The non-grinding philosophy has failed

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

From what I can see right now in the game, the non-grinding philosophy of A-Net has failed. People grind events for karma, grind dungeons for armors, grind for catching up with the storyline requirement.

A non-grinding solution would be to get the necessary experience to complete storyline in a row. This means that a player can start a new character and just follow the storyline and unlocking WP or zones and get all the exp he needs to continue its personal story.

But away form this, A-net is just forcing people either to do zone completion or just grind a small aria for events.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cirroq.2531

Cirroq.2531

This sounds like you would like to level from 0-80 doing the story line quest alone without interacting with anyone else. I think you can buy a copy of Skyrm for about $40 now…

in Suggestions

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

On Karma:

They’ve also introduced Karma for Dailies and Dungeons now. If people choose to do Events, that’s up to them surely?

On Dungeon Gear:

Doing each of the 3 paths once a day will net you your entire armour set as well as 2 weapons in about 11 -12 days (180 tokens a day). I’d hardly call that ‘grinding’.

On Storyline:

I personally never had that problem, but then again, I wasn’t playing with the storyline specifically. I suppose if you only want to do the storyline you’d consider it a ‘grind’.

I think people are confusing the terms ‘grind’ (having to repeat content over and over in order to access other content) with ‘playing the game’.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dreamwalker.3617

Dreamwalker.3617

I really don’t have this problem. I play the personal story, but I’ve never had to ‘grind’ to get to the next chapter.

There’s a whole world of events and hearts and things to do. Nobody’s making you do the same thing over and over. Even as a low-level, when your areas are more limited, there’s still miles of stuff to do; high-levels can visit all kinds of places and do hundreds of events and hearts, many of which are more complex and fun than the low-level ones.

If you want to grind, fine. But there’s tons of other stuff to do to get those couple extra levels.

That was so funny, I laughed twice.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Apathy.6430

Apathy.6430

From what I can see right now in the game, the non-grinding philosophy of A-Net has failed. People grind events for karma, grind dungeons for armors, grind for catching up with the storyline requirement.

It’s impossible to have a game where people don’t do the same things over and over but still somehow keep playing longer than a couple months.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

It’s impossible to have a game where people don’t do the same things over and over but still somehow keep playing longer than a couple months.

Well there are people from different backgrounds.

For someone who’s used to ridiculous grinding, such as in older RPGs (I am looking at you, Diablo 2!) are rather used to it. However, there’s plenty of people who never even had a proper chance or reason to play those games. There’s plenty of people who’s main game time is spent on a console. Now console games play very differently. Nintendo is a whole company who’s been making millions for decades making casual games and systems. RPGs on the console, such as Final Fantasy, lacked a grinding element, unless you wanted to have “everything”.

Of course, the whole achievement thing has kinda made it all crumble. They can always get a small quantity of people to buy their game just by sticking in a platinum “Do everything” achievement.

But yes, the OP looks like someone who’s used to single player RPGs. Those are mostly a console thing. Not really a wonder though: GW is pretty much the only MMORPG out there that is not running a subscription or an f2p.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Curae.1837

Curae.1837

I personally wouldn’t call that grinding…
Events are (with a few exceptions) quite short, they’re fun to do, and give a nice reward. Not a grind to me.
Dungeons are imo a lot of fun to do and don’t feel like a grind at all. Especially not when you go with some friends and have teamspeak on… it goes from fun to hilarious in my case…
Grinding to catch up with the storyline… never did that. I go around the world, explore, do the hearts and events I encounter and before I notice I’m over the minimum level for my story already…

Grinding for me is killing mobs over and over again, because it’s the only way to get something. Be it levels, be it money, be it drops.
So far I haven’t felt the need to grind, because there’s other and more fun ways to get whatever needed.

“When we remember that we are all mad.
The mysteries dissapear and life stands explained.”

in Suggestions

Ronah.2869

Well, I think you guys didn’t understand very good what I meant. I think grinding for getting the required level for the storyline breaks the immersion in that story.

Imagine the human storyline – you need to find the medicine fast but hey, you need to grind 10 events because your level is too low. What emergency is then if you, the hero, are wasting precious time doing random stuff instead hurrying up to get it?

No one can say they have no trouble with leveling, because no matter how good you are you can’t go through the story without doing some events on the way.
In GW1, you could do just the primary quests and missions one after another without doing any secondary quests.

For an example, running through Factions storyline could be done in 10-15h. So, no matter from what background people come from, this idea was present in GW1 – leveling through the storyline.

Also, level requirement for armors and weapons is also a grinding system which didn’t exist in GW1 either.

(edited by Ronah.2869)

in Suggestions

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I hate it when people use the suggestion section to complain… at least make an attempt to, I don’t know, suggest some solutions to the problem.

in Suggestions

Ronah.2869

I hate it when people use the suggestion section to complain… at least make an attempt to, I don’t know, suggest some solutions to the problem.

Have you read the entire post? There is the solution