The One Solution

The One Solution

in Suggestions

Posted by: Taisia.2813

Taisia.2813

Please take a second and write if you would like to have this feature in the game:

SHORT VERSION:

Daily featured areas where there are bonuses for being and participating in events in the area. Bonuses include:

1. Double or increased XP gains
2. Increased Karma Gains and lessened DR.
3. Increased chance of better loot / exotic/ascended/ precursors from major group event chests
4. Increased rate of event occurrences / tougher mobs etc.

Daily featured dungeons with the same principles

WHY?

Every day you log in you’ll be motivated to find adventure out in the open in a new area facing different dynamic events and bosses or in a new dungeon that you’ve seldom visited before.

THE LONGER VERSION

GW2 is built on a wonderful premise, with level scaling basically the whole world is open to exploration and adventure. And it is a remarkable world with vastly different landscapes, monsters, events and challenges. However unlike the days when the game was released they lie dormant with few people in them. The main cause is that they are not “worth” the time of a level 80 character.

I for one would be so much more inclined to log in every day and adventure in different places, see encounters I might have missed or forgotten. I remember how much fun I had when hundreds were storming a citadel where the centaur boss was located or when we accidentally found a huge elemental boss somewhere I don’t even remember now.

This solution would be very easy to implement for anet and would be a game changer in my opinion. Please share your comments and cheers..

P.S. RP wise the “featured” areas can be dubbed as “Under the shadow of elder dragons” instead of a flat featured area or dungeon of the day title.

(edited by Taisia.2813)

The One Solution

in Suggestions

Posted by: Quaz.4931

Quaz.4931

was done in gw1 and worked very well. One of those things I was surprised wasn’t carried over straight away.

The One Solution

in Suggestions

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

Very nice idea but goes against the idea of nerf loot in order to force players to buy gems to keep up.

The One Solution

in Suggestions

Posted by: Flynch.6034

Flynch.6034

Yup a well thought-out solution. I’d love to have something like this as an added motivator!

The One Solution

in Suggestions

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

Actually this would just move the problem around. What actually needs to happen is to give people natural reasons to visit areas.

The One Solution

in Suggestions

Posted by: phooka.4295

phooka.4295

Actually this would just move the problem around. What actually needs to happen is to give people natural reasons to visit areas.

So give areas boosts (XP, karma, loot…) depending on how long you didn’t do anything there. That would spread out the player base nicely, as each player seeks out areas they havn’t been for a while.

The One Solution

in Suggestions

Flynch.6034

It could be treated like a breadcrumb system. So you have the boosts every alternate day, and the areas that have the boosts lead to a large scale event that already existed with a nice chest at the end. There could be multiple boosted areas each day and have them on a random rotation.

Educating the players and providing knowledge of events and their rewards in different zones might go a long way in spreading the playerbase out more. They are more likely to then revisit these events to get chests outside of the XP boost days.

The One Solution

in Suggestions

Posted by: puffintoast.6501

puffintoast.6501

Very nice idea but goes against the idea of nerf loot in order to force players to buy gems to keep up.

You’ve been paying attention, Narkosys. This one elicited a wry, cynical grin.
’tis a great idea though, and under different circumstances would work a treat.

The One Solution

in Suggestions

Flynch.6034

You’ve been paying attention, Narkosys. This one elicited a wry, cynical grin.
’tis a great idea though, and under different circumstances would work a treat.

Forcing players to keep up? This I do not understand and you’ll have to explain this to me.

Who are we keeping up with? Or who are we meant to be keeping up with, more accurately.

Note: One time reply – let’s not derail this thread.

The One Solution

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

It’s funny cause I think WoW BC and D2 pulled these off. In D2, the “ideal” gear wasn’t all high level and most likely to drop in the highest act. That’s why you had all sorts of various hell/nightmare runs. WoW BC pulled it off by having crafting skills with the ability to make consumables (at least most crafting professions), which in turn required mats that were scattered all about the BC map. But these are vertical progression games.

The natural reason for a horizontal progression game is typically because not doing something can have a profound consequence… when you remove that consequence and heavily weight rewards in favor of higher content, you lessen a player’s motivation to go out of their way to do those events.

The One Solution

in Suggestions

Posted by: Taisia.2813

Taisia.2813

Thanks, but I feel a healthy and engaged population that’s enjoying all the content the game has on offer would further increase avenues for profit for anet as well. The game was designed to make people explore and experience the whole world, but the lack of motivation to do so is pushing people towards a very limited “juicy” portion of the game at the moment.

The One Solution

in Suggestions

Posted by: interpol.2397

interpol.2397

I personally like this idea, and as a poster above said, I’m surprised that something akin to Zaishen quests wasn’t carried over to begin with – maybe they thought that it was not needed.
I think they could put certain aspects of the game on a rotation, so to speak. Explorable areas, dungeons, maybe even jumping puzzles. Change it every 24-48hrs. Some sort of NPC announcer could be placed in LA and/or home cities, so people could check what places are up on that day.

The One Solution

in Suggestions

Posted by: ButterOfDeath.2873

ButterOfDeath.2873

i’d enjoy that.

The One Solution

in Suggestions

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I like the idea of giving L80 players an incentive to focus on non-L80 zones for a while.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

The One Solution

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

This could be implemented as ‘bonus’ entries in the Daily achievements.
You would not need to do anything in that particular area to get the standar Daily rewards, but if you do, you’ll get a little more stuff by doing them in there.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

The One Solution

in Suggestions

Posted by: puffintoast.6501

puffintoast.6501

Thanks, but I feel a healthy and engaged population that’s enjoying all the content the game has on offer would further increase avenues for profit for anet as well. The game was designed to make people explore and experience the whole world, but the lack of motivation to do so is pushing people towards a very limited “juicy” portion of the game at the moment.

A very apt point, Taisia. Opening up the world, and finding new, previously unexplored sources of revenue that tie in with the concept of exploration and expansion is a brilliant concept, and as you point out, would be another avenue for increasing profit.
Unfortunately, as ever, the well-worn path is being trodden by the monetization group that currently rides on the shoulders of the game, seeking simply to copy and paste a method of generating revenue that was designed for a vastly different game into Guild Wars 2, displaying a woefully disparaging attitude toward it’s fundamental design and execution.
But instead of paying heed to the past and present examples of how, and more distressingly when, this concept will fail them, it seems they are intent upon this single-minded determination to staple the how-to from their previous ventures onto our world in Tyria, no matter how blatant and disregarding they appear.
Full steam ahead!

The One Solution

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

+1 I agree with this suggestion. It would encourage people to do anything other than grind the same areas. Plus, the bots wouldn’t be included

The One Solution

in Suggestions

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

A definate yes from me, but only once they fix the level scaling. I don’t like the idea of funnelling everyone into Metrica Province and then having all the high level players absolutely destroy everything while low-levels are just trying to level up and enjoy the game.

The One Solution

in Suggestions

Posted by: Reverielle.3972

Reverielle.3972

I like the idea of providing incentives. Unfortunately apart from point 4 in the op’s post, the other points (1 to 3) are just based solely on rewards/materials. This, personally, is a very bad idea.

The player base is materialistically obsessed enough these days. One must challenge the developers to think of different ways to to get people to realise that enjoyment in these games can be had in other ways than just the fleeting and egocentricity that comes with getting ‘loot’.

Afterall that was one of the great ‘draw cards’ of GW2 as touted by the developers in the first place: A unique MMO experience.

The One Solution

in Suggestions

Posted by: FaRectification.5678

FaRectification.5678

Taisia, that is a horrible idea that doesn’t solve anything, take a look at this thread:

In it I briefly mention what you’re talking about.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Solving-the-issue-of-vertical-progression/first#post968528

In it it says:

By the way, I made a post on the WoW forums a long time ago, concerning level scaling. I’m glad that ANet has incorporated this into their game thus far. But I believe it can be stretched even further than just an enjoyability factor for older content. Older content can give renewed loot and purpose. The higher level you are the more it scales to give you better chances to kill easy mobs to get higher-end loot matching your level. This plays on dynamics very well.

For instance, the drop rates would be modified so that they would be extremely low, however if a character is able to chain dynamic skills very well he could take advantage of those low lvl areas as a lvl 80 and gain more than the steady rate of drops offered by regular lvl 80 mobs. This is a generic play on dynamics. And it is also quite balanced. Skillful players will be rewarded accordingly, and less-skilled players will suffer a bit more, but this is generally how it is. As with any design work, the devs will balance such skill discrepancies out themselves so as to prevent balance from going through the roof. This is the concept of depth-design. The idea presented with “evening the playing field” as found in some previous game designs such as Starcraft 2 was incorrect because it eventually didn’t allow for skill progression at all. The way you even the playing field for more skilled and less skilled players is essentially just an ordinary balance problem, if highly skilled players are rewarded too much and it generates too large of a gap, that is just a mere balance problem. This is not really an issue.

By the way, why does a post like this garner more views than my engineering thread?

My thread: Solving the Issue of Vertical Progression is very important, I highly suggest people including the devs to take a look at it, it might just work or offer some insight on the treadmill problem overall (and not only renewed interest in older areas problem), I too also knew about lvl-scaling way back then already, and I’m glad the devs have incorporated it to make older areas more interesting.

Purist, Idealist, and Theorist.

(edited by FaRectification.5678)

The One Solution

in Suggestions

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The OP isn’t addressing vertical progression. It’s about encouraging people to return to lower-level zones or otherwise less-frequented parts of popular zones.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

The One Solution

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Yeah. They are two distinct issues. It’s like with GW1’s Zaishen quests. They are not there to make more fun doing several things, but to encourage people to play together and focus on certain spots in the world instead spreading all the time all over the world.

But just a single area could be troublesome, getting lots of Overflows, so it might be better if there was more than one possible area in worlds with more population in which it’s rather rare to walk around without ever seeing anyone else.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!