Suggestions from the Roleplaying Community

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dogmaddie.8463

Dogmaddie.8463

After a discussion with other roleplayers in Piken Square, we have all decided to finally write about what we expect from Guild Wars 2, which apparently, was not made with the roleplayers in mind as other successful MMOs have. This is quite sad, as Guild Wars is a perfect game for roleplaying, with no subscription fees and massive, absolutely beautiful cities and stunning landscapes. There definitely is potential here.

I would like to start with a few basic things that would be absolutely great if they were implemented:

1. Mark the servers with active Roleplaying communites with the [RP] tag, so that new players interested in roleplaying know where to find us.
  2. Add more empty taverns, houses and shops in Divinity’s Reach.
  3. Add more cosmetics on the Black Lion Store! I am certain many people want, and will buy them.
  4. Add a panel where we may write our character’s story or current appearance.

That’s it. I would like to encourage any roleplayers reading this thread reply to it, with more of their suggestions – whether they are on Piken Square or not.

Finally, to the GW2 team, thank you for reading this thread. I hope you will take the suggestions written here into consideration.

in Suggestions

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I’d like to be able to actually sit ON a chair, not THROUGH it! That’s all I want! Id’ be very happy with that!

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shadowcat.6752

Shadowcat.6752

Yes, usable furniture, a dream of all RPers for most games.

Personally I’d like more town clothes, like proper trousers! (English here, not american)
My character’s story is that she’s an orphan from the streets, yet she wears something only a noble could afford…

My tu’pence worth.

Dragonbanes Ho!

in Suggestions

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

1: This would currently only go for Piken, cause tarnished coast is always full. The problem I have with a tag is that it would be a confirmation that those servers are RP-servers. On itself that isnt a problem, but other games that had such confirmations also had server specifick rules enforcing people to role play. The beauty of GW2 is the freedom to do what you want, making them officially would give people the impression they are forced to roleplay in a certain direction.

2: Hmmmmm, almost every district has one or two of those houses. I’m actually missing this more in other home towns. But then again, there can be never enough of them :P

3: They are adding them with almost every introduction of new items in the gemstore. :P

4: Not my thing, but why not

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

in Suggestions

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Yes, usable furniture, a dream of all RPers for most games.

Personally I’d like more town clothes, like proper trousers! (English here, not american)
My character’s story is that she’s an orphan from the streets, yet she wears something only a noble could afford…

My tu’pence worth.

I hate the lack of trousers too. I gave my lady thief Aria Hannibal the riding pants, though if any better ones come up, she’ll be having those. I’m a horsey type person myself, and I prefer riding pants to be English jodhpurs!

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dogmaddie.8463

Dogmaddie.8463

2: Hmmmmm, almost every district has one or two of those houses. I’m actually missing this more in other home towns. But then again, there can be never enough of them :P

Exactly, just 1-2 and not empty. While the city itself is amazing, we cannot enter most buildings, and those we can, are definitely not empty. They are full of NPCs.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lodovicus.1562

Lodovicus.1562

Probably not feasible in a game like GW2 (unless they went down the LOTRO route) but areas of player housing would be grand where you could buy a plot land and design your house from the floor upwards customising walls, rooms and crafting furniture to add inside and out and about in the game world like Ultima Online.

I think the only way they could introduce the RP tag is if they created a new server. It would be grossly unfair to all of the non-RPers on Piken Square if they suddenly stuck the tag on because the EU rp community decided to make it their home at launch.

I am a roleplayer, and as much as I love my fellow roleplayers I am afraid to say that I think roleplayers have the capacity to be some of the most unpleasant people in MMORPGs. I am speaking specifically about those that take it upon themselves to police others, sacrificing their own enjoyment and that of those around them by trying to brow-beat those that are new to RP or had the misfortune of stumbling upon an [RP] server without fully realising what it entailed.

I am happy to go on without an RP tag in GW2.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

I don’t really RP my self. But I have some ideas.
*"target display" could have a icon to let players know your role playing.
*/RP chat channel
*Jobs: If you want to be a bartender. Other players will see you as a merchant that they can sell things to. You won’t earn money. You would get karma and XP instead.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

There is and always will be only 1 solution…

ANet should give the game some servers more and declare them as OFFICIAL RP-Servers.
Official RP-Servers, which will have their very own indepentdent official RP-Rules, that people have to follow, of they want to create there characters or want to change servers from an non RP-Server to one, that has an official RP-Tag.

Official RP servers, with
- Naming Rules

More isn’t needed in the first place. After that:

- Add please soon Housing/Marriage
- Add alot more EMOTES!!! Together with a Quick Use Panel Window where you just need to click icons to use the emotes instead of having to type emote commands into the chat! This is something really, that every cheap 0815 MMORPG has, only GW2 mysteriously not >.>
- Make the environment more dynamic in regard of interactions with furniture ect.
- Add Events/ Meta Events and all the missing minigames into the towns, why should events only happen outside of towns???
- Add Mounts!!!, they are mandatory for RP
- Add more Town Clothes in the TP as also give us some Town Cloths to EARN for playing …
- Add more Crafting Jobs, like such that are corresponding to Housing, but also too somethign like Fisher being able to use angling rods to go out fishing .. seriously, they even do already exist in the game those angling rods, but have no skills, but only disable all weapon skills, when you take them…
- Add more playable music instruments like the bell, want to have guitars, flutes, drums, trumpets and the like … so that we become able like in LOTRO to create great music together making some kind of orchestras if alot of people play together…
- Improve the Camera Management and alllows us again, to zoom the Camera into a kind of Ego View, like we were able to do so in GW1 also rotating the camera via holdign the right mouse button to the left and the right felt in GW1 alot more fluid.

Just a few things I could come up with now after a brief brainstorming…

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

There is and always will be only 1 solution…

ANet should give the game some servers more and declare them as OFFICIAL RP-Servers.
Official RP-Servers, which will have their very own indepentdent official RP-Rules, that people have to follow, of they want to create there characters or want to change servers from an non RP-Server to one, that has an official RP-Tag.

Official RP servers, with
- Naming Rules

Please, not this. This would destroy Tarnished Coast.
Instead of this, how about a “roleplaying mode”? You check a box and the color of your name will change for everybody else (or maybe an icon would show up next to your name, like when you are “looking for group”). That way, roleplayers would be able to easily identify each other and randomly roleplay with each other around Tyria. Then, just ignore everyone else. Hardcore Roleplayers already ignore everybody that don’t follow the naming conventions, anyway.

I agree with the rest of your post (the part that I didn’t quote).

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I wouldn’t mind a kind of ‘guild registry’ which you can see when looking at the server list, and servers can select what their guild is interested in, be it RP, PvE, sPvP, wPvP, etc. Then, depending on the influence of the guild as a portion of the server as a whole’s influence, and their listed interests, a pie chart’s generated to give a representation of what you’re likely to be able to find on the server. You can then fish through the registry to find out which guilds are getting the most influence per week, where they’re earning that influence and what their interests and timezones are, and possibly find a guild that fits into what you want to do in the game.

This’d be useful for RPers, as a new player interested in RP would be able to go “oh, this server has a lot of RP guilds listed, maybe I should go there”. It’s also useful for anyone else trying to find a guild for a particular avenue of play, as they can just bring up the guild registry and go “okay, this guild gets a lot of influence from WvWvW and is in my timezone, I like WvWvW, maybe I should send them a message”. I think that’s one of the big blocks to implementing RP-friendly features; that the developer has a difficult time justifying making content for 5% of the playerbase without it also having some application for the rest of the playerbase.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Some of you are asking for official RP servers. I don’t want that to happen! Good servers should have a mix between players and role players.

Servers with no role players have boring dead cities. And servers that would be only be for role players, would have low populated zones.

Players and role players need to lean to play together!

in Suggestions

Posted by: JubeiTM.5763

JubeiTM.5763

I’d like to be able to actually sit ON a chair, not THROUGH it! That’s all I want! Id’ be very happy with that!

In MU online we used to go in this tavern, sit at the table and talk. It felt good, but unfortunately GW2 doesn’t give this feeling.