Simple way to help deter 'botting'

in Suggestions

Posted by: Binx.4610

Binx.4610

If someone is reported by any player for being a bot they have a capcha popup to verify they are a real person. If they fail it they are kicked out of the game and unable to log in for 30 minutes. If they succeed they wont be forced to do another capcha if reported for an hour or two.

If they log back on after their half hour ban and are reported again and fail again the lockout time will extend to 1 hour, 6 hours, and then to 24 hours.

There you can now get rid of diminishing returns outside of dungeons.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Binx.4610

Binx.4610

I suppose a botter could also purposefully report himself then do the code before activating the automated portion, so it may be worthwhile to have it be possible to force a single capcha with enough reports, at worst if you guys detect several reports you can see if it is a bot.

in Suggestions

Posted by: VakarisJ.5619

VakarisJ.5619

Cha! I had almost the same idea… My thread is just a few centimeters away.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Illiander.8049

Illiander.8049

Been suggested lots before, and in much better ways. The general problem is this :

So you’re in the middle of a dungeon, and I know this, and I don’t like you. I report you for botting, you get this captcha in the middle of a fight and die while fighting the UI to enter the captcha. I get a little clock next to my computer and do this every hour, on the hour if I’m feeling really mean.

If the captcha-free time can be reduced by number of reports, I will get everone in my guild to do the same. You will be unable to play due to constantly having to enter captchas.

The botters will automate entering the captcha and will be completely uneffected by it : They can set their bots up to post the captcha to them whenever one needs entering, and then they sit there running 300 bots at the same time, and spend their time entering captchas, or using social engineering or money to get someone else to solve them instead.

tl;dr:
Reports=>"Player enters a captcha" is security theater.

Playing on Gentoo.

in Suggestions

Posted by: VakarisJ.5619

VakarisJ.5619

That’s why, I think my version of the idea was better, due to added flexibility – mine doesn’t have a specific trigger, it may activate whenever the character is free from fighting, isn’t AFK, etc.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Dealing-with-bots-in-the-simplest-way-possible/first#post294695
In case of dungeons, where mobs constantly roll at you without pause, it may be pretty simple to detect bots in that regard, because they won’t be trying to advance through the dungeon, they’ll likely stand in one spot with their skills on a macro.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gynxz.4079

Gynxz.4079

how big of a threat are bots in dungeons?

Just have the Capcha appear if you get reported 5-10 times.
And for the people about to go “yeah but then they…..” there’s IS NOT A 100% BOT FREE SOLUTION, JUST WAYS TO MAKE IT HARDER. Stop complaining about every suggestion just because its not 100% effective.