Sonic Periscopes are Annoying

in Suggestions

Posted by: QuintWinters.6985

QuintWinters.6985

The sonic periscopes scattered around several zones are by far the most annoying thing I’ve ever encountered in a video game. Not sure what the devs were thinking there.

Even if I’m not interested in destroying them I can’t walk through the zone without randomly getting knocked down by them before I can even figure out where they are. And actually destroying them? My level 80 characters have more problems destroying these things than they do soloing champions. Something is majorly wrong with that scenario.

Please get rid of these things, or at least make them so they don’t fire at players unless they are attacked by a player.

in Suggestions

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

You even have problems destroying them? you can move around them WAY faster than they can turn around, so just stay at their backs

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shootsfoot.9276

Shootsfoot.9276

It actually cracks me up when I’m running along merrily on my way and get the snot blasted out of me because of one I didn’t see.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Catisa.6507

Catisa.6507

stability = no knockdown.

AR

in Suggestions

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

I can’t say they’re worse than Champions, due to the small mercy that is they need a split second of time to rotate to face you, allowing you to circlestrafe behind them if you get close enough

User was infracted for being awesome.

in Suggestions

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

My level 80 characters have more problems destroying these things than they do soloing champions. Something is majorly wrong with that scenario.

You not adapting to the scenario properly by switching to a weapon with range 1000+ would be what’s wrong.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

in Suggestions

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

My level 80 characters have more problems destroying these things than they do soloing champions. Something is majorly wrong with that scenario.

You not adapting to the scenario properly by switching to a weapon with range 1000+ would be what’s wrong.

Funny i have no problems with them on my thief that dont even have a 1000+ range weapon :P, they are far easier to melee than range imo

in Suggestions

Posted by: QuintWinters.6985

QuintWinters.6985

I have major problems just getting close enough to damage them. Every encounter with one is a near death experience for me. Yes it takes them a second to turn so you can theoretically get behind them, but 90% of the time they catch up to me, blast me, and then it’s back to square one trying to get close enough to do damage. Almost as soon as I stand up I’m blasted again.

They’re not hard to take down once you can start damaging them, I just find it highly annoying that it’s so difficult to approach them….especially considering the only payoff is a few achievement points.

in Suggestions

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

You just need to time your dodges to get up to them.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Retrospek.4583

Retrospek.4583

They are easy to kill with the proper skill (and you can also hide behind trees to avoid the blast), but they are still very annoying, and not even remotely fun.

Adding insult to injury, try tracking down (or worse, fighting) the Guild Bounty bosses when one of those stupid things is around.

I’ll be so glad when the living story is over, and these stupid things are thing of the past.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

I was swimming merrily along underwater – didn’t hear or see any of the telltales because of the burbling water all about me – when WHAM! I got knocked back from a sonic periscope right into aggro. I was laughing so hard I almost lost control of the fight. I think they’re sort of fun. Something DIFFERENT. And as far as I’ve seen, they don’t have any positioned so that they mess with your ability to get Vistas or waypoints or POIs or anything. And as has been said, when the Living Story has run its course, they will go away. Just learn to work around them until that time.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aeros.2046

Aeros.2046

They are a special event enemy anyhow. They are not supposed to a cakewalk.

[KRTA]
Maguuma

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nuvat.6431

Nuvat.6431

Honestly, they’re mildly annoying, especially when I’m surrounded by aggros. They’re not that difficult to get, and can be easy when you’re up close and making sure to move around whenever their heads do. Sure, it’s funny when you notice that someone is eavesdropping on you (stalker much? xD), and sometimes it’s kind of funny. Not funny when you’re blasted into a group of aggro monsters though.

in Suggestions

Posted by: lunawisp.2378

lunawisp.2378

You even have problems destroying them? you can move around them WAY faster than they can turn around, so just stay at their backs

I’ve never managed that. They do a 180 in the blink of an eye and if I’m not at maximum range I don’t even get enough time to dodge. Maybe there’s some latency issues but they certainly are not that easy for everyone.

Worse ones, by far, are in Iron Marches though. You get levelled down to 51 in a lvl 56 area and the kittenhings spawn lvl 56 mobs as well. It’s ridiculous.

Found pottering around on Desolation (EU).
lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

in Suggestions

Posted by: lunawisp.2378

lunawisp.2378

They’re not hard to take down once you can start damaging them, I just find it highly annoying that it’s so difficult to approach them….especially considering the only payoff is a few achievement points.

You get 100 karma for each audio log you hand in so, if you need the karma, they can be useful for that.

Found pottering around on Desolation (EU).
lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

OMFG he’s right – these are kitten, kitten annoying

Bad enough on their own but they tend to be plonked down in areas where there is already a significant mob presence so you end up fighting a couple of locals plus the periscope, PLUS the veteran and two other defenders it calls up.

On my d/d ele, I’ve found the only way to attack is to sneak up behind a tree (thankfully a safe zone) then ride-the-lightning to the target and pop earth shield for stability while I lash it down using my strongest auto-attack plus whatever else I can throw at it.

Unfortunately, it’s one of the monthly achievements I need to get my laurels for ascended gear otherwise I’d leave the things alone and stay out of the zones they’re in.

PS – the desirable audio log de-spawns after a VERY short time. If you get stuck fighting something after destroying the thing you may as well give up. you’ve lost it anyway.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ZenonSeth.5739

ZenonSeth.5739

You can actually dodge through those sonic blasts. Just as soon as you see the blast start from the periscope start dodging. At close, near-melee range you have to anticipate a little more, but I think it’s a wonderful way to train your dodging abilities as a player.

Annoying? Yes.
Need to be removed? No.

Are ye laughin’ yet?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaimick.5109

Kaimick.5109

I don’t think this is a game issue, honestly it sucks to be hit by one of these when you haven’t found it yet. Although once locating it, they become rather easy to take down. I remove them with ease on my level 43 thief, sorry your having great issues with it on your 80. Although like I first stated the problem is not the game it is the player not knowing how to deal with them, and in my opinion that is not a reson to remove them.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

I’d be fine if they just didn’t show up in the Starting zones… Started a charr recently and that one periscope by the level 2 renown heart blocked a good portion of the area from my movement. I can’t imagine being a new player and running into that massive spike in the difficulty curve in such a low-level area, restricting what should be an area for beginners- if I’d run into that when I first started I would probably have not continued playing this game.

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mimir.4690

Mimir.4690

I’d be fine if they just didn’t show up in the Starting zones… Started a charr recently and that one periscope by the level 2 renown heart blocked a good portion of the area from my movement. I can’t imagine being a new player and running into that massive spike in the difficulty curve in such a low-level area, restricting what should be an area for beginners- if I’d run into that when I first started I would probably have not continued playing this game.

I agree. This is my biggest issue with them. I also created a Charr and those things were a pain to get around, so much so that I actually just stopped playing her and moved to a different character.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Claudia De Anar.6304

Claudia De Anar.6304

The sonic periscopes scattered around several zones are by far the most annoying thing I’ve ever encountered in a video game. Not sure what the devs were thinking there.

TY for posting this could not have said it better myself. Having these things around does not make the game at all more enjoyable, not for me, its just an unwanted unneed interuption to what ever I was trying to accomplish in a given moment.

I to have encounted them in the Norn (lv15) Starter zone; and I do agree with the Idea above why are they appearing at all in lower level zones? If you want to challange bored lv 80’s who might be looking for a new game, should they not be in higher level zones. Or is this some failed attempt to lure higher lv players into starter zones so someone is availble to help? I dont think that worked for yea if that was the idea.

I will be so glad to see them gone.

Claudia de Anar: An Equal Oppertunity Massacre.

(edited by Claudia De Anar.6304)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

annoying as a guardian, until you get close, but not so much on other profs.

maybe they shoudl have had a slightly longer delay between firing.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hofulu.7325

Hofulu.7325

well, the Molten Alliance didnt make them to please you, lmao

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

I honestly think the KB on the periscopes is hilarious. I don’t think any of my characters has ever been knocked on their butts so often before.

However, the Molten Alliance events that spawn around the periscopes are nothing short of tedious. The veterans that spawn (especially the Protector, but also the Shaman) are annoying even for a down-leveled character in exotics, but they’re nearly impossible for a character in mediocre gear that is at the appropriate level for the zone.

The KB on the periscopes is less humorous while trying to finish one of these events. Focus it down fast, because the combination of the periscope plus the event veteran will be deadly. And even once it’s down, keep an eye on the periscope wreckage, because the periscopes often respawn before a solo player can finish the event. Yay!