This game needs PvP Arena

in Suggestions

Posted by: SteamRanger.5167

SteamRanger.5167

I’d much rather see developers concentrate on PvE content than attempting to satisfy PvPers (who are never satisfied). Some people are more interested in cooperation than competition. We don’t feel we have anything to prove. If you want to butt heads with other players, there is an outlet here for that. It’s up to you if you choose to utilize it.

Want arenas? There are other options available. Enjoy.

in Suggestions

Posted by: OGSethskills.1708

OGSethskills.1708

Arena PvP would work if it was classed…

Example… there would be armor classes… on a scale from 1 – 10

Then your amount of victories would scale on a alphabet system. A B C D E F and the top kittenes would be ranked Z.

When getting matched, because, seriously only a match making system would work. So, when getting matched, it would take into account your armor level and rank. And would “scale” your armor points to match your opponent’s. That way you would NEVER be at a disadvantage, gone is the out gearing complaint.

It would take just skill. Now, we would get new complaints, classes are OP! nerf ranger, nerf thief…

Match making would be GAME wide, every server would have access.

(edited by OGSethskills.1708)

in Suggestions

OGSethskills.1708

Want arenas? There are other options available. Enjoy.

Want some pve, there are some options available. Enjoy.

GW2 is primarily a PVP game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Xaryo.2603

Xaryo.2603

What? I am installing this game right now, aren’t there duels? QQ

HUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUE

in Suggestions

Posted by: Manji.3801

Manji.3801

@OG: Does not make sense …. that would advantage Ranged, and disadvantage Platewearers to an Degree beyond Madness!

in Suggestions

Posted by: JonnyBigBoss.2071

JonnyBigBoss.2071

Arenas with no stat gear grind and I’m all in.

JonnyBigBoss – 80 Engineer
Fort Aspenwood
The Ancient Order [TAO]

in Suggestions

Posted by: JonnyBigBoss.2071

JonnyBigBoss.2071

What? I am installing this game right now, aren’t there duels? QQ

No duels… yet.

JonnyBigBoss – 80 Engineer
Fort Aspenwood
The Ancient Order [TAO]

in Suggestions

OGSethskills.1708

@OG: Does not make sense …. that would advantage Ranged, and disadvantage Platewearers to an Degree beyond Madness!

Every class has a ranged attack.

How would you suggest AN rectify the ranged vs melee problem?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Eridani.8317

Eridani.8317

Couldn’t disagree more. Arena was what destroyed PvP in WoW and I would hate to see them introduce it in GW2.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

GW2 is primarily a PVP game.

Not at all. Just because some random MMORPG website says so it doesn’t make it true. Want a revelation? Look at the scope of sPvP in this game, then look at the scope of PvE. Surprised?

in Suggestions

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

I agree on two things. Arenas would be a nice thing to have (I wouldn’t use them but I know people that would), and it would be cool if they rewarded you with titles that could be used in PvE and WvW… but no actual gear. However I’d agree with gear skin rewards that could be used on WvW (and maybe even in PvE) but that would work like the HoM rewards, meaning, you buy the gear rewards and to use them you must first double click on them, and on the gear you’re wearing to apply the looks but without changing anything about its stats.

That way the people that truly stand out in arenas can have something to display their kittenness (to call it some way), but without it becoming just another grind to get epixx gear like the arenas became in WoW (at least back when I played).

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

in Suggestions

Posted by: PPson.7042

PPson.7042

Please don’t add this kind of arena pvp…the 8v8 works great and is the definition of balanced. People don’t like it because they are bad and prefer to spend time getting geared so that they can feel “good” (reminds me of the problem in Aion where gear was 90% of the decision whether someone won or not, and before you say no, thats just cus you were bad, at one point in aion I had the “best” gear and thought this was a problem because people were too easy to kill).

Seiz – 80 Human Thief
Representing Terribad (TBad)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Safire.9143

Safire.9143

Full agreee !!!!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Awesomelol.9201

Awesomelol.9201

2v2 and 3v3 deathmatch arenas would be awesome imo

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kal.2376

Kal.2376

I never liked arena. What it needs is sPvP where you play with your char and get rewards. I don’t want to play with an instant lvl 80 char, I want to develop it myself

We may have the same name, but I totally disagree with you. The idea in GW2 of keeping PVE and PVP separate is a great idea. PVP is all about skill and tactics, not gear, or now much more time player A had to “develop” their character over player B.

If any of these suggested ideas come to pass, then the person with more time will have the most gear, and roll over people with less time… I prefer the current system where the people with most skill and better tactics wins.

Edit: Just to be clear, I’m not against the idea of arenas. That does not sound bad. I’m against the idea of PVP gear tiers and all that jazz.

(edited by Kal.2376)

in Suggestions

Posted by: coffeemancer.2450

coffeemancer.2450

GW1 at present has several different PvP formats, including true-structured, organized Deathmatch PvP; casual Deathmatch; casual AND organized capture point & objective based PvP; and even novelties such as Sealed Deck (stupid, but it counts). It even toyed with RTS style PvP using controllable NPCs.

GW2 only has capture point PvP in two iterations and they are both casual and impossible to organize (hot-join mass pvp is not organized, sorry).

This is a clear step backward and not something we should be seeing in the SEQUEL. Competetive multiplayer games typically include multiple formats, among them being Deathmatch.

Regardless of how you feel about World of Warcraft; these are the facts compared to just the first game, not WoW, not even any other multiplayer or MMO game.

Please, argue about ideas and thoughts, not someone’s brand loyalty.

Video games have title screens. Please give us back the GW2 title screen.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Judge.5102

Judge.5102

I believe that Arena PvP can and should be implemented in GW2.
It can be one of the greatest PvP experiences if only it is designed properly.

There is obviously no place for 2v2 in the game, due to balance issues and glass-cannon builds/combos being able to nuke down simply everything, if optimized and used correctly.

However, in larger scaled teams like 4v4 which teammates have a bunch of skills to save each other from trouble, the Arena system could be more fun than any other PvP utilities out there in the market.

Think about it;

-Everyone gets in the Arena with items of the same tier, obtained from the Heart of the Mists.

-Better Arena gear can be acquired with the currency that is specifically earned from Arena ranked wins – and the gear obtained this way is only usable in the Arena.

-Winning and losing affects the rating of a team, as the teams with top rating get rewards, not some exaggerated gear and titles, but enough gold or karma can encourage people to play rated Arena PvP.

-Even a non-rated mode which you play for fun would be more than enough to attract players to spend more of their time playing this marvellous game.

Nobody can say that Arena PvP is a must for the game as the current PvP is pretty entertaining to play; however deciding not to implement it would give the itchy feeling that the game is not reaching its full potential.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Patches.4210

Patches.4210

You guys know they are still working on the game, they’ve even said in interviews that they are planing more PvP stuff with a fairly large amount of e-sport in mind.
GW2 is still under development, they are going to add stuff and PvP is a major part of GW (but it’s not the only part, PvE is just as big) so there will be more of it, they’ve talked about more styles than just capture points.
And all those pointing to WoW as the be all of PvP? How long did it take WoW to start with Battlegrounds? Arenas? etc

BGs and Arena came around/with BC expansion didn’t it?
That’s what? a year, year and a half after WoW release?

(edited by Patches.4210)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Delhart.7891

Delhart.7891

Agreed! GW2 should have arenas, if you don’t like arena pvp – just don’t play it. There will be just more options for you.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

Nope …
We have too may ppl crying when they getting rolfstomp by 3 random ppl in couple of secs in the normal bgs , and u need him to fight 5 organized ppl ?

GW1 had arenas … before WoW .
If till now they avoided to introduce arenas , they must have their reasons
Without healers , the matches would end in 7-10 secs , like 5v5 middlefarm League of Legends matches

Edit: Choose an other mode

(edited by Killthehealersffs.8940)

in Suggestions

Manji.3801

Every class has a ranged attack.

How would you suggest AN rectify the ranged vs melee problem?

Not every Class performs best (for PvP) in Range! The Options are restricted for some classes … ranged classes with control would out CC the melee ones without so many “anti” ccs … and when you are on the “Mage” you don’t do enough dmg to kill him, and you will die sooner or later…

Your Idea is the same as Resilence in WoW .. which is fail in design, but was needed to balance between Raid DPS and PvP DPS …

in Suggestions

Posted by: coffeemancer.2450

coffeemancer.2450

“they are planing more PvP stuff with a fairly large amount of e-sport in mind”

We’ll see what they actually manage to accomplish… They just put out that “clay woman” trailer that has nothing to do with the game it’s supposed to be advertising… so I’m not sure what their priorities are or what they’re thinking. At the moment I’m not holding my breath for anything, it’s a very different company from when they were working on GW1. I know it sounds silly, but go compare the trailers. You won’t be seeing any pointless clay women or ham-fisted social commentary in the factions trailer

GW1 started with a solid e-sport spirit and there were quite a few championships for big prizes, until Anet eventually stopped caring and just automated the system with some silly trophies.

Video games have title screens. Please give us back the GW2 title screen.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Amadeuz.4617

Amadeuz.4617

I think adding ARENA PVP in GW2 using PVE gears and traits and skills progressions is quite interesting.

1) GW2 doesn’t require gear grind attached anyway, there aren’t much significant different between PVE gears on rarity.

2) GW2 has no trinity to define roles in the game anyway, so every professions in GW2 can fight with each other by need no tank, no healer.

3) Every Players enter to Arena will be sidekicked to level 80

4) ARENA PVP in GW2 should be match making in global wide.

5) The purpose of Arena PVP is for casual PVP on 2v2 or 5v5 game, I do not expect to put this type of PVP to e-sport or tournament play, it is all about having fun.

6) Arena PVP can make PVE progression feeling become more crucial.

(edited by Amadeuz.4617)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Plunder.8195

Plunder.8195

I would love to see PvP and Pvmonster matches in “the bane” in the black citadel… It’s just too perfect for that. It even includes seats for spectators.

If I remember correctly there is no POI inside the bane (fighting area) itself…. might Anet be planning something in this direction already?

Some thought provoking quote

in Suggestions

Posted by: Achilles.3128

Achilles.3128

I completely agree this game needs an Arena. But I see absolutely no reason that it should have a gear grind. I mean isn’t is just obvious that an Arena has even more reason to have standardized armor than SPvP?

in Suggestions

Posted by: DavidGX.1723

DavidGX.1723

No, please, Arenanet. No arenas. Even Blizzard admitted (but then tried to backtrack on) the fact that introducing them in WoW was a mistake. It creates all kinds of balance problems. Don’t want it, don’t need it.

in Suggestions

Amadeuz.4617

No, please, Arenanet. No arenas. Even Blizzard admitted (but then tried to backtrack on) the fact that introducing them in WoW was a mistake. It creates all kinds of balance problems. Don’t want it, don’t need it.

Arena PVP does not work on WoW, I think because WoW’s fault, not Arena feature.

- In WoW the Gear always > Players Skill in any time, but in GW2 to defeat players, it require more than Gears based, players who have better skills and mechanics, better dodge rolls can beat players who have better gears.
- In WoW, Players have to grind for gear if they want to play Arena, but GW2 it’s not necessary to grind this because end game gears in GW2 is about aesthetic, not stats-based.
- In WoW, each classes much depend on healers or tanks to fight in Arena, but GW2 with has no trinity roles, so every professions can join Arena PVP independently.

Thats why I think Arena PVP would be interesting to add in GW2.

(edited by Amadeuz.4617)

in Suggestions

Manji.3801

OMG! Could you people please stop bragging about this, with ONLY the Argument “Oh but even Blizzard admitted it was bad!” ….

What kind of Argument is this? Blizzard are a bunch of fools! They implemented a great Idea just into a wrong System!!!

With NO Gear Grind, NO “Gear2Win”, NO Stupid ArenaTeams, NO Healers, NO “ZOMG” Burst (if you can play), it is a good thing!

In WoW it was THE PvP Endgame… It does not have to be here ,… it can just be as valuable as doing 8v8s …. just for other types of players!

Me for one I love Tournaments, and I hate 8v8 … just sucks sometimes to fight 2v4 or so .. I would like to have competitve 2v2 or 3v3 … If it’s not necessary (like it was in WoW — Best gear you got from Arenas) …. ANYONE who doesn’t like it, SHALL not play it,… Whats the Problem?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

My simple answer: no it doesn’t.

My longer answer: small scale PvP, aka “arena”, breeds “optimal team setups”, leaving some trait specs and even classes out of the activity. Why? Simple… a game with 8 different classes and even more different trait specializations is NOT meant to be played 2vs2 or 3vs3. The arenas negatively affected WoW by leading to class equalization and down dumbing in order to try to make them all viable for that activity.
So a big “NO” to arenas here – they will affect the whole game negatively.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

in Suggestions

Manji.3801

My simple answer: no it doesn’t.

My longer answer: small scale PvP, aka “arena”, breeds “optimal team setups”, leaving some trait specs and even classes out of the activity. Why? Simple… a game with 8 different classes and even more different trait specializations is NOT meant to be played 2vs2 or 3vs3. The arenas negatively affected WoW by leading to class equalization and down dumbing in order to try to make them all viable for that activity.
So a big “NO” to arenas here – they will affect the whole game negatively.

You sir, have a good point here, BUT I always have to say the Game is also not balanced around 8v8 Games!

It reaches the best balance in 5v5! It’s made around Tournament Modes, and a player can feel this, if you play 8v8 or 5v5 it’s a HUGE difference!

For example in 8v8 it’s MUCH easier to play a ZomgDPS Build which may be considered OP

So if you have 3v3 or 2v2’s with the same rewards as in 8v8 it does not matter MORE than Tournaments, then it’s just a matter of players choice, WHAT they will play, and people still can play the 8v8 Builds … in 8v8!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Raging Bull.5048

Raging Bull.5048

Sorry if made already.
But this game needs Arena PVP. 2v2, and 5v5 pvp with ranked and gear just like WOW. Yes like wow. Why? Because its the most intense pvp that really test your skill when you get a good match. PVP so far just isn’t rewarding imo and seems tacked on.

GIVE US ARENAS.

Oh yeah, spam heals for 30 minutes until someone slips or the game ends in a tie.

No, this game has REAL PvP, no need for kitten babbygameplay just so you can compensate. Grow a pair.

REAL PvP? Oh, you mean massive zerg-fests where you hide behind 98798798098 other players, mashing random skills in one huge particle-effects orgasm?

Well at least that’s how I see it. It doesn’t mean WvWvW isn’t super fun for someone, and the OP didn’t ask for Arenas to replace WvWvW OR Capture-the-Node modes, but instead for an ADDITION of an Arena mode.

Why would anyone oppose variety? We clearly all have different tastes, and a game that can satisfy as many different tastes as possible is just a more complete game. I’ll play my Arenas, you play your “REAL PvP” you like. Democracy.

Problems with that?

in Suggestions

Raging Bull.5048

I would love to see PvP and Pvmonster matches in “the bane” in the black citadel… It’s just too perfect for that. It even includes seats for spectators.

If I remember correctly there is no POI inside the bane (fighting area) itself…. might Anet be planning something in this direction already?

God, please God – let it be true.

in Suggestions

DavidGX.1723

OMG! Could you people please stop bragging about this, with ONLY the Argument “Oh but even Blizzard admitted it was bad!” ….

What kind of Argument is this? Blizzard are a bunch of fools! They implemented a great Idea just into a wrong System!!!

With NO Gear Grind, NO “Gear2Win”, NO Stupid ArenaTeams, NO Healers, NO “ZOMG” Burst (if you can play), it is a good thing!

In WoW it was THE PvP Endgame… It does not have to be here ,… it can just be as valuable as doing 8v8s …. just for other types of players!

Me for one I love Tournaments, and I hate 8v8 … just sucks sometimes to fight 2v4 or so .. I would like to have competitve 2v2 or 3v3 … If it’s not necessary (like it was in WoW — Best gear you got from Arenas) …. ANYONE who doesn’t like it, SHALL not play it,… Whats the Problem?

The problem, as I already stated, is that it’s a bad idea that even Blizzard admitted was a mistake. It creates too many balance issues. A lot of GuildWars 2 is learning from the mistakes of other games and improving on them. This is a mistake they should not repeat.

(edited by DavidGX.1723)

in Suggestions

Raging Bull.5048

The problem, as I already stated, is that it’s a bad idea that even Blizzard admitted was a mistake. It creates too many balance issues. A lot of GuildWars 2 is learning from the mistakes of other games and improving on them. This is a mistake they should not repeat.

As you can see – there is a sea of people that want Arenas real bad. If it was a mistake, people would not want it. Also, WoW is THE most popular/played game EVER in human history, with over 14 million subscribers at one point.

If it was a mistake they’d remove it.

Besides, ANet is in advantage here because they have no gear grind OR dedicated healers. Healers alone made PvP really… Well, let’s just say that some 2v2 matches lasted for 40 minutes.

in Suggestions

Amadeuz.4617

As you can see – there is a sea of people that want Arenas real bad. If it was a mistake, people would not want it. Also, WoW is THE most popular/played game EVER in human history, with over 14 million subscribers at one point.

Besides, ANet is in advantage here because they have no gear grind OR dedicated healers. Healers alone made PvP really… Well, let’s just say that some 2v2 matches lasted for 40 minutes.

Agree, a lot of people here ask for Arena PVP for addition feature not replace any mode in the game, it’s some kind of optional, so if someone don’t like Arena PVP then just don’t play this mode. I don’t see it will bring the bad effect to the entire game. In contradictory, Arena PVP will cater a lot of players who enjoy this feature from other game, because everybody has different taste, why ANet can’t implement the game that can satisfy everyone.

As many said above, ANet is in advantage for Arena PVP over than WoW because of their aspects of the game, no gear dependant, no trinity roles, which take out a lot of big problems that appear from WoW’s Arena PVP.

in Suggestions

DavidGX.1723

They’ve admitted it was a mistake and the constant balance issues it has introduced further proves that. No “if” needed. The window for WoW to remove it has long passed, they’re stuck. No reason to repeat that mistake for this game. If you want that kind of experience, go play a game like WoW that has it.

This game isn’t WoW, that’s a GOOD thing, no need to try and turn it into WoW.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lewis Burnell.2493

Lewis Burnell.2493

5 v 5 arena matches would be fine, but I’d much rather see duals implemented or capture the flag.

in Suggestions

Posted by: lethlora.1320

lethlora.1320

Also agreeing that arenas could easily be detrimental to the game by creating highly situational balance issues that impact the rest of the game negatively. It’s one thing to nerf something that generally is overpowered and another to nerf something only because it is broken in a very specific environment (arena.)

“Put 4/6/whatever people in a box and watch ’em go at it” should not be a high priority.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

So you want a game where , time played> actual skill? Please. The conquest pvp the devs have made so far is good for now and I do hope there will be more modes, just not your stupid WoW arena.

There is no competitiveness unless everyone is on equal playing fields. WoW and many games like WoW are in no way competitive once you put a gear grind in.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Science.6709

Science.6709

I bought a red shirt from you. I demand you make it blue.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

I bought a red shirt from you. I demand you make it blue.

GW had 5v5 Random Arenas.

I understand the frustration though. Sometimes it seems like people here have never played anything other than WoW.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Crixus.8532

Crixus.8532

I am for arena PvP – sry, but for me, WvW is boring. Unless you catch some random ppl off to the side, it’s just a huge zerg fest – roll up to a door, battering ram, kill oil, cloud of smoke – not my thing. Where’s the actual thinking and skill of it when you have such massive numbers? I just like PvP on a smaller scale. I had always liked open-world PvP in other games too… I haven’t played wow in years, and it was all PvE for me when I played it, so don’t put me with the ‘trying to make it like WoW’ crowd. I enjoyed the arena play of GW1. I love this game as it is, it’s just that the current PvP mode right now isn’t appealing, but I play it from time to time just to break up the monotony. Right now, I don’t even see the draw of joining a guild. Maybe I am still oblivious to any advantages? I just join a world and boom, tons of ppl. I didn’t play the Beta – I started with the early-access. Just my thoughts.

— and u don’t need a gear grind to make arena fun imo

in Suggestions

Posted by: Science.6709

Science.6709

not my thing

There it is right there.

I waited for this game for years because of the frenetic chaos that WvW brings. That is my thing. Other games shy away from it. A dozen other games or more have arena type play, so why is it so important that GW2 has it?

If they are indeed working on some sort of competitive ladder for this game, I at least hope that the gear stays in the arenas, and that it doesn’t disincentivize WvW to the point that the maps become ghost towns.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

A lot of people want to be insanely rich so they don’t have to work. What shall we do now?

Point being what people want is not always what’s good for the general setting (be it a game or real life).

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Epyrian.4506

Epyrian.4506

I respectfully disagree with the OP. I love GW2’s PvP because it’s the complete opposite of that of WoW. In WoW you can’t just PvP. No. You have to spend months farming gear. In order to get that gear you have to die continually at the hands of people who have PvP gear. They chop you in half, and you spend the majority of your time feeling like you cannot contribute at all to the game because you haven’t farmed for months PvP gear.

I will literally stop PvPing if GW2 also chooses to go the way of Resilience gear and “better PvP gear for more time spent PvPing.” That is not why I PvP. I PvP because I enjoy fighting other players on equal terms.

PvP to me does not mean “grind” or “farm armor.” That is called “grinding and farming armor.” That’s not what I want out of this MMO. I am completely against Arenas if they give you better PvP gear. I’m fine with them if they do not give you better PvP gear.

The people who play a lot of PvP should not be made stronger through armor at PvP just because of time spent PvPing. PvP should be done on equal footing.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Leaum.4753

Leaum.4753

arenas would be fun
1v1 or duels in the mist, why i cant fight with my friend to pratice?

2v2, 3v3, 4v4, 5v5 without healers would be awesome

also more maps to sPVP with diferent objectives would be nice too

in Suggestions

Posted by: Marrond.1385

Marrond.1385

Yes like wow. Why? Because its the most intense pvp that really test your skill

I’ve stopped reading right there… change dealer man, this drug kills you…

Sometimes it seems like people here have never played anything other than WoW.

Because infact they didn’t… well maybe they would if you include watching youtube videos into “playing” bracket.

Unless you catch some random ppl off to the side

Don’t expect it to not be zerg if you’re asking for it (“hello, where is zerg?”). There are tasks for big amount of people (which without skillful commander and organised people will never get pulled off) and for smaller groups or inviduals. Want challange in WvW and don’t want to participate in zergfest join guerrila groups or even solo pull off something behind enemy lines.

Where’s the actual thinking and skill of it when you have such massive numbers?

You’ve never encountered smart enemy, don’t you?

If you call 1v1 skilled gameplay, how would you call 1v7 when 1 skilled person kill 7 others? And not because of gear, not because of level but because he simply knows what is he doing?

(edited by Marrond.1385)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Marrond.1385

Marrond.1385

double post, sry

in Suggestions

Posted by: brokeit.8346

brokeit.8346

No, the pvp focus in this game is WvW which is why that is the only place to get real rewards for participating in. The other stuff is just to fill time, not to be a total secondary system.

in Suggestions

Posted by: mehhem.1987

mehhem.1987

WoW has arena. You’ll have to live without it in Guild Wars 2.