Tome of Knowledge purchasable w/ Skill Points

in Suggestions

Posted by: J Season.9156

J Season.9156

The utility of skill points, in their current state, greatly degrades late-game; especially after you are geared.

For those of us with 200, 300, 400, or (I’ve even seen) 500 extra skill points, I’m sure we wish we could use them somehow. If you have played for that long on a single character, it would be helpful to have those points count for something…. on a different character.

The Tome of Knowledge is a book that will grant you one level to a character. If you could spend your excess skill points on one, it would be extremely helpful for those that have multiple 80’s to be able to explore a new class without having to grind yet another 1-80.

10 or 15 skill points sounds reasonable. Meaning you would have leveled up a level 80 10 or 15 additional times to obtain 1 Tome of Knowledge.

Baumchen

in Suggestions

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

This would be fantastic if they cost ~10 skill points each, making it a reliable alternative to leveling alts.

in Suggestions

Posted by: BlademasterRonin.4167

BlademasterRonin.4167

Absolutely agree with this one. I am sitting on 200+ skill points on one character and 75+ on a second one. I would love to be able to convert those to levels for an alt, even at a 10-15 sp cost per level. Even adding in a crafting materials cost (leather, gold, dust, any crafting material really) or gold cost would not bother me. Also, would be nice to add in a way just to move sp’s between characters, similar to the Star of Transference from GW1 (http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Star_of_Transference).

in Suggestions

Posted by: Luiz Swordbreaker.6547

Luiz Swordbreaker.6547

This would be awesome.
Got 500 Skill Points on my mesmer, around 100 on guardian…but I’m way too lazy to level other alts :/

[Scnd] Use Your Illusion

in Suggestions

Posted by: AngelicLoki.1625

AngelicLoki.1625

While transferring skill points would be awesome, I think I’d rather see them add crystals and stones to crafting recipes. Example: use 10 crystals to craft an exotic instead of ecto. That gives end game crafting a “profit”, since you convert your skill points to gold, and it gives people a skill point sink.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

I like both the idea presented by the OP as well as AngelicLoki

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kadin.3086

Kadin.3086

nah. im not interested. please give me more terrible gem store armor skins please

in Suggestions

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Awesome idea!

Fifteencharsandwhatnot

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

in Suggestions

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

Or you could just make skill points account bound like a currency (which it basically is)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

So basically you want to gain a massive benefit by spending things which are not that useful to yourself?

Not going to happen. Especially not with items that grant skillpoints easily available.

Your experience on one profession means nothing on another. The mechanics between professions are that different. If anything, I consider getting a free “level up to 20” scroll after a year of playing to be a fair deal.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

If anything, I consider getting a free “level up to 20” scroll after a year of playing to be a fair deal.

People who have multiple characters get plenty, I had a bunch of lowbies to keep some names reserved and as a result I now have six of those 20-scrolls. It is a so-so deal at best. Chances are you have already tried the other professions and the people who are really into alts have all of those past 20 after a year.

Besides for sPvP you get a level 80 regardless of the time spent in PvE, so really gaining experience on the profession is not a good argument against the things suggested here when people who want to play competitively can skip that for nothing.

(edited by Crise.9401)

in Suggestions

J Season.9156

Your experience on one profession means nothing on another.

That’s the point, if you have 5 characters, each of a different class, you most likely want to explore other classes. Anyone who has leveled at least one character to 80 knows that this milestone is only the beginning of the game. The understanding and skill required to play a class comes long after reaching level 80.

For someone with this understanding and extra skill points, it would make sense to decrease the 1-80 grind (since the primary source of skill points are from the continued gain of experience).

And just like your experience on one or more profession(s) means nothing on another…. The ability to grind 1-80 also means absolutely nothing about your skill on that character. An example of this from my own experience is that my first character was a necro, which I got to 80 very easily, but you wouldn’t catch me dead playing it.

Baumchen

in Suggestions

Posted by: slurpey.6014

slurpey.6014

they just added that tome to the tri chest and I think they rather keep it rng to acquire than actually making it available to the public for skill points. I however like the idea since I have plenty of skill points available.

in Suggestions

J Season.9156

With the addition of Tomes of Knowledge to the PvP reward area, I think this suggestion could be possibly implemented with a similar structure…

Skill Points + Gold for a tome. More friendly for players that don’t PvP. Right now having it only in PvP is a bit exclusive to people who don’t venture there much… like WvW players, and even some PvE players.

Baumchen

(edited by J Season.9156)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Brushfire.3125

Brushfire.3125

I could see this driving new character slot sales. Which would drive gem sales, it might be a good idea.