The camera zooms too far out...

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bedinar.1754

Bedinar.1754

Why did you make the game less fun? Now the camera zooms out as far as all the other mmos. The game is no longer a action mmo, its playing with a tiny little character. Luckily I play an ele so I can still see my skill animations as the class tends towards the flashy.

Get this in before people start with the “just zoom the camera in if you like it that way.” This game tends towards pvp as the endgame. And while in pve I will move my camera forward, I CAN’T do that in in pvp. Thats like playing without a couple pieces of armor. Just plain stupid. Its a handicap to zoom in.

I really liked that there was the possibility of sneaking around behind someone in this game. It was fun, and it made it so good players were constantly turning around and making sure that no baddies were behind them ready to pounce. Now we’re playing another single unit RTS.

What you had it at previously was a good compromise. I preferred where you had it in the beta weekends, up close and personal, but I understand that some people really really hated it, so I kept quiet and accepted that a little further out was going to happen.

Heck, I almost feel like I’m playing wow again, and thats not really a good feeling. I liked that this game was different.

TLDR: Please go back to the previous zoom distance. Action MMO… It was awesome. Now it feels like wow, where you can barely see your toon.

Fort Aspenwood
Human Ele – Koenix
Sylvari Mesmer – Tenshi No Kanade

in Suggestions

Posted by: Le Chiffre.7502

Le Chiffre.7502

I agree, it feels way too much like WoW. The closer angle made the game much more unique and exciting. Those that complained probably never took time to get used to it and expected that this game should be played exactly like WoW. But this isn’t WoW. Its GW2.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

You can always zoom the camera back in if you like it. Proper visibility, especially in regards to the poor rangers and their terrible pet AI (seriously, not A-net’s strong point), is a very good thing.

Now I can see everything I want to see, and you can zoom the camera in and lock it if you want. I don’t understand how this is a bad thing.

How far that little candle throws its beams!
So shines a good deed in a naughty world.
- William Shakespear

in Suggestions

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

You can always zoom the camera back in if you like it. Proper visibility, especially in regards to the poor rangers and their terrible pet AI (seriously, not A-net’s strong point), is a very good thing.

Now I can see everything I want to see, and you can zoom the camera in and lock it if you want. I don’t understand how this is a bad thing.

People have OPTIONS? THE HORROR

sarcasm aside, you have the option to zoom in, other people think that the camera is waaaayy to close and want it further, like mad king further.

to limit options for other people is a bad idea, because your view isnt the only view. Maybe suggest a ‘maximum camera range’ slider in the options menu which would lock the maximum distance your camera can go. Problem solved and nobody’s toes are stepped on as everyone can adjust their camera distance accordingly.

in Suggestions

Posted by: iris.4620

iris.4620

i like the actual maximum level of “zoom out” instead, above all in WvsW. If you don’t like it, you can “zoom in” a little imho…

in Suggestions

Posted by: soulwblood.1529

soulwblood.1529

U_U first the camera is too zoomed in, then the camera is too zoomed out. Like being able to zoom the camera out more than before was a problem. You can still adjust the camera the way you like it. This post was a complete useless waste of time.

in Suggestions

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

Seriously?! You are complaining because we have more options now?

In my book, the cam is still too close, we should be able to zoom all the way out, just like it is during some encoutners like the Mad King.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

In my book, the cam is still too close, we should be able to zoom all the way out, just like it is during some encoutners like the Mad King.

That would be gamebreaking, at least for PvP.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

in Suggestions

Posted by: Evoked.2176

Evoked.2176

Don’t like it being zoom out too much, as it gives a birds eye view, especially in a pvp scenario it is not that nice, the suspense is taken away.

Zoom out in MK dungeon is okay though, because it is a pve instance and it is nice to have whatever distance you like.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kojiden.8405

Kojiden.8405

The issue with the camera zooming out too far isn’t an issue of choice. The problem is that you HAVE to be zoomed out as far as possible in PVP. In PVP the choice is either to nerf yourself or not nerf yourself.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Roktar.2497

Roktar.2497

I love the zoom out camera right now, you have better control of the situation around you.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Eltrow.6382

Eltrow.6382

I dont agree, i think its awesome to finally be able to see the beautiful world. In pvp its abit too much, but it certainly needs to be way bigger than before.

Tho for pvp I would like one of these 3:

Note: Last picture is fully maxed out

Attachments:

in Suggestions

Posted by: GADefence.5634

GADefence.5634

WHOAH WAIT, they finally gave us the zoom from those camera mods that I saw that let us basically have the GW1 zoom as our normal zoom?

ANet does love us.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Eltrow.6382

Eltrow.6382

WHOAH WAIT, they finally gave us the zoom from those camera mods that I saw that let us basically have the GW1 zoom as our normal zoom?

ANet does love us.

No its a bug that you can use it if you have been into the Halloween mad king boss. But as long as they doesnt give it to us within some months im off!

in Suggestions

Bedinar.1754

sarcasm aside, you have the option to zoom in, other people think that the camera is waaaayy to close and want it further, like mad king further.

to limit options for other people is a bad idea, because your view isnt the only view. Maybe suggest a ‘maximum camera range’ slider in the options menu which would lock the maximum distance your camera can go. Problem solved and nobody’s toes are stepped on as everyone can adjust their camera distance accordingly.

Fort Aspenwood
Human Ele – Koenix

in Suggestions

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

That would be gamebreaking, at least for PvP.

I don’t agree with that. It would have its impact on s/tPvP – WvW not so much, cause it wouldn’t change the fact that you don’t see enemy zergs at all – but it would not breakt it.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

in Suggestions

Bedinar.1754

Let people have as much zoom as they want in pve, I don’t care how you play pve, but in pvp it is a problem. Your suggestion is that I bring a knife to a gun fight and be happy about it. If I zoom in back to where it was before they moved it then I have essentially nerfed myself.

Also the greater camera zoom out is bad for pvp. Before you could be smart and sneak up on people, now you just zoom out until you can see everything easily.

Once again I understand that my viewpoint isn’t the only one, which is why I did not complain about it the first time they moved it out (it was a lot closer during the betas), but now I decided to voice my opinion since they have shown that they do at least take opinions of their fans into consideration. It may not change anything, but I felt like voicing the fact that some of us liked some of Anets original decisions.

P.S. Options do have to be limited in some ways. Its a game and it has competition involved. If having all options was the way to go then the wvw hackers are just using their option to fly. Their do have to be some limits in a game, that is part of the game.

Fort Aspenwood
Human Ele – Koenix

in Suggestions

Posted by: RoflandRoll.2810

RoflandRoll.2810

I would love the zoom to be this far. It would allow for better screen shots of certain events and such

in Suggestions

castlemanic.3198

Let people have as much zoom as they want in pve, I don’t care how you play pve, but in pvp it is a problem. Your suggestion is that I bring a knife to a gun fight and be happy about it. If I zoom in back to where it was before they moved it then I have essentially nerfed myself.

Also the greater camera zoom out is bad for pvp. Before you could be smart and sneak up on people, now you just zoom out until you can see everything easily.

Once again I understand that my viewpoint isn’t the only one, which is why I did not complain about it the first time they moved it out (it was a lot closer during the betas), but now I decided to voice my opinion since they have shown that they do at least take opinions of their fans into consideration. It may not change anything, but I felt like voicing the fact that some of us liked some of Anets original decisions.

P.S. Options do have to be limited in some ways. Its a game and it has competition involved. If having all options was the way to go then the wvw hackers are just using their option to fly. Their do have to be some limits in a game, that is part of the game.

So i was just checking the camera in the game to see what you were complaining about, and you honestly think that the camera is too far? for pvp? Really?

true, any farther and it would hamper pvp, but this distance is nowhere near the RTS style that you claim it to be. Most RPGs that i’ve ever played, online or offline, have had camera zoom distances farther out than this.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Voonith.2561

Voonith.2561

I actually just came on, making my first post, to suggest the opposite of our opening post. I have been playing since early access and have always wished that we had a greater distance option on the camera’s zoom. Comparing this to WoW or any other MMO is irrelevant. My reasoning is autonomous; I simply love the landscapes and environments in GW2 so much and feel that I can appreciate them better should I choose to when I can zoom the camera out twice the distance.

I was so happy when this was the case for the Halloween event!
But now it has been removed and I felt rather heartbroken.

For those who don’t like it, there could be a box in the Options menu that people can tick to turn on or off the long distance camera.

While I agree that the action oriented (and weapon swapping) combat system is one of the best aspects of GW2, and that the extended zoom isn’t the best for some your combat scenarios, I have equally found times where AOE or large dynamic battles are more enjoyable when I can zoom out further as well. Sometimes I would like to watch the entire battle happening within its environment rather than watch a bunch of characters all clumped up against a Champion, over-saturating the screen with GW2’s excellent animation.

The option to turn on extra zoom would be extraordinary, and ArenaNet has shown us that it is built in. I prefer to have the option there than not at all, and I already miss it.

All’s fair in love and Wuv.
[ART] Gate of Madness

in Suggestions

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

This thread has to be a joke. If you don’t like maximum zoom, don’t zoom all the way out. I love the new change.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Miss Pink Floyd.9730

Miss Pink Floyd.9730

Seriously? Why not just zoom back in? I happen to like the zoom and I know many others do too. That is why it is adjustable. Also, after the FOV change, I still think a slider should be added to give everyone a chance to set it the way they like it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: zaxziakohl.5243

zaxziakohl.5243

I love the new zoom we had in the Mad King instance (and after bug wise ). However, even I will admit that the max zoom, on my asura anyway, is a bit far. I felt like a tiny speck on the ground.

This DOES NOT mean that they should just leave it close up and make us suffer.

I would be perfectly fine with a happy medium zoom. Zoom out a lot, but not as much as the Mad King instance, except in the cases of World events.

I would LOVE to be able to see more than a foot when fighting a dragon lol. A happy medium would be perfectly fine for pvp as well, as it would not be so far as to allow viewing over walls.

IF they do a larger zoom out, which I hope they do, they can solve some of the pvp issues by moving the character down from the center of your screen.

Here is one picture, with some paint drawing explaining what I mean. I think it could be beneficial for all players!

Enjoy! I hope ANet looks at this btw. It would allow both zoomed in and zoomed out modes of gameplay to be viable.

Sorry I can’t think of a way to take a screen shot that would show actual position better, but I think you guys will get it lol.

Attachments:

in Suggestions

Posted by: TravisTrout.6803

TravisTrout.6803

I can’t believe someone even posted this. Scroll the camera to whatever zoom level makes you happy but please keep your hands off of my camera controls.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dzonatan.5327

Dzonatan.5327

I understand that some people really really hated it, so I kept quiet and accepted that a little further out was going to happen.

Please go back to the previous zoom distance

Make up your mind already!

There are already tools out there which help you modify your camera view so this discussion is moot.

Anet need to realize that some people will stop at nothing to eat their french fries with mayonese, no matter how much they dislike it.

(edited by Dzonatan.5327)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Manifibel.8420

Manifibel.8420

The camera dosnt need to be changed at all. Sure at first when we got into the game it was a little, “I have to get used to this” But now I never really think of it. Only if I read a post like this.

Placing the character closer to the ground would feel wrong in my opinion. Like I would see to much of the sky and less of the ground where the ground effect and rings are.
What I wanna say in short. Its fine. Please dont touch the max distance.

Dungeons being about how fast you clear then compared to being able to clear them makes me sad.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nappychappy.7046

Nappychappy.7046

I loved the amount of zoom we had during MK event, though it seems they have changed it back to default which is a shame. I really miss WoW’s camera, imo it’s the best camera in any mmo I’ve ever played and to top it off, if you want more range you can do it via macro.

ANet should just stop controlling people and let the decide by adding a range slider in the options. If you like looking at your fat norn’s back, then go ahead and do that, me, I’d rather not have a headache, so I’d max that baby out!

First things first, fix the camera so it doesn’t bounce, snag, or zoom while “spinning” side to side and then give us a kitten range slider so we can decide!!!

tl;dr Stop taking options away! oh yeah and remove DR’s – its killing our game.

You are using 21 of 100 infractions ermm, PMs.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tauril.8504

Tauril.8504

I love the new zoom we had in the Mad King instance (and after bug wise ). However, even I will admit that the max zoom, on my asura anyway, is a bit far. I felt like a tiny speck on the ground.

This DOES NOT mean that they should just leave it close up and make us suffer.

I would be perfectly fine with a happy medium zoom. Zoom out a lot, but not as much as the Mad King instance, except in the cases of World events.

I would LOVE to be able to see more than a foot when fighting a dragon lol. A happy medium would be perfectly fine for pvp as well, as it would not be so far as to allow viewing over walls.

IF they do a larger zoom out, which I hope they do, they can solve some of the pvp issues by moving the character down from the center of your screen.

Here is one picture, with some paint drawing explaining what I mean. I think it could be beneficial for all players!

Enjoy! I hope ANet looks at this btw. It would allow both zoomed in and zoomed out modes of gameplay to be viable.

Sorry I can’t think of a way to take a screen shot that would show actual position better, but I think you guys will get it lol.

Ah ! Some constructive feedback ! Thank you for pointing that there is more to this topic than just the value of the zoom.
Your screenshot explanations are perfect

in Suggestions

Posted by: nysta.6713

nysta.6713

i love the new zoom. now i don’t feel like throwing up all the time in tight areas.

in Suggestions

Bedinar.1754

It looks like what I was seeing with my characters was just the bug from the mad king dungeon. I’m sorry for freaking out a bit. (I did wvw right after the dungeon which is why I was really annoyed). It seems that they didn’t make any changes to the actually zoom distances, it was just a bug that happened often (besides the initial change that they did after feedback from the beta weekends, I don’t mind this zoom distance, its a decent compromise and I feel most people are ok with it even if its not to their perfect liking). Anyways, thanks all for the discussion. I hope you all have a great time playing, and sorry it took me a while to get back here to admit my mistake. Life has been busy lately.

Fort Aspenwood
Human Ele – Koenix

in Suggestions

castlemanic.3198

It looks like what I was seeing with my characters was just the bug from the mad king dungeon. I’m sorry for freaking out a bit. (I did wvw right after the dungeon which is why I was really annoyed). It seems that they didn’t make any changes to the actually zoom distances, it was just a bug that happened often (besides the initial change that they did after feedback from the beta weekends, I don’t mind this zoom distance, its a decent compromise and I feel most people are ok with it even if its not to their perfect liking). Anyways, thanks all for the discussion. I hope you all have a great time playing, and sorry it took me a while to get back here to admit my mistake. Life has been busy lately.

Holy moly, let me apologise. i thought you were talking about the regular zoom and not the mad king zoom option (and im sure many people thought so too). That mad king zoom would have made pvp an RTS with a single character, i agree lol.