Turn off "Titles" below Nameplate

in Suggestions

Posted by: Manoa.5897

Manoa.5897

It wouldn’t be nearly as obnoxious if 1) the title text size was smaller, 2) some titles weren’t so kitten long (“God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals” being the worst offender), and 3) we had the option to turn viewing of titles off.

WvW is a sea of alphabet soup now and it’s pretty annoying.

Chaos Spatulai [Chef] | Paragon City Elite [PCE]
Henge of Denravi

in Suggestions

Posted by: slingblade.1437

slingblade.1437

Anet, give us a variety of options, please.

Toggle names on and off.
Toggle “Blackgate Invader” on or off.
Give us an option to shorten the server names (i.e. Jade Quarry Invader = JQ Invader, Sanctum of Rall Invader = SOR Invader)

Even before the culling fix and extended nameplates, this was what I wanted, in particular the shortened server names.

in Suggestions

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

A shockingly bad idea. Please please, especially for us color-blind people

Seriously curious: how does your color-blindness impact the visibility of the name/title display?

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

in Suggestions

Posted by: gassy.8975

gassy.8975

+1. I don’t care if you did 20 jump puzzles, or found a secret coin buried in some lake.

lolol so true.

Please allow people to turn off the titles. All they do is clutter up the screen. I’d rather see more of the beautiful scenery and a lot less text.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Manoa.5897

Manoa.5897

A shockingly bad idea. Please please, especially for us color-blind people

Seriously curious: how does your color-blindness impact the visibility of the name/title display?

I could see how it would be a struggle for red/green colorblind folks. The invader text is red. The new “no culling” stand in models are green or red, depending on the side. If the title text (a neutral white, which is easily visible to the red/green colorblind) goes away, having only the red invader text and red or green stand-in models make it very difficult (or even impossible, depending on the magnitude of a person’s colorblindness) for red/green colorblind folks to see invaders on the map.

Chaos Spatulai [Chef] | Paragon City Elite [PCE]
Henge of Denravi

(edited by Manoa.5897)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Voradors.5381

Voradors.5381

My entire guild and I were wishing that this was an option last night.

Should really allow it to be toggled on and off.

Voradors – Elementalist
Kesshin [Shin] guild leader

in Suggestions

Posted by: Brassnautilus.2941

Brassnautilus.2941

All these titleless scrubs afraid of people seeing who you really were?

KEEP SHOWING THE TITLES

in Suggestions

Posted by: Brassnautilus.2941

Brassnautilus.2941

There’s no way these name tags interfered with fighting in any way. All the info currently displayed are useful, they give you a little idea of who this guy you were fighting against was. In fact, they are necessary for properly IDing targets in a mixed confrontation.

bottom line, people are just making up excuses for their incompetence. Just like all that QQ on thief forum. Should probably look into the blizzard franchises if you wanted care bear stuff….

in Suggestions

Posted by: Yohimbe.1876

Yohimbe.1876

Removing culling was great, but holygods the screen clutter!
Give me two new options:
1 – turn off player titles
2- use abbreviated server names (example: SBI Invader/CD Invader/Mag Invader)

Chay Darkhaven – SBI
Leader of The Ethereal Guard
Huzzah!

in Suggestions

Posted by: kerona.3465

kerona.3465

There’s no way these name tags interfered with fighting in any way. All the info currently displayed are useful, they give you a little idea of who this guy you were fighting against was. In fact, they are necessary for properly IDing targets in a mixed confrontation.

bottom line, people are just making up excuses for their incompetence. Just like all that QQ on thief forum. Should probably look into the blizzard franchises if you wanted care bear stuff….

I give this troll attempt a C-. Needs more logic, even shady logic, to provoke actual response.

Maguuma [PYRO]
Oblyth, Mes ~ Nadeshiko Naito, War ~ Hwertu, Gua
Evenree, Necro (M) ~ Ran Still Died, Thief

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mauri.1496

Mauri.1496

I could not agree more. I shouldn’t have to be forced to see everyone’s titles. I mean, from an achievement standpoint, they are rather cool, but we definitely should have the option. I like it a great deal when I can simply select a player and see their information. I would much rather not have my screen cluttered with useless information.

Aside from that, I have always thought (much like people have mentioned in other forums) that names should appear in the color that server is playing during the week. Currently, our server is in the red position, so our nameplates would be red. Blackgate is currently in the blue position so their nameplates should be blue. Jade Quarry is in the green position so their nameplates should be green. Making this change and removing the “server name” would make the visuals of the game in WvW more appealing.

Currently, when a large group explodes onto your screen, all visuals are lost and are replaced with a massive blob words. If I wanted to see that much text, I’d simply pick up a book.

On a positive note, it is nice to have culling removed. Being able to see the zerg now is a plus in many ways.

Mauri
Despicable [ME]

(edited by Mauri.1496)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nilgoow.1037

Nilgoow.1037

+1 for dungeon masters and combat medics.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Woaden.9425

Woaden.9425

I think names should be done away with for enemy servers all together. I wouldn’t even mind if allies displayed no name, and we could see from mousing over or clicking, like with npcs.

I would prefer circles/dots above the enemies head, which would be red/green/blue. The only titles in wvw that anyone cares about are the wvw titles, to see how experienced someone is. So those titles could have a scheme within the circle, like a military rank or somesuch.

Kole —Thief
youtube

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cicero.3492

Cicero.3492

But how will Santa ever tell who his Apprentice Toymakers are for next Christmas if he cant see the titles?

But anyways +1 for some sort of option to get rid of titles in WvW. Pretty sure my left eye had a mild stroke last night when a JQ and BG zerg combined to form a massive text bubble on my screen

in Suggestions

Posted by: kerona.3465

kerona.3465

I think names should be done away with for enemy servers all together. I wouldn’t even mind if allies displayed no name, and we could see from mousing over or clicking, like with npcs.

I would prefer circles/dots above the enemies head, which would be red/green/blue. The only titles in wvw that anyone cares about are the wvw titles, to see how experienced someone is. So those titles could have a scheme within the circle, like a military rank or somesuch.

You can already turn off names.

Maguuma [PYRO]
Oblyth, Mes ~ Nadeshiko Naito, War ~ Hwertu, Gua
Evenree, Necro (M) ~ Ran Still Died, Thief

in Suggestions

Posted by: iowen.4217

iowen.4217

please option to turn it off

in Suggestions

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

The only upside to this is that at least mesmer clones have the titles underneath.. That used to be a dead give away.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kreen.3925

Kreen.3925

I +1 this.

I would also like to extend it. Could I have an option to put a small blue, red or green dot above someones head instead of the entire nameplate/title please?

It really does make you wonder who tested this stuff before it went live….

I fight for JQ.
Kreen – Warrior L80, Mono Lith – Guardian L80
Higgsbosun – Thief L80, Silvron – Ranger L80.

in Suggestions

Posted by: aaron.7850

aaron.7850

I would like if Arenanet would respond to this thread, its a shame that a game known for its “play the game, not the UI” minimalistic design went the wrong way and now my sceen is cluttered with unneccesary information I really dont need.

in Suggestions

Posted by: silverfire.2547

silverfire.2547

+1

As a side note, mesmers: if you were displaying a title to begin with, you’re giving your enemies yet another bug to exploit to find the real you.

Mira Alluvion (Me) | Hanna Bulwark (W) | Sophie Dusthaven (Th)
[CoSA]/[WWGD] // Sorrow’s Furnace (since August 2012) US West Evening Shift

in Suggestions

Posted by: gwawer.9805

gwawer.9805

pllleeease turn it off. it is so annoying clutter UI

in Suggestions

Posted by: Yams.6082

Yams.6082

Bump to get this to first page.

Also reaffirming my agreement.

Yams One/Two/Three/Four/Five/Six
SBI

in Suggestions

Posted by: Boo.5743

Boo.5743

+1

Last night there were commanders begging people to turn off the titles. Why offer low-res models and then impose a wall of text on everybody. It makes no sense.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wothan.4673

Wothan.4673

The funny thing is, Anet don’t allow to see ennemy name because it’s a mass war, individual are nothing vs the collective and some other BS like this .. but make the personal title of each ppl apparent…

If you thing we can’t know the name of our ennemy, why we can know their title individually ?

Nahtow – [SR] Soul Reapers
Jade Quarry

in Suggestions

Posted by: MarMaster.6241

MarMaster.6241

Bump, Titles should be an option. They are way too space consuming, almost anywhere. Also like server “short names” idea.

Dragonbrand (JQ) [FIRE]bats ~ Trusted member of the Universe
Mar Steadfast G, Silent Intrigue T, Mar Fidget Engi, Mar Fierce W, Silent Awe M
In GW2 since BWE1 ~ ~ ~ Guild leader of Legio Romana [LR], too

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fegelein.7026

Fegelein.7026

I know there were a lot of people who requested this visible title feature, but most of them are probably PVE people. To be fair, I think there should be an option to remove the visibility of the title just for WvW. Nobody really cares about titles in WvW, and the added feature just clutters the UI with uneccessary stuff that is completely not needed in PvP. I hope they address this issue quickly on the next patch.

in Suggestions

Posted by: loneknight.8425

loneknight.8425

+1 for dungeon masters and combat medics.

Is it bad that I focused on these group of people first, than those who do not show their title?

The thief who did dat – Crystal Desert

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shadow Gathering.5649

Shadow Gathering.5649

Taking the idea further, WvW could have a whole new element of cat and mouse strategy if we did not have huge red permanent identifiers above our heads at all.

As it is, huge red text ensure that sneaking and hiding is pretty close to impossible without stealth. Red text become visible long before the enemy himself, and it is even visible through walls. What do you think about everyone having only a small title/id (like an abbreviated server name) that only appears when a player targets or scrolls over an enemy. At all other times enemies will merely have a corporal form, no identification at all. That way individuals and groups could actually sneak and hide. It would change how individuals and zergs move, the tactics they use, and there would be a new element of camouflage.

Maybe i’m missing some drawback to this suggestion, but it seems like a pretty great modification to me.

Rockrain
FA

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cicero.3492

Cicero.3492

It would make things more interesting at times I bet and add a little more strategy into attacks, instead of the massive red ball of text vs the massive green wall of text.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lifewaster.5912

Lifewaster.5912

The titles are terrible when theres a lot of names on the screen.
60 names alone takes up alot of screen, with the titles added on each name takes up the space of 2-3 names.

Turning off names isnt a solution in wvw, we still need to see the names to get full awareness of the battle. If theres 80 enemys over there I need to know that. But I dont need to have my screen additionally blocked up with white text junk.

Please revert it to the way it was, only showing titles if you specifically target them. A toggle option would be good either.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aridia.3042

Aridia.3042

I would go a step further than just making titles removable, they should abbreviate server name for characters for those up close to you. Instead of Jade Quarry Invader, it should be JQ Invader.

Then implement a server crest logo for every server. For everyone that’s really far away from you, only show the crest in the ranking colour of that server so you can get a better sense of how many there are.

So much clutter currently and it’s absolutely ugly to look at on max settings.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ThaOwner.7560

ThaOwner.7560

yeah i like to show off my title but im fine if someone had to click on me to see it, for now i turn it off for the consideration of other people until they give us an option to hide it (back to how it orginally was) if we so chose

Tybstra| Everything Purple [EP] | Maguuma

in Suggestions

Posted by: Perphection.8209

Perphection.8209

Please let us determine if we want to see this or not. It’s obstructing our view! How can I appropriately choose targets when I can’t even see them because there is a giant wall of text?

Moose Man Jones [vT]
- Charr Warrior
- Charr Necromancer

in Suggestions

Posted by: Perphection.8209

Perphection.8209

All these titleless scrubs afraid of people seeing who you really were?

KEEP SHOWING THE TITLES

The ONLY titles you’re going to get are PvE, you will not EVER in your entire WvW career obtain one of the titles currently available. That being said, take your “Dungeon Master” title out of WvW.

Moose Man Jones [vT]
- Charr Warrior
- Charr Necromancer

in Suggestions

Posted by: DevonCarver.5370

DevonCarver.5370

WvW Coordinator

As with any change we are aware of the concerns about titles, nameplates, and screen clutter and we are investigating what we can do about all of these things to try and improve the experience now that you can see so many people on screen.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Claire.4683

Claire.4683

remove titles… investigation complete.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Quae.5431

Quae.5431

EverQuest has a ton of options for stuff like this (which is one of the many things that makes that game fantastic, imo), like you can do “/shownames 1” for just seeing a person’s first name or “/shownames all” if you wanted to see everything like first name, last name, guild tag, etc. I’d love to see an option like that here.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chesire.9043

Chesire.9043

I’m curious why new things like this are implemented WITHOUT the option to turn it off as a standard idea. It really just boggles the mind; more options are almost always better!

Also, speaking of nameplates and such, could you guys please look at the text issues with small interfaces? Reading stuff has really been an issues (especially on the TP) since Beta. It isn’t a HUGE issue but it does hurt the eyes sometimes.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Odd Magnet.3970

Odd Magnet.3970

As with any change we are aware of the concerns about titles, nameplates, and screen clutter and we are investigating what we can do about all of these things to try and improve the experience now that you can see so many people on screen.

seriously?
You need to investigate this?
There should’ve been a toggle in the first place.
How did you get to asume that most players would like that their screen will cluttered with titles? In some places the names alone were too much, now it only need half the people to have your screen full of characters and less of the beautfiful GW2 world

I don’t attract, I don’t repel. That’s kinda odd

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

Titles should only appear if you mouse is hovering over the character or you have them selected, but for them to be showing constantly 24/7 is ridiculous. A title does not deserve as much attention as a players name and their avatar…

… I still want tengu.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Andrew.4506

Andrew.4506

I’m really glad you guys realize this is something that should be addressed. Personal suggestion:

Default: If player names are shown then titles are shown
Option: Hide title display for all players

If a character is selected, show the title regardless of settings.
If the mouse is hovered over a character, show the title regardless of settings.

I think this will get people wanting to display their titles the maximum exposure while at the same time being able to hide that information if a player is in a situation where it is distracting/causes screen clutter/hides other player’s names.

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

If you let people hid them always, many will do that, and then the “showoff” factor of the titles is lost. It doesn’t matter if there’s people who do not care about titles, some get them to show them off.
This change gave titles the value they should have had since release. Very few people bothers to click on other players to see their titles, many didn’t even knew about titles.
Much like you don’t have an option to hide legendaries, you can’t do that with titles. There must be limits.

But when there’s a lot of clutter, titles can’t be seen anyways, so then it doesn’t matter if you force people to see them or not, they probably won’t see them.

Because of that, the logical thing to do is hiding them when enough names overlap with other creature names and models, cluttering the screen. More than 10 creatures within 200 square units or so.

That way they show when they would be clearly visible, and they are hidden when they would only get in the way.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Suggestions

Posted by: D I V A.6018

D I V A.6018

What is all this terrible qq-ing about?
All of you playing PvE incuding WvW: Gaining titles is a huge chunk of the PvE experience. They title-letters below the nme plates aren’t are far less visible than the name plates themselves. I have a feeling that most of the hate against title displays comes from nothing but jealousy.

in Suggestions

Posted by: raptor.1064

raptor.1064

yes, i am super jealous of the 5000 volunteers and combat healers i see every day, they must have worked so hard for those titles

in Suggestions

Posted by: Praise.8162

Praise.8162

I would like option to turn on off names too,

Just have a bar or nothing above their heads

With new low models, I can tell which team they belong to

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I would like option to turn on off names too,

Just have a bar or nothing above their heads

With new low models, I can tell which team they belong to

You can already do that.

Just check the options panel.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Quae.5431

Quae.5431

What is all this terrible qq-ing about?
All of you playing PvE incuding WvW: Gaining titles is a huge chunk of the PvE experience. They title-letters below the nme plates aren’t are far less visible than the name plates themselves. I have a feeling that most of the hate against title displays comes from nothing but jealousy.

No it comes from the fact that i dont need my screen all cluttered up. Unfortunately, my computer is not awesome and i have neither a big ol’ monitor nor a super fast gaming computer. I want the option to turn off everything i possibly can during a dragon event just so i can not lag out and die. I have several titles to chose from, myself, and if other people want to hide them that’s fine by me. It doesn’t make my humble achievements any less valuable or the time spent getting them any less fun.

I also really do not like the color that the titles are in (it’s just white, I guess, but it bugs me). Is there a way to change that? I can’t check right now but I guess I should poke around in the options next time I’m on because it’d be great if I could change text colors.

(edited by Quae.5431)

in Suggestions

Posted by: lunawisp.2378

lunawisp.2378

I went into the swamp in Queensdale today to fight the behemoth. All I could see was a sea of text jiggling around. Frankly, it looks ridiculous.

One dragon, voluminous text all over the place bouncing around and a load of players who don’t actually appear till the thing is dead.

Found pottering around on Desolation (EU).
lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

in Suggestions

Posted by: HuntsForge.3260

HuntsForge.3260

Turn off player names, hold ctrl or alt(I cant remember which) when you want to see them. Works beautifully and I wish I had done it sooner, works like it did in gw1.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

Turn off player names, hold ctrl or alt(I cant remember which) when you want to see them. Works beautifully and I wish I had done it sooner, works like it did in gw1.

Not a good idea in WvW.

Anyway please turn off titles and make nameplates shorter, we don’t need all that information and great big long nameplates across the screens, well not in WvW anyway.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.