Titles Need to be More Visible

in Suggestions

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

In Guild Wars 1, WoW, and in SWTOR (the only other major MMO’s that I’ve played) titles that your character earned were all very visible. It’s hard work to get some titles, and I feel like someone having to click on your character, and squint to see little gray font to see the title, which nobody ever does, isn’t giving enough credit to the person that accomplished the achievement.

I want to see the neat things that people have accomplished, and I know many others wish this as well. So, is there any plans on bringing back a title system like the one that was in Guild Wars 1? Where when you moused over the other character, or held ALT you were able to see their title? I would very much like this brought back, because titles are seriously lacking visibility right now.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Stevoli.8795

Stevoli.8795

I feel like someone having to click on your character, and squint to see little gray font to see the title

I didn’t even know you could do that. I selected one of the titles and asked my guild members if they saw the title over my head or anything, and nobody saw anything.

in Suggestions

No Walking.6349

See, that’s how bad it is lol. Yeah if you click on someone with a title enabled, it is displayed right under their health bar on the top of your screen in little light gray font. Terrible way of showing off titles.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bluestone.7106

Bluestone.7106

I think it is fine how it is, if you want to see someones title you look at it, if you don’t want to see it then it is hidden. Everyone wins (or at least everyone should be happy with the reasonable compromise).

My homeworld is Blackgate.
I am a GW2 player in New Zealand.
Check me out on the GW2 wiki.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

I actually like the discreetness. Having titles emblazoned under names just adds clutter to an already busy screen. It would be chaotic in WvW battles.

It’s nice having titles, I see no need to advertise them though. But that’s just me.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

This game was made for zergers not normal people who enjoy small things like looking at peoples titles or standing in towns for chatting. Everything in here has lost even the purpose of showing off. Grinders and farmers are the ones who feel at home in here. Titles only show how much you grinded and not how much skill you have.
The game system separated the players, firstly by server choice, 2ndly by personal storyline with no common goals in common places for all, 3rdly by limiting the dungeon access to friends and organized guilds, 4thly with the multi-guild joining and not representing, etc.
So, who needs titles anymore? In every other MMO which has titels they are the first thing you see when you watch a player, GW1 hid it in a beautiful way leaving it enough visible to motivate players to get them. GW2 just hid them for good.

I would like to invent a suggestion for this but why bother? The community that exists now in GW2 is not worth to have titles.

in Suggestions

Obsidian.1328

^— sheesh!

I wouldn’t go that far at all. I agree with the chatting thing, there should be more of. But I think there will be in time. The slow-levelers(aka the ones that stay with the game) are either not quite to Zhaitan yet, or working on alts, or PvPing. Why not give it some time before giving up on the community?

And btw, I’m not a zerger, but I’m not a title-hunter either. I do vastly enjoy this game and still will take time out to chat, give advice, go out of my way to revive, help friends in lower zones, and joke around in LA. I think you’re being premature.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Suggestions

No Walking.6349

Titles in GW1 didn’t clutter at all, you needed to mouse over the toon or hit ALT to see them, so all those nameplates on your screen will still just be showing nameplates. Titles need to be more visible like in GW1…

in Suggestions

Obsidian.1328

No Walking Yeah…unless you’re a mouse-targeting dinosaur like me. =(

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Suggestions

Posted by: Deathecus.9350

Deathecus.9350

I totally keep forgetting about titles existing in this game. It would be nice if they displayed without having to target players and looking under their health bar for regular looking text.

Dystopia – Jade Quarry (US)
http://dystopiagw2.enjin.com/

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rafe Mathews.2308

Rafe Mathews.2308

I actually agree with Ronah. An actual functioning community doesn’t seem to exist outside of map chatting which seems to be heavily plagued by trolling at various occasions. Dungeon groups are usually quiet unless someone did something wrong, then xx person is kitten at yy person. It’s a major annoyance. ALTHOUGH, I hesitate to blame GW2 wholly because I think it’s the MMO community in general that’s been corrupted and headed downhill. I do think that there isn’t enough GROUP content. Everything seems to be a Zerg. DEs are laughable zergs that don’t require any communication at all, in most situations. Wvwvw was a cool ideal but it too suffers from zergers. Spvp same thing. At this point I don’t see what titles matter or not because not many, if any at all, actually takes the time to see a title and strike up a convo.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Stron Magnesson.8017

Stron Magnesson.8017

Simple solution: keep the titles where they are, but change the color to a brighter one, maybe with a fancy font or {bookends} to make it stand out.

With regards to the community, as a whole i’ve found it to be rather chatty and friendly (i play on Isle of Janthir), only rude people i’ve really run into (directed at me personally) were in the Heart of the Mists, which i expect from a PvP zone… My broader experience across many games is that your hard core PvPers have a general disregard for other players on principal.

GW2 seems to have PvP as the inevitable end game, so i suspect we will be drawing more of that crowd as time goes on.

I wouldn’t start a conversation with someone because of their title unless i were looking to get that title myself. This being said, i like the way Everquest 2 did titles, as a addon to the name, rather than a sub-title.

Deathecus the Slayer.
Rafe Mathews the Healer.
Obsidian the Stout.
No Walking the Explorer.
Ronah the Avenger.

Titles should be more cool than that of course, but this is just a general idea.

(edited by Stron Magnesson.8017)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ceejay.4670

Ceejay.4670

I loved the GW1 title system and I was very surprised to see it didn’t make it to GW2. In my other favourite mmo I have spent a crazy amount of time earning achievements and titles but there just isn’t the same incentive in GW2 and that makes me a sad panda

in Suggestions

Posted by: pdg.8462

pdg.8462

I feel like someone having to click on your character, and squint to see little gray font to see the title

I didn’t even know you could do that. I selected one of the titles and asked my guild members if they saw the title over my head or anything, and nobody saw anything.

Ha ha, me either! I selected one of my HoM titles but had no idea where they show up. I just assumed it was yet another broken aspect of the game.

But yeah, titles should be [Character Name], [Title] and hover over our character not needing to do anything (e.g., click) other than looking at them. So something like “Fizzbin, The Kitten Slayer”.

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

The only thing I’ll change is giving each title an icon.
Like the ‘start’ you get after getting 100%, you would also get an icon representing your title that would also appear next to your level.
If you had both a title selected and 100% map completion, the title icon could appear next to the 100% star, showing both.
Or maybe instead of it, only one icon would be shown, and the star icon would be shown if you select “Been there, done that” as your title.
Then if people is curious about what title is linked to that icon, they’ll click on you and read it.

Or maybe there could be up to 5 icons next to your level based on the things you do.
- PvP progres: Bunny, deer, dolyak, etc.
- Highest WvW title: Aggressor, besierger, chaperone, etc…
- Map exploration: Bronze star (60% e.g.: explored at least all in vanilla), silver star (80% map explored also one expansion), golden star (explored everything)
- Your selected title.
- Story progress: Valiant, Hero of Shaemoor, Savant, Warmaster, Lightbringer, etc…

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)