Testing realm for updates

in Suggestions

Posted by: Psych.6527

Psych.6527

I know, there are jobs within you Anet team to test to patch updates before they are released.

My suggestion is to gather what your community thinks of these updates, for what i gather you should be doing this for your community and correct me if i am wrong, you are.

A testing realm would be the perfect thing for this! You would be able to see what, where, when, how and why it went wrong according to feedback from your valued clients. In no way meant as a threat, i have seen many people leave because they are infuriated with some of the changes, for instance how broken the mesmer class is and instead of fixing asap there are more concerns on goggles in some desert..<- just an example whether it be true..

By start this testing realm it would not put certain players at risk of being “outplayed” because of broken mechanics. You would be able to implement certain changes on while others that may have seen great are now found out be some what, “incomplete”. Saving your rep and giving you a chance to bring out the “Complete” change in place with none to a lot less people crying about..

I have not quite figured out how this would go about as perhaps a testing realm per server or before each update let 1 server test it, even if possible you could open it EU or US wide and only allow a certain number of each profession through.

Anyways this is just my suggestion, do with it as you will.

Finch Psydstep|Phantasmal Mesmer and Council Leader of
Gamers Republic of South Africa[RSA]|Aurora Glade.
“If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven. Such is the rule, of honor!”

in Suggestions

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

It exists. It is not an open test server. Open test servers are a bad idea. In WoW, test servers were never used for testing.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Suggestions

Psych.6527

1. I am not stating it has to be open to the whole of the GW2 community.
2. Why does everyone refer to WoW? This is not WoW, this is Anet’s GW2…
3. I know there are testing realms already, i am not saying they should make ones for the dev’s to test.

I wouldnt completely dismiss this idea… Even if it is 5 of each proff from the community that test out their main to the full extent, just a little bit of input.

“If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven. Such is the rule, of honor!”

(edited by Psych.6527)

in Suggestions

Posted by: PowerCat.5738

PowerCat.5738

Ultima Online had a test shard. Before any large changes were sent out to the general game, they were applied on the test shard for players to offer feed back on it.

in Suggestions

Psych.6527

Ultima Online had a test shard. Before any large changes were sent out to the general game, they were applied on the test shard for players to offer feed back on it.

Was it a good system?

in Suggestions

Posted by: PowerCat.5738

PowerCat.5738

It was pretty cool, basically you had the freedom to create any toon (kinda like the PvP area) on the fly and test out, whatever.

http://www.uoguide.com/Test_Center

in Suggestions

Psych.6527

Sounds good, maybe Anet could look into something like this.
I really like the idea of how it could maybe be a separate realm per server, this realm would not affect your in game characters, but purely meant to create a new one, fully customized for your testing as accurately as possible.
Maybe for e.g. every 20 NEW bugs found Anet could give you a gift for thanks.
Separate forum tab under bug tracker.
I hope we can get support for this

in Suggestions

marnick.4305

3. I know there are testing realms already, i am not saying they should make ones for the dev’s to test.

I wouldnt completely dismiss this idea… Even if it is 5 of each proff from the community that test out their main to the full extent, just a little bit of input.

First rule of the alpha test: do not talk about the alpha test.

You do realize all these testers are bound by NDA?

Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Suggestions

Psych.6527

Dude, you keep bringing these kittens out of content.. The alpha testing will always be done by the testers paid to do there job, what i am merely trying to suggest is that once all there testing has been done..for e.g.
They finish a new patch update, testers are happy, dev’s happy, ect..
Now were as they would have launched it now, they dont.
They release it into a “test realm” where the players will purposely try find bugs to give feedback to the Anet team so that they can fix these bugs before it goes live..
When something could be such a game changing move, completely OP a certain proff, whatever has not been put live for exploitations..
Is there something you dont understand or should i go kitten on your kittenssa again?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Abigor.4952

Abigor.4952

Dude, you keep bringing these kittens out of content.. The alpha testing will always be done by the testers paid to do there job, what i am merely trying to suggest is that once all there testing has been done..for e.g.
They release it into a “test realm” where the players will purposely try find bugs to give feedback to the Anet team so that they can fix these bugs before it goes live..
When something could be such a game changing move, completely OP a certain proff, whatever has not been put live for exploitations..
Is there something you dont understand or should i go kitten on your kittenssa again?

Kittens…kitten everywhere. Anyway agreed, same thing said my gf during the karka event when it didn’t started properly, kinda why won’t they make a test server where they run through events to see if they’re working properly before releasing it to the public.

in Suggestions

Psych.6527

Thanks for understanding Abigor.
Having live problems can be so much worse than seeing what the Ancient Karka looks like before it is “actually released”…
I would like to know what the staff think of this

in Suggestions

marnick.4305

Not quite. Alpha test is completely voluntary, and are usually top tier players who are invited to join in FOR FREE. Several GW1 guilds got invited because of top ranks on the ladder for example, while others got invited for community efforts. None of them are paid for being in the alpha.

Except other games prove this doesn’t happen. Open test realms are actually about finding and keeping exploits secret to prepare for world firsts. They completely don’t serve their purpose. Theory and practice don’t seem to mingle very well.

I do understand you understand nothing about test realms, and when I try to explain you go all puppy on me.

TL;DR: There is a closed test realm with testers who are not paid for their time. As I understand from the scarce info, you actually get kicked out if you play around instead of reporting bugs. At random times there are invitations to join this. Please wiki the “test krewe”. Anything else you don’t understand?