly worsen the game simply so that he can avoid overflows is clearly less entitled than the majority of players who are just seeking to get some good loot for their play time.

Sound argument you’ve got there.

in Suggestions

IndigoSundown.5419

I don’t believe that better chest loot was put in to make people go to otherwise under-utilized zones.

• There are under-utilized zones with no chest events.
  • Chest events encompass a small fraction of the area of the zone; players coming to a zone only for a chest provide little impact on the “feeling” that a zone is thriving.
  • Another mechanism was put in to address zone emptiness, area focused dailies.

Chest loot was increased to address a different problem. As much as ANet likes singular solutions that address multiple problems, chest loot was increased to address complaints about loot, not complaints about zone population.

in Suggestions

Edge.4180

Critickitten, for the sake of the discussion in this thread, this is the last time I’m going to humor you with a response. Going back and forth with you on these strawman attacks of yours are bloating the thread unnecessarily. And at this point I think you’re just trying to derail it intentionally, which I will not have a hand in.

Whether you agree or not, characters are idle when they’re standing around waiting for 30-60 minutes or more for a boss to spawn. When I refer to “taking up space”, I’m not talking about other people waiting in line to camp the boss, I’m specifically talking about space that could be used by players who simply have a desire to adventure in that zone. I’m mentioning this because you’re trying to argue that removing these “boss campers” will actually hurt the zone, an argument which is difficult to take seriously when most of the time these idle campers are not helping the zone in any shape, way or form.

If anything, they are actually causing harm. For example, when a new player (or new character) arrives in Queensdale to adventure and ends up on an overflow server because thirty to fifty or more slots are being tied up by players who are standing around in the swamp spending 30-60 minutes out of every 2 hour spawn cycle camping the Behemoth, these new players/characters are being separated from their chosen community to make room for loot farmers. That’s not a good enough reason. It’s not good for the player, and it’s not good for his home server. It may be good for you and your loot stash, however.

There is much more to this topic than the potential problems of overflow (which has its own threads on this forum), and those points have been detailed from the start, but it’s ridiculous to expect it won’t get mentioned when you’re putting forth nonsensical statements implying that these zones can’t function without campers who aren’t contributing anything to the zone besides a body count that causes it to reach maximum occupancy sooner rather than later. That is the extent of the overflow argument as far as it pertains to the topic of this thread. And anything you’re reading beyond that is a product of your own imagination.

in Suggestions

Edge.4180

What i’m saying is take away the loot and it affects all dynamic events with chests.
not just the dragons.
Hence why mel and grenth gets done quite often now,where before they did not get done at all,unless a big guild wanted some karma gear from there.

I would not bother doing mel or grenth because the rewards would be rubbish.
now i do them most of the time.

So anet has done the right thing,the only thing they should do is make it so you only get one rare rather than able to get 2 or 3 sometimes.

As for the lag on dragons,that was happing way before the loot change anyway,so that’s why i never bothered to do them.
So that had nothing to do with the big zergs now.

However, those big zergs are only making the performance issues (and fun experience) worse, not better. And the number of people participating in them has only grown since the loot changes.

I actually don’t have a problem with temple events having treasure chest rewards. They are difficult events compared to some of these other encounters we’ve been using as examples in these thread, they’re difficult to camp because they’re less predictable (and my problem with camping is that people doing it excessively aren’t contributing to the zone), and a lot of effort is required to conquer them.

For those reasons, they’re less popular. And maybe that’s all we need to fix the other events (like the Behemoth, Shatterer, Tequatl, Maw, etc).. but let’s be clear about this: whether it’s applying that formula or removing chest loot.. the goal is to make the events I just mentioned less popular, because right now they’re too popular for their own good, and for all the wrong reasons (the rewards are ridiculously out of balance with the risk).

According to some people in this thread, any kind of fix that corrects that balance can not happen without the universe (or at least this game) imploding. I disagree.

in Suggestions

Edge.4180

I don’t believe that better chest loot was put in to make people go to otherwise under-utilized zones.

• There are under-utilized zones with no chest events.
  • Chest events encompass a small fraction of the area of the zone; players coming to a zone only for a chest provide little impact on the “feeling” that a zone is thriving.
  • Another mechanism was put in to address zone emptiness, area focused dailies.

Chest loot was increased to address a different problem. As much as ANet likes singular solutions that address multiple problems, chest loot was increased to address complaints about loot, not complaints about zone population.

I agree with this. In fact, between just the Shatterer, Tequatl, the Maw, and the Shadow Behemoth alone, there are more than 44,000 rare or better items being generated each day on the U.S. servers. And that’s just a handful of events with very generous calculations (for example, it only assumes there are 25 people at each of those event, and anyone who has been attending them recently knows there are far more than that present).

And that’s only, what.. 4 out of 15 (?) outdoor bosses that drop a guaranteed rare now? Thing in, if getting better loot out to the masses is really the goal, there are other ways to do that while still reducing the popularity of these boss events. Even just tweaking the drop rates on normal mobs can give us the same results, without ruining (what are supposed to be) some pretty cool boss events in the process. Might even lure some more max-level players out to Orr or Southsun.

Of course, that means players just can’t obtain tons of loot with minimal effort (something we shouldn’t be able to do anyway).. they actually have to work for it, and the entitlement crowd is likely to be against even that.

(edited by Edge.4180)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rift.4179

Rift.4179

I like your idea of locking off a portion of the map until a boss is defeated, but however I can see the problem of motivation being that there has to be something desirable after that. Which in turn would lead to another boss or some kind of chest/reward otherwise there is no endgame goal to that first boss event, thats kind of how chain events work but without the map being locked off. Your saying these zergs and dragon events are too easy and not fun but then on the flipside if barely anybody shows up then its too hard and not fun. You can’t please everybody all the time.

I think part of the problem is you have timers dedicated to countdown exactly when these mega events occur and thus draw the large crowds, if there were more high lvl boss events throughout the game would that still occur as much? Its easy to look at 7 high lvl chests are and decide where to go, and then subsequently do them all, but what if there was 20-30 one for each map? Obviously drops would have to be reduced otherwise you would have nutters doing them all, but the average person would not have time to do them all, and thus have to pick and choose which they want to do. Imo what we could really use is new map content; whole new areas like 3 or 4 more zones, each with new meta events and bosses. I think that would be awesome but is probably just a pipe dream.

in Suggestions

IndigoSundown.5419

I actually don’t have a problem with temple events having treasure chest rewards. They are difficult events compared to some of these other encounters we’ve been using as examples in these thread, they’re difficult to camp because they’re less predictable (and my problem with camping is that people doing it excessively aren’t contributing to the zone), and a lot of effort is required to conquer them.

For those reasons, they’re less popular. And maybe that’s all we need to fix the other events (like the Behemoth, Shatterer, Tequatl, Maw, etc).. but let’s be clear about this: whether it’s applying that formula or removing chest loot.. the goal is to make the events I just mentioned less popular, because right now they’re too popular for their own good, and for all the wrong reasons (the rewards are ridiculously out of balance with the risk).

According to some people in this thread, any kind of fix that corrects that balance can not happen without the universe (or at least this game) imploding. I disagree.

I remember the Maw event in the BWE’s. There were twice as many people as I see doing them now, even with the chest loot increase. The event lasted longer, was more challenging and was frankly more fun.

I find the Orr Meta-events to be more engaging than any other PvE content in GW2. ANet could do worse in examining what they did right there, and as they revamp existing content, applying those lessons.

in Suggestions

critickitten.1498

Critickitten, for the sake of the discussion in this thread, this is the last time I’m going to humor you with a response. Going back and forth with you on these strawman attacks of yours are bloating the thread unnecessarily. And at this point I think you’re just trying to derail it intentionally, which I will not have a hand in.

Ha, what discussion?

You’ve spent the bulk of this thread ignoring other people’s perfectly valid complaints about your idea, mine included, because you’re dead set on punishing this illusory pack of “spawn campers” who are apparently ruining all of the fun in the game everywhere because they’re nasty and mean. All so that you don’t get stuck in overflow.

I expect the developers to completely ignore this idea. It’s completely counterproductive. The devs implemented the guaranteed rare because people weren’t playing these events as much, and they wanted to get people out into the world. They knew there would be a traffic problem, so they placed a one-per-day limit on each chest already. There is no way for a person to “camp” a boss all day and keep getting drops as you are claiming, so even if there are campers, they can’t get any rewards from running it again. Your alleged problem does not exist. It’s a fiction.

And frankly, the guaranteed rare is a step towards a better game world. Traffic for those events have shot up tremendously, yes possibly too much so, but they want people to visit these events and play them on a regular basis. They’re not trying to drive people into the dungeons. And now that they’ve made those events properly rewarding, they can start working on making the events more challenging, and introducing even more World Bosses with similar loot.

Your idea is a step towards an empty game world, the opposite of what the devs want. I’m pretty sure they’re not going to go so far as to strip all loot from the most active portions of the game, no matter how much you complain, because they don’t want to drive away even more of their players. While I don’t trust everything the devs say or do, this is one area where I’m willing to trust that the devs will not implement a radical idea like this. Nor should they.

(edited by critickitten.1498)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I sure hope Arenanet doesn’t remove the loot like this thread suggests. They will lose many customers if they do.

The lag for me was MUCH better when I played yesterday. I had no lag at all in any of the events. There were just as many people playing in them also.

Agreed. Luckily, based on both replies to this thread and basic common sense, it’s pretty easy to see that it would never happen. No game company would purposefully hurt their game’s population by trying to kill an entire play style and funnel even more people into a single play style they might not even like.

Games have lately been moving in the direction of spreading loot across MORE gameplay types, not less, and I’m happy to say there is no reason to think this will change any time soon.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shadow Blade.1324

Shadow Blade.1324

Whether you agree or not, characters are idle when they’re standing around waiting for 30-60 minutes or more for a boss to spawn. When I refer to “taking up space”, I’m not talking about other people waiting in line to camp the boss, I’m specifically talking about space that could be used by players who simply have a desire to adventure in that zone. I’m mentioning this because you’re trying to argue that removing these “boss campers” will actually hurt the zone, an argument which is difficult to take seriously when most of the time these idle campers are not helping the zone in any shape, way or form.

not sure i understand what your trying to argue. new players in an overflow not playing to do that event and just adventure can do so in the overflow with no problems, in fact they have a better experience because there are less players zerging events. the whole community argument is BS as their friends can join them in the overflow and you can guest on any server ergo communities are cross server anyway, additionally you get dropped in overflow even when there are no big events going on or in LA. due to population numbers.

i wish the devs had a consistent vision and didn’t push out content they know is flawed

in Suggestions

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

Because the rest of the game drops nothing…

Nothing? Really? I find it difficult to believe that you have obtained none of your gear outside of open-world meta-event chests.

Since the patch I have gotten two piles of vial essence…these were the only two rares. The rest was 1/4 if not 1/3 junk/nothing, much less greens, fairly the same number of blues and whites and slightly more recyclable items.

The only way to get rares/exotics now is to do dragons and/or meta-events.

Loot has not been improved – it was reshuffled.

/FF

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

in Suggestions

Posted by: LOCO.1785

LOCO.1785

At first, I thought the change was great.

Now I see how horrible it’s become. Even if I wanted to farm these events it’s a giant pain in the anus.

‘Oh Shatterer is up, go to WP, chucked in overflow’.

GG

in Suggestions

Posted by: Riaky.8965

Riaky.8965

I don’t have problem with world bosses drop decent loots but the bosses are too boring. Anet should redesign the fight and make it more challenging.