[Suggestion]: NPC for order changes if you haven't done any of the order quests yet

[Suggestion]: NPC for order changes if you haven't done any of the order quests yet

in Suggestions

Posted by: Maulor.9847

Maulor.9847

I recently read the post from Anet refusing to fix the story bug for people who were unfairly forced into orders they did not choose. This is a HUGE disappointment, however, I do see the inherent problem with this…

A) if you have quested deeply into the order you were forced into, you now have rewards and story stuff that would make it extremely tough to swap you over.
B) this could likely lead to abusing customer service.

I get it, I see the issue… but I think it would be good of you to at least ASK if the people affected have continued with their personal story once they noticed (IE: didn’t even complete the first quest in their incorrect order).

This is the case for my girlfriend, who once she was aware that she was in Vigil when she wanted Shadows, stopped playing her story all together, and she and I have been waiting ever since for a resolution.

Let me be absolutely clear, we completed the choice, but have gone no further (this should be fixable).

Suggestion: Provide an NPC for one month which allows ONLY players who are passed the choice step, but have gone no further to switch their order. I think you’ll find that MANY people are in this state, and it would not be a difficult solution… it could even just be a “reset player to the choose your order quest” npc.

to quote the official description of the personal story:

Whether the stakes are epic or personal, we want players to tell their own story within the game environment, so we’ve provided them the tools to do just that.

Unfortunately, this bug has left many players feeling that this claim is no longer valid. I won’t be playing my story with my girlfriend, which is what we wanted, and even if she completes it, she will spend the entire time annoyed by the fact that she is ascending the ranks of The Vigil, not The Order of Whispers as she desired.

We’re already 80, and have been sitting on the first quest in our order storylines for weeks, and now Anet casually tells us that it is impossible to fix? That’s not the kind of community focus that I have come to enjoy about this game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

I agree with you that it would be important to fix this and I understand where you are comming from, but I’m afraid that the solution is more complicated then implementing a solution that fixes the real problem.

For such an npc they need to make a design, make up a name, design a dialogue window and program a revert-system for storylines. I am afraid that thats not whats going to happen. If you had this bug, you either need to live with it or reroll you character. Specially cause most people propably would have continued in their (unwillingly) chosen order.

A more fitting fix for the problem is very simple, do not allow guesting in the instance where you pick the order. It is a no-fighting instance, so just make sure that people can only go in solo (partymembers will stay in the party, but don’t get the option to join in). Problem for future players would be solved then…

You are saying ‘this bug has left many players feeling that this claim is no longer valid’. In Highschool they learned me to prevent talking on behalve of others when trying to convince. I understand this is a problem you have and it is a big thing for you. I do however think you are making an exaggeration to underline your otherwise very valid point. There are people who have hit this bug and there are some for whom it is a game breaking experience. But implementing a specifick storyline roll back feature in any way is a lot of work and very difficult. I do not expect they are going to do that for a problem that is going to be fixed for new players.

Don’t get me wrong. I symphatise with you, but if your GF really doesn’t want to do that story of the order then I would suggest to reroll (but keep your current characters just in case).

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

in Suggestions

Maulor.9847

the problem with the guesting is fixed.

they have tools for making NPCs, and the NPC could be called “Order Squire” there… i thought of something that would be fine in 10seconds. The hard part would be migrating affected players to the order they actually chose… this would be (on the back-end) a shift in data. While im not familiar with their database structure, i’m guessing it is an entry with a value that tells the game which quest tables to access when progressing through the game. This is again, a very plausible fix, and I do not think it is unreasonable to at least research how many players are sitting, waiting, to see if it would be worth the investment to fix it.

I for one am waiting, as is my girlfriend.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Morakyr.8579

Morakyr.8579

Add another person to the “didnt continue the bugged storyline”. I work on software development for a living, when we logged in and saw my wife’s character had her quest line changed we stopped advancing the quest right there. It is a simple thing to fix, unless you decide to continue down the chain thereby making the rollback more complicated. Now the direct steps to doing so I cannot say, being unfamiliar with the setup of their db, but it certainly should not be impossible.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shabudua.7601

Shabudua.7601

I also didn’t continue. I was reaaally enjoying the storyline my wife and I had going. So when I got put in the wrong Order, and ArenaNet proclaimed it unfixable, it felt like my character died.

Help me out here…I’m having trouble understanding why this is so difficult to fix. We give them our character names, they look us up and verify that we stopped at that point, they change our current quest and order affiliation. What’s so hard about that? They’ve reiterated that this bug has only affected “a few” people, so how long could it take?

If there’s a deeper, more plausible explanation of why they can’t do this, please, let me hear it. It would go a long way towards renewing my faith in ArenaNet. And Humanity.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Garenthal.1480

Garenthal.1480

All of this would have been avoided if they’d gone with what they originally claimed, namely that we would be able to defect from one order and join another instead. For whatever reason this was scrapped, though you’d think as a compromise they’d work on reimbursing the affected players or explaining in a no-nonsense manner why they can’t.

in Suggestions

Shabudua.7601

the problem with the guesting is fixed.

Do we know that for sure?

Jeffrey Vaughn said a couple days ago that it would be fixed in the Oct 22 update, and as I type that update isn’t up yet. More recently, in the latest message on the subject, Gaile Gray didn’t give a date, but said the fix would go live “upon successful testing.”

So unless I missed something (did I?) we can’t count on it being fixed until we read it in the update notes. Meanwhile, we have to assume more characters are still in danger of being shanghaied into the Vigil. For life.

(edited by Shabudua.7601)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shamash.4257

Shamash.4257

Posting here to add my support to this suggestion.
Hell, you can even charge us gold or something to ensure that we aren’t doing it to cheat. I just want my fiancee’s problem to be fixed, some way or another, without rerolling.

in Suggestions

Posted by: numina.9041

numina.9041

We give them our character names, they look us up and verify that we stopped at that point, they change our current quest and order affiliation. What’s so hard about that? They’ve reiterated that this bug has only affected “a few” people, so how long could it take?

I totally agree with this. They already did something like this on past bugs/exploits, doing things manually, even for people who misbehaved. We just need some of your time to review our accounts, and I’m pretty sure that will take less time for them than for all of us to level again.

If a fix it’s not possible, please make something like the OP suggested possible. This is not a minor bug, it’s game-changing for us and we would love that you treated it that way.

Thank you.

in Suggestions

Shamash.4257

A little help here, Arena.net… Please.

in Suggestions

Maulor.9847

My girlfriend has said she refuses to do her story because it isn’t what she’s chosen. Out of solidarity, I am not doing my story either… it will forever hinder our characters, but I understand her convictions on this matter. This is her first MMO, and therefore her first character ever… there’s something special in that, and it shouldn’t be tainted like this.

in Suggestions

Maulor.9847

and now thanks to you arenanet, we cannot complete straights of devastation because the point of interest which REQUIRES your storyline to be completed. This is stupid Anet… you shouldn’t force this bug upon us, it isn’t good customer service at all. My girlfriend is really frustrated and almost doesn’t want to play anymore.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Toa.3507

Toa.3507

Just thought id throw in my support for a fix, since ive been hit with the same bug and got forced into the OoW.
Though after waiting, i decided to carry on with the OoW storyline. Wasnt happy with it, but just thought id roll with the punches for now.

in Suggestions

Maulor.9847

Thread was moved to suggestions, but at this point it should still really be considered a BUG in the game that Anet refuses to address because it doesn’t affect enough people for them to care… sad really.

in Suggestions

Shabudua.7601

Thread was moved to suggestions, but at this point it should still really be considered a BUG in the game that Anet refuses to address because it doesn’t affect enough people for them to care… sad really.

There have been several threads about this issue in the BUGS forum, but the only one that’s still open is the one that includes this great post:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Story-Skipped-or-Changed-merged/page/12#post529832

in Suggestions

Shabudua.7601

“cannot complete straights of devastation because the point of interest which REQUIRES your storyline to be completed.”

Good to know. Which point of interest is this?

in Suggestions

Shamash.4257

Let’s not forget about this suggestion…!

in Suggestions

Shamash.4257

Obligatory bump.

in Suggestions

Shamash.4257

Maybe someday A.net will listen to this suggestion. I’m being patient.