Standard MMO features.

Standard MMO features.

in Suggestions

Posted by: AnthonyZdravko.2051

AnthonyZdravko.2051

GW2 has many outstanding features, but why does it miss so many basic ones?

I am suggesting five(added another) really basic things in almost every MMO be added to GW2.

1) – Inspecting(person has a nice looking piece of gear, too bad I can’t figure out what it’s called).

2) – Following (It’s just a standard)

3) – Dueling (No way to practice PvP or just casually have fun with friends).

4) – Friend login notification. (I have no way of knowing when a friend logs in unless I check my friends list regularly or they PM me when they log on).

5) – Player trading in person. (Mailing them and then having them mail you stuff in return is just tedious, actually mailing in the first place is tedious).

Obviously there’s also a bigger feature I wouldn’t mind seeing, which would be mounts, but I don’t mind if they don’t add them, it was just always a cosmetic thing I enjoyed. Ground mounts only, we don’t need flying.

(edited by AnthonyZdravko.2051)

Standard MMO features.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Imakkiman.2875

Imakkiman.2875

i agree on all of this, but im pretty sure someone on their team said that Dueling has atleast been noted, i think inspecting too.

Standard MMO features.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zeffy.3984

Zeffy.3984

4) – Friend login notification. (I have no way of knowing when a friend logs in unless I check my friends list regularly or they PM me when they log on).

Yes please. Same for guild member notifications. I would like to be able to greet friends and the guildies I talk to often without having to constantly look at the guild roster and my friends list.

Zeffy | Asuran Guardian~

Standard MMO features.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Valkyrie.2678

Valkyrie.2678

There will probably never be a 1v1 dueling. Even if it will, balance will be its own so players won’t have the chance to feed their ego by dueling with their primary PvE or PvP characters. Answer to question why is, when it comes to 1v1 it is never possible to end the crying on forums, websites etc.

Standard MMO features.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Killul.9685

Killul.9685

I agree with all your ideas. Mailing has it’s problems because if you selling or buying stuff you can mail over the item or the gold and they can just keep it.

Standard MMO features.

in Suggestions

AnthonyZdravko.2051

There will probably never be a 1v1 dueling. Even if it will, balance will be its own so players won’t have the chance to feed their ego by dueling with their primary PvE or PvP characters. Answer to question why is, when it comes to 1v1 it is never possible to end the crying on forums, websites etc.

You’re never going to end the crying of not having it either, I see posts asking for dueling regularly, since the first BETA people have wondered and asked if there would be dueling.

If you don’t like 1v1s, don’t duel but for the thousands of people who love dueling, it would definitely be a huge boost to their enjoyment in the game, in TERA I spent a large portion of my time dueling, most people in my guild would meet up and duel on a daily basis. Also TERA had some of the worst 1v1 balancing ever, yet people would duel constantly, even the bad classes would duel, just because it’s fun, win or lose.

Standard MMO features.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sinasazi.9072

Sinasazi.9072

Yes to friend/guild notifications.
I would also submit achievement notifications as well.
I like saying hi to friends and guildies when they come on. I like having my friends and guildies greet me when I come on. And I like congratulating people when they achieve a goal or something.

The rest I can live without honestly.

Standard MMO features.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Madara.2378

Madara.2378

yes to all. all very basic things that need to be implemented…

Standard MMO features.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

ArenaNet has responded to some of these suggestions, that have already been made many, many times on this forum.

1. Inspecting other players
They are undoubtedly aware of this request already, but have not issued a formal response, to my knowledge. They may or may not do this. However, it will be low priority, because it does not improve the stability or playability of the game.

2. /follow
I’m fairly sure this is intentionally left out, similar to click-to-move. ArenaNet wants to discourage players from receiving XP and rewards while being AFK, and they do not like botting. Like it or not, but adding a “/follow” command to the game is basically allowing players to enter “bot” mode. It is making the game too easy.
Additionally, “/follow” can result in harassing and griefing other players, by just following them around an area while they don’t want to. The designers have always stated that they put player fun first, meaning that they don’t want anything in their game that allows some players to bother other players.

3. Dueling
It has already been stated that they WILL add this at a later stage. Getting the game to run smoothly gets priority, though. (Like removing all the bugs from personal stories, balancing WvWvW, and ensuring account security.)

4. Friend login notification
This has been suggested before, but I don’t know if they have also responded to it. However, again, it is a “polishing up the game” issue, and will therefore have low priority. Especially if you can already check whether your friends are online by pressing a single key.

5. Player trading in person
This was deliberately not added to the game, because every MMO that has ever used this system, has been flooded with issues of players scamming other players. ArenaNet’s philosophy is that the Trade Post is a method for trading that is far more secure, and far less easy for scammers to use than any direct trade window. Sorry, but this one will not happen in this game.

Standard MMO features.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Campana.9216

Campana.9216

They have this, sort of. If you turn on the game messages filter you get a message whenever a contact on your friend list logs on. Of course, you then get spammed with other messages every time you loot or craft something.

Standard MMO features.

in Suggestions

Posted by: IanAwesome.3192

IanAwesome.3192

Agreed and signed. For Guild Wars 2 to be calling itself a very “social” mmo, I rarely see any socializing around, since there’s not much reason for people to “chat” with eachother. Character inspection isn’t possible, so chatter about gear isn’t going on. Player dueling isn’t there, so there’s no
need for players to “chat” or brag about their skills, and furthermore, try them out.

I’m guessing these are two of the reasons as to why my guild chat has been completely empty each and every time I’ve joined a guild (have been in five so far), and why people that have gotten bored with exploring and what not mainly are just standing around in town and jump, side-strafe or simply “look” at each other. The basic socializing features from the game are missing.

Standard MMO features.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lyuben.2613

Lyuben.2613

How is forcing people to mail trade, not making scamming more prevalent?

The excuse that “removing player to player trading= removing scamming” is utter bull. Both players have to agree.

With ‘mail trade’, it only takes one player to scam you.

Vibor Bauman- Level 80 Engineer- Gandara

Standard MMO features.

in Suggestions

IanAwesome.3192

The excuse that “removing player to player trading= removing scamming” is utter bull. Both players have to agree.

I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t risk my account getting banned for some pety silver and gold. If you scam a player the word will get around. Keep scamming players and you’ll get reported, ending up with a ban sooner or later. I’ve always “charged” the players I traded with the gold before they get the actual item, and no-one has complained, simply because they know that they can report me and get me banned. It’s just not worth it.

Standard MMO features.

in Suggestions

Lyuben.2613

I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t risk my account getting banned for some pety silver and gold. If you scam a player the word will get around. Keep scamming players and you’ll get reported, ending up with a ban sooner or later. I’ve always “charged” the players I traded with the gold before they get the actual item, and no-one has complained, simply because they know that they can report me and get me banned. It’s just not worth it.

That stopped me from getting scammed didn’t it though? That made me get my wool back…

No, in a player to player trading there is no risk of scams, just a risk of being stupid. But not scams. Because a scam, is a deal that is not on the terms of what you agreed.

If you agree that 500 gold for 1 copper ore, then it is a bad deal, but not a scam.

If you agree that 20 silver for 100 wool, but you don’t get your 20 silver, that is a scam.

I don’t know what happened to the guy who ran off with my stuff, probably changed server, seeing as how it is so easy. But the point is, it is much easier.

In game restrictions>player penalties, in the case of preventing scamming.

Standard MMO features.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ceallach.8740

Ceallach.8740

/follow just wouldn’t work for this game. It would be complicated to implement and people would likely find a way to exploit it even if they tried their best. It would have to break in combat and there’d have to be a way for the person being “followed” to break it.

It’s just not worth it – there’s very little benefit and too many problems.

If lack of inspect is hampering chatter…. that doesn’t make sense to me. Why not just chat and ask the person what kind of gear they have ? Isn’t just /inspecting less “social” ?

If you’re not just hanging out in a city, I feel there’s lots of playing together in ways that actually matter – people actually helping each other and even forming strategies to take down map bosses.

Dueling will almost certainly happen in the future, and I agree about notifications when someone comes on-line.

A lot of people are “no mounts !!” – but I think it could work if implemented correctly. Have the speed bonus be a boon that works on a cool-down. That way you can’t “run past everything” and you get the looking cool and “mount collecting” aspect.

Standard MMO features.

in Suggestions

IanAwesome.3192

That stopped me from getting scammed didn’t it though? That made me get my wool back…

No, in a player to player trading there is no risk of scams, just a risk of being stupid. But not scams. Because a scam, is a deal that is not on the terms of what you agreed.

If you agree that 500 gold for 1 copper ore, then it is a bad deal, but not a scam.

If you agree that 20 silver for 100 wool, but you don’t get your 20 silver, that is a scam.

I don’t know what happened to the guy who ran off with my stuff, probably changed server, seeing as how it is so easy. But the point is, it is much easier.

I never claimed that there isn’t a risk of getting scammed, which makes the fact that you actually explained the process for me unnecessary. What I simply wrote was that scamming people over some gold isn’t worth it if you think about the fact that you can end up getting a perma-ban.
I’ve done alot of trading and consider that I’ve played for a good amount of time each day, and I’ve never heard of a mail-trade scam, ever. With that said, I don’t doubt that they have happened, and if they have, you can still get the crook banned, regardless if he changed server or not. It’s possible if you put some dedication and communication with Anet into it.

Standard MMO features.

in Suggestions

Lyuben.2613

I never claimed that there isn’t a risk of getting scammed, which makes the fact that you actually explained the process for me unnecessary. What I simply wrote was that scamming people over some gold isn’t worth it if you think about the fact that you can end up getting a perma-ban.
I’ve done alot of trading and consider that I’ve played for a good amount of time each day, and I’ve never heard of a mail-trade scam, ever. With that said, I don’t doubt that they have happened, and if they have, you can still get the crook banned, regardless if he changed server or not. It’s possible if you put some dedication and communication with Anet into it.

It is your opinion that it is not worth it, but the fact is: it is easier. Much, much easier to achieve scamming with no player to player trade.

You will NEVER remove the need and yearning people have to trade within their own servers, you just can’t. The trading post will never fully kill off server economies.

So all mail trading will do is increase scamming in this scenario.

Standard MMO features.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ardrea.7045

Ardrea.7045

1) – Inspecting(person has a nice looking piece of gear, too bad I can’t figure out what it’s called).

I do not want this feature. If someone has a nice looking piece of gear, you can easily ask the player what it is; and in that case, that person can tell you the source item for gear that’s been transmuted.

Otherwise, inspection systems just breed gear and build elitism.

Standard MMO features.

in Suggestions

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

Gear is not as important in this game. This can be abused and used for discrimination.
2) – Following (It’s just a standard)
This can be abused for botting.
3) – Dueling (No way to practice PvP or just casually have fun with friends).
This can be abused by spamming people if not done right.
They have this.
5) – Player trading in person. (Mailing them and then having them mail you stuff in return is just tedious, actually mailing in the first place is tedious).
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/bltc/Player-to-Player-trading/first#post92423

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Standard MMO features.

in Suggestions

AnthonyZdravko.2051

@Anzenketh – Almost anything can be abused, it’s people like you that confuse me, we shouldn’t be removing GOOD features that have been in MMOs for a decade because we’re getting scared of the little things that you mention.

Also on a side note, the mailing system coupled with the lack of P2P trading causes and encourages a lot more scamming than P2P trading does, that’s for sure. Especially without a COD feature.

Following abused for botting? Dude bots don’t need a follow option, TERA had a few rare bots that could port from mob to mob and fight them, and it’s not a tab target game, all attacks are manually aimed. Bots are advanced now and don’t need a following option.

Dueling could be a problem because of duel spam? When you request a duel with someone make it a 30 second timer before you can again, or have a checkbox that allows you to turn off incoming duels, you can only challenge people to duels.

From my understanding there’s no actual friend login notification or guild one for that matter, not on it’s own at least.

Standard MMO features.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tradewind.6913

Tradewind.6913

I have no real issues except with #1, you could idk…ask them?

Standard MMO features.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lurch.4793

Lurch.4793

I agree with all of that. Even though it may seem redundant, the functionality is part and parcel of MMO pop-culture, and as such should have been included.

Standard MMO features.

in Suggestions

AnthonyZdravko.2051

@Tradewind – I could, but it’s extra effort I don’t need to put into something that could be made so much simpler, also he/she could be afk or not care to respond.

I also just like inspecting people in general to check statistics like gear stats, gear names, player stats like power, crit rate, etc. I’m not going to ask someone “hey, what’s your crit rate?”

Standard MMO features.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

No Dungeon finder, oh wait dungeons are boring now.
Yeah that can be skipped.

But pretty much it misses out on key mmo features. but youd get fan boys and girls saying, you want those features? just go play those games then!

Standard MMO features.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

Not to mention mail trade is risky

Standard MMO features.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Valhallen.1693

Valhallen.1693

I agree on everything except #5. Their reasoning was why spend precious development time creating secure code for trading, which will ultimately lead to people getting scammed, when they can just have everyone use the mail system? If you want it for RP purposes, just stand next to the person and send the item.

Seriously…how is there no dueling? That’s a no brainer for such a PvP focused game. Heck, half of the game is PvP (PvE world traits and character progress, and PvP world traits and progress being completely separate). How is there no dueling option in the mists?

Standard MMO features.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chaorx.2178

Chaorx.2178

Don’t make changes to implement “standard” features. They might well be the reason your players left those other games.

Instead have the courage to do something new!

…. but taken one by one a few of them make sense anyhow

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/2157/soapbox_why_virtual_worlds_are_.php

Inspecting – why?? It contributes nothing except to show off.
Following – required by many automation and boxing soultions. Most players learn more by finding their own way.
Dueling – Why not?
Friend login notification – this is part of my game client by now.
Player trading in person – Why not?