Suggestions Regarding the Mail System

in Suggestions

Posted by: linkblade.6093

linkblade.6093

My main ideas came to me last night, while I was trying to send a friend a letter talking about some goings-on in “the outside world” (you know of the place, right?). I have two things I would like to see implemented into the Mail system, one an update and the other an addition:

1. The Word Count, Inbox limit

Because I like to “chat” and send mail in correct English, with all of that fancy punctuation, capitalization, grammar, and what-not, it tends to get quite wordy. The letter to my friend ended up having seven (7) installments, each one piece of the puzzle with the words “stupid word-count” at the bottom to indicate that there was more elsewhere. My verbose and multi-part letters can be partially attributed to one problem (the word count), and can lead to a completely different problem (Inbox-flooding).

- In regards to the word count, why doesn’t my letter reach the bottom of the Compose box? I run out of characters with about 40% of the page empty. If it is possible, I would recommend letter restrictions based around this standardized space, rather than a specific character limit. You have until you reach the bottom, and that’s that.

- In regards to the inbox-flooding, my seven installments ended up being the majority of his inbox. That left one slot for a letter from a different friend sending him a dye, and two spaces for some spam mail. Had I sent something longer, or some other kittenered him yet another chance to buy gold at an amazing price, I would have been out of luck, and the last part would have been left out.

Can the inbox be something larger, like twenty (20) spaces? Beyond my specific problem, a benefit I can see this creating is more space for Guild-leaders, who might have a ton of information coming at him/her from their allies, like grouping times, etc. Not everyone has a website to handle these things.

2. A Sent Folder

Because of said spam messages, my friend ended up pressing the delete button in a rapid succession he did not intend, and erased the final part of my message. I had to retype it, which was only a minor annoyance, but it could have been saved with a Sent folder. With that, I could have hit “Resend”, problem solved. Another benefit could go to the Guild-leaders I mentioned, wherein they could Forward the same message multiple times to different people, rather than having to type it again each time. That Guild “Message of the Day” can’t do everything, you know!

Now, I can see where a copy of a letter you sent to someone can be the gateway into a major problem, one of duplication. If my Sent folder tells me that I gave a Summer Sky dye to a friend, what’s stopping me from pulling it out of that letter, or resending to him, essentially creating two copies of the dye out of one? Well, I propose that the Sent letter have more of a summary style at the bottom, rather than the boxes to put items in. If you want to send new items, then you’ll have to send a new letter. If your friend loses the items (like if I had sent an item at the end of my letter), then I guess you’re out of luck. But for all other times, your letter would look like this:

“Blah blah blah, blah blah.”

Your friend, Mr. Person

You sent: [Mac-and-Cheese Dye] x 1
You sent: [Sword of a Thousand Truths] x 1
You sent: [Poisoned Cookie] x 37
—————————————————————————————————————

You could highlight them, perhaps, but the letter itself would no longer have a copy of your item, to prevent duping.

TL ; DR: I guess you’ll have to get over it, lazy bum.

Well, I guess that’s it. As you can see, I am rather long-winded when it comes to typing, and such ideas that I proposed would do me (and others) a big favor.

Thank you for allowing me this opportunity to offer my suggestion.

GoW3 Pandora: “Hope is what makes us strong.
It is why we are here. It is what we fight with when all else is lost.”

(edited by linkblade.6093)

in Suggestions

Posted by: The LZ.7891

The LZ.7891

I think this is a really good suggestion. Even if it were a bad one, I think it’s
plain logical to be able to use up the space that has been put on display.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kuro.9843

Kuro.9843

3. Filter. Just filter the more common gold spams and mails with a lot of £ or $ signs and websites.
It can’t be that hard no?

in Suggestions

Posted by: robinsiebler.3801

robinsiebler.3801

My 2 coppers – https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Mail-Improvements

This message was brought to you by a Kitten who can see the Search Button

in Suggestions

linkblade.6093

My 2 coppers – https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Mail-Improvements

This message was brought to you by a Kitten who can see the Search Button

I apologize. I did in fact search through the forums for a thread similar to my own, to avoid repetition. I did not see yours, so I made my own to express my feelings regarding the matter.

There’s no need to be rude, when we’re both in agreement anyway.

in Suggestions

Posted by: TXinTXe.7563

TXinTXe.7563

I don’t know if this is in the game already, but if it isn’t it would be a good feature:
-Make the mail return to sender automatically if the receiver doesn’t open it in a reasonable amount of time (like 10 days or something).

in Suggestions

linkblade.6093

I don’t know if this is in the game already, but if it isn’t it would be a good feature:
-Make the mail return to sender automatically if the receiver doesn’t open it in a reasonable amount of time (like 10 days or something).

You know, I was just thinking of that as well. If they’re gone for a long time (or maybe forever), your item(s) are lost to the void of that person’s mailbox, trapped in limbo.

New Idea: I’d like to see a “Trade Letter” option, one specifically designed for people who are trading dyes or whatever between themselves.

Currently, unless you know them or have reason to expect friendliness, “trading” with people directly is more akin to a hostage exchange: there’s no guarantee that after you give over your half that they’ll reciprocate. A letter option that prevents the item from being sent until the other guy lays his item on the table as well could resolve that.