Suggestions for conditions and knockback!

in Suggestions

Posted by: GunshyGamer.2076

GunshyGamer.2076

Hello forum. I have been playing for a good month or two now and have 2 80’s, one of which is a tank that can solo most of the PvE world with little challenge. (Aside from a few choice champions, usually the higher level ones which is understandable.) The reason I mention this character in particular is that I have been moving from zone to zone for world completion and while there is little that can challenge my warrior on a power vs. power scale there are a few other annoyances I have come across that I would like the devs to see.

I will say now though that I am not complaining towards Anet. I have played various MMORPG’s throughout the years, WoW and LOTRO to name a few favs, and this is the best of them all that I have played to date imo. I see a humongous potential in the game and I only hope that I can offer some very helpful suggestions as to make said game even better! This thread is not an outlet to complain, as every issue I address I shall also counter with a suggestion to how I believe it can be improved. So if any Devs read this, please respond and let me know what you think of the suggestions I offer. It always makes me happy to know that the developers are watching what the community offers for their game.

But I shall begin. The most annoying thing I have come across in my quest for world completion thus far has been the way that some conditions are executed and the player’s lack of control when affected. I am not talking about damage effects like burn, bleed, and poison as these are fine. The main effects I am speaking of are fear or paralysis. (Not sure of the in-game name but where the purple chains hold you in place.) Also, despite them not being effects, I am going to include knockdowns and tramples into this as well since my advice applies well to them also.

I am semi-relunctant to offer the suggestion of reducing the use of said effects, though I would not be against it. The reason I am partially against this is (from an RP perspective) that it is the mob’s way of strategy and changing it may interfere with the feeling of such. In PvP/WvW players will use whatever effects they can to control the situation and mobs are no different. It can be really annoying though when a player is fighting multiple opponents and it gets spam attacked by each one. For example, I was completing the Fields of Ruin map and had to go through an Ogre camp. I am not sure if by intention or glitch but there was a group of 10+ ogre mobs clumped into one small area that I accidently ran into. Given my current tank build I could hold them off rather easily, but since each one had a knockdown effect as their first or sometimes second attack and I could do nothing to counter it (Stability skills unfortuantly have little room in my current build.) I was laying on the ground for a good minute or two taking the hits by all the Ogres and keeping myself healed until I could stand and actually fight them.

It could be possible to make mobs have a random chance when spawning of having the control effect or not, and if not give them higher attack or defense capabilities to make up for it. Sort of imitating the idea that different mobs have slightly different builds etc. Once more from an RP perspective it could be as if a few of the Ogres were weaker but trampled enemies to keep them down, while the rest were stronger and took the DPS assault afterwards to finish off the paralyzed foe before they could rise. It would also be a great opportunity to introduce more strategic tactics like this between enemy mobs with varying effects.

The most important thing though I believe would be to give players some control options during the times that they are affected by these effects. No player likes having total control taken from them and there are ways to allow players to still be able to battle the effects, yet having the same/similar effect that they originally did. For example the paralyzing effect could maybe have you tap 1 to struggle and break free faster, or for a more puzzle like experience maybe a random skill between 1 and 5 will light up on your bar and you press them as they appear to break the effect faster. For fear effects it would be nice to allow players to control what direction they run in fear, even if it is limited a bit (Turning slower to prevent complete 180 degree turns back at the mob for instance) in order to avoid running into another mob or group as I have seen happen in dungeons and PvE multiple times.

(1/2)

in Suggestions

GunshyGamer.2076

(2/2)

My favorite suggestion though comes with my idea for knockdown/trample effects though. I think that when the effect is completed and your character lies on the ground, especially large ones like what the Periscopes used to do, the player should be able to roll forward or backward from the ground in order to avoid another attack. For instance the ogres who knocked me down had me surrounded. Imagine instead though the second I went down in the middle of the group I rolled back behind one of them before the next knockdown was inflicted. I would have at least got out of the middle and had a little time to strategize to prevent it from happening again rather than being held.

This would not make you OP either as the knockdowns would still interrupt effects and players would still consciously have to remember to double tap away. Not to mention obviously if you have no endurance you wouldn’t be able to dodge out. It would add a level of player movement and control to one of the most frustrating character binding situations currently in the game. It would pull Guild Wars a bit further from most MMOs by making the combat feel even more alive and non-traditional. If you wanted to take it a step further (though it would be more work on the Dev end I’m sure given enemy AI and all) you could even add this to certain enemies after a knockdown effect is initiated by the player. It would work to make the world feel more living as is the goal, though I care more about the implemention to players more than I do mobs.

Imagine periscopes are the same they used to be for instance. After being obnoxiously thrown back you could roll forward towards it, getting a boost and head start to deal damage before being knocked back again. Or against mobs you could roll away to avoid a secondary attack or knockdown by a mob, trap, or anything that may hit you while you are down. (Which in some areas happens frequently.) It would add more strategy and, in my opinion fun to one of the most annoying aspects of the game.

Anyways I’ve ranted long enough haha. Once again I love the game and I hope that my suggestions are seen and considered by both the Devs, and supported by the community. I will definately be following this game for years to come and look forward to see future updates and improvements.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Roman Legionary.6715

Roman Legionary.6715

tldr .. .. .. .. .. … .. .. .. . .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..

in Suggestions

Posted by: iKeostuKen.2738

iKeostuKen.2738

tldr .. .. .. .. .. … .. .. .. . .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..

People that use Tl;dr, shouldnt even be on forums.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

I may have read it if he hadn’t used such a totally meaningless title. So your post contains suggestions – in the suggestion forum. You don’t say. It’s probably even against the rules to call for a dev response…

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

in Suggestions

GunshyGamer.2076

I may have read it if he hadn’t used such a totally meaningless title. So your post contains suggestions – in the suggestion forum. You don’t say. It’s probably even against the rules to call for a dev response…

I changed the title to better reflect what I was talking about.