The Art of War-improving World Vs. World

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

there’s no getting around the fact that world vs. world needs some additions. this thread hopes to compile some of those additions that might make a difference the longevity of the gametype. since this is a community thread, i’m hoping other players will add to it.
Things I would Like to see:
-More types of NPC units
-More mobility and a minor ability to command weaker NPC units
-New types of siege engines
-Charr weaponry installments on towers/keeps/etc
-A cavalry type siege weapon? Charr(iots)?[hurr]
-Keep/castle exclusive armories. IE: the charrzooka pickups at the jormag event. would be another upgrade
-Spiked doors for a tier 3 door upgrade
-More objectives to take IE vantage points, more neutral tribes
-Most of the above requires bigger maps so…bigger maps or more of them

PS: world vs. world needs to be more about strategy and less about heart of the swarm

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vena.8436

Vena.8436

-More types of NPC units

NPCs will never serve any purpose but to be outwitted, and if you make them too good then its going to be PvEvP… err WvWvWvE. Or maybe WEvWEvWE?

Such as? I think we’ve pretty much covered the basics of “useful siege for sieging”; we have anti-personnel, anti-door, anti-wall, anti-siege, and anti-everything. If I can make a suggestion, build-able barricades (but limit to only 1 per very large area), as its the only real lacking build type.

Mesmers already exisit.

-Keep/castle exclusive armories. IE: the charrzooka pickups at the jormag event. would be another upgrade

Me likely.

(Superior) Arrow carts already exist.

Maps are already as big as they can be within the specs of the engine.

PS: world vs. world needs to be more about strategy and less about heart of the swarm

It is… (*sic: depending on the tier).

Vena/Var – Guardian/Thief
[Eon] – Blackgate

in Suggestions

Lightsbane.9012

-More types of NPC units

NPCs will never serve any purpose but to be outwitted, and if you make them too good then its going to be PvEvP… err WvWvWvE. Or maybe WEvWEvWE?

Such as? I think we’ve pretty much covered the basics of “useful siege for sieging”; we have anti-personnel, anti-door, anti-wall, anti-siege, and anti-everything. If I can make a suggestion, build-able barricades (but limit to only 1 per very large area), as its the only real lacking build type.

Mesmers already exisit.

Me likely.

(Superior) Arrow carts already exist.

Maps are already as big as they can be within the specs of the engine.

It is… (*sic: depending on the tier).

the point of the ‘more siege weaponry and cavalry units’ is as follows:
i think i’d rather have a unit of warriors with rifles on chariots or something instead of one mesmer portal moving some golems. and for one obvious reason: that cavalry unit would wipe the floor with those golems and mesmer and be back home for dolyak roast. which would require that mesmer and those guarding him or her to be that much more strategic with how they are moving the golems.
superior arrow carts are defensive (long) range siege weapons, spiked doors serve no purpose other than to slightly damage the rams. not seeing a correlation.

(edited by Lightsbane.9012)

in Suggestions

Posted by: SchuMidas.4782

SchuMidas.4782

my turn

-More types of NPC units
-More mobility and a minor ability to command weaker NPC units

NPC are no no

-Charr weaponry installments on towers/keeps/etc

would agree for more siege types.
ex: airship, barricade, explosive barrel, etc

or just the ability to repair existing siege weapon is ok

mounts ?
we have golem which are mobile enough

this is quite nice for people who doesnt spec for ranged or crappy ranged class, or maybe under level toon.

no for various reason

yes this i agree, however EB is ok already, then we dont really need it

SchuMidas – Guardian
Guild Pro Baddies [Pro] @ Tarnished Coast

(edited by SchuMidas.4782)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Omne.4603

Omne.4603

Guild npcs as an addition AOW6 upgrade that can be activated as a buff on any structure you claim. Can have multiple levels that determine the quantity and classes of npcs spawned, but level can be determined by the upgrade level of the structure itself. Would be nice to see simple additions like that. The benefit I see is your server can rotate activating these buffs after your primetime to lessen the effect of nightcapping by smaller groups.

I Cant Stop/ Ocularis
NSP | Os Guild Master
www.osguild.org | www.youtube.com/osthink

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aeros.2046

Aeros.2046

The only purpose for NPC’s in WvW IMO is to prevent one person from being able to swipe Supply camps and so on.

[KRTA]
Maguuma

in Suggestions

Posted by: VanysRonz.4061

VanysRonz.4061

Anet please add Dragon to WvW

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

Why is it that people think the way to improve WvW is to clutter it up with more PvE-style stuff?? Why can’t you instead try to come up with ways to improve the actual fight experience? Or the map strategy? Or make defense less tedious?

Not that ANet will listen anyway, of course, but at least there would be less drivel here on the forums.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in Suggestions

Posted by: SchuMidas.4782

SchuMidas.4782

they do listen, they just dont care
you see how SPvP er died ?

SchuMidas – Guardian
Guild Pro Baddies [Pro] @ Tarnished Coast

in Suggestions

Lightsbane.9012

how about reskinning the grub to Zhaitan but it keeping the grub abilities?
GOM would never win another wvw again ever.

in Suggestions

Lightsbane.9012

Why is it that people think the way to improve WvW is to clutter it up with more PvE-style stuff?? Why can’t you instead try to come up with ways to improve the actual fight experience? Or the map strategy? Or make defense less tedious?

Not that ANet will listen anyway, of course, but at least there would be less drivel here on the forums.

i recommending pve things in my list? well cut my hair and call me winston churchill.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cameron.2315

Cameron.2315

only thing i agree with is more siege would be nice i would love to see a siege tower implemented http://www.wwnorton.com/college/english/nael/images/middle/tower.jpg

then you would need the right counter siege to be added thats where my idea dies cause it would seem hard to balance it lol

in Suggestions

Lightsbane.9012

only thing i agree with is more siege would be nice i would love to see a siege tower implemented http://www.wwnorton.com/college/english/nael/images/middle/tower.jpg

then you would need the right counter siege to be added thats where my idea dies cause it would seem hard to balance it lol

this thread, for me at least, is kind of like a dream update. will never happen and i’m fine with that. someone suggesting that choppers should be included though would just be ridiculous.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Florgknight.1589

Florgknight.1589

More NPC would make killing downed players harder.

in Suggestions

Posted by: SlaterBBX.3805

SlaterBBX.3805

I hate NPCs in WvW, Towers… ok, camps…. ok, Keeps…DEF. But more… please no. I already hate wolfs, skelks, bambi…. etc.

Kaineng – Guild Valor [RUN] – Officer
Hammer Warrior Ftw

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hrist.8972

Hrist.8972

Make penalty for getting downed higher. What I mean is, when you get downed and get back up from a rally or friendly res, you should be a LOT weaker than you would be now. Think something akin to GW Death Penalty, this way the fights won’t stretch out to be a crazy whack-a-mole even if the losing team is completely inept and should actually die in a timely manner.

Hrist Unriht – [Hovi] Unseelie Court – Seafarer’s Rest EU

(edited by Hrist.8972)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sepreh.5924

Sepreh.5924

10 or so different borderlands maps, all in rotation, switching on reset day. Different battle styles based on map/setting (eg lots of cover and guerrilla style combat in a sylvari forest type map, norn type map with frost debuff requiring people to meet at keeps and plan quick sieges, etc).

Legendary Sepreh, Necromancer
[SYN] Synyster Legion | Dragonbrand Server
Youtube Necromancer

in Suggestions

Posted by: Edragor.9164

Edragor.9164

I agree, that there should/could be a lot things to spicen up meta/tactics & strategy in general.
More types of NPC units
No,no,no… they should get existing pve mobs right before adding even more…
Imho, pve mobs in pvp settings should serve the following purpose…
stall or confuse THE PLAYER
Via mob numbers or high hp-pool for enemy players to be able to arrive or to “even out” fewer numbers in a pvp skirmish using those mobs merely as a shield or confusion tactic…
NOT to down newbs NOR to challenge/annoy veterans with too many mechanics (CCs) & too high dps (…while haveing HP like “butter” stalling even a small group for only seconds…)

More mobility
…makes the map appear even smaller…
…roamer builds vs non-roamer builds might seem to “be unfair”, but it also gives tactical depth…

minor ability to command weaker NPC units
Ability to change patroulling routes around towers, maybe ability to designate individual guard areas or attack points (quaggans) for the existing npcs. I could even fathoam some “upgrade” to be able to control a guard like some ranger pet.
BUT NO, to every ability which enables a player to “summon/hire” his personal NPC “lifeguard” for him to wander around with.

New types of siege engines
- Smoke/fire/swamp/mine/spiketrap fields (destructable, small barriers)
- tower/castle upgrade for pittraps (..or asurian jump wires hurling players off the walls, but be “loaded” again by players)
- charr/asurian automated-turret-tech…(similiar but longer lasting than engi turrets)
- asurian shielding-tech (..like siegerazer bubbles, but with attackable “shield generator”)
- deployable explosives (doing mostly structural damage similiar to balliste)

weaponry installments on towers/keeps/etc
Dont like any fixed installements or blocking areas for siege. Cuz it takes away the sandbox-feeling and freedom in tactics/strategies. …and if a Treb is needed to “counter” some “hidden arrow cart”…so be it.
Only the really glitchy and exploitable areas should be fixed/ made unaccessible…imho

cavalry type siege weapon?
…and be kited to all eternity?^^ Short-term speedbooster to “rush/push” i dont have a problem with…

Keep/castle exclusive armories
More use of some of those environmental weapons like boulders, feathers, scales or even npc mage as tower upgrade who provides some elementalists weapons every xx minutes to summon.
Maybe one day…if we only kill those annoying eagle-raptors long enough…there will be only their feathers left in the area around spawn..(hint^^)

More diversity/specilization via upgrades
Spiked doors for a tier 3 door upgrade sounds similiar to existing boiling oil, but with a different mechanic it could be an alternative upgrade path…
…i.e. spiked doors do less dmg compared to oil, but you dont have to activate them…
Similiar, you could decide if you would like to upgrade for swampy area near walls OR have some spikes & spears set into firm ground…

More objectives to take IE vantage points, more neutral tribes
Yes, but first…

Scale rewards
To reduce the boring “object flipping”/karma train behaviour…objects should scale their rewards and value differently for attacker and defender AND rise more in value if you defend/hold them over time for both.

Map combining metas
Imho, its lacking some meta which combines all maps, i.e.
- Capping/defending ALL camps (and/or guards) in ALL maps should reward a bonus score
- Activation of switches in different parts of ALL JPs should reward WvW bonus score
(+ achievement/rewards for the players)

Maps
Bigger maps are not possible engine-wise atm.
…but unsure if they couldnt add more layers…freezeing the “quaggan lake”, but keeping holes to get under the water…would add a lot of new space.
((Kick out some krait if its a performance issue…we already killed lots of em…living story and such, they should be decimated by now…))

Putting/shifting some objectives to the edges of the map would do the trick , too.(skritt camp, lots of unused space behind/under hills)

More map diversity every x matches would be fine. More maps available on every match wouldnt work well in lower tiers…(i guess…see BLs)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gab Superstar.4059

Gab Superstar.4059

I would like to see less emphasis on how much gold a server can throw at WvW. My server has a few dedicated people who spend all they got on siege and upgrades but most of the times it is simply not enough, especially when fighting servers with higher coverage.

A basic “chip-in” system would go a long way (when an upgrade is queued, you get an upgrade where you can chip in a few silver). The issue with siege would not be such an issue if everyone used their siege, but this is often down to commanders to drop siege since they are the ones who know exactly where they want to place it, how they want to face it and such. Perhaps something like a mailbox in your citadel where people who don’t know how to use it can drop their siege to specific players or commanders.

Very Good Detectives [VGD]
Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

We need to remember that Word versus Word is a larger scale of AB(alliance batles) from gw1, but watching just as it, it looks and feels that is to limited and very old stuff.
when Anet introduced WvW into the masses, i and many tough it would be an epic batlefield with something new far far away from the “group avoid n’run” that AB was.

I start to see the redudancy on GW2 WvsW, as the map starts to get old and unactractive(there are old mmo’s with castle siege with a better concept and it is a massive pvp included on pve), the action mmo concept game can be risky as it gets bored faster than the “traditional model” if theres to much of the same to fast, and in WvW when “you” notice that a groupfest can easily tear down a reinforced door in seconds by just weapon atack (PvD), comes to mind, “so thats what this game is about!”

I agree, that there should/could be a lot things to spicen up meta/tactics & strategy in general.

(…)

Map combining metas
Imho, its lacking some meta which combines all maps, i.e.
- Capping/defending ALL camps (and/or guards) in ALL maps should reward a bonus score
- Activation of switches in different parts of ALL JPs should reward WvW bonus score
(+ achievement/rewards for the players)

Maps
Bigger maps are not possible engine-wise atm.
…but unsure if they couldnt add more layers…freezeing the “quaggan lake”, but keeping holes to get under the water…would add a lot of new space.
((Kick out some krait if its a performance issue…we already killed lots of em…living story and such, they should be decimated by now…))

Putting/shifting some objectives to the edges of the map would do the trick , too.(skritt camp, lots of unused space behind/under hills)

More map diversity every x matches would be fine. More maps available on every match wouldnt work well in lower tiers…(i guess…see BLs)

Ditto!

Besides the map modification to the “World of the Mist” not talking the actual arena model, would be fun to had a bit of sandbox allowing guilds that owned a castle to modiffy with pre built models (upgrades)

So here are some ideas:
*Orbs of Power now were Altars/Shrine of Power and would be a phisic builded non movable object.
– can be built on castles only.
– upgrades : provide boons to the respective server, upgrades to fortify the altar.

*Siege:
– Siege mobility (rams, catapult and arrow cart, ballista)
– Add Treb and catapult can fire AOE fire balls.

-Harder castles or more avaliable upgrades.
- Guild hold chest if maintain the castle for + 7 days with only rare + loot.

WvW could be a openworld that servers explore and fight for the conquest!

P.S sorry for the bad english.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nathan Gura.3750

Nathan Gura.3750

As much as I know others won’t share this opinion, there should be 9, maybe 12 global servers, not just based off EU and US. This would reduce the time zone downtimes as there would always be people on guaranteed.

The second thing would be to tighten up WvW populations, make it so a server can only have as many players on as there are on the other servers. Give or take a dozen or so for Johnny Jump Puzzle.

The outmanned buff shouldn’t offer magic find., and be given to the server that is losing the current fight, or if they are just flat out being decimated in the tier.

Everything else, I believe, is just fine.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nathan Gura.3750

Nathan Gura.3750

how about reskinning the grub to Zhaitan but it keeping the grub abilities?
GOM would never win another wvw again ever.

Sorry for the double post, but I have thought of this as well, while the servers are updating, maybe have a massive dragon spawn and you ally up with the other servers to take it down. It could be flying around SM or erupt from the lords room and you fight it around the castle.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cameron.2315

Cameron.2315

Dunno if I can say it but seems archeage with all the stuff you can build and do will be perfect for everyone