[Suggestion] More variations for PVE enemies across zones

in Suggestions

Posted by: Praxis.6289

Praxis.6289

level 1-15 area – Jotun
level 15-25 area – Jotun
level 25-40 area – Jotun
Level 40+ area -…. Jotun!!

Same model, same coloring, same animation… same mobs beside the level in all of the Norn progression area…

At least even past “pvp oriented” mmorpg would go something akin Jotun soldier -> Jotun Warrior -> Jotun berserker -> etc, with slightly different color scheme etc… In this one it seems like your fighting the same area with different geometry as you progress…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vzur.7123

Vzur.7123

I was sorely disappointed by the lack of variation from area to area, too. Couldn’t they at least reskin them? They don’t need to do all new models and animations, but come on.. it’s the same exact mobs over and over..

I’d say this goes for the terrain too. Same foliage, same grass, same trees.. I really thought they’d mix it up a bit more.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Arius.7031

Arius.7031

The massive scale and detail of this game demands some sacrifices. They threw in multiple kinds into each zone, it’s more like:

1-15 area: Sons of Svanir, Icebrood, Jotun, Dredge, additional enemy (skritt, destroyers, steam enemies and so on).
15-25 area: Sons of Svanir, Icebrood, Jotun, Dredge, additional enemy (skritt, destroyers, steam enemies and so on).
level 25-40 area: Sons of Svanir, Icebrood, Jotun, Dredge, additional enemy (skritt, destroyers, steam enemies and so on).
Level 40+: Sons of Svanir, Icebrood, Jotun, Dredge, additional enemy (skritt, destroyers, steam enemies and so on).

And it repeats. There’s variety, not much, but it’s the trade for such a massive and detailed world.

But, if you think the Norn areas are bad, wait til Orr. It really is just undead (though there are many variations of undead).

Jorek/Etharin/Raylus
Darkhaven Commander
Co-leader of [Sold]

(edited by Arius.7031)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vzur.7123

Vzur.7123

You should ease off the hyperbole in the subject line though. The mods aren’t going to respond well to that.

in Suggestions

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

It’s not like there’s other games where we leveled all the way to max only to find “small mushroom” and “diseased rat” and the like to fight.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

Hm, I don’t mind it. ANet don’t have to create the illusion of variety, in war you see the enemy as the enemy, not demolitions expert, rifleman, etc lol all I need to know is their race and intention. Mobs of the same race do function differently though depending on what they are. Caster/melee/ranged for example. It’s the tooltip under their name what you wanna look out for.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lindelle.3718

Lindelle.3718

The massive scale and detail of this game demands some sacrifices. They threw in multiple kinds into each zone, it’s more like:

1-15 area: Sons of Svanir, Icebrood, Jotun, Dredge, additional enemy (skritt, destroyers, steam enemies and so on).
15-25 area: Sons of Svanir, Icebrood, Jotun, Dredge, additional enemy (skritt, destroyers, steam enemies and so on).
level 25-40 area: Sons of Svanir, Icebrood, Jotun, Dredge, additional enemy (skritt, destroyers, steam enemies and so on).
Level 40+: Sons of Svanir, Icebrood, Jotun, Dredge, additional enemy (skritt, destroyers, steam enemies and so on).

And it repeats. There’s variety, not much, but it’s the trade for such a massive and detailed world.

But, if you think the Norn areas are bad, wait til Orr. It really is just undead (though there are many variations of undead).

Pretty much this.. on top of the fact that no matter what race you can play you can go level in any zone. Tired of snow and mountains? Go level in the jungle for a while, etc etc. I mean if I recall correctly, Jotun are only found in the shiverpeaks. I think they gave the enemies here tons of variety, moreso than in other games, you just have to go find it.

Lindelle Ulfsvitr – Norn Ranger
“Walk with the pack. In the eyes of Wolf, we are all brothers and sisters.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: LordYz.8941

LordYz.8941

Better then a lot of MMO/console RPG games with same models but different color at different lvl.

Sea of Sorrows, Black Snow Suave.
Recruiting dungeon raiders.

in Suggestions

Posted by: PuffballPink.6035

PuffballPink.6035

In Wayfarer Foothills I fought a level 10 Dolyak.
In Frostgorge Sound I fought a level 70 Dolyak.

Progression!

in Suggestions

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

it’s weird too because there’s a few enemies that are confined to extremely small areas. ex: plated behemoths, pinipals, cave scuttlers (?), etc…

you fight a bunch of strange creatures in the arenas for that quest in the lowbie snow zone (i forget the name) but don’t really ever see them again. plated behemoths are in a narrow strip of one of the ascalon zones, scuttlers in like two caves and pinipals in a bit of one of the snow zones (near the mechanical minotaurs and junk).

they could easily expand on these and give them more exposure.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in Suggestions

Posted by: FluffyDoe.7539

FluffyDoe.7539

You should ease off the hyperbole in the subject line though. The mods aren’t going to respond well to that.

…like they ever do to any feedback that criticizes their game truthfully — with or without the hyperbole.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Arius.7031

Arius.7031

…like they ever do to any feedback that criticizes their game truthfully — with or without the hyperbole.

I’ve seen hundreds of criticism threads stick around without issue. So no, not like any like any feedback that’s truthful.

Jorek/Etharin/Raylus
Darkhaven Commander
Co-leader of [Sold]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

They should put whatever monster anywhere.
This way we’ll have wild Dolyak in the jungle and Devourer in the snow

If you’re tired of the monster in Shiverpeak, why not go in a different area?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Turtlemilk.1064

Turtlemilk.1064

At least there are very few recycled environments. In other MMOs, it is not uncommon to find the same buildings and layouts constantly re-used.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

There are plenty of different types of enemies in this game.. Take a look at your achievement panel under Slayer (I think it’s called) to see all the different categories (and then there is variation within those categories).

Additionally, I think it makes sense that you find Jotun throughout the Norn area as you level up. They are big part of that story line. Just like Centaurs are for humans (I play human mostly). It would be absolutely ridiculous if you started out with a big Centaur-oriented story and then all of a sudden they are gone.. “Oh, well you hit level 15 and they are strictly a 1-14 level race, so they no longer matter.” Now that would be lazy.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vereen Silenthunter.2704

Vereen Silenthunter.2704

In Wayfarer Foothills I fought a level 10 Dolyak.
In Frostgorge Sound I fought a level 70 Dolyak.

Progression!

Well, technically the level is irrelevant to the world variety, it’s just a game terminology.
In the real world a crocodile in a region is the same as any other crocodile in the surrounding regions (disregarding subspecies bias) because you are in the same biome.

Wayfarer foothills is the same biome as Frostgorge : cold snowy mountainous place. It’s not surprising that you’d found the same kind of fauna.

Remember that level is only a tool for the game to guide you through your story. That’s what makes the level scaling system so intuitive : you’ll have the same difficulty to kill a dolyak in Frostgorge and Wayfarer because they are the same, just met at different point in your story.

Progression is about the journey of the character, he went from his homelands to exotic place, sometimes later he’ll be back near his home and fight the same kind of enemies because they are still living here.

In that regard, I think Anet did a pretty good job making a vibrant believable world. Until Orr. Orr is boring. I understand why it’s only undeads and it makes sense, but Orr is really boring.

Hope the Lost shores is good in that regard, I’ve got enough of Zaithan’s minons.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

Some of the enemies are relating to the areas you’re in.

For example, close to Rata Sum you’ll find Inquest. When you go into the Divinity’s Reach area, it’s centaurs. When you head to the snowy area, it’s Sons of Svanir.

All of those are tied to the stories behind their respective areas. And therefore it’s important that they are a significant force in those areas. After all, if the centaurs pretty much kittened up Shaemoor, why would you find Centaurs clopping about in Metrica Province or Snowden Drifts?

And honestly, having been dragged about in my lower levels by a friend to go from Kryta to Shiverpeak Mountains and Maguuma Jungle, I was absolutely delighted by the different enemies.

I know games where the only thing that you generally get is a different colour scheme and a slight change of name.

(edited by Olba.5376)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Some of the enemies are relating to the areas you’re in.

For example, close to Rata Sum you’ll find Inquest. When you go into the Divinity’s Reach area, it’s centaurs. When you head to the snowy area, it’s Sons of Svanir.

All of those are tied to the stories behind their respective areas. And therefore it’s important that they are a significant force in those areas. After all, if the centaurs pretty much kittened up Shaemoor, why would you find Centaurs clopping about in Metrica Province or Snowden Drifts?

And honestly, having been dragged about in my lower levels by a friend to go from Kryta to Shiverpeak Mountains and Maguuma Jungle, I was absolutely delighted by the different enemies.

I know games where the only thing that you generally get is a different colour scheme and a slight change of name.

I agree totally, I love the fact that the enemies in this game make sense and are not just random monsters romping around the map.
I hate it in other games where you have a plethora of different creepy crawlies with no rhyme or reason.
I even like the fact that we have very few real “monsters” , instead we have a conflict among races that span the world. It is nice going from region to region and seeing how it all fits together, it makes the world seem more real to me.

Gunnar’s Hold