This game has "xp grind". We need more ways to gain xp!

in Suggestions

Posted by: GustavoM.7605

GustavoM.7605

Sure, It takes 4 days to 1 week playing 24/7 to reach lv 80….but the game forced me to repeat events countless times In order to gain levels faster. With that said, I -think- It goes against what the devs said about the “lack of grinding” (i.e repeating the same thing again and again In order to archieve progression) and the leveling should be more straightforward. Like, making a player to do most events and hearts, but not forcing him/her to do -ALL OF EM- In order to reach a level so the game can tell you to go forward on your storyline. 1 hour does not “hurt” compared to what other MMO’s have to give, but… let’s say… It “upsets” me, that’s all. I mean, events are too scattered that sometimes, I had to repeat a event over and over again In order to archieve progression faster.

What I’m requesting here Is to make the player feel that everything Is optional, and not mandatory In order to level up. Or maybe should I say: A way that even If the player so desire, s/he can skip most of the content to reach max level faster. Or to give more rewards, to speed things a bit.

TL;DR: Vistas, skill points and everything else must be optional, and not necessary In order to level up.

(edited by GustavoM.7605)

in Suggestions

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

I’d say to balance, make map completions worth less, like vistas or skill points, but have heart completions worth more, so that when you complete the map its worth the same amount of experience points, but there’s less NEED to do side things like vistas and skillpoints. Though i do have to say for challenging vistas should give more experience points because they’re difficult to get to.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Twilight Zone Guy.1487

Twilight Zone Guy.1487

I’ve gotten both of my characters to lvl 80 without needing to grind events and having explored maybe somewhere near a third of the world (which is mainly just me getting whatever is close rather then specifically trying to get everything). I think its fine. The bigger problem though is that any sort of requirement to level up can be seen as grind. Everybody wants to be lvl 80 but they have to gain exp to get there. Removing levels altogether would be closer to their idea of ‘no grind’, but its also a dumb idea as it removes the element of progression in the game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Archmortal.1027

Archmortal.1027

The game already has more ways to gain XP than any other MMO I know of. It screams optional at every turn. Didn’t get to that event in time? Eh it was optional anyway. Don’t like PvP? Optional. Massive EXP bonuses from crafting but you don’t have the mats? Well it’s not like you need to anyway. Most players do more than just circle around to every heart/event. If you even so much as gather materials then by the time you’ve completed every heart you’ll have most of an additional level up’s worth of experience from gathering.

I mean you see people saying everywhere how fast leveling goes in GW2, and you yourself are kind of right in that “what other MMO’s have to give” is a ridiculously fast trip from 1-Max. If you don’t feel you’re going fast enough, do more than just circle through every heart on a map. You’ve got more options at your disposal than any other MMO. Make use of them. For what it’s worth, I can count the zones on one hand that don’t regularly spit me into the next area overleveled for it.

And this general sentiment has been going around the suggestion threads lately due to gear grind requests: the game is meant to be played leisurely. There’s no rush to get anywhere, so feeling like you’re forced to do something is a result of your own mindset.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

You weren’t forced to grind the same events repeatedly. You wanted to level faster so you chose to grind them rather than level a little slower and explore more.

[SFD] – Maguuma

in Suggestions

Archmortal.1027

You weren’t forced to grind the same events repeatedly. You wanted to level faster so you chose to grind them rather than level a little slower and explore more.

Perfect example of this is Kessex Hills near Overlord’s Waypoint. There’s a zerg of people that just grind the event cycle on the west side of the map endlessly. This is certainly a valid way to play and level up, but it’s the boring grind-y way and if you choose to do it, it’s on you for being bored or burnt out.

in Suggestions

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

Perfect example of this is Kessex Hills near Overlord’s Waypoint. There’s a zerg of people that just grind the event cycle on the west side of the map endlessly. This is certainly a valid way to play and level up, but it’s the boring grind-y way and if you choose to do it, it’s on you for being bored or burnt out.

Are you sure they’re not just bots?

not saying your point isnt valid, i just think that its too coincidental that i saw a large number of bots near that area one time.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

Lots of people also grind that chain. I’ve seen people asking for events like it in higher level zones they can grind.

[SFD] – Maguuma

in Suggestions

Posted by: Slark.1263

Slark.1263

What you see as a grind is only because your current goal is to achieve 80 in the fastest time possible. If you just play the game doing the parts you enjoy, instead of making it your goal to grind to 80 asap it will take you a little bit longer to hit 80, but you will have fun doing it. In comparison to other MMO’s this game has one of the quickest level progressions from 1-80 because you get exp from almost any action you do other then standing in town.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Azaziel.3608

Azaziel.3608

B-B-But everything gives you exp… what would you suggest, getting exp from running?….chatting??
Maybe ask for more exp from already exp giving sources, but I don’t know what else could give exp in this game when there are many things that already do it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

and FYI by the time I was lvl 80, my personal story was still at about lvl 50-60 or so, so yeah more than enough ways to get xp

in Suggestions

Posted by: Slark.1263

Slark.1263

B-B-But everything gives you exp… what would you suggest, getting exp from running?….chatting??
Maybe ask for more exp from already exp giving sources, but I don’t know what else could give exp in this game when there are many things that already do it.

Sorry to break it too you..but you already get exp from Running is you count Discoverys POI’s, and Vista’s.

Now chatting for exp…that a new one…but be sure it comes with the downside where if you spam chat or say something stupid you will lose exp.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sollith.3502

Sollith.3502

… if you are doing an event over and over again and don’t like to grind; you’re doing it wrong

It’s super easy to level in this game, the only way they could make it easier would be to not have levels at all (which I wouldn’t mind lol).

The real problem is that there is still an “end game” mentality because the best drops and stuff still come from around max level areas.

in Suggestions

Posted by: BabelFish.7234

BabelFish.7234

I do event grinds and I do them for a few reason.
1) loot
2) exp
3) karma

I need my temple karma armor so I’ll be event grinding for a while
I need gold (because buying my lvl 80 exotics is cheaper then making them)
and I need exp for my last 4 levels…which seems to go so fast in Orr it almost feels like cheating.

Point being there’s more then a single reason to grind events…it’s not like being lvl 80 is the end-all-be-all in this game, it’s only a contributing factor that requires proper gear which in turn requires gold, karma and materials.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

there are already plenty of methods to earn exp in this game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Trock Bronze.9625

Trock Bronze.9625

You are doing something wrong cause I have never had to grind any events or anything to level. Are you filling out maps? moving to new areas not just say human to human to human area but all the beginning levels and so on? That alone gives me enough xp and then some. I got a 3rd character to 80 today and I am still filling out soundgorge and Orr.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rloa.6718

Rloa.6718

Maybe we should all just start a level 80 rolleyes

in Suggestions

Archmortal.1027

I been saying this for a while, they just need to make an “Easy Mode” server thats not connected to other servers, you cant transfer to the normal servers and WvWvW is just easymode vs easymode vs easymode(same server filling all sides)

make it so they just have to kill 1 mob to clear each maps level cap, if they get in radar/minimap range of an event/vista/heart it auto completes for them, same with collecting mats, instant no need to actually walk over and tap them.

just give them everything, that way they can have their perfect game without all the hassle of actually playing the game.

… and then have the rest of the community collectively asking wtf. I don’t think this is a good idea.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Xp

One dungeon, three branches + story = .70*4 levels. 7 dungeons available before 80, means 19.6 levels in dungeons without ever repeating anything.
Crafting, 3 levels per discipline to 200, 8 disciplines. 3*8 = 24.
Gathering, an optional 5 or 6.
Daily achievement, .42 levels.
Five level appropriate events for your daily, gold rewards = 35% of a level.
60 kills for daily, with no bonus exp at all = 7.5% of a level.
City completion, in Lions Arch, and the five racials = 60% of a level.
6.48 levels from 24 personal story quests.

That’s a bit over 57 levels without ever completing a zone, not counting any more than 60 kills with no bonuses, if all done level-appropriate. That leaves you with 23 more levels to come up with. If Queensdale is a good base, 100% of a zone is 2.75 levels if done while level appropriate. That means you’d have to explore 10 zones, and part of another. Kryta, and Ascalon.

Or, you could level by crafting for those other levels. Or you could do a bit of WvW, or a few dungeon repeats for tokens... Or, perhaps, you wouldn’t quite make it all that way without getting only 60 kills with no bonus experience, and only completing five events...

How far that little candle throws its beams!
So shines a good deed in a naughty world.
- William Shakespear

(edited by Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

If you just play the game, without repeating any events, you’ll still be level 80 long before you reach Orr. I just went through each area, completing each one 100%, and crafting a little. I reached level 80 easily. Never grinded for a second.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

My current non WvW/PvP char is now level 40 and I did nothing but the start areas of all races and a small amount of profession training.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

in Suggestions

Posted by: BabelFish.7234

BabelFish.7234

You are doing something wrong cause I have never had to grind any events or anything to level. Are you filling out maps? moving to new areas not just say human to human to human area but all the beginning levels and so on? That alone gives me enough xp and then some. I got a 3rd character to 80 today and I am still filling out soundgorge and Orr.

If you were talking to me I’m not. None of my maps are complete…most aren’t even 50% complete.

I need to fill out Orr though because I need easy access to the temples.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

You can also hop back and forth between the starting areas of the various races and do quests there. You’ll reach level 80 easily.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Suggestions

Posted by: flixx.6978

flixx.6978

You should consider to swap between the Race’s starting Areas and complete Quests.

I was at the very same point like you, Grinding Events to move on, Heart always 3-5 Levels above after completing those ones that were equal. Most times i stood in the World of Tyria thinking about “Is this the Way this game should be played?” I also asked different players if they have the same issues, they always told me that they not.

Okay, so what did they do?

They made use of swapping between different Race Area’s, exploring the Map until 60-90%, completing Quests meanwhile and teleport back to your “Main” Area.

That’s all and those guys always were 3-7 Levels above me without any Quest Struggles.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Snow White.9680

Snow White.9680

I’m confused because..

1 Nothing in this game is mandatory.
2 There are so many more options to gain xp then any other MMO on the market.