Thief Finishing a Target

Thief Finishing a Target

in Suggestions

Posted by: Reincarnated.1754

Reincarnated.1754

When you finish off an enemy, isn’t this a weapon/killing skill?

Who thinks the Thief should be visible when it is doing this?

Everyone else has to stand there vunreble while they do it.

While im on about Thiefs are you sure there stelth aoe is limited to 5 ppl, i have been in big groups and the Thief seams to vanish for everyone.

Thief Finishing a Target

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ciraph Firenze.8409

Ciraph Firenze.8409

I think you’re misunderstanding – perhaps you mean Shadow Refuge can hide only 5 people? Because when a Thief class uses a cloaking ability, he/she vanishes for everyone.

Thief Finishing a Target

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ciraph Firenze.8409

Ciraph Firenze.8409

And a thief shouldn’t be visible whilst performing finishers, because they’re thieves. They have cloaking abilities for a reason.

Thief Finishing a Target

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nidome.1365

Nidome.1365

I have a level 80 thief myself which I play on occasion in WvW.
Attacking is mean to break stealth, finishing is an attack.
As soon as a thief clicks that button to start the finishing move they should become visible otherwsie it makes a mockery of the attacking breaking stealth.
I’m sure this is an oversight due to finishing not using standard combat rules which I would hope would be fixed at some point.

Thief Finishing a Target

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

It is a valid arguement, but then they would have to rework stability during finishers and rework quickness during finishers. They are all disadvantages towards other professions who can’t do those things. Stealth finishers are a problem, but not the only one.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

Thief Finishing a Target

in Suggestions

Posted by: slickassassin.4317

slickassassin.4317

Yeah like attack speed buffs let you do a finisher in 1 sec.. ^^

Thief Finishing a Target

in Suggestions

Posted by: Blueshield.6291

Blueshield.6291

While im on about Thiefs are you sure there stelth aoe is limited to 5 ppl, i have been in big groups and the Thief seams to vanish for everyone.

In that case, starting to perform a finisher should drop stealth from Mesmers (who can also stealth) as well as drop Endure Pain off of warriors, Mist Form and Obsidian Flesh from elementalists, and remove Aegis, Stability, Protection, Retaliation, and Regeneration from guardians.

Oh, wait, or we could just let the thieves use their class-specific mechanic. You know, like ALL the other classes do in PvP.

Thief Finishing a Target

in Suggestions

Posted by: Air.6452

Air.6452

The downed state is suppose to be an obvious disadvantage. If you get downed, you pretty much deserve to die, so whether or not a thief goes into stealth is irrelevant.

You already lost.

Chody – Leader of We Came To Dance GW2
Crystal Desert
We Came To Dance [WCTD]

Thief Finishing a Target

in Suggestions

Reincarnated.1754

I thought it was a simple rule, you cant atack when in stelth mode.
I have no problem with a thief being invisible, the thief can sneek and hide from me all it likes.
But when i am being hit by one, don’t you think I should know about it?

It seems then, when i get ataked by a thief, I go and make a cup of tea.

Maybe those that disagree with this argument can tell us how to survive an attak? Oh wait, I know the answer, dont be an elementalists whith a staff. Be a Thief, Mesmer or Ranger like every one else. haha

Thanks for the feedback guys

Thief Finishing a Target

in Suggestions

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

When starting a finisher, all buffs should be removed…ALL of them. Protection/regen/stability/retaliation/quickness/haste/shrink potion/stealth/etc…

Makes it fair for everyone then and no more complaining about it.

Thief Finishing a Target

in Suggestions

Posted by: alamore.1974

alamore.1974

In that case, starting to perform a finisher should drop stealth from Mesmers (who can also stealth) as well as drop Endure Pain off of warriors, Mist Form and Obsidian Flesh from elementalists, and remove Aegis, Stability, Protection, Retaliation, and Regeneration from guardians.

Oh, wait, or we could just let the thieves use their class-specific mechanic. You know, like ALL the other classes do in PvP.

Sounds like someone doesn’t want their thief to get less OP lol.
Finishing someone is a aggressive act and should be treated like all of the other aggressive skills and cause the thief to DE cloak.

It’s one thing I love about my thief but it needs to be fixed.

Also I don’t believe you can finish some one in mist form.

Thief Finishing a Target

in Suggestions

Reincarnated.1754

I think i should have w8ed untill after the update before i replied. hahaha

Thief Finishing a Target

in Suggestions

Blueshield.6291

Sounds like someone doesn’t want their thief to get less OP lol.
Finishing someone is a aggressive act and should be treated like all of the other aggressive skills and cause the thief to DE cloak.

It’s one thing I love about my thief but it needs to be fixed.

Also I don’t believe you can finish some one in mist form.

Yes, because my opinion is different from yours I clearly must have a hidden motive.

If you want to put performing a finishing move on the same basis as utilizing an aggressive skill – which is a completely valid point – then executing a finisher should cause the thief to de-stealth upon completion of the finisher, which is the same way all attacks work when stealthed. If a thief uses an attack while stealthed which fails to hit an enemy, the thief remains stealthed.

You can finish enemies while in mist form. And several classes have gimmicks equally if not more effective for completing finishers than stealth. And thieves aren’t the only class with access to stealth.

When starting a finisher, all buffs should be removed…ALL of them. Protection/regen/stability/retaliation/quickness/haste/shrink potion/stealth/etc…

Makes it fair for everyone then and no more complaining about it.

Incorrect. This approach favors heavy armor classes over medium armor classes, and mediums over lights. As it stands currently, every class has some tactic or skill available to give themselves an advantage when finishing, and those are reasonably balanced against one another such that no class has a substantial advantage.

Thieves get targeted in the issue of finishers simply because within the thief class, the vast majority of players utilize stealth to at least some extent. The silly thing is that it is astoundingly easy to prevent thieves from stealth-finishing – fire off AoEs and non-targetted CCs. Nobody makes any noise about warriors or elementalists using their invulnerability skills to finish, and you can’t even counter those.

Thief Finishing a Target

in Suggestions

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

And a thief shouldn’t be invisible whilst performing finishers, because they’re attacking

I fixed your comment for you.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Thief Finishing a Target

in Suggestions

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

So a Thief using his only means of defence that still leaves him vulnerable to any attack (he’s still there, he’s just not visible and has nothing in the way of invulnerability) is unacceptable, but any other profession using skills that make them completely untouchable and unstoppable (ACTUAL invulnerability) while finishing is perfectly fine?

The horrendous bias towards Thieves is disgusting. Stop crying and think with a level head for once.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

Thief Finishing a Target

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

So a Thief using his only means of defence that still leaves him vulnerable to any attack (he’s still there, he’s just not visible and has nothing in the way of invulnerability) is unacceptable, but any other profession using skills that make them completely untouchable and unstoppable (ACTUAL invulnerability) while finishing is perfectly fine?

The horrendous bias towards Thieves is disgusting. Stop crying and think with a level head for once.

My point exactly. Take ele or warrior who can pop stability during a finisher, or a warrior + stability + quickness. Stealth sure, it is slightly cheap to finish someone with it (although I still do it if I’m surrounded by enemies and (s)he’s down) but just about everyone has obnoxious moves to finish someone off. But, for once this wasn’t a “Nerf thief Dmg” post and for that, I thank you.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

Thief Finishing a Target

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cloud.7613

Cloud.7613

This. Apart from stability+quickness stomping which you’re still in harms way, Invis stomping you cannot be targetted. There has to be a drawn back from invis stomping, but there is not.

Thief Finishing a Target

in Suggestions

Blueshield.6291

This. Apart from stability+quickness stomping which you’re still in harms way, Invis stomping you cannot be targetted. There has to be a drawn back from invis stomping, but there is not.

Uh, there is quite a large draw back. Unlike warriors and elementalists who can pop stability+invuln and finish with no risk to themselves, thieves, while untargetable, can still be hit and killed with AoEs. Since the majority of a thief’s survivability is attained through high mobility and dodging, the only line of defense they have when finishing is stealth.

Seriously, just drop AoEs on downed friendlies. You’ll get more thief kills than you would believe.

Thief Finishing a Target

in Suggestions

Posted by: Air.6452

Air.6452

Uh, there is quite a large draw back. Unlike warriors and elementalists who can pop stability+invuln and finish with no risk to themselves, thieves, while untargetable, can still be hit and killed with AoEs. Since the majority of a thief’s survivability is attained through high mobility and dodging, the only line of defense they have when finishing is stealth.

Seriously, just drop AoEs on downed friendlies. You’ll get more thief kills than you would believe.

Yup, that is it. Whenever I see a downed friendly, and I know there is a thief nearby, I lay down the aoe.

Chody – Leader of We Came To Dance GW2
Crystal Desert
We Came To Dance [WCTD]

Thief Finishing a Target

in Suggestions

Posted by: Flick of the vale.2065

Flick of the vale.2065

Yeah like attack speed buffs let you do a finisher in 1 sec.. ^^

There are actually a lot of classes that can do this. Its a boon called Quickness. Mesmers have an AOE quickness, so theoretically, all classes can perform this move.

I just want to add that I play a thief for all my SPVP and WvW play. The one thing that irritates me more than anything, is when I go stealth, and somone had me targeted before I stealthed. For some reason they can just keep on hitting me.

For example, I am fighting a ranger. I go stealth, evade, and run in the opposite direction. I still have 5 seconds of stealth, yet the ranger is still attacking me with his regular attack. No AOE. Stealth Targeting has got to go, IMO!

Thief Finishing a Target

in Suggestions

Blueshield.6291

Yup, that is it. Whenever I see a downed friendly, and I know there is a thief nearby, I lay down the aoe.

It’s purely a conceptual problem for players. They think that stealth means they can’t hit the target. What they’re forgetting is that stealth is only a line of defense while you don’t know where the target is. If you see a thief go stealth next to a downed player… gee whiz, I don’t have the slightest idea what he could be doing and where he’d be doing it!

I just want to add that I play a thief for all my SPVP and WvW play. The one thing that irritates me more than anything, is when I go stealth, and somone had me targeted before I stealthed. For some reason they can just keep on hitting me.

For example, I am fighting a ranger. I go stealth, evade, and run in the opposite direction. I still have 5 seconds of stealth, yet the ranger is still attacking me with his regular attack. No AOE. Stealth Targeting has got to go, IMO!

Are you certain the ranger is using his regular attack? Assuming the use of a longbow, the animations for Long Range Shot (the number 1 skill), and Rapid Fire (the number 2 skill) are very similar, but – crucially – Rapid Fire is a channel skill which hits 10 times. Stealth doesn’t prevent ongoing channels from completing (which is conceptually weird and problematic in that the projectiles/beams continue to point out the location of the stealthed target), meaning that Rapid Fire would continue to hit you until all 10 shots had landed.

Frankly, though, I think channels should continue to function the way that they do, despite it not making any sense. As it stands they’re an enormous weakness in the stealth mechanic that’s easy to point to when people start shouting about how OP thieves are. My static keeps an elementalist around, and he typically fires off Arc Lightning – a 4 second channel – when we encounter fleeing thieves. They don’t get very far.

(edited by Blueshield.6291)