Thieves & Rifles: Snipers.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Diak Atoli.2085

Diak Atoli.2085

In my humble opinion as a thief, I believe we should be completely and utterly overpowering! (Have I got your attention?)

From a PvE standpoint (I haven’t played much PvP yet.), thieves could benefit from having access to rifles. It would give us an option to match others with 1200 range and still fit with the ‘get in – get out or die’ methodology.

My proposed weapon skills:

Slot 1 – Piercing Shot: Fire a round that pierces the target’s armor. (0 Initiative – Medium Damage, 1200 Range, Applies Vulnerability.)
Stealth Slot – Sniper Fire: Fire a aimed shot at the target. Hold down to increase damage. (0 Initiative – 3 Tier Heavy Damage, 1500 range.)
Slot 2 – Marking Shot: Mark the target, increasing the damage of your next attack. (3 Initiative – Medium Damage, 1200 Range, 10 Seconds.)
Slot 3 – Kill Shot: Fire a killing round at the target, dealing more damage the less health they have. (5 Initiative – 3 Tier Heavy Damage, 1200 Range.)
Slot 4 – Suppressing Fire: Fire a volley of shots at target area. (5 Initiative – Medium Damage, 1200 Range.)
Slot 5 – Gilli Suit: Blend in with the surrounding terrain, gains stealth and protection. (6 Initiative – No Damage, Self-Target.)

As for traits, I’d suggest a damage increase, range increase, or a penetration (Makes the shot go through the target.) trait.

With the addition of rifles, though, I’d suggest lowering the range of pistols to 650-750, while increasing damage as an offset. Would also suggestion redoing pistols skills to focus on conditions (Main hand and dual skill(s)) and support (off-hand).

Since I’ve only played a thief, and rarely PvP, I would love your opinions!

in Suggestions

Posted by: blaergh.6341

blaergh.6341

The shortbow has 1200 range.
Of course I’d welcome more weapon choices for my thief and I love the idea of having a sniper rifle for him, but that would probably be difficult to balance and require reworking at least part of the trait lines, so idk if it’s worth the time and effort to implement…

*typos

in Suggestions

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

Isn’t thief shortbow 900?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

No. No. And... No. Stealth + Attacks from 1500 range? Auto attack from 1200 range? Gets ranger longbow barrage?

How about this, just play a ranger?

How far that little candle throws its beams!
So shines a good deed in a naughty world.
- William Shakespear

in Suggestions

blaergh.6341

sry, just checked: only the cluster bomb shot has 1200 range, the other skills only have 900.

So: rifles please!

*typos

in Suggestions

Thieves have seven possible weapon sets, and good enough skills. They do not need to be rangers.

- William Shakespear

in Suggestions

Posted by: Trinciapolli.7630

Trinciapolli.7630

thieves’ shortbow is already great and OP with 2, use it when 2-3 enemies are balled up on a capture point and have fun like a crazy duck while your guardian tanks the damage and you stay safe

in Suggestions

Posted by: robinsiebler.3801

robinsiebler.3801

ArenaNet needs to add 2 paths to Thief: Assassin and Sniper. Each should have different skills. If you choose one, you cannot choose the other. Pick what you want and stick to it. You should not be able to swap between ‘I can kill you from a mile away’ and ‘Ima sneak up and slit your throat now’.

Brought to you by A Kitten With A Keyboard.

in Suggestions

No. A-net already added plenty of builds for the thief. Why don’t we just add a WoW-esque talent system and go back to the trinity? Because it’s a bad idea.

- William Shakespear

in Suggestions

Diak Atoli.2085

If I wanted to play a ranger, I would play a ranger.

I will admit, Slot 4 is a bit too powerful at second glance, as it’s meant to support others’ AoE attacks… Easy fix.

Slot 4 – Suppressing Fire: Fire a volley of rounds at target area. (5 Initiative – Low Damage, 900 Range.)

As for attacking from 1500 range… Rangers can do that too. They don’t even need to be stealthed. Where as my suggestion has you locked into one position while you ‘aim’ the shot.

Would this turn a thief into a ranger? Not really. The active class mechanic pretty much forces you into melee range if you use it. Thieves still rely on themselves, not a symbiotic relationship with a pet. The rifle would still use burst damage instead of suppressive damage.

Yes, shortbow is awesome, but it’s still locked at 900 range. Cluster Bomb hits out to 1200, but the the arc of the shot is simply ridiculous when aimed that far. Every other profession is able to consistently autoattack at that distance, though engineer requires the use of certain utility kits or traits.

(edited by Diak Atoli.2085)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Garenthal.1480

Garenthal.1480

No. No. And… No. Stealth + Attacks from 1500 range? Auto attack from 1200 range? Gets ranger longbow barrage?

By that logic, rangers shouldn’t have access to melee abilities, then.

(edited by Garenthal.1480)

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

The main idea of thief snipers is good. But these skills are a bit too strong. One of the skills should a snipe attack, but the rest don’t need all that range.

I’d make 3 of the skills shotgun-like (wait behind corners, come from the shadows and shot at their face) one a long range attack, and the last one the snipe attack, with 1500 range and a long recharge (60 or so).

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Suggestions

Diak Atoli.2085

The main idea of thief snipers is good. But these skills are a bit too strong. One of the skills should a snipe attack, but the rest don’t need all that range.

I’d make 3 of the skills shotgun-like (wait behind corners, come from the shadows and shot at their face) one a long range attack, and the last one the snipe attack, with 1500 range and a long recharge (60 or so).

This defeats the suggested purpose of the weapon. Thieves already have stellar close-in capabilities. What they need is something to consistently reach out to 1200, like every other profession.

How is having 1200 range too strong? Rangers and Engineers can reach out to 1500 (traited longbow) and 1400 (mortar) respectively.

in Suggestions

Diak Atoli.2085

Thieves have seven possible weapon sets, and good enough skills. They do not need to be rangers.

(Reread post, couldn’t help myself. >.>)

Yes, thieves have awesome skills, but we also have the lowest amount of skill sets.

Mesmer – 10 skill sets
Engineer – 10 skill sets
Ranger – 11 skill sets
Necromancer – 13 skill sets
Guardian – 14 skill sets
Warrior – 21 skill sets
Elementalist – 26 skill sets

…26 skills sets!?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jhu.3965

Jhu.3965

If any class was going to be a sniper, it’d be a ranger. Giving rifles to thieves is silly.

in Suggestions

Diak Atoli.2085

Why is it silly?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Currently, the Engineer has the most range using rifles (rifle range + traits) and I personally like to keep it that way.

My main is a thief and long range is not what the profession is all about. If you need to get in and get out, use the shortbow to shadow step closer, switch to your melee weapon, do your combo, switch back to shortbow to get out – or use stealth, whatever.

At this point, is there would be a sniper mechanic, that would go to Engineer since Thieves do not need them.

In my opinion, this suggestion is based on someone’s play style not agreeing with the Thief’s play style. So instead of trying to change the profession, maybe try other professions first.

A Mesmer can easily get in and get out also and has the range your are looking for but no rifle.

A Warrior can use rifle and can do the same get in and get out play style.

A Engineer has the range you’re looking for in a rifle.

But a Thief is not a long ranged profession and I personally like for it to stay that way.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Suggestions

robinsiebler.3801

I don’t think silly is the correct word. Inappropriate would be more accurate.

in Suggestions

Diak Atoli.2085

Robinsiebler – I can see your point, though I disagree with it.

Sir Vincent III – Excuse me? First off, Engineer doesn’t have the most range with rifles. If anything, Warrior does. Traited, engineers have 2 skills that reach 1200 range with rifles. Warriors, untraited, have 5 skills that reach 1200 range. At this point, if there is to be a sniper mechanic, that would go to warriors, since engineers don’t need it. (Which is probably self-defeating. :P)

Secondly, long range is not what warriors and guardians are about, yet they get skills and weapons that reach out to 1200 range. But warrior and guardian are not long ranged professions, and I personally don’t see the point of this…

Every profession in GW2 is supposed to be able to do what the other professions can, albeit in unique, distinctive ways. This is part of the appeal, at least to me. So, again, why can’t thieves use rifles that reach out to 1200 range when every other profession has that, or similar, capabilities?

I’m not trying to change the way thieves are played. I’m suggesting that the developers add something to… balance, correct, bring in line… A similar point, but not so negative. If I wanted to play a different profession, I would play a different profession. I quite like thieves as they are, I enjoy playing them, and I see room for improvement and tweaking.

By the way, you missed one: Rangers can use longbows, have better range, and use the same ‘get in – get out’ playstyle.

in Suggestions

Diak Atoli.2085

Dead topic is dead, I guess? >.>

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shadowborn.3529

Shadowborn.3529

Allow Thieves to use a new introduced weapon such as “crossbow” (thieves only) this has 1200 range say with least 3 skill set on 1200 base and 2 depending off based set as what we play now. Adapt the skills so that if a thief decides they what ranged over shortbow system we have now they have a balanced skill set that allows them to achieve the same dmg output as the shortbow but with these skills they have no get out clause such as the shortbow allowing the thief to then be more ineffective at stealthed based attacks/getaways but more effective at ranged. Thats my thought’s anyway

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cinder.4865

Cinder.4865

Can anyone give a legitimate reason for Thieves to have access to rifle other than “to match others with 1200 range”? Both pistol and shortbow have a range of 900 for the Thief, which is nothing to scoff at, with the shortbow’s Cluster Bomb having a range of 1200. Cluster Bomb also has a low initiative cost.

I won’t be bothered if ANet sees fit to hand the rifle to Thieves, but I can’t see a reason for the addition beyond player desire. Thieves are mobile and have plenty of range and ranged options. If you’re looking for more, you might try alting as a Ranger or Engineer!

in Suggestions

Posted by: arcdash.4039

arcdash.4039

Stop saying Guardians have a weapon that has 1200 range. I mean…the scepter is there, but the orbs can be dodged simply by moving left or right.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

No… theives don’t need to be buffed. Fix the other classes first. A thief is a solid class already so stop trying to add more to it.

RIP in peace Robert

in Suggestions

Posted by: TwiceDead.1963

TwiceDead.1963

In my humble opinion as a thief, I believe we should be completely and utterly overpowering! (Have I got your attention?)

From a PvE standpoint (I haven’t played much PvP yet.), thieves could benefit from having access to rifles. It would give us an option to match others with 1200 range and still fit with the ‘get in – get out or die’ methodology.

My proposed weapon skills:

Slot 1 – Piercing Shot: Fire a round that pierces the target’s armor. (0 Initiative – Medium Damage, 1200 Range, Applies Vulnerability.)
Stealth Slot – Sniper Fire: Fire a aimed shot at the target. Hold down to increase damage. (0 Initiative – 3 Tier Heavy Damage, 1500 range.)
Slot 2 – Marking Shot: Mark the target, increasing the damage of your next attack. (3 Initiative – Medium Damage, 1200 Range, 10 Seconds.)
Slot 3 – Kill Shot: Fire a killing round at the target, dealing more damage the less health they have. (5 Initiative – 3 Tier Heavy Damage, 1200 Range.)
Slot 4 – Suppressing Fire: Fire a volley of shots at target area. (5 Initiative – Medium Damage, 1200 Range.)
Slot 5 – Gilli Suit: Blend in with the surrounding terrain, gains stealth and protection. (6 Initiative – No Damage, Self-Target.)

As for traits, I’d suggest a damage increase, range increase, or a penetration (Makes the shot go through the target.) trait.

With the addition of rifles, though, I’d suggest lowering the range of pistols to 650-750, while increasing damage as an offset. Would also suggestion redoing pistols skills to focus on conditions (Main hand and dual skill(s)) and support (off-hand).

Since I’ve only played a thief, and rarely PvP, I would love your opinions!

… Just how does this fit with your so called “get in – get out or die” methodology?
All I see here is a “Do NOT get in – Kill everything” methodology considering no damage loss the further away you are. You can literally deal max damage from any range from 1200 to 1500, and those damage numbers aren’t small, and those skills used in rapid succession basically looks like a no-brainer kill to me.

No.

in Suggestions

Posted by: TwiceDead.1963

TwiceDead.1963

Allow Thieves to use a new introduced weapon such as “crossbow” (thieves only).

Stamp REJECTED.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ilJumperMT.4871

ilJumperMT.4871

No. No. And… No. Stealth + Attacks from 1500 range? Auto attack from 1200 range? Gets ranger longbow barrage?

Why I don’t want to play Ranger?

I HATE kittenY PETS

in Suggestions

blaergh.6341

I really don’t see any reason why thieves shouldn’t get access to rifles other than Anet having better things to do than adding that.
This isn’t about “buffing” the thief, it’s about adding the additional option of attacking from long range that a lot of other classes already have as well to compliment the other skillsets for close and medium range.
The great thing about gw2 -for me at least- is that all the classes can do everything sort of well, not just what their archetype is supposed to be good at; so warriors get longbows and rifles, guardians get staves and scepters, necros get axes, rangers get greatswords, etc. So why shouldn’t the thief get rifles? (Provided the skills are balanced and all that)

*typos

in Suggestions

Posted by: Raine Akrune.8416

Raine Akrune.8416

No no no no no
My thief does not need a rifle. My shortbow does the job just fine.

Asuran Master Thief/Charr Paladin Extraordinaire
Khan of The Burning Eden [TBE]
www.theburningeden.com

in Suggestions

Posted by: Luisedgm.2375

Luisedgm.2375

Thieves are designed to be a close/mid range class, they do not need rifles

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

It doesn’t match the thief’s gameplay style. Having a 1200 range weapon means you could sit in the back and be lazy autoattacking- that is not the quick, dodge-happy, teleporting, stealth popping, blinding and poisoning thief it’s meant to be. That’s what rangers are for.

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

in Suggestions

blaergh.6341

It doesn’t match the thief’s gameplay style. Having a 1200 range weapon means you could sit in the back and be lazy autoattacking- that is not the quick, dodge-happy, teleporting, stealth popping, blinding and poisoning thief it’s meant to be. That’s what rangers are for.

Sure, but maybe I want to just sit back and shoot for a change, without having to start over as a ranger.
Besides, the whole “doesn’t fit the gameplay style” argument doesn’t make any sense:

Warriors get to attack with rifles while sitting in the back, which isn’t very bash-people-over-the-head-y.
Rangers get a variety of melee options, which doesn’t encourage hitting people from long range before they can get close.
Guardians have staffs and scepters, which doesn’t fit with supporting in the front while taking fire.

Every class has a few different options and I think the thief could use a long range kit.

*typos

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sons.5493

Sons.5493

Just bumping this, make it happen.

Imo the skills are well balanced combined with the ini cost.

Sniper shot seems a lil bit OP since while in stealth we can charge the shoot as much as you want.

My suggestion.

The more range the more damage, making at 1500 slightly more damage than Warriors Kill shot.

Make it happen Anet.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Idolicious.6091

Idolicious.6091

I have an 80 Warrior (my first 80), and I just hit 80 on my Thief last week. I have 4 more characters rolled and leveling – a Necro, an Ele, a Ranger, and a Guardian. But that’s besides the point.

Here it is:

I do miss having the 1200 range option that my warrior has – who ALSO has heavy armor. It puts my thief closer to a dungeon boss than any other class, even when using Pistols, because everyone ranges them since they hit like Mack Trucks. I don’t like to PUG any of the dungeons for this exact reason.

So please someone give me a legit reason why my heavy-armor wearing Warrior (or Guardian) can attack from 1200 range but my Thief cannot [one Shortbow skill doesn’t count, sorry.]? Why is the Thief stuck with the shortest attack range(s) yet has less armor than a Warrior/Guardian? Oh, Thieves also have the least amount of hit points, too. By a large margin.

How is that balanced?

Heck, I’d be happy if they just extended the range of the pistols to 1200, but that doesn’t make much sense considering that is the range of a rifle, which has a longer barrel. I think the best option would be to make all Shortbow skills 1200 range, as this would prevent A.Net from having to do ANY balancing changes.

Just my 2c on the matter.

(edited by Idolicious.6091)

in Suggestions

Sons.5493

Just to give an example, in WvW ZvZ every single class has a 1200 range option, while the thief is stuck to roam at 700-900 making him utterly vulnerable, and considering thief has medium armor and the lowest health pool…. Thief really needs rilfe.

in Suggestions

Sons.5493

in Suggestions

Posted by: Varyag.3751

Varyag.3751

If I wanted to play a ranger, I would play a ranger.

Or you would attempt to make Thief a Ranger…

I play Warrior, Guardian, Elementalist and Thief.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Enigmoid.1264

Enigmoid.1264

There are points for a 1200 range weapon in wvw. However, thief has stealth and restricting the thief to 900 with shortbow was a way of balancing. Stealth and 1200 range weapon in pvp would be very overpowered.

in Suggestions

Sons.5493

How would it be OP? imo Close range stealth is FAR more dangerous since you are in a far more stressing situation where the Thief can jump on you at any second.

in Suggestions

robinsiebler.3801

Personally, I think Thieves should be a stealth class only. No pistols or other weapons that make noise. Ranged weapons, such as daggers or shuriken, with an effective radius of 15’.

This message was brought to you by a Stealthy Kitten

in Suggestions

Sons.5493

They are thieves, bandits, they can be masters of stealth or bucaneers. Unlike Gw1 Assasisns.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Idolicious.6091

Idolicious.6091

Stealth and 1200 range weapon in pvp would be very overpowered.

Wha? It’s not like a Thief can just sit in stealth and fire away. They have 3-5s of stealth MAX (if traited into a defensive trait). Thives’ stealth mechanic in this game is meant to get you out of (or into) hairy situations – you clearly can’t sit in stealth and burst someone down. Doesn’t work.

And let’s not be foolish, either. A Thief is NOT the only class with stealth. Mesmers can stealth, Rangers can stealth, and Engineers can stealth. They may not have as many options to stealth as a Thief, but the options DO exist. Should we make those other classes limited to 900 range, too?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stealth#Weapon_skills_that_grant_stealth

(edited by Idolicious.6091)

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Thieves are the only profession with no ranged weapons attacks with 1200 range.

Of course they need it. And rifles fit their theme as much as pistols do.
Just make sure they can’t hit multiple targets with it (shortbows are for that) and they they get no snares with it, so they can only use it to hit faraway enemies until they get close, but not to stop them from getting close, and then they can switch to something more suited for closer ranges.

When would they be most useful? Some group events, and to attack key enemies from the walls in WvW.

A rifle for thieves should be very offensive. With very limited or even non-existant defensive capabilities, so one good Stealth skill for thieves with a rifle would be one that makes the thief shadow step to the target, not something to get away.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Suggestions

Varyag.3751

MithranArkanere.8957

Thieves are the only profession with no ranged weapons attacks with 1200 range.

Technically not, cluster bomb has 1200 range. But by Thief’s nature they’re a closer ranged class and having abilities like steal and a plethora of stealth skills only improves their ability to get in close to the enemy. Long-range sniping is not in line with the Thief’s theme. Just play a Ranger if you want to do that.

The last thing any class in this game needs is more weapon choices – especially when there are currently already balance issues that need addressing.

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

They may be able to get close to the enemy, but it’s not like they are beefy in any way. For WvW I could definetly use some more range since thats basically like 90% of WvW experience. Only time they can be really useful is when they break a gate down and storm in. Idk if making 1200 range is suitable as ranges like those are what make “Rangers” longbow shine. Dunno why their SB has also 1200 range but in any case, thief needs atleast a bump in SB range to 1000 base or a new weapon selection for those ranges( such as crossbow?)

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

I would be happy with a trait that increases shortbow. There is an acrobatic trait that increases shortbow damage which would be perfect place for it as it requires 20 points invested into a defensive trait line, essentially making it a bad choice for glass cannon builds, but a good choice for keep defenders.

in Suggestions

robinsiebler.3801

They may be able to get close to the enemy, but it’s not like they are beefy in any way.

Thieves are not supposed to be beefy:

Generally thief/assassin is a thinking persons char. If you want to stand toe-to-toe with the enemy, roll a fighter. Otherwise, you employ an attack,dodge, kite/recover pattern.
Brought to you by A Stealthy Kitten With A Keyboard

in Suggestions

Varyag.3751

robinsiebler.3801

Thieves are not supposed to be beefy:
Generally thief/assassin is a thinking persons char.

This makes me think you’re not playing the same game I am, unless you put emphasis on the word “generally”. Thief is one of the easier classes in this game, once I got mine to 80 and after some sPvP I got bored with it due to this.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bladekill.1487

Bladekill.1487

I agree, thief needs a 1200 range weapon. I mostly run dungeons with my thief, and when we face stationary bosses (see Nightmare Tree, etc) we have to get really close just to do damage. Everybody else is standing far back and we get to be the first attacked by whatever the boss does. The suggested skills aren’t all in line with the thieves’ style, as has been said, but giving the thief a rifle should be done, once ANet gets the bigger problems out of the way…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rogue.8235

Rogue.8235

Thieves do not need a long range option at all. The point of a thief is mobility and hit/run tactics not long-range bombardment (although mashing 2 on the shortbow feels like this). They take out key targets via infiltration (stealth/shadowstepping). If you have problems that can only be fixed by long range weaponry, you’re not playing to the class’s strengths. There are too many ways to dodge, evade, shake off aggro, shadowstep, etc. Thieves don’t just stand and shoot, they are constantly on their toes in an effort to find optimal positioning. 900 range is perfect for this and doesn’t need to be adjusted.

The Blind player