Solve The Bot Problem Like No Other MMO Before

in Suggestions

Posted by: Alexander.4827

Alexander.4827

Okay, so for those not aware the bot problem isn’t just because of gold farming but because in this game there is a mechanic that makes it easy and profitable for bots to exist.

This mechanic is one of the most positive in the game. It builds a strong sense of community and brings people close together. Being able to resurrect allies.

This means that bots can be set up and left to farm. If they get killed? Well players will resurrect them unknowingly.

The solution? Bot flags. If you’ve just resurrected someone who is obviously a bot you should be able to flag them.

How does this work?

-From the help menu there is an option to flag a player.

-Once a player has been flagged 3 times this creates a physical flag on their character indicating that they are a known bot.

-This flag prevents them from being resurrected.

How do you prevent this from being used to grief players?

-You can’t flag the same individual more than once every 10 minutes.

-You can’t flag more than 5 people every 10 minutes.

-Flags can also be removed by simple human input. Answering a question or captcha.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Scorpio.3821

Scorpio.3821

I don’t understand. If you revive them unknowingly, then how do you know they are bots?

Legate of the Legion.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Alexander.4827

Alexander.4827

The second they get up they start moving in their predictable pattern, do not reply to chat and do not use defensive abilities or movement. It is very easy to spot them when in game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Beast.9516

Beast.9516

It’s pretty easy to spot them, especially if they teleport from mob to mob. If only a strong real world action were taken, like seriously hurting the gold sellers, finding out who runs these companies and hit them hard financially.

Beast [Beastess Isdottir][Meilikki Isdottir][Kaunista Illusio][Savant Bixxie]
Aspiring Brotherhood [PACT]
Fort Aspenwood

in Suggestions

Posted by: Player.9621

Player.9621

talk to them first
no reply no res
saves you supporting the botter or saves a real person gear damage

in Suggestions

Posted by: hoangflaoxtaf.9418

hoangflaoxtaf.9418

how about give player permission to kill anyone have the bot flag on their head?

in Suggestions

Posted by: mugen.4763

mugen.4763

I’ve seen bots that goes to a waypoint and comeback when they die. This will not fix that.

Mugen Tsukuyomi [ABC]
Sorrow’s Furnace

in Suggestions

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

The problem with bots is much deeper than you guys seem to think. Bots are far too resourceful and insidious to be stopped by an addition of one game mechanic. If a combat mechanic become a method of gating their actions they will find profit outside of the boundaries of combat.

In fact, the current method of botting involves teleporting around maps and gathering from nodes. These kinds of bots are very difficult to spot so they often go unreported. I’ve also heard of bots that exploit flipping goods on the TP for profit and to launder gold as well, but of course I haven’t seen them in action.

(edited by TwoBit.5903)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Iyeru.5240

Iyeru.5240

talk to them first
no reply no res
saves you supporting the botter or saves a real person gear damage

Some bots respond though with “hello” or “hi”

I’ve seen bots that goes to a waypoint and comeback when they die. This will not fix that.

This too. Even in free to play MMORPGs.

* (A strange light fills the room. Twilight is shining ahead. You’re filled with, DETERMINATION.)

in Suggestions

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

yeah this suggestion would be one of the many things a lot of ppl suggest to “stop bots” which in the end will only be a huge annoyance to legit players, yet a minor if at all inconvenience to the bots

in Suggestions

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

I usually see bots in groups, and if one dies the others rez them anyway, so unfortunately this wouldn’t help much. And that number of reports would have to be considerably higher to prevent (some of) the griefing, otherwise all it would take is one troll and his guild mates and bam, you’re flagged as a bot, people wouldn’t be able to rez you even if they wanted to, and many people are going to assume that you were botting even if you aren’t right now.
The amount of abuse that would then be directed against them would be…well, imagine for a second if instead of getting banned, people who bought gold from gold sellers were branded with a flag like this. They’d hardly be able to play the game for all the crap they’d take, except in this case it would be entirely unjustified.

Never underestimate a troll’s ability to abuse the system.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

in Suggestions

Posted by: Iyeru.5240

Iyeru.5240

Never underestimate a troll’s ability to abuse the system.

This. I don’t step foot into OpenPVP areas due to this, among my horrible skill at Player Killing.

* (A strange light fills the room. Twilight is shining ahead. You’re filled with, DETERMINATION.)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Avathor.1849

Avathor.1849

Perhaps also Anet could browse through the names of the characters ingame. I bet 99% of the players that has a name like gwerersefewwfdfwer is not into this game for the original reason^^ Just monitor them closely and ban when sure.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Indoles.1467

Indoles.1467

First of all, I can see the griefing already because simple human input can be performed by bots.

Anyway, I don’t res anyone anymore unless they ask for help.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dutchares.6084

Dutchares.6084

Better way is make the combat more action based. So not just button smashing.
Gw2 has dodging but you can still win without.
Some classes in daoc had position style attacks: from side or back. Or reaction based like after dodge or block. But the main damage dealers like enchtarer were again only spamming 3 buttons over and over again.

But if you could make a game where your mouse how to swing your weapon. Or with lots of blocking press a to block left of you etc.. And howlonger you press a key how harder you hit (cant block at the same time)
Casting the same with casting times .. very powerfull spells take long casting times where you create a kinda symbol above you in the sky, other casters can interrupt these.
Archers/range use a kindy system where you have to target .. but with wind and distance (so at long range shoot lots of arrows into the sky and hope one hits) And again how longer you hold down the key how harder you will shoot.
Your aiming skill will determine how stable your aim target is.

Bet they cant make a good bot for this kinda combat system.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cardstar.1963

Cardstar.1963

The best weapon against bots is a good reporting system and one where users get some feedback.
For example if you report a load of botters what happens to them? I don’t know if they are banned or even investigated, so then you are less likely to continue to report them when you see them.
Let us know what your doing Anet, it will give us faith that something is being done.

<paste generic, tired historical quote here>

in Suggestions

Posted by: EliteZ.1682

EliteZ.1682

The best weapon against bots is a good reporting system and one where users get some feedback.
For example if you report a load of botters what happens to them? I don’t know if they are banned or even investigated, so then you are less likely to continue to report them when you see them.
Let us know what your doing Anet, it will give us faith that something is being done.

That’s because so many bots get banned and they get banned in waves, I doubt anet have the time or would even want to list every single bot they have ever baned including names, when they were banned and why. That would just be a waste of time for everyone.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bailey.6892

Bailey.6892

The best way to prevent this is for areana net to under cut them. Make it so that you can buy items and gold from the company for so cheap that the gold sellers cant afford to compete.

in Suggestions

Posted by: EliteZ.1682

EliteZ.1682

The best way to prevent this is for areana net to under cut them. Make it so that you can buy items and gold from the company for so cheap that the gold sellers cant afford to compete.

and then Anet also reduces the amount of money they get from customers so much that it would have an impact on the game. Even if Anet sold their gem store items at a stupidly low price, gold farmers will always under cut them. I don’t know much about how bots work, but I doubt it’s too a lot of work and therefore even if they get a couple of pound for each hours farming, that’s still better then nothing.

in Suggestions

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

As eliteZ said, it would not be the gold sellers that wouldn’t be able to compete, it would be AreneNet in the long run that wouldn’t be able to compete, simply because ArenaNet have FAR greater expenses than the gold sellers have

in Suggestions

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

Well, if gems to gold conversion wasn’t so abysmal, people wouldn’t go to the gold sellers in the first place.

Or, you know, if the main goals like legendaries were less of a grind and more dynamic and lose RNG from the process completely (clovers/precursor). You wouldn’t need as much gold for things and less of a reason to even be tempted.

in Suggestions

Posted by: evolverzilla.2359

evolverzilla.2359

The better way to stop gold selling is to ban who BUY gold. AND advertise the ban. And if they threaten ANET, it´s a broke of contract.

They really need to BAN and show that tey are really banning and people will loose their accounts and all money invested. They will insist on this and will get banned again.

More money for ANET and a satisfaction for legit players.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

What we need is a way to portal bomb bots into an area that is out of their current script. When LoTRO launched it was beset with gold spammers. All a ranger had to do was keep spamming a group invite to them and eventually they would accept. Then we would port them out to a campsite in a high level area and drag some mobs on them, then port out. It was a hilarious way to watch them die and the developers encouraged it!

Theftwind (HoD)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

There really isn’t a way to make a game ‘bot-proof’ that doesn’t infringe on real players. If you see something that looks like bots or a mob of bots, just report them. It’s up to us to make botting non-profitable.

in Suggestions

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I’m starting to belief that bot’s and tin foil hat’s should go hand in hand. I’d love to see the data on how many player’s have been reported by angry players and those simply by accident.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.