So... Completed the game...

in Suggestions

Posted by: Camp Axing Fink.7503

Camp Axing Fink.7503

Well I posted in the thread but I feel it won’t be noticed there although some people already mentioned it.

“Gw2 is not about grinding and farming” – Anet (sorry if not 100% accurate)
Well, the process of leveling to 80 through the story quests and hearts and things like that was AWESOME. nice story quest nice dragon kills (Claw, Tequilla aka Sunless, Shatterer and ofc Zhaitan himself)

After reaching to 80, I thought to myself “Well I should get some kicka** armor and weapons”. Prices wasn’t too bad.
But, after playing some weeks of constant map exploration and dungeons on different paths I got really bored. One day I just played, went thru Shatterer Tequilla and Claw and got back to Shatterer again and didn’t got even one green, not to mention yellows at all. No other way to make money but grinding and farming my a** off in dungeons and dragons every day? I have my all set with “Magic Find” and i can say “Money well spent”… I found myself few last days I just log into the game and minimize it to listen music, internet friends and stuff like that. I don’t want the game to be in the back ground, I wanna play but I realize if I go back I’ll have to grind my self to death or to start a new character (although I want to complete my first one with at least exotic set and some cool skins) I have time but not money for gem->gold stuff but it’s just way to boring to grind 20-30 gold for full exotic set + more 100 gold~ something like that for skins, and i’m type of Pve guide but for me grinding and farming isn’t Pve… it’s just crap…

Please find a solution to this problem. I saw a lot of people like suggesting lvl 80 prestige when you’re “Level 1 again” and do all the story again but with all the traits and weapons, skills and do the story again or increase of lvl 80’s chance of rarer loot than lower levels
I dunno… People will say it’s OK NOW and it’s easy but still… everyday, dungeon after dungeon, path after path, dragon after dragon, day after day, again and again and again till you got some cool stuff…

Truth be told, I loved playing until level 80 in the story quests with my friend everything is different, monsters, places, never knew what’s next.

Please Anet, take this into consideration, I want (and I guess some other people too) that the exciting gameplay til 80 will still be exciting after 80, and not grinding and farming.
Sorry for the long post.

(edited by Camp Axing Fink.7503)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Thrash.3684

Thrash.3684

Easy work gets you nowhere, everything in life is hard. It seems that you haven’t done the dungeons in explorer mode; if you do them all you get 60 tokens and with those tokens you can get exotic armours and weapons. The problem isn’t the grind; every game has a grind, it’s that you’re got level 80 and thought “Where is my big reward?” well that’s wrong you still need to play through the end game content.

I’m a level 80 Warrior with full exotic gear and i still manage to have fun doing dungeons and collecting materials for my future legendary weapon. I have a lower set with magic find on it, but i’m still yet to try out a more tanky build of character. I’ve never had a set of toughness/vitality and i want to try it out.

I also have the option of doing WvW and that’s always a lot of fun. There are also the jumping puzzles you can do, work on crafting professions, and if you’re like me, work on maxing out your achievements. There are other dynamic events to do that yeild a chest like Claw of Jormag etc. If you treat the game as a grind fest you’ll end up bored.

The game isn’t over until you’ve got everything and done everything. Getting level 80 is like 1/10th of the game.

Sanctum of Rall

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rehk.6574

Rehk.6574

agree with thrash. If its not fun for you, dont play. its simple. Sounds like you need to strive for a better balance in your life. Moderation in all things will make it so that you enjoy what you do, when you do it. If you dont, then move on to something you do.

Find Balance.

in Suggestions

Posted by: DKP.4196

DKP.4196

Wait for new content. Log in, do some stuff, log out wait for content. Works fine with me.

Keep trying, or die trying. Never give up, never forgive. We will Desolate. – Desolation
Not A Message.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bahamadude.4925

Bahamadude.4925

this is why i always suggest to people to limit their amount of time playing the game. everyone is so quick to rush to level 80 and when they get there they QQ about there being nothing to do. In this case, there may stil be more to do as thrash pointed out. in addition, even when all those things are completed, i would think that since this is an mmorpg one could still have fun by meeting new people.

Treat this game, or any mmorpg for that matter, as a race to level cap can and WILL result in you getting bored quick.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

Halloween is coming up, then after that is Wintersday, New Years, maybe something for Valentines, and who knows what truly original holidays that exist in Tyria they’ve come up with for the future – I really hope they have some original ones that weren’t just copy & pasted from Earth.

And they’re adding new content this week anyway, so there’s plenty of stuff to do. Just slow down and enjoy the experience, patience is the greatest strength of a gamer.

Attachments:

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hydrophidian.4319

Hydrophidian.4319

Please find a solution to this problem. I saw a lot of people like suggesting lvl 80 prestige when you’re “Level 1 again” and do all the story again but with all the traits and weapons, skills and do the story again or increase of lvl 80’s chance of rarer loot than lower levels

I think finding a way to get more mileage out of the story content is a good idea. There’s replay value there that isn’t being utilized. While I find the writing uneven, there are a lot of missions wherein the gameplay is really fun. There are quite a few I’d go back and play again, if I could. I also wouldn’t mind the option to play through the paths I didn’t initially select.

As for grind, as a matter of personal policy I just don’t do it. When something stops being fun for me, I move on to something else; I will not “work” in a game. It’s my hope that GW2 has enough going on to keep me occupied for a while (I haven’t even touched WvW yet, for example).

However, if I ever find myself in a position like the one you’re in, I’ll just go find something else to do until the content is expanded upon.

We jumped on board early, and the downside of that is a higher likelihood of thumb twiddling. The content will come and no one wants it to be buggy and slapdash. We just have to be patient.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

What I say even the idea of ANet to say "“Gw2 is not about grinding and farming”, is a good one.

But the fact it’s the gam e now for who completed already story/lvl 80, etc… It’s Grinding and Farming, and I see that ALOT, what is also messing with the game economy already.

If ANet really want to make this game about fun and not about grinding and farming (after you completed the story/cap/map/dungeons) they must do something.

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

in Suggestions

Bahamadude.4925

^ In my opinion, all mmorpgs are about grinding and farming. Don’t be fooled by what Anet said. As long as the system of leveling up exists, the mmorpg genre will always be about killing things until you’re strong enough to move on the the next area.

As for content, i said it before and i’ll say it again, content takes time. the fastest mmorpg that i know of that gives new expansions is EVE and even they take 6 months to go live. Give GW2 time it will get better.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bonzoso.7014

Bonzoso.7014

this is why i always suggest to people to limit their amount of time playing the game. everyone is so quick to rush to level 80 and when they get there they QQ about there being nothing to do. In this case, there may stil be more to do as thrash pointed out. in addition, even when all those things are completed, i would think that since this is an mmorpg one could still have fun by meeting new people.

Treat this game, or any mmorpg for that matter, as a race to level cap can and WILL result in you getting bored quick.

I think the PvE game begins to show its faults as you reach the middle levels, actually. Once you reach the point where you’ve long since learned all your weapon skills, can only learn a new utility skill every 5+ levels, and have pretty much settled into the build that suits you, the typically satisfying and rewarding nature of leveling is gone. Combine that with the sometimes completely unnoticeable upgrades in gear and the recycled gear graphics, and it’s pretty rare for me to feel excited about my character growing in power.

I understand where people are coming from when then defend the game by arguing that the only reward people should be looking for when they log in to play a game is to have fun, but for a lot of people, being rewarded is part of the fun! Anyway, the game has now been out for just about two months. Even though I’m barely halfway to the level cap, myself, I’d say that we’re past the statute of limitations for claiming people who are level 80 “rushed” to it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Floryn.6307

Floryn.6307

You are not alone, hopefully they will revitalize the game soon, here are some similar opinions: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/64739-kind-of-getting-bored-already/

My summary can be found there somewhere also.

Long story short: some of the revolutionary core mechanics are now backfiring.

Band of BrothersMore than a guild, more than a team

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nappychappy.7046

Nappychappy.7046

IMO I think the game is in for some bad times, especially since they are dumping resources into more PvP, I mean a lot of people really like PvP I know I do, but there is already a lot to do in PvP where as PvE falls flat on its face. I don’t know what they were thinking, 1 level 80 zone? Yes we can go back and do low level content, but we also take a hit in the reward department and you know all us mmo players are after rewards. We can’t get stronger, so we are going to try and look different at least right? All the different temples in Orr and a game about the cosmedics makes all the gear look the same and only changes the stats? All the same items in the gem store for about 2 months now. Kill a big bad dragon, random world boss, or champion? They either drop nothing, or vendor trash ~ exciting ~ there is nothing to keep players going unless it’s dungeons, or PvP, to be honest, it would be nice not being stuck in dungeons or pvp for the next six-plus years… Fix this dynamic thing that was supposed to be something great.

You are using 21 of 100 infractions ermm, PMs.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Efaicia.3672

Efaicia.3672

I wonder if you look at the map and the land surounding the explorable areas. You may have completed the map so far, but there is more to come.
The PvE in this game is about exploration, not a hamster wheel. If you have the map completed good for you, but sounds more like you got to max lvl then got bored and forgot about the game. shrug To each their own.

I have been 80 for a good while, full exotics, map at 98% and still haven’t done all the explorables in the dungeons. More to do, no pressure though about how fast they get done, that is what the removal of the hamster wheel has done. I am not forced to play else I fall behind. I can REALLY take it at my own pace, which is an amazing feeling.

in Suggestions

Posted by: drwookie.6391

drwookie.6391

In my opinion grinding and farming is a state of mind, not an actual thing in an memo. E game becomes a grind when you start to do something repeatedly because you want some end goal. That is your choice.

Personally the game became MORE fun and less Grundy for me at top level. I known that the difference between my gear and all exotics is small, and in WVW I don’t notice. I play how I want and I’m really enjoying it. I make money doing what is fun for me, and with that money I slowly buy gear.

If inlay a dungeon it is not to grind little tokens over and over again. I do it because I like the dungeon.

I know everyone is different, I guess I’m just saying try changing your state of mind. It might help? It sounds like you really enjoy the game so maybe stop doing things with the goal of gear, and start doing them for fun and see the gear as kind of a side project.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nappychappy.7046

Nappychappy.7046

If PvE was all about exploring, why would have ANet put all that work into Dynamic Events? Seems silly to me.

You are using 21 of 100 infractions ermm, PMs.

in Suggestions

Camp Axing Fink.7503

Well I’ll try to reply to everyone…
Trash – I haven’t played dungeons and you say 60 tokens enough for exotic set? it seems like you haven’t played because whole set of armor is 1200~ plus you have to buy weapon (390 minimum) it means you have to have to GRIND the same dungeon till you get 1590 tokens…. minimum. That means you have to play the same dungeon for 9 days everyday completing ALL 3 PATHS, “not grinding” at all and so much fun repeating it so many times while money rewards most of the time and some can relate to that – sucks.

DKP – sounds good for me

Bahamadude – I didn’t rushed as I said, just played with friends thru story, very interesting and never knew what’s next which is fun and exciting but that ended to quickly

Lil Puppy – As one who plays sniper a lot in Battlefield 3 believe me I have Patience :P

Hydrophidian – Totally agree

Max Lexandre – Exactly

Bahamadude – “Don’t be fooled by what Anet said”. Well man, as one who worked in Office Depot, fooling your customers and telling them lies is against the law and they could sue us for that… So, that means I can now sue Anet for false product? For lying to the customers? And of course new content take time but is rising up little up the cash making is that hard? or any other idea people said before?

Bonzoso – Every word you said is true and precise. “recycled gear graphics” – I love you.
“being rewarded is part of the fun!” That’s exactly what I think, good example is Borderlands 1.

Well, I understand people who try to defend the game, but it is very stupid not considering facts. People say “for me it’s fun to strive forward blah blah achieve everything” BUT the true fact is they are still grinding and farming. People who love grinding their a**es off go ahead you have 8 dungeons with 3 paths each, go grind yourself to death, but don’t ignore people who don’t love it. It’s just stupid thing of you to do.

(edited by Camp Axing Fink.7503)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rukh.9287

Rukh.9287

its interesting to me how everybody’s idea of how to make this game better seems to be play other games instead.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bonzoso.7014

Bonzoso.7014

its interesting to me how everybody’s idea of how to make this game better seems to be play other games instead.

I think it’s pretty noticeable on the forums that some players have given up suggestions and discussions over the game’s future because they’re under the impression that ArenaNet is either a) not listening, or b) doesn’t care. There are so many repeated feature requests that have either not been addressed or been outright denied, and so many threads locked when they turned critical or when a moderator simply felt like it went on too long. I get the impression that a lot of players are walking on eggshells here.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nimiar.3509

Nimiar.3509

^ In my opinion, all mmorpgs are about grinding and farming. Don’t be fooled by what Anet said. As long as the system of leveling up exists, the mmorpg genre will always be about killing things until you’re strong enough to move on the the next area.

I still think GW2 should have removed levels entirely. We’d have a lot less people asking “where is the endgame content?” now. Because the only true way of removing “endgame” is by removing the “frontgame” part as well.

Just think: no leveling would mean all progression was directed by playing through stories, acquiring skills, and running dungeons (it seems a waste of content that so many of the “leveling” dungeons are pointless to run at 80). You wouldn’t feel like you had “outgrown” any content, so you could actually “play your way”.

Oh wait, that sounds really familiar. It’s like they did it in GW1 or something. Yes, there were levels in GW1 – but effectively they served as a tutorial, since it took barely any time to get to 20, and then you had the whole game ahead of you.

Needless to say, I am sad to see certain aspects of GW1 be thrown away when they were part of the reason Guild Wars was so great, and different. Another of those things is the open skills system. I get what Arenanet was going for with the weapon skills system, but I don’t think it has the staying power that the GW1 system had. Creating builds made GW1 so very unique and interesting. I have many fond memories.

I’m still playing GW2, but I keep wishing for things that GW1 had. And part of the reason I hold GW2 to such a high standard is that so many parts of the game have been done so right.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

All these threads about boredom and nothing to do … I notice none of them come from roleplayers. I have an 80 and a couple of over 50’s, those being my most RP’d characters and thus the ones I find most compelling to play. My 80 isn’t even in all 80 gear, let alone exotics or properly runed, I have yet to even set foot in several of the dungeons or see all of Orr, and I’m having a blast.

Meanwhile my guild has an evolving story, has done RPPvE and RPWvW, has hosted gatherings, has plans for a Soap Opera to present monthly with the our characters acting roles, wants to do a Whose Line Is It style performance, is using jump puzzles as IC treasure hunts, and so forth.

I have a baby Mesmer I’m starting to try out, still haven’t touched Necro or Eng, am still having fun learning what new dishes I can cook up or neat armor skins I can craft. All of it to support the RP, in a world so richly imagined by ANet that we have a consensus reality as a framework.

Bored? Try telling a story with the game rather than just fiddling with the game mechanics.

in Suggestions

Hydrophidian.4319

In my opinion grinding and farming is a state of mind, not an actual thing in an memo.

I agree with the former, not the latter. Farming is an activity and some people enjoy it. I can enjoy it, albeit in very small doses. I do think farming is part of the game plan here. If there is loot of varying rarities, there will be some degree of farming. I don’t think that can be avoided.

Grinding on the other hand, yah, I’d say that’s subjective. When you’re engaged in a repetitive activity strictly for the rewards or goal, with no fun involved: that’s grinding. The threshold for it varies from person to person.

You can have grinding without farming (a crafting grind, for example). In theory, you can also have farming without grinding, and I think that’s what ANet was shooting for in GW2. Trouble is, if there are rewards that are difficult to obtain, there are people who will grind and grind until they get them, even if they don’t have to do it that way.

I have a friend like that. I’ve jumped into farming scenarios with him in other games, played along until I got bored with it (generally doesn’t take long), and then I left to do something else. But he just kept right on farming and farming and farming, making it a grind, until he burnt himself out. I have every expectation he’s going to do the same thing here, once he gets to 80. I tell him he doesn’t have to do it that way, and he acknowledges that, but he’s just compelled to ‘win’ and get that shiny ASAP.

There is nothing ANet can do about this mentality, short-term. Long-term, they can address it by adding heaps of different things to do; different paths, different rewards, to keep people who’re so linear-minded and goal-driven occupied. I do believe we’ll get there, but it’s going to take at least a year, if not longer.

In the interim, what has to be underlined is: this is not a subscription-based game. Going away for a while and coming back later is perfectly valid and probably expected.

(edited by Hydrophidian.4319)

in Suggestions

Bahamadude.4925

@MaxkitteningPain.5620 did Anet actually say “there will be no farming and grinding.”, or “it’s not about farming and grinding (cos that’s what the guy i quoted said).” those two things are very different.

" And of course new content take time but is rising up little up the cash making is that hard? or any other idea people said before?"

what? can you rephrase that?

@Nimiar.3509 i agree. in my opinon, in this day and age, the whole system of leveling up should not be so ingrained into the games anymore. it would have beensweet if it was something like: if you use a hammer your power will naturally go up over time, or if you use a bow you start off a poor shot but over time your shots get more accurate and powerful.

the skill point system they have up could have worked perfectly into a game with no levels. not that i expect them to do this at this point in time, just sayin’:D

in Suggestions

Hydrophidian.4319

in my opinon, in this day and age, the whole system of leveling up should not be so ingrained into the games anymore. it would have beensweet if it was something like: if you use a hammer your power will naturally go up over time, or if you use a bow you start off a poor shot but over time your shots get more accurate and powerful.

So, basically… the Ultima Online system?

I’ve always thought there was a lot of merit to that system.

I agree, they should’ve removed levels, or made them infinite, and used some other means to rate the threat level of the various zones.

Imagine reaching level 9001… Achievement unlocked: “Over 9000!”

in Suggestions

Bahamadude.4925

^

I had no idea such a system existed lol. Too bad it’s on such an old and outdated game. And at the same time, it’s sad that people see the success the system has on that outdated game yet NO ONE tried to polish it into a more up to date one. you actually kinda irked me letting me know there is actually a game with that system in effect>_<

in Suggestions

Camp Axing Fink.7503

I’m interested to hear what Arena Net has to say about this subject (: