Suggestion: Improved Hero Panel and Clearer Tooltips

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vyniea.2054

Vyniea.2054

The one question I ask myself the most when playing this game is ‘’ What the hell does this trait/skill/stat do? ’’

Seriously, I must ask myself this question at least 3 or 4 times a day because the tooltips are so unclear on what a trait/skill exactly does!

Here are some suggestions to make it better and clearer.

First, Tooltips

Take for instance the Mug trait, the tooltip says :

“Deal damage when stealing.”

Really? That’s it? The trait is good, but it sure doesn’t sound that great when you see it because you have no idea how good it actually is, and knowing those things is important because a certain trait might be the deciding factor a player need to go a certain trait line, and while re-traiting is cheap you still have to go to a trainer and it’s a hassle (albeit a minor one).

The Building Momentum trait for warriors says :

“Burst skills restore endurance.”

How much? This one is even hard to test since endurance regenerates itself slowly, I’d like to be able to know exactly how much endurance I get back from a Burst skill.

So the suggestion is simple : Allow us to know exactly what a given trait/skill does on the tooltip, you can put something in the options to choose between the default or detailed tooltips, in case some players prefer the present, concise ones.

Second, The Hero Panel (This is mostly about the Equipment Tab)

Alright so there are lots of stats to keep track off in the game, there are the 4 primary ones obviously (Power, Precision, Toughness and Vitality) and the whole lot of secondary ones (Condition Damage, Healing, Health, Critical Chance, etc) and well, the Equipment Tab as it is now does a mediocre job of keeping track of them all.

Here are my suggestions of things to add to the Equipment Tab

Burning/Poison/Bleed Damage per second :

Conditions follow a specific formula to calculate damage (it’s not dictated by the skill) so I would like to know how much damage a second of Bleeding does, or Burning. This could be added in the little window that appears when you hover your mouse over ‘’ Attack ’’

Condition/Boon Duration bonus :

There are many ways to make our conditions/boons last longer, traits, a specific trait line different for each class (like Virtue for Guardians or Spite for Necromancers), sigils and maybe other things, I would like to be able to know what is my duration bonus for those conditions. This one is mostly nitpicking and I don’t feel it is that much important.

Healing : Healing Power appears in the window you get when hovering over Health, it misses something though, the bonus healing added to the Regeneration Boon, it doesn’t seem to follow the same formula as plain healing so I think something should be added for it.

Critical Damage : Change it so it shows as ‘’ 150% + bonus amount% ’’, I’d rather know the total, even if calculating it myself is easy. Also I assume some players don’t know a Critical is 150% normal damage, so it being there could be nice.

Damage Reduction : We don’t really for how much our Armor Rating reduces damage, I assume damage uses a specific formula and if so there’s probably a way to know how much damage reduction we get from our armor, it’d be nice to have it appear when we hover over ‘’ Armor ’’

Magic Find : There are many ways to get our Magic Find above +0%, be it runes, food or upgrade components, it’d be nice to have our Magic Find bonus appear somewhere. (Thanks CaveSalamander.9150 for this one)

Other Bonuses : If there was a way to see our other bonuses (bonus damage against a specific monster, bonus XP, etc) it’d be nice, though this suggestion too is more me nitpicking, not that important.
—-

Aaand that’s pretty much it! I’m sure I’m missing something but I can’t remember what it is so it musn’t be important, and anyway we can edit posts! So there you go, my suggestion.

Thanks for reading.

(edited by Vyniea.2054)

in Suggestions

Posted by: CaveSalamander.9150

CaveSalamander.9150

Your Magic Find % would also be a nice thing to know, I always seem to get confused with my calculations because I don’t know wether a rune gives me +13% or +20%.

My quest is to find the dorito.

in Suggestions

Vyniea.2054

Ah, yeah that’s a good idea, adding it!

Also man this section of the forum is so ungodly fast, it’s like The Flash if he was a forum.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Salt.4621

Salt.4621

I thought Diablo 3 did a nice job on giving numbers in its UI to help easily understand its mechanics and numbers when swapping gear, etc.

“Your face is funny. All squished and weird.”

in Suggestions

Vyniea.2054

Yeah, the character panel was amazing.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Warpburn.3921

Warpburn.3921

Magic Find percentage in Hero panel please! Thanks Anet, you guys rock!!!

Charr Ranger ~ I’ve got these claws, and these fangs.. and I know how to kill the bunny!

in Suggestions

Posted by: BettiBlue.1962

BettiBlue.1962

I’m also in the MF camp, it’d be great to have that stat readily availible

GW2 kicks, thanks Anet!

(edited by BettiBlue.1962)

in Suggestions

Vyniea.2054

Seems like having magic find in the hero panel is a popular idea :p

in Suggestions

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

bump

we really need better tooltips. i don’t believe any of the attributes are actually explained in-game other than general terms. just how much extra damage will i get per point in power? what the hell is the logic behind healing power? (seriously i have no idea how it works beyond “more = stronger heals”).

this doesn’t stop people from theorycrafting and seeking optimal builds (which should NOT be discouraged), this just forces people to dig the internet for the formulas. pure busywork.

the same can be said for sigils/runes and traits, many of them speak in broad terms that really don’t explain anything. picking a popular sigil, the sigil of air: “30% chance to cause a lightning strike on critical hit”. what is a lightning strike? is that a skill? do i have to create a character of that class to find out what does it do? how much damage does it do?

that’s one of the biggest issues with the UI right now, and IMO should be focused on. a lot of the game already receives complaints that parts aren’t explained clearly enough, at the very least i should understand what my numbers do on an RPG.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell