[Suggestion] 3rd Soldier Profession

in Suggestions

Posted by: Xetelian.9278

Xetelian.9278

Elemental Warrior: Place holder name for Soldier profession.

Guardians can support and Warriors can burst and adding to that is difficult and the idea to reintroduce the Paragon or Dervish has been troubling me since beta.

So while I’d like to call it a Paragon or Dervish, it would be best to give it an original name and Elemental Warrior is just a place holder until I think of something better or

As a heavy armor class with limited weapon types and attunements instead of weapon swapping.
Main hand

• Staff Mace Axe Sword

Off hand

• Shield Focus Torch

Aquatic

• Spear Trident

Attunements like Life, Death, Earth, FIre ect
Auras similar to Elementalist for front line battle like 20% Blinding on hit in fire attunment and 20% chance to either bleed or lifesteal in the Death attuntment and 20% chance to heal on hit in Life attunment.

Their weapons hit with burning in Fire attunment and Chill in Water at a only every 15 seconds. Chance to knockdown in Earth and chance to summon a lighting strike in Air.

Traits would be similar to what a Guardian/Elementalist or Warrior/Elementalist has.

Tactics
Discipline
Auras
Honor
Virtues
Place holder names for the ideas that I’m suggesting

Attunements could be Stances instead or Devotions or something.

(edited by Xetelian.9278)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pirhana.8935

Pirhana.8935

I think someone just really wants one of Rifts classes to be in this game lol

in Suggestions

Xetelian.9278

Rift?
Is that an MMO?

Please leave feedback, my suggestion is either lame or not lame but trolling my post is only bumping for nothing.

Read http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Dervish they have elemental attacks
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:%22They%27re_on_Fire!%22.jpg Awesome Paragon skill when burning is applied.

I was reading these when I was typing this up, not playing another game.

in Suggestions

Xetelian.9278

Would it be fair to bump this thread?

I think it would be nice to have a DeathKnight or MageWarrior type as we already have a Pure Warrior and a Paladin.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aedus.5973

Aedus.5973

We don’t need a new class; I believe gw2 already cover all the class elements in fantasy games. They should just improve the classes we have now (balance, add new spells, etc).

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

Though an original name would be nice, I say bring back the Paragon from GW1. They would be the only profession that could use a Trident and Spear as land weapons! They could also use Shields, Focus, and Torches. They could use Shouts like Warriors and Guardians, but can also possess Mesmer-like abilities as well with the use of Mantras and musical chorals. But to differentiate it from the Guardian, access to different elemental affinities works well, as you suggested.

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .

in Suggestions

Posted by: roqoco.4053

roqoco.4053

Guardians are already highly influenced by the paragon design in GW1. And it’s not enough to come with a few changes for a new class that are basically just cosmetic. You (or rather Arenanet) need to design a whole class mechanism that plays out differently to the other classes. That’s not so easy.

in Suggestions

Xetelian.9278

Ari Kagura thank you for your response
roqoco thank you for your response

Mesmer/Warrior would be an amazing concept I toyed with the idea but haven’t played a Mesmer to 80 yet.

Yes Guardians are the spiritual successor to Monks as the Paragon page points out in the wiki >_< roqoco which means a lot in the way they would need to come up with different systems for the new classes if we get any.

That is the rub, my idea(s) are subjected to the existing system without knowing what can be done with their engine.

We have a Paladin with low HP and High armor in the Guardian
We have an offensive high hp high armor Soldier in the Warrior

What I was thinking was a Heavy armor Middle HP Soldier within the current skill base that would have the effectiveness in a niche between the Guardian and Warrior.

We could mix and match all day
Engi/Warrior mix lots of conditions and kits
Thief/Warrior mix lots of conditions and escapes
Rang/Warrior mix lots of spirits and conditions

Ele/Warrior mix lots of conditions and attunements
Mes/Warrior mix lots of tricks and mantras
Necr/Warrior mix lots of lifesteal and summons

However in the end I can’t agree more with roqoco about needing an original setup with concepts that are out of our reach because we aren’t inside Anet.

On the bright side, I think even these suggestions will help motivate the team at Anet to greater things for the next Soldier.

We have a meat shield
We have a Paladin
We could have anything and I have 9 character slots 1 waiting for another class release.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Progulous.1763

Progulous.1763

I don’t see them adding a profession that is so clearly a hybrid of two existing professions.

I think the third soldier profession should be the evolution of Ritualists in the same way Guardians are the evolution of Monks. Obviously some mechanic alterations would be in order, because Engineers currently hold the title of “Spirit” (Turret) Spammer. This doesn’t stop ArenaNet from taking Ritualist powers and altering them mechanically to fit the Guild Wars 2 playstyle. Just look at what they did with Mesmers. Completely different from Guild Wars 1.

Binding Rituals could summon an immobile spirit to a location, or players could host the spirit by pressing “F”, while granting a benefit to the host.

Spirit of Vampirism
Binding Ritual. Summon an immobile spirit that causes bleeding with its attacks. If hosted by an ally, transfers health to its host with its attacks.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Corsix.4895

Corsix.4895

I was also thinking a DeathKnight type of class be brought in as a heavy armored dark caster is not available, its really the only gap there is and theirs sort of a empty slot for a 3rd heavy profession… But i think ANET stated no more classes, but will add more weapons which kind of create more classes.

Burn them burn them burn them aaaaallll sings
Burn them burn them burn them whoooaaaa!

in Suggestions

Posted by: OllieXTrick.9643

OllieXTrick.9643

…No. Just, no. Something more original, please.
We don’t need a WoW Death Knight equivalent in GW2.

If there were to be another Heavy class, I would expect it to be along the lines of a Paragon or similar.

Oliver Ronilar – Lvl 51 Human Ranger
Maguuma

in Suggestions

Posted by: Corsix.4895

Corsix.4895

So another guardian? WoW did not invent the death knight. The guardian is a very original ‘paladin’ archtype, im sure A.Net could make an amazing dark knight.

Burn them burn them burn them aaaaallll sings
Burn them burn them burn them whoooaaaa!

in Suggestions

Progulous.1763

Where did they say they wouldn’t add new classes? I think what they said is they wouldn’t add new professions “willy-nilly”, and that if there was a playstyle vacuum, they would attempt to fill it. They don’t have everything covered.

Death Knight, Dark Knight, Shadowknight, Reaver, Blackguard, Executioner, Darth Vader, Skeletor, it doesn’t matter what you call it. There is no “Offensively-focused heavy melee/magic user hybrid” profession.

Usually, this class is portrayed as being “evil”, but it’s not mandatory (Thane). In Guild Wars 2, players can’t be evil. Period. Somehow in the Guild Wars lore, being a Necromancer doesn’t make you evil, but being a Necromancer Dragon does. Doesn’t make sense, but whatever.

I think a Soldier with Ritualist powers is the closest we’ll get to this archetype. Ritualists dealt a lot with Lightning, Enhancing Weapons (!), Summoning Spirits, Lifetapping, Relics etc.

Samurai?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

A Ritualist with heavy armor? Now that is something I’d like to support! My main in GW1 was a Ritualist and it would be great to play that profession again in GW2.

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vyniea.2054

Vyniea.2054

I kinda like the spellblade idea and with it was in the game (Mesmer is not it, try again) but I’d see it as an adventurer profession myself.

in Suggestions

Xetelian.9278

Progulous thank you, I feel like my suggestion of an Arcane Warrior ect. was not well received and would like a Ritualist/Heavy/Medium Health

Corsix thank you as well, I don’t understand why people are so against things being done even if they’re staples to the fantasy genre.

Its kind of what makes them staples of the genre, how much people like them and I really would like Anet to consider an offensive magic soldier.

If Anet had simply ported the previous GW1 professions I’d still love GW2 and might even love it more with the new mechanics.

I’ve got a 9th character slot saved for making a Bird Deathnight ^_~

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

If you want a new profession, yo should start with its mechanic. Taking the mechanic from another class won’t do.

Come up with an actual mechanic.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Suggestions

Xetelian.9278

If you want a new profession, yo should start with its mechanic. Taking the mechanic from another class won’t do.

Come up with an actual mechanic.

Hard to do unless you have the tools that run the game.

I think I already said that and you failed to read it. >_>

Without working knowledge of the engine and what it can and cannot do I have no way of coming up with anything new mechanic wise, so please remember that.

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

You don’t need the tools. All you need is some notions of rule design.

For a profession, you need a core idea of what it does. Weapon skills that would go wit that idea, and then apply it to weapon skills, and then to healing, utility and elite skills.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Suggestions

Progulous.1763

It’s not hard to infer the engine’s capabilities from other mechanics.

You can switch out the first five abilities (Attunements, Death Shroud)
You can base abilities off weapons (Burst)
You can base abilities off the target of a skill (Steal)
You can base abilities off of active pets (Pet Abilities)
You can base abilities off of other equipped abilities (Tool Kit)

What’s difficult is thinking of a mechanic that fits the profession, adds depth, is original, and isn’t too cumbersome, all while being cool.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

new expansions will bring new professions, I like the idea that the OP presented. An elementalist x warrior sounds fun. If they could switch attunements like elementalist that provides different skills based on attunement and weapon sounds fun. Like a Battlemage from Elderscrolls or a Paragon from GW.

I would like to see a muskateer type profession, with rifle, pistols, sword, dagger and torch. Acrobatic and medium armor like the Thief but not steal, poison or stealth. A muskateer would be similar to a Guardian x Thief. No magical rainbows, poisons or butterflies (I’m lookong at you mesmer). Oh and an ability to use a single weapon with no offhand that isnt pointless but actually enhances the mobility.

in Suggestions

Xetelian.9278

It’s not hard to infer the engine’s capabilities from other mechanics.

You can switch out the first five abilities (Attunements, Death Shroud)
You can base abilities off weapons (Burst)
You can base abilities off the target of a skill (Steal)
You can base abilities off of active pets (Pet Abilities)
You can base abilities off of other equipped abilities (Tool Kit)

What’s difficult is thinking of a mechanic that fits the profession, adds depth, is original, and isn’t too cumbersome, all while being cool.

He said come up with something not based on those abilities.

in Suggestions

Xetelian.9278

Anyone at Anet have any thoughts on this addition?