[Suggestion] Make WvW Commander Icon Account Bound

in Suggestions

Posted by: Orz.5091

Orz.5091

For 100 gold, I love this thing, but I also believe it is the person behind the icon, not the character it is applied to that makes the commander. I’d like to see this updated so that all current and future commanders who use the book have this applied to the account, not just the character.

By having it character-based, this locks commanders into playing only one character until such time another 100 gold is able to be applied. I think this is most likely disheartening to commanders (I know this is especially disheartening for me) who want to be able to play multiple characters and enjoy each type in WvW while still being able to lead in battle.

Thanks for your consideration.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Abes.4251

Abes.4251

no, we dont need 30 commanders at wvwvw, it should no cost gold, but ppls should vote for commander….

in Suggestions

Orz.5091

I wasn’t asking for 30 commanders, just to have the book applied to an account rather than an individual character. Please read the OP fully. Also, voting is already discussed in the WvW section and I’ve already stated how bad an idea that is.

in Suggestions

Posted by: SoulstitchMMO.1396

SoulstitchMMO.1396

I 100% agree, and have brought this up since testing.

Commanders are the players, not the profession, I am now locked to 1 profession whenever I want to lead my server or guild and be effective in WvW.

I recommend making them free after the first one, and account bound.

If not, please at least give justification for keeping it single character only. You could even add a “Commander Soulstitch Fang” title for all alts so people know who the original book was bought for to prevent trolling with alts.

in Suggestions

Posted by: NoobieOne.4167

NoobieOne.4167

I feel that it would be pretty good to have a commander Icon be account bound. I am sure that many of the commander icons you see were payed by with guild funds. I know that as a guild member if I were a commander I would not ask for the guild to give me an icon for 3 different characters.

Noobie One
member of [RISE]

in Suggestions

Posted by: TheReign.9740

TheReign.9740

I don’t see how the character makes the commander, it’s the player. Our commanders are excellent, but we can’t afford to pay to support them to get another commander icon if they want to play another character. I feel bad for them when they have the make the decision as to whether they want to have a bit of fun on an alt or help the community due to the power of the commander icon.

[TL] Team Legacy – Isle of Janthir
teamlegacy.net
isleofjanthir.net

in Suggestions

Posted by: vVv Voison.6017

vVv Voison.6017

I agree 101% with this.

100 gold is a large amount. If someone is able to actually buy one, they should be able to switch between different characters and still have it. Some people get bored of playing the same class and want to mix it up from time to time.

[TL] Voison – Team Legacy Officer.
TeamLegacy.net – @TeamLegacyNet

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cerise.9045

Cerise.9045

This really has to change because getting a commander icon is an effort that a whole guild, or even a whole server has to work towards. It’s really unfair to people who play multiple characters to have a disadvantage because if they’re unable to play their alts if they want to put that effort to good use when leading the server in WvW.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Raedwulf.3712

Raedwulf.3712

What’s more to the point, and has already been suggested in multiple threads, is that we need some control over the great big blue arrow icon. In 8 weeks time, no-one is going to be able to see anything on their LA map for big blue arrows all over the place…

Guild Leader, The White Company, Piken Square

in Suggestions

Posted by: fatality.2645

fatality.2645

If not, please at least give justification for keeping it single character only. You could even add a “Commander Soulstitch Fang” title for all alts so people know who the original book was bought for to prevent trolling with alts.

This is a very good idea, I think no matter what they decide to do they should at the very least put in a title which is for all characters on the account.

Right now I feel the most important issue is the way they are character bound, as opposed to account bound, and this should be ArenaNet’s top priority.

I do feel, however, that in the future the cost of owning a commander icon is going to become a serious problem, and in a very different sense than when there was the outcry that the jump from 5g to 100g was outrageous and that no one would ever get one. We now see that this is clearly not the case, and eventually as the player base gets richer we will see more and more commander icons appearing everywhere, not even just in WvW.

I think that the best course of action for ArenaNet to take is to start by making the commander icons account bound as soon as possible, because this is a very simple change to make. They should then evaluate the many different possible ways of earning commander icons, and making sure to keep those ways fair and keeping the icons account bound.

in Suggestions

Orz.5091

What’s more to the point, and has already been suggested in multiple threads, is that we need some control over the great big blue arrow icon. In 8 weeks time, no-one is going to be able to see anything on their LA map for big blue arrows all over the place…

I don’t believe this will be the case. Most people in the game don’t want to spend 100 of their gold for an icon, therefore this fear is pretty remote. As a commander, mine is off unless I’m specifically using it in WvW. Right now it is off because I want to be able to play other characters, and couldn’t turn one on right now. But I can’t bring my other character to WvW because of the responsibilities I hold as a commander, which is forcing me to play one character in WvW as I’m not asking my guild to cough up another 100 gold to buy me another one.

The simple request is allow the commander to be the player, not the character. A simple fix as many other things in the game have become account rather than character specific.

(edited by Orz.5091)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gankfest.4965

Gankfest.4965

Yes this needs to be account bound. It’s not fair to the people that take up leadership rules to be bound to one character. It’s a hard job as is, and they deserve to have fun like the rest of us.

Gankfest™ ~ <PRX> ~ JQ
80 ~ Thief/Guardian

in Suggestions

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

I agree this needs to be account bound. I would like to play other professions in WvW and lead with them and I cannot expect my guild mates to donate any more than they already have.

in Suggestions

Posted by: TheReign.9740

TheReign.9740

no, we dont need 30 commanders at wvwvw, it should no cost gold, but ppls should vote for commander….

ArenaNet stated after BWE3, if I remember correctly, that there was a max of 10 commander icons on the map at a time, and that only the largest 10 squads would be the ones shown. However, this may only apply to WvW.

[TL] Team Legacy – Isle of Janthir
teamlegacy.net
isleofjanthir.net

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aethlin.7524

Aethlin.7524

I’m also very much for an account bound commander icon, as opposed to the current character bound one. My reasons are simple and have mostly been mentioned above.

With the high cost, aquiring a commander icon is a group effort for most people, with entire guilds chipping in to supply someone, a player they feel is capable, with it. However, as things are now, instead of actually giving the right to be a commander to that player, it is given to a single character only. This ends up forcing said player to play with only that character (in WvW or where ever the icon is needed), as players that received the funds for the icon from their guild members or the community generally tend to take the responsibility of leading their respective guilds/server seriously. But that shouldn’t mean part of their fun gets taken away, and there are plenty of players who find it fun to regularly change between their characters. It doesn’t feel fair to me this way. But neither does it seem fair to ask a guild or community to cough up 100g again to supply another character of that same player with the icon, not even if it’s a huge guild/community that can relatively easily rack up such a sum.

I also don’t think that making the commander icon account bound would create a sudden influx in the number of commanders present at any given time. Personally I have no interest at all in having it, and I think there are many players who feel like that. Having that icon displayed makes you far more recognizable, and if you keep getting defeated (even if it might not be your fault), or make a mistake, it’s far more likely that the other players will hold you responsible for it. And again, there is the cost, even if it were account bound, I still don’t think too many ‘normal’ players would like to save up such an amount themselves for the single purpose of being able to lead a squad. (As for trolls, there are probably plenty of ways to be annoying even without having to make and spent a 100g for it)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chev.1783

Chev.1783

Account bound only makes sense. This game is supposed to be skill based, not grind based.

If a person has enough skill to be a commander on one character, they have the same skill-set to command on another character.

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

What? They are per profession? XDDDD

That’s just silly. I’m not even considering it, then.

They should make it a one-time account unlock. And then make it so to have the icon on screen you must be a consistent player with success in their squad.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zoaea.3452

Zoaea.3452

I agree with this suggestion, 100g is a lot to drop for more than one character, and strategy is with the player not the individual character.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ExcEsc.8426

ExcEsc.8426

+1 for this suggestion..

Rhaenys Suenaga [EXI] – Exitializ, Guardian
www.exitializ.com

in Suggestions

Orz.5091

Really wish there was some traction behind this suggestion. It really is needed at this point and time so commanders almost 2 months in are still having to play a singular character for WvW if they wish to lead a group.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kuzzi.2198

Kuzzi.2198

+1
I agree that after spending so much on a title, it should be account bound.

However, there should be a way to limit the number of Commanders. This should be done by either scaling the cost for the Commander title with the number of commanders on the server (For example 100g + 1g per commander). Or, an even better solution would be for the cost of commander to include badges of honor. And those could scale too. The cost of commander with this scheme would be:
100g + 500badges + (10s and 2 badges) per existing commander.

I did not plan to make this suggestion when I started posting, so if it has a positive response I’ll make it in a new thread.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ZStefanovic.2475

ZStefanovic.2475

Think its time to bring this topic back up since Anet has mentioned that they are working on more possiblities for the commander icon but it will remain soulbound.

I’m still waiting for the awnser WHY they made it soulbound in the first place. I have the commander on one of my chars, now close to getting my fifth character to level 80.

Due to the adjustments in attempt to improve culling allot of teammates dissapear when they go slightly out of range, making CTRL+T mostly useless. I would love to being able to use my other characters during leading.

So either give us a explanation of why its soulbound or make it acount bound! thank you

Former [FURY] – Farming Orr since 1802
my stream: http://twitch.tv/Para_Streaming
All names start with Para

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vaffelman.6954

Vaffelman.6954

1+ For this suggestion
I’m also still waiting for an answer on why it’s soulbound.

Vaffelmannen / Vaffelman / Krigs Vaffel
We Be Chilling Core
GH

in Suggestions

Posted by: SilverWF.4789

SilverWF.4789

Make Commander icon more larger and let it will not reduce it’s size at distanse (like the current "Target" icon)

#SAVEDONBASS from Ukraine!
Seafarer’s Rest (EU): Liicher (Engi), Lii Cher (Warrior), Swf (Elem),
Licharr (Guard), Lich Eir (Ranger), Alt Fh (Thief). Lii Cherr (Mesm), S Wf (Necr)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Olorin Maiar.9841

Olorin Maiar.9841

To bring up this topic again. Would also like to see it Account Bound instead of Character Bound. It’s not quite helpful to force WvW Players to restrict at one Character

in Suggestions

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

I also think it should be account bound. I would like the ability to command using my alts which are sadly not being played enough.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: LieutenantDan.5149

LieutenantDan.5149

To be honest, I’m sick of 100g being the only requirement for a Commander tag, mainly because my server (Henge of Denravi) has a huge problem with people buying Commander tags and parking their rear ends in Lion’s Arch, dancing on the ledge near the bank. I would wager that 60-70% of the Commanders in HoD have never set foot in WvW for more than a few minutes. What I’d like to see is ALL commander tags reset and the gold refunded. Then, the new requirement for Commander tags are the following:

- 100g price, account bound
- 1000 Badges of Honor
- Rank 120 in WvW (Legend rank)

This ensures that the Commanders know what they’re doing as their primary job, WvW. Also, make that stupid blue arrow only show in WvW (or at least not in the major cities) so that people don’t buy them just to feel special.

Dragonbrand – Warsworn [WAR]
Whitney Lionheart (Guardian)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nakara.7108

Nakara.7108

Well I often help coordinating our defence but I’ll never be able to gather 100g up… It is way to expensive and sad to say many commanders arent very good at tactics. We need some other way to get the badge – How about a serverwide vote?

RoF – Aria Company Europe [ARIA]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gajsu.5014

Gajsu.5014

I would like to refresh this topic. Commander MUST be an account bound item. Commander is a person, not the profession that you use. People should be able to be the commanders on every character in an account. 100g is a lot of money for someone who keeps playing WvW and upgrading keeps and towers, for someone who spend all his savings on siege weapons. People in guild often give their own money for someone worth becoming commander because they want that PLAYER to lead them to victory. I dont see any reason why this is a character bound item. I would be glad if someone from arena.net actually explained why it is like it is.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

+1
This just makes sense.

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

It’s never going to happen. (A year on is evidence enough)

It’s a gold sink. if you want another Commander badge – that’s another 100g thank you very much.