Suggestion on Champions

Suggestion on Champions

in Suggestions

Posted by: Teva.2807

Teva.2807

Before you read this, I would like to express that this is a suggestion and an opinion that I feel like would both benefit the players of Gw2 and arenanet as well.

First of all, lets be honest. Most of the time when you kill a champion, the loot received is complete crap that you could get from a normal mob just as quickly. You’ve probably have seen either on an alt or your main that in most, if not all of the zones in Tyria have group events that haven’t been touched in hours or even days of champions just sitting there, with about 5-10 npcs lying dead next to him. Why these events aren’t touched? Because champions are a waste of time and useless.

So, how can we fix this issue and possibly even make your game experience better? We can make champions GARUNTEE a rare or greater drop, more money than you would get from a regular event, and possibly even for some champions, unique loot.

For example, say you kill a Champion First Mate in eh… Genderran Fields. He would first of all, either drop a rare or better of your level and good coin, but he would also have a possible chance to drop new, unique loot (maybe a possible pirate headpiece that would be a new design.) That would:
1. Give a new method of farming.
2. Bring in new, varied items in the game that would be valuable on the trading post.
3. Give events value, meaning that more people would be in more zones and event chains might ACTUALLY finally not have to always be on the failed portion of it.
4. Give a more unique attire to some people due to new items dropping from champions.

So arenanet, instead of putting all of these “amazing” events that you have been working on for years on the game and just seeing them not being touched months after the game has released, you should give them an actual value and reward for finishing a group event, making people feel like they’ve accomplished something from doing an event?

Thank you, and please post your views on my suggestion.

Thieftix- Crystal Desert [CLAV] Commander (Aka sexiest thief on CD >:])

Suggestion on Champions

in Suggestions

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

If this is a suggestion it will soon be moved to the suggestions sub-forum.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Suggestion on Champions

in Suggestions

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

Champs should not drop guaranteed rares- makes them too farmable.

Any loot overhaul should not reinforce the idea of farming, but instead allow a player to just play the game while naturally accruing the mats they need or want. Concentrating rewards anywhere is a bad idea.

Champs should give/have a better loot table, but more along the lines of guaranteed tier whatever crafting materials/multiple bags/slightly increased monetary drops/ possible uncommon food items/ slightly increased chance for lodestones-cores-slivers/ recipes/ boosts/ slightly increased drops of rares and exotics/ blc keys etc etc.

Suggestion on Champions

in Suggestions

Teva.2807

Champs should not drop guaranteed rares- makes them too farmable.

Any loot overhaul should not reinforce the idea of farming, but instead allow a player to just play the game while naturally accruing the mats they need or want. Concentrating rewards anywhere is a bad idea.

Champs should give/have a better loot table, but more along the lines of guaranteed tier whatever crafting materials/multiple bags/slightly increased monetary drops/ possible uncommon food items/ slightly increased chance for lodestones-cores-slivers/ recipes/ boosts/ slightly increased drops of rares and exotics/ blc keys etc etc.

I was specifically stating champions from group DE’s, and also, arenanet tries not to force upon grind, but it is near impossible to make an MMO WITHOUT a direct source of grind to gain coin.

Suggestion on Champions

in Suggestions

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

One thing that might happen if champions dropped a guaranteed rare, more money or a unique item is that you might get hordes of people camping the spawn points and farming them. If its good enough it will pull people from the Temples and other world events, making the Temples less likely to get done for one thing.

Maybe if they had a random, very long respawn timers to discourage people from just sitting and waiting for them.

Suggestion on Champions

in Suggestions

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

For example, say you kill a Champion First Mate in eh… Genderran Fields. He would first of all, either drop a rare or better of your level and good coin, but he would also have a possible chance to drop new, unique loot (maybe a possible pirate headpiece that would be a new design.) That would:

That’s bad. It’s too exploitable, I’m not sure we need one more way to farm, and so on, but the main issue is something else.

RNG is bad. The reason why dungeons give tokens and not a chance for random drops is because the “rare item drop” system is ultimately unfair – someone who does a dungeon a lot of times can get nothing, while the person who did it once and was mostly carried by the rest of the team could get the place’s most desired item.

Some parts of the GW2 original design made a point in trying to avoid this kind of RNG – dynamic events not only always give the same rewards, but they also reward you based on contribution; map completition gives more or less the same rewards (as in, you know if you will get exotics, rares, or masterwork items), and so on.

At the same time, the original GW2 design also had a lot of very stupid RNG (ectoplasm, Mystic Toilet, ectoplasm, all the RNG in the gem store, ectoplasm and so on). In this we can see how different designers had different opinions on applying fair content or not to the game.

But in the end, it’s a bad system from which we should see less, not more.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Suggestion on Champions

in Suggestions

Teva.2807

That’s bad. It’s too exploitable, I’m not sure we need one more way to farm, and so on, but the main issue is something else.

RNG is bad. The reason why dungeons give tokens and not a chance for random drops is because the “rare item drop” system is ultimately unfair – someone who does a dungeon a lot of times can get nothing, while the person who did it once and was mostly carried by the rest of the team could get the place’s most desired item.

Some parts of the GW2 original design made a point in trying to avoid this kind of RNG – dynamic events not only always give the same rewards, but they also reward you based on contribution; map completition gives more or less the same rewards (as in, you know if you will get exotics, rares, or masterwork items), and so on.

At the same time, the original GW2 design also had a lot of very stupid RNG (ectoplasm, Mystic Toilet, ectoplasm, all the RNG in the gem store, ectoplasm and so on). In this we can see how different designers had different opinions on applying fair content or not to the game.

But in the end, it’s a bad system from which we should see less, not more.

My main focus wasn’t really on a money making system, my main focus is that people are more lively in maps other than WvW and the cities. They put DYNAMIC events on the game for a reason. They put SCALING on for a reason. Yet, most dynamic events to people are useless once they hit 80 and/or get their obsidian shards. It bothers me how arenanet put thousands of dynamic events in the game, when only a handful of them are worth the time. I just felt like making it a good source of money would attract more people into doing them instead of having random newcomers just walking up to a camp they need to go to but instead finding 20 dead NPC’s and a big champion standing in his way. I do understand where you are coming from though.

Suggestion on Champions

in Suggestions

Teva.2807

Wow. What a coincidence that my suggestion I posted a month ago is being implemented in the game now XD