Too stingy

Too stingy

in Suggestions

Posted by: Anwar.2018

Anwar.2018

New player

Pretty game, good innovative charactors, interesting quests….not bad at all…BUT

Dying way too often. Probably because it is because I’m starting so late into the game so very little help to keep the mob population down, they spawn before you can work through them, and no money to twink….and….would it kill you to loosen up with money a little bit so a guy could improve his toon a little to stay alive? and why is it that ingredients for early crafting are so ridiculously scarce?

Good game, but a little hard if you are starting this late into it. Oh well, I’m a gonna try again, I’m through venting.

(edited by Anwar.2018)

Too stingy

in Suggestions

Posted by: pmnt.4067

pmnt.4067

Seems that I have to be the one to say it, so: L2P.

The whole combat system is about actively avoiding damage. You can use nearly every skill while moving and circle-strafing around your target avoids A LOT of damage especially at lower levels.

In case you didn’t know: Every class is able to dodge. Press V to dodge back or double tab W, A, S or D to dodge in other directions (with default keybinds). You’re invulnerable while dodging. Each dodge roll costs the half of your endurance bar (the yellow bar above your health)

No, that’s not an evil plan to make money from the cash shop – if you die a lot, the overpriced and underpowered boosts from the shop won’t help you.

Crafting is a money SINK, you pay basically for faster level up (mastering one crafting discipline nets 10 whole levels). I’d gather the materials and sell them on the trading post, or use them to level your twink faster.

For specific tips: What profession, level, zone are you?

I can’t wait until ANet releases the game promoted in the manifesto.
Until that, I’ll play GW2.

Too stingy

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I agree 100% with the op the whole remove loot and population losses have made playing a new character downright tedious and expensive.. other than Queensdale i can see why the starting areas are so barren of players..

Its not about learning to play its about nerfing the open world so much its no longer fun to play..

If i had not had multiple lv 80s (that i made 4 months ago before the rewards went to pot) to back up and fund my new alts i’d have moved on from this game long ago.

(edited by Dante.1508)

Too stingy

in Suggestions

Posted by: Anwar.2018

Anwar.2018

I just want to earn or make my own stuff, all part of the game. ( I consider spending real money cheating) and I don’t mind it being a little hard, but it is frustrating to play for weeks and not even 1 gold and no where near enough ingredients to make anything useful yet. Well, maybe it gets better later…it’s not really all that bad, I still make it through eventually. I’m looking forward to making my own stuff…just seems to take too long to get matierials to level up crafting and make something useful…by the time you get to making anything, you’ve outleveled it.

Still having fun, just think a little nudge in crafting would help a lot in the beginning.

(Oh I see above that loot and crafting used to be better? I had heard that this game wasn’t bad and fun for folks who don’t need extreme challenge or twitch or grind or hardcore raiding guild to enjoy, guess I came along after a nerf. Question: Is the game going toward hardcore players only at level cap?)

(edited by Anwar.2018)

Too stingy

in Suggestions

Posted by: The Blue Ace.2850

The Blue Ace.2850

oh if you think the open world is newplayer unfriendly wait till you play some dungeons!

Too stingy

in Suggestions

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

You’ll get used to it. It takes a while, but you get better—just keep at it. And once you level up, there are a number of excellent, easy ways to get gold. Once you start bringing money in, the waypoint and repair costs won’t be a problem.

Here’s a tip: Don’t stay in one place while you fight. Move around, dodge attacks, and keep the enemy on their toes. If you’re melee, keep a secondary ranged weapon so if your health gets low you can jump back, shoot ranged attacks, and avoid being hit.
Also, crafting is USELESS. It costs a ton of gold and time, but the armor you get is rarely worth it. Most people don’t know that, or don’t care… so you can gain good $$ by selling all your crafting materials

I’m not rich by any means, but I get a good income from…
-Doing dungeon runs. After you complete the “story mode” version of the dungeons, you can find a party and run through explorer mode very quickly for a good amount of money. It takes a couple times through to get the hang of it, but then it’s a simple task. Ask your teammates what to do.

-Collecting crafting materials, like copper ore, and selling them on the trading post. People will pay good money for crafting materials.

-Selling rare weapons (golds), which you don’t need, on the trading post.

-Running around and doing heart quests/events. This doesn’t get you huge amounts of money, but you get some for the quests and you can sell the various items you pick up.

Too stingy

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

What are you playing? One thing to keep in mind is that each profession has a vastly different playstyle, and it may be that the tactics you are using are just not viable, resulting in you dying over and over. Each profession is designed with a certain mechanic in mind, and often once you discover this mechanic and realise “this is the way the profession was meant to be played!”, everything just clicks together.

One common example is the Elementalist. I often see a lot of Ele players just stick with one Attunement throughout an entire battle. This isn’t “wrong”; I sometimes do it myself because I’m lazy and I know I could kill these enemies with nothing but Fire, but the true magic of an Elementalist comes when you switch between multiple Attunements in a battle. Start off with Earth for heavy Bleeds and snares, then switch to Fire and blast them while they struggle to close the distance. When they get close, switch to Air and push them back. If you need healing, switch to Water. Otherwise, by now Earth should have recharged, so switch back to Earth and start all over again.

Too stingy

in Suggestions

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Might be a keybind issue. Arenanet’s default keybinds are terrible. I played the default keybind once and I understand how easy it is to die in this game.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Too stingy

in Suggestions

Posted by: Inkubus.7529

Inkubus.7529

Hey Anwar.2018 I think I understand what you are talking about. I had similar problem with my main even when I had 3 days headstart. I like to craft my own gear and crafting system is great in this game but you can fall into trap to have greater need for crafting materials to reach next level of crafting.

The big problem is, drop rate for materials is extremely low and you need more than you can gather (on every level). So for my main I was so slow to progress as I farmed mats and didn’t want to take “some gear” while realizing my crafted gear is better. You are left at mercy of TPers to give you some (hardly that will happen) or to go trough pain and level your first toon to 80. When you start second, you will realize all those mats from first toon remain in your materials bank and becomes easier. But if this is biggest obstacle on your first toon, then there is no help except charity I mentioned.

As for money, well let’s say a very small percentage of people don’t have that problem. It is really hard to earn 1 gold. Most people invest time into TP and do great job there (which I am not against but farmers should earn a lot too) or go trough Fractal of the Mists dungeon that give nice drops on higher levels of dungeon.

Regarding the combat it self, in my opinion, hardest way would be to level ele on staff only , glass cannon build to 80. As reward, you will learn so well evading skills that all your other toons will benefit from. Dodging is essential for any profession(class) in GW2 and some tips you can find on YouTube.

Inkarius [ele] Inkores [war] Inkratos [ran] Inkariosa [nec] MaINK The Liar [thf] Inklusion [msmr]

Too stingy

in Suggestions

Posted by: Isende.2607

Isende.2607

you know, back during the betas, i realized i had to basically relearn how to play games. ya see, first of all? i didn’t use a mouse. up to that point, i could run as a healer, tank, or dps from the keyboard, and quite successfully. that CERTAINLY changed when i started playing gw2. then? dodge, huh? i had to train myself to learn to dodge, because without dodge, no MATTER how well geared you are, you’re gonna get your butt chewed on a good bit.

then came strafing. naturally, never having used a mouse, i never really strafed. further, at least when healing, and most dps, i COULDN’T move much — tanking was the only time i could and SHOULD move a bit while playing. but gw2 rewrote that, too, so i could do nearly everything while moving. meant that the baddies were probably built so i HAD to move.

the days of standing in one place, toe-to-toeing against bad guys, is largely over, at least in gw2. you must learn to be mobile, you must learn to ration your self-heal, you must learn many many new things. i’m betting, though, you’re a step up on me — you probably already know how to use a mouse, right?

don’t get frustrated, don’t give up, but do commit yourself to relearning things. using dodge. using your “burst” skills (F1, F2, and so on). strafing/moving while casting.

as for earning a gold? that DOES get easier, over time. it comes with experience, like any other game. now, without working at it, i can earn a gold in an evening’s play — that’s NOT working at it. if i work at it, craft things to sell, sell specific crafting mats that i know are in low supply, etc etc etc it’s not unreasonable for me to net 5-8 gold in an evening. learn the trading post, learn the difference between your sale price and the profit. learn the difference between the “highest buyer” and “lowest seller,” learn when to post within each. learn what mats make “mighty” gear, since those are the mats, at least in the first 40 levels, that will sell higher.

good luck to you, this game IS fun, it IS enjoyable, but it IS a new element, chock full of new things to learn.

Too stingy

in Suggestions

Posted by: Knight.1084

Knight.1084

New player

Pretty game, good innovative charactors, interesting quests….not bad at all…BUT

Dying way too often. Probably because it is because I’m starting so late into the game so very little help to keep the mob population down, they spawn before you can work through them, and no money to twink….and….would it kill you to loosen up with money a little bit so a guy could improve his toon a little to stay alive? and why is it that ingredients for early crafting are so ridiculously scarce?

Good game, but a little hard if you are starting this late into it. Oh well, I’m a gonna try again, I’m through venting.

What your saying is very valid and funny enough I am relating to exact same “issue” as of since last playing the game (an hour ago)