The lost of interest in sPvP and how to fix it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Flagship.4627

Flagship.4627

Anet has clearly shown that they want dynamic and competitive PvP. I really don’t want to have a “The end is nigh!” attitude but, as far as PvP is concerned, things are dire.

Until probably a month ago, I was crazy excited about GW2 becoming an Esport or at least a game with a great competitive scene. Unfortunately, I’m still left waiting…

I joined a Guild of some of the old school HoH and GvG elites (Rank 15+, Number 2 in GVG), we were biting at the chops to pwn n00bs. That excitement lasted about two weeks. Since then, 70% of the guild has quit, the rest has moved onto PvE. It took me a while to figure out why my passion for PvP wasn’t there. I thought we just needed ranks and tournaments to give the motivation, I was wrong.

Unfortunately, Spectator mode, ranking systems, and monthly/yearly tournaments won’t be enough. I’m sure you have noticed Heart of the Mists has become a ghost town. 70% of the hot join servers are empty. There is a tiny amount of players actually interested in the paid tournaments. I’m a MOD on Powerr’s twitch channel, he’s currently number 2 in the US for qualifier points. In his matches, they really only play maybe 4-5 different teams. Most days only one to two paid tournaments are going, resulting in almost a 45 minute wait. Do you think Anet added a brand new feature that less that 100 people wanted to play? It is quite clear that player’s interest in PvP has dropped significantly.

sPvP and tPvP are not cutting it.

A game type where capturing/hold points is just not interesting enough by itself. The victory conditions create games where there is no room for strategy. There isn’t enough tactical decisions to make that persist throughout the game. Yeah, you can say “Hey you two go Keep.” But, the repercussions of that choice are fleeting and often unimportant. Capturing Points and killing enemy players ends up just being a head-count, were you try to locate enemies and find group fights or 1v1s are are to your advantage. Strategy is only important in the immediate term, you want to find the enemies position and kill them when you have an advantage.

Games are often decided based on the first few deaths. If 3 of your 5 team members die in the first encounter, from there, a good team will just beat you in the ‘head count’. Killing you individually and out numbering you, all while those Capture points count up the score.

Now, things like tactics, scouting, and player position aren’t bad, they are only bad when that’s all there is.

sPvP and tPvP is still fun. I prefer the Quick-Joins because it reminds me of GW: Alliance Battles. It was a place were you could test out builds and casually dick around with friends. But, it’s not enough to keep me interested for very long. Competitive teams need more to chew on.

Guild Wars 2 needs GvG!

If Guild Wars 2 wants to become an eSport, it needs to learn from the success of others. For example, MOBAs have a key element that many competitive PvPers want and that is: Resource Management. Elements of WvW could be easily implemented to add resource management. This give teams the ability to make interesting decisions that effect the course of the game.

I really don’t think GvG would be that difficult to develop. You really just need to combine elements of sPvP and WvW and apply them to a 8vs8 or 5vs5 map. Important elements would be things like: NPCs, Gates, Siege Equipment, Supply, Capture points, Mini-bosses, portals, and of course a Guild Lord.

I could go on and on about what I’d like to see in GvG and feel free to post things you want to see.

But, the main goal of this post was to get Anet to realize PvP is dying not because of the lack of features, it’s because the gametype is boring, rigid, and lacks true strategic options. If Anet thinks a game type that lasts 5-10 minutes revolving around 3 capture points is somehow going to become an eSport, they need to wake up.

(edited by Flagship.4627)

in Suggestions

Posted by: moose.6973

moose.6973

Agreed. If they worked on a PvP even 1/10 as hard as they worked on the halloween event, it would make a lot of people extremely happy.

I just had a friend quit bc of the sheer lack of pvp in this game. What is here is fun, and I am glad Anet made such a good game, but it could be so much closer to ‘THAT game’ if some things were added.

in Suggestions

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

I agree wholeheartedly. To add to the points made by TC, one of the most common criticisms about this game’s pvp is that there’s little incentive for those interested to keep on playing. I believe that this issue has been crippling the PvP community. With fewer players motivated to play, there are fewer people on the boards sharing their experiences and discussing their builds because there’s nothing else that they want from PvP.

My experience with PvP is very limited since I planned to hold off on it until my friends could start playing with me, but as of now I’m afraid that when they do start playing they’re going to ask if its worth continuing to do so. The addition of new modes and/or better incentives may at the very least fix my concerns about it. As with the previous poster, I’m glad Anet designed a wonderful game with such an engaging combat system, and with a bit fixing of I’m confident that you guys can bring the PvP community back to a healthy state.

(edited by TwoBit.5903)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Genreninja.8516

Genreninja.8516

I know anet has spoken about making sPvP a viable eSport so I’m sure they have plans to give it some more love in time.

GW1 didn’t start seeing it’s real PvP polish until later. I expect the same here.

in Suggestions

Flagship.4627

I’d diagree Genreninja. GW 1 had GvG, HoH, and TA right out of the box. Way more features. Guild Wars 2 pvp was much more barebones.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Genreninja.8516

Genreninja.8516

that’s true, but it didn’t start seeing it’s polish until several months later. HoH for example was very different at release, and even the original reward system wasn’t implemented until 2 months later.

But GW1 although it implemented more sooner, it didn’t follow the “It’ll be ready when its ready” philosophy GW2 follows. Although the systems and features that are in game aren’t perfect, the “big picture” is very full and round.

in Suggestions

Posted by: zencow.3651

zencow.3651

Their idea that having different formats causing split-up in the playerbase is just completely flawed. With just stale boring Capture Points there won’t BE a playerbase.

Quasi-elitist dungeoneer and missing Gw1 GvGs greatly.
“GW2’s PvE is almost as bad as the PvP.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fievre.4510

Fievre.4510

Their idea that having different formats causing split-up in the playerbase is just completely flawed. With just stale boring Capture Points there won’t BE a playerbase.

Yesss. Capture points are kind of lame. Fun sometimes, but it isn’t what I want to always be doing. Death match, capture the flag, etc. would all add a lot of flavor. Even just a few new game types would hold me over for now.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nox Aeterna.2965

Nox Aeterna.2965

People must slow down , there is a PvP team , those guys must divide their attetion over lots of things. In time they will be adding things.

Im guessing they are focusing on trying to balance all they can atm.

Gear Grind: Confirmed – Searching New MMO: Found – Changing MMO: Waiting Launch

in Suggestions

Flagship.4627

Nox Aeterna, I agree we shouldn’t expect Anet to have everything done and perfect right away. But, if you didn’t notice in my post only 40-80 players are participating in Paid sPvP tournaments across all US servers. I’m sure more people are playing Online Quake 1 than that. This is clearly unacceptable. It’s not that their PvP team isn’t doing anything, they are putting their effort in the wrong places. They developed a paid tournament system that very few people are interested in.

What I’d like to see is Anet stop working on their current sPvP and tPvP maps and features and start working on a new/better gametype. One that people will actually want to play.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nivelis.8763

Nivelis.8763

GW1 was so good because it was one of the best PvP mmorpg games ever created. Wtf happened? The recipe was so easy – transfer GvG and HA to GW2, make some PvP arenas for 1-4 players and some simple PvE content for relax. It worked in GW1, why it was cutted-off? We got now some interesting PvE game with shooter-like sPvP and very good, but slowly improved, WvW – thats not enough to keep this game alive for 6 months!